As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Make Anything. Make Everything. Make your [Dreams] come true (on 14th Feb, 2020.)

Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her|Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
edited February 2020 in Games and Technology
r7u5j8c49qle.png

j8csr0bi2adl.gif

Q: What is Dreams? A: It's every game. It's the omni-game. A tool for making art, music, and whole games.
Dreams is a sandbox video game developed by Media Molecule and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment for the PlayStation 4, scheduled for release in 2019, with the public beta released in 2018. The game puts focuses on 'play, create and share', and allows players to create user-generated content. In April 2019, Media Molecule launched Dreams Creator Early Access.

In Dreams, players control an "imp", which is used to interact with the game's world (like a mouse cursor), create new items and characters, and manipulate objects by grabbing and pulling them. Players move the imp by using the DualShock 4 or PlayStation Move controllers. The imp is customizable, and players can change the emotion of the imp by drawing on the controller's touchpad.[5] The imp has the ability to possess characters featured in a dream, allowing players to take direct control of these characters.

Dreams's levels are separated by different segments known as "dreams", and these dreams are connected by different gateways such as doors. Players encounter different puzzles in the game, which must be solved by using the abilities of the imp and the possessed characters, as well as the objects players retrieved in a dream. Items collected by players can be used to alter and modify the state of the game's world.

Players can create their own levels in the game by using custom and pre-built objects. Players can then share their completed dreams online. Cooperative multiplayer is also featured in the game, allowing players to create and manipulate their custom dreams together.

c5u79qnwb487.jpg

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbIjUA4-M2U

Some example creations:

And plenty more besides! Some of my screenshots from the early access version are here.
1l96xdle1g2l.jpg

408les63fj9u.jpg

sqeptjn0md34.jpg

pmradqw1q7f5.jpg

i0jkg0l8u1z8.jpg

us4534wr5knw.jpg

2dlv5bpx8rti.jpg

b0ovp1dbb3gg.jpg

vbtecvnxibok.jpg

Full Release trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8qWEDsuaIA

Post a link to your profile on indreams.me so I can look at your cool creations, PA! :)

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
Zilla360 on

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    No interest in this game? :(Vinny from Giantbomb did a walk-through of some of the tutorials and was very impressed.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I'm not nearly as creative as I'd like to be so these kinda games are great after 2 or so years of smarter people making cool stuff.

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I’ve played through the tutorials but just haven’t had the time to invest in it.

I think it’s spectacular and some great stuff out there. The mechanics are clever but I find sculpting a bit tricky.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The problem with these "make whatever you want!" type of games always seems to be that there is a tiny handful of people with the time and talent that can actually make neat stuff, and the rest of are stuck with what amounts to a tool for making abortive non-content or assloads of very derivative (or straight-up copied) content.

Personally speaking, why am I going to buy what amounts to a tool for making games when I can just buy games instead and I don't have to invest a ton of time and energy in also making those games?

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I mean, you probably shouldn't, the same way most people would never need to buy Photoshop.

Can't blame them for trying to market it to as many people as possible though, right? And sometimes a creator doesn't know they are a creator unless someone puts the right tools or right "paintbrush" in front of them.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I had an absolute blast surfing through some of the top curated stuff in the beta, so... I know I will be picking this up eventually and should probably just do it now to save $. It's truly an amazing product/suite of tools. It's true that you probably need to allow a little time for the most impressive stuff to be released, but (a) there's already quite a lot of impressive shit out there, and (b) part of the fun is seeing how the landscape evolves.

In the beta, I loved how you could walk through a timeline/bulletin board of versions and newly developed assets and creator/player feedback. Every project tells a story.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Someone made Tetris at last. :)
    Also check out 'Haus of Bevis' for a truly... unique experience. :D

edited May 2019
    One for Doctor Who fans. This is seriously impressive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYgrtHBjA_Y

Zilla360 on
    I would never have thought to do this, I didn't even know that you could use a microphone as an input in Dreams:

I made a playlist that really demonstrates the incredible variety that you can find in the Dreamiverse.

Every time I boot Dreams up now the quality of the top community picks just keeps going up and up. It's amazing to think that Dreams could compete with something like itch.io when it leaves early access. :D

Also check out this Sonic level:

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    The only reason I haven't purchased Dreams yet is because I'm afraid that I'll never play anything else once I do.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    So I wasn't too interested in this at first, but apparently it works with PSVR? Which definitely makes me interested in giving this a shot, since I've seen some great stuff done with the shaping and molding of models with VR controls. I also paint, and I feel like this could be an interesting tool for quickly and easily setting up maquettes for working out lighting and scale for a scene.

Further, I'm curious as to just how much effort it takes to get the actual "game" part of a game to work using Dreams. At the end of the day, something like Sekiro can be visually rendered on extremely simple models and retain the exact same gameplay. While making an actual game probably wants an actual game engine of some type, like Unity or Unreal, I wonder if Dreams couldn't make decent proof versions of gameplay concepts without needing a big team of devs or an assload of man-hours of work.

apparently it works with PSVR?
    Not yet, but it will do in an update promised for sometime this year. You can use the Move controllers to paint, sculpt and animate though.

