As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Movie] Thread brought to you by Ang Lee in 120 FPS

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I have lost my wallet fourteen times this week. Not exaggerating. It’s always turned out to be in a pocket or the bottom of a bag, but when I’m stressed I cannot keep anything in my head for more than thirty seconds.

Yesterday I stopped on the way out the door to water a plant and somehow left my lunch behind.

It's like that time you took that home wine making course and forgot how to drive.

that was the botulism and alcohol poisoning

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Botulism AND alcohol poisoning? Way to show off, Nic!

• TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Man, all the talk about the movie; "Parasite", my dumb, lizard brain automatically wanted to add the, "Eve" , part to it.

Fuck y'all a person can dream alright !

Ticaldfjam on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    Man, all the talk about the movie; "Parasite", my dumb, lizard brain automatically wanted to add the, "Eve" , part to it.

lemme get some uhhhhhhhhh

M I T O C H O N D R I A

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    hello fellow teens I hear the coolest place for teens to hang out is T H E C O L O S S A L P I L L A R O F M I T O C H O N D R I A let's go don't bring weapons

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Top 5 that I feel actually, legitimately comfortable with, in order:

1. Annihilation
    2. Midsommar
    3. Happy Death Day
    4. Suspiria 2018
    5. Climax

Everything else I feel not right if I don't mention/recommend, in no particular order:

A Simple Favor
    The Favourite
    Ready Or Not
    Let Me In
    Under The Skin
    The Forest Of Love
    Dolemite Is My Name
    Parasite
    The Lighthouse
    Bliss
    Us
    Booksmart
    Captain Marvel
    The Last Black Man In San Francisco
    The Perfection
    Halloween 2018
    Knife+Heart
    Teen Titans GO to the Movies
    Game Night
    Miseducation of Cameron Post
    Assassination Nation
    Won't You Be My Neighbor?
    The Babysitter
    mother!
    Dunkirk
    The Florida Project
    Thoroughbreds
    Moonlight
    La La Land
    Shin Godzilla
    Colossal
    The Shallows
    The Neon Demon
    Raw
    Southbound
    When Marnie Was There
    The Witch
    Frozen
    Why Don't You Play In Hell?
    Evil Dead 2013
    I Saw The Devil
    Black Swan
    Call Me By Your Name
    Mad Max Fury Road

No way I could narrow it down/forget about even half of those. I know there's stuff I'm forgetting, but this feels like all my must-haves

Oh hey would you look at that

PSA: if you're looking for a great holiday gift for yourself and/or others, the DVD of Annihilation is currently $5 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Annihilation-Natalie-Portman/dp/B079ZV7BVB $10 for DVD+BluRay+Digital combo pack

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I watched the new Terminator and it's great

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Finally saw a trailer for Knives out and that looks like a fun time.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The Mortal Engines was a lot of fun

I mean it's extremely dumb, it's Howl's Moving Barter Towns having themselves a Hunger Game

But it's still fun

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I have lost my wallet fourteen times this week. Not exaggerating. It’s always turned out to be in a pocket or the bottom of a bag, but when I’m stressed I cannot keep anything in my head for more than thirty seconds.

Yesterday I stopped on the way out the door to water a plant and somehow left my lunch behind.

I have hung up on people because I lost my phone.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I just watched Paradise Hills. Gonna be thinking about this one for a while.

Shame it didn't get into more theaters, it would have been great to see on a big screen.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Bad Times at the El Royale.

1) not very Tarantino.
    2) its not accurate to say it is bad, but it is very silly and not good in parts. Theres a good movie in there somewhere though.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Just had my mind blown by the revelation that the main character in Forbidden Planet is played by Leslie Nielsen.

I knew he did a lot of serious roles earlier in his career, but I didn't realize he was movie like Forbidden Planet.

Undead Scottsman on
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    I did the thing. This took way longer than expected! And I have a ton of repeating directors, but I guess that’s honest.

Also, there’s a couple times I couldn’t pick just one, but like, whatever dude.

1990: Life Is Sweet
    1991: Barton Fink
    1992: Police Story 3: Super Cop
    1993: Sonatine
    1994: Pom Poko
    1995: Maborosi
    1996: Goodbye South, Goodbye
    1997: Boogie Nights
    1998: After Life
    1999: Eyes Wide Shut
    2000: Yi Yi; In The Mood For Love
    2001: Millennium Mambo
    2002: Punch Drunk Love
    2003: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring; Old Boy; Memories of Murder (good year for South Korea!)
    2004: Nobody Knows
    2005: Brokeback Mountain; Three Times
    2006: Syndromes and a Century
    2007: Unrelated; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
    2008: Still Walking
    2009: A Serious Man
    2010: Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
    2011: The Tree of Life
    2012: The Master
    2013: The Tale of Princess Kaguya
    2014: The Grand Budapest Hotel
    2015: Kaili Blues; Mad Max: Fury Road
    2016: Certain Women
    2017: Blade Runner 2049
    2018: Burning
    2019: Peterloo (but I haven’t seen nearly enough to call it yet)

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I think putting together a full list for me is too anxiety inducing, since knowing myself I would be excessively scrolling for some weirdo cult movie I missed, but I think gunpoint 2019 decision would probably be Hagazussa. That is the first film in a long time that I rented and watched immediately again the next week after purchase.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I think I posted this last time around, but whatever.

My favorite movie that came out for every year I was alive (other than 2019).
    1980 - Airplane!
    1981 - The Fox and the Hound
    1982 - E.T.
    1983 - WarGames
    1984 - Ghostbusters
    1985 - Back to the Future
    1986 - Top Gun
    1987 - Spaceballs
    1988 - The Land Before Time
    1989 - Batman
    1990 - Quigley Down Under
    1991 - Hot Shots!
    1992 - El Mariachi
    1993 - Posse
    1994 - Leon: The Professional
    1995 - Friday
    1996 - Independence Day
    1997 - The Devil's Advocate
    1998 - The Faculty
    1999 - The Matrix
    2000 - The Replacements
    2001 - Formula 51
    2002 - Ice Age
    2003 - The Italian Job
    2004 - The Incredibles
    2005 - Mr. and Mrs. Smith
    2006 - DOA: Dead or Alive
    2007 - 300
    2008 - Iron Man
    2009 - Dragonball Evolution
    2010 - How to Train Your Dragon
    2011 - Fast Five
    2012 - 21 Jump Street
    2013 - The Wolf of Wall Street
    2014 - Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    2015 - Mad Max: Fury Road
    2016 - Central Intelligence
    2017 - Wonder Woman
    2018 - Bumblebee

sig.gif
  • Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    "favorite" for me is always easier than "best" because it's all about gut reaction seeing the title/rewatchability

a lot of flicks i may think are better than some in my list, but i may never want to rewatch them/watch them as much

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Is there somewhere reliable to get lists of all films released in a certain year?

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    n5fhxmgvuhx31.jpg
    The coast looking like a face better be part of the plot

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Is there somewhere reliable to get lists of all films released in a certain year?

wikipedia ia pretty good

just look up ____ in film, with the blank being the year you want

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I would like to use Letterboxd for that, but they list release years as the first time it was shown anywhere, so a lotta movies getting put in the year before they came out because they showed at a festival

6F32U1X.png
  • TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I would like to use Letterboxd for that, but they list release years as the first time it was shown anywhere, so a lotta movies getting put in the year before they came out because they showed at a festival

That's the way it should be, though. If the film is completed, and the paying public can see it (no matter where they're from), then that's the year it should be considered from. Because otherwise you get into a whole bunch of weird stuff with films that play one region but not another. Or how about films that play a film festival and never get distribution? There are a lot, and I don't think it's right to say they don't have a year of release, you know?

I get that it's more in the line of considering when you're able to see a film, and I don't begrudge someone considering a film from the year it was released in their region, but websites and film communities are international, and it simply makes more sense to catalogue by year of public premiere.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

I usually use BoxOfficeMojo

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    List of year movies

1985 - Back to the Future, Real Genius, Clue
    1986 - Flight of the Navigator

Ok that's it I'm done, this shit's too hard

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Wikipedia does this too a lot

I'll generally still use it to do a basic set, and then wander over to my DVD shelf and see what feels wrong or what I missed

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Here's my favorites of every year i've been alive. The first couple decades were (mostly) easy since I honestly haven't seen many movies from those years. Like, Platoon is only my choice for 1986 because it is literally the only movie from that year that i've seen. Later years are harder because most have at least three really good movies i've seen in them. Except 2013, weirdly, which was difficult because most of the movies I saw from that year are kinda crap.
    1983- Return of the Jedi
    1984- Ghostbusters
    1985- Clue
    1986- Platoon
    1987- Spaceballs
    1988- Die Hard
    1989- Ghostbusters II
    1990- Back to the Future Part III
    1991- Terminator 2: Judgement Day
    1992- Aladdin
    1993- Jurassic Park
    1994- The Shawshank Redemption
    1995- Die Hard With A Vengeance
    1996- Muppet Treasure Island
    1997- Starship Troopers
    1998- The Truman Show
    1999- The Matrix
    2000- O Brother, Where Art Thou?
    2001- Spirited Away
    2002- The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
    2003- Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
    2004- Shaun of the Dead
    2005- March of the Penguins
    2006- V for Vendetta
    2007- Hot Fuzz
    2008- The Dark Knight
    2009- District 9
    2010- Toy Story 3
    2011- Drive
    2012- Dredd
    2013- Iron Man 3
    2014- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    2015- Mad Max: Fury Road
    2016- Arrival
    2017- Dunkirk
    2018- Thoroughbreds
    2019 so far- Avengers: Endgame

• 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Tenzytile wrote: »

That's the way it should be, though. If the film is completed, and the paying public can see it (no matter where they're from), then that's the year it should be considered from. Because otherwise you get into a whole bunch of weird stuff with films that play one region but not another. Or how about films that play a film festival and never get distribution? There are a lot, and I don't think it's right to say they don't have a year of release, you know?

I get that it's more in the line of considering when you're able to see a film, and I don't begrudge someone considering a film from the year it was released in their region, but websites and film communities are international, and it simply makes more sense to catalogue by year of public premiere.

I definitely agree with this. The only exception I have is for personal annual best of lists. Like, Long Day’s Journey Into Night just was released on VOD and didn’t get any kind of theatrical release in my region, so for me, it’s a favourite from 2019. But talking historically, or in any bigger context than my silly, unimportant list, I go year of initial release.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Just got back from Doctor Sleep

Spoilery thoughts:
    I loved so much

Rebecca Ferguson's entire show-stealing/star-making performance
    Flanagan expertly paying tribute to both King's original book and Kubrick's film in satisfying manners throughout (especially with every part of the final act), while maneuvering through the bad blood to find common ground in both their attempts at telling Danny's story (which gets an emotional end)
    Character-focused scenes - whether between Rebecca's cult and her, Danny and the new girl with the shining, or Danny and his own mind/recollections that he's desperately trying to suppress because he still can't cope with what happened in The Shining - that kept me captivated for a 2.5 hour long film, which...certainly ain't an easy task these days
    A horror film that's undoubtedly a great horror film, and a very unsettling one, despite being so long and mostly lacking blood and jumpscares? It's possible!
    Flanagan using the entire runtime to talk in some way about trauma: about how you can't find the answers at the bottom of a bottle, about how the aftermath of abuse can be just as fatal to bystanders, about how you can't truly escape your past without confronting it (even when that's the hardest thing in the world to do). And it wasn't always evident in only the hero's part of the story; sometimes the villain has her own passages and fears locked away deep and tight. Sometimes the worst you can do is lie to those beside you, saying things will be alright when you know that's questionable

Non-spoilery thoughts:

My gut tells me I'm being overly charitable to this thinking it's one of the best films I've seen all year and deserves to belong on my best-of lists. My heart tells me this is an extraordinary effort on so many levels that the few cons I can come up with are minuscule in comparison

"Is this better than Stephen King's The Shining?" "Is this better than Stanley Kubrick's The Shining?" Both questions asked ad nauseam since production on this project began, let alone since release hype started with the first trailer. For my answer to both: I don't really know, and I don't really care. Because Doctor Sleep does a well enough job standing out and on its own two feet, walking the fine line between both

Two things I do know: 1) I'm done doubting Mike Flanagan. One of the finer modern directors in the genre, I do know I'll be one of the first in a seat for whatever he makes next

While we're at it, 2) the next project Rebecca Ferguson has a role in will immediately have my attention. Oh, it's Dune? Fuck yeah

Sweeney Tom on
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Alright, I didn't think about this too heavily but I feel pretty good about this list

1988: My Neighbor Totoro
    1989: Kiki's Delivery Service
    1990: Total Recall
    1991: Terminator 2
    1992: Hard Boiled
    1993: Patlabor 2
    1994: Drunken Master 2
    1995: Ghost in the Shell
    1996: Fargo
    1997: L.A. Confidential
    1998: Rushmore
    1999: The Iron Giant
    2000: In The Mood For Love
    2001: Spirited Away
    2002: Minority Report
    2003: Memories of Murder
    2004: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    2005: Lady Vengeance
    2006: The Prestige
    2007: Hot Rod
    2008: Still Walking
    2009: Fantastic Mr. Fox
    2010: Inception
    2011: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    2012: Django Unchained
    2013: The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
    2014: Ex Machina
    2015: Mad Max: Fury Road
    2016: The Handmaiden
    2017: Blade Runner 2049
    2018: Burning
    2019: Parasite

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    These lists are doing a good job of making me feel old.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Tenzytile wrote: »

I definitely agree with this. The only exception I have is for personal annual best of lists. Like, Long Day’s Journey Into Night just was released on VOD and didn’t get any kind of theatrical release in my region, so for me, it’s a favourite from 2019. But talking historically, or in any bigger context than my silly, unimportant list, I go year of initial release.

One of the problems with this is that festival showings aren't always final cut, so can be quite different from the finished theatrical release, especially if it showed almost a year before general wide release. I don't apply hard-and-fast rules, but figure it's my list, so long as I'm happy with it, I'm good.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    These lists are doing a good job of making me feel old.

Right? People born when I was in high school

It's not right!

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Me trying to talk to my sister about movies

ta9t2tpawe88.jpg

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »

I thought they had made the magna into a live action as it was rumored but when I looked it up it answered that question
    Still when I see it talked about I fall back to this problem even though I know the answer

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    The Lighthouse is a fucking trip

I'm pretty sure there are scenes that even when I am a grizzled old man will flash into my brain unbidden

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

ta9t2tpawe88.jpg

what

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Just got back from Doctor Sleep

Spoilery thoughts:
    I loved so much

Rebecca Ferguson's entire show-stealing/star-making performance
    Flanagan expertly paying tribute to both King's original book and Kubrick's film in satisfying manners throughout (especially with every part of the final act), while maneuvering through the bad blood to find common ground in both their attempts at telling Danny's story (which gets an emotional end)
    Character-focused scenes - whether between Rebecca's cult and her, Danny and the new girl with the shining, or Danny and his own mind/recollections that he's desperately trying to suppress because he still can't cope with what happened in The Shining - that kept me captivated for a 2.5 hour long film, which...certainly ain't an easy task these days
    A horror film that's undoubtedly a great horror film, and a very unsettling one, despite being so long and mostly lacking blood and jumpscares? It's possible!
    Flanagan using the entire runtime to talk in some way about trauma: about how you can't find the answers at the bottom of a bottle, about how the aftermath of abuse can be just as fatal to bystanders, about how you can't truly escape your past without confronting it (even when that's the hardest thing in the world to do). And it wasn't always evident in only the hero's part of the story; sometimes the villain has her own passages and fears locked away deep and tight. Sometimes the worst you can do is lie to those beside you, saying things will be alright when you know that's questionable

Non-spoilery thoughts:

My gut tells me I'm being overly charitable to this thinking it's one of the best films I've seen all year and deserves to belong on my best-of lists. My heart tells me this is an extraordinary effort on so many levels that the few cons I can come up with are minuscule in comparison

"Is this better than Stephen King's The Shining?" "Is this better than Stanley Kubrick's The Shining?" Both questions asked ad nauseam since production on this project began, let alone since release hype started with the first trailer. For my answer to both: I don't really know, and I don't really care. Because Doctor Sleep does a well enough job standing out and on its own two feet, walking the fine line between both

Two things I do know: 1) I'm done doubting Mike Flanagan. One of the finer modern directors in the genre, I do know I'll be one of the first in a seat for whatever he makes next

While we're at it, 2) the next project Rebecca Ferguson has a role in will immediately have my attention. Oh, it's Dune? Fuck yeah

Give mike Flanagan the dark tower series

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

ta9t2tpawe88.jpg

She's fucking with you. Right?

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    hey we're past this but I did the movies list thing
    1993: Groundhog Day
    1994: Shawshank Redemption
    1995: Toy Story
    1996: Fargo
    1997: Titanic
    1998: Rushmore
    1999: The Insider
    2000: Memento
    2001: Wet Hot American Summer
    2002: Punch-Drunk Love
    2003: Memories of Murder
    2004: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    2005: The 40 Year-Old Virgin (this one, admittedly, woof, does not hold up)
    2006: The Prestige
    2007: Michael Clayton
    2008: Speed Racer
    2009: A Serious Man
    2010: The Social Network
    2011: Moneyball
    2012: Cloud Atlas
    2013: The Wind Rises
    2014: Whiplash
    2015: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
    2016: Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping
    2017: Lady Bird
    2018: Sorry to Bother You
    2019: Parasite

6F32U1X.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I had part of it written up but It comes down to at times I did not see a lot of movies and some years there were several l liked and could not pick a overall winner

This discussion has been closed.