This is a great time-line video showing the evolution of a very well made 'Rampage*' style game. Roughly four months of effort:

*(Rampage - Furry edition... That burp... :lol: )

There is soooo much great stuff on the Dreamiverse now. Every type of game you could imagine. Media Molecule have added a 'staff picks' section with one of the recent patches and it's great if you want to some top quality creations. :)

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    This game fascinates me, but I don't find I have time for Mario Maker 2, never-mind this behemoth! I'm tempted to buy it just because I want it to succeed.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    This game fascinates me, but I don't find I have time for Mario Maker 2, never-mind this behemoth! I'm tempted to buy it just because I want it to succeed.
    You should get it even if you never plan on making anything with it. Only £25 right now. The amount of creativity and ingenuity on display is mind blowing:

Dreams was a mistake. Maybe this song was meant for a horror game instead? :P

Mr_Grinch wrote: »

My primary reason for getting it was being able to easily construct maquettes for painting, complete with lighting elements. You really can put together some pretty good stuff in a hurry once you've got your head wrapped around the Move controllers, and I imagine it will get even faster and easier when the PSVR stuff works.

But once I learned Dreams well enough for that, I also found it great for learning a ton of stuff that has to do with constructing animations and putting together functions out of the logic components. Yeah, the gadget options simplify a lot of what would otherwise be coding (though a lot of that coding would be stuff that people would pull premade libraries for), but the visual aspect really helps put this stuff together. Something like putting together a rifle is a whole pile of pieces for tracking ammunition, lighting and visuals that sync with firing, and hit detection (both for putting damage on a target and getting impact effects).

Though it can be a liiiittle frustrating when you're doing something like using a laser for surface detection and everything you know about the pieces says you should be able to spawn smoke spatters at an impact point, except the effects just keep spawning by the gun. Turns out that some gadgets with location elements work VERY differently when inside a chip instead of outside a chip. Took me like three hours to figure out to put the detection gadget on the end of the gun to work right, instead of packing it away in a chip.

It's enough that I'm actually going to take a shot at putting together a fully-functional game. I'm not quite convinced yet that Dreams will let you put together a game that doesn't very clearly show as being a Dreams product, complete with rough edges, but there's still enough here to work for prototyping visuals and gameplay ideas.

...(though a lot of that coding would be stuff that people would pull premade libraries for)...
    Yeah, there's logic libraries/collections/chips for 'achievements' (PSN trophies will be likely tied to overall imp progression in the full release), camera movement, locking on to enemies... I could go on....
    If you can imagine it, another player has probably already made it, for you to stamp in to a scene and tinker with.

Had to showcase this... This is so polished already, and still being worked on (more tracks etc).

Super Ommy Kart (Trailer and then some gameplay in the spoiler):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAt4IOppGow
    Dreams is now THE best £25 I've ever spent on PSN. Like, fucking hands down, every time I boot it up I'm blown away. I could showcase 10 things every day, and still not scratch the surface...
    Not enough time in the day. :D

Also speaking of Mario Maker 2, though not in Dreams (yet), someone did create a version of it in LBP3, about a month ago.
    Bonkers. :rotate:

Happy Farm went a little bit Eldritch:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxX8807ljqM

Dreams voted 'Best of Gamescom', 'Best PS4 game', and 'Most Original Game':
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sonys-dreams-wins-best-gamescom-award-1234301

Goldeneye 64's first level, in Dreams:
    'Mimeo Prophecy', an isometric perspective action-RPG with nods to Persona and Pokemon.
    You can pet the dog. :)

'Ruckus' is a cute and very well presented Kaiju game with a strong message on climate change:
    And Media Molecule will be at PAX this weekend:

I will be at this event/talk this coming Sunday, if any UK PAF's wish to join me you would be more than welcome, on a dreary autumnal afternoon. :)
    Perhaps @Mr_Grinch ? :)

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I'd be up for that, I'll just need to see how the weekend is shaping up first (Not at all helped by a vomiting daughter last night).

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    Great stuff, I hope you can make it/she feels better soon. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MH912hWGMk
    ^ A pretty well made 'Wipeout' clone. Only one track and ship so far though. :)

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2019/12/05/dreams-early-access-nears-its-end-media-molecule-announces-the-impy-awards/
    Early Access
    Now you may ask — does this mean Early Access is nearing an end? Yes, yes it does — the last day you can purchase Early Access will be 8th December, 11.59pm GMT / 9th December 00.59am CET.
    Anyone who has purchased Early Access by this date will still be able to play Dreams after the 8th and will upgrade to the full version of Dreams when it launches for no extra cost.

At the studio, we’ve been collecting all the feedback, fixing the bugs and working to make the full version of Dreams the best experience for everyone — those who want to play, those who want to create and those who aspire to learn.

Some of that work includes adding a non-motion control scheme for the game, helping new players learn to create, more tutorials and how-to content for players of all skill levels, improving existing features like Community Jams, the Homespace and Imp Quests and adding more content, including our first piece of Mm story-telling in Dreams, Art’s Dream. We hope you’re going to love all of it and our Early Access players deserve a huge mega-thanks for joining us on this journey.

There is still a tiny bit of time to join the fun in Early Access before it closes but if you prefer to wait for launch we’ll be just as excited to welcome you into the Dreamiverse then. Thanks again to everyone who has supported us along the way — we can’t wait to see what you’ll dream up next and hope you’ll join us to watch the first annual IMPY Awards.

https://www.altchar.com/game-news/interview-with-tom-dent-ac1MW8F0CX01
    Shaping this project with input from your community is so intrinsic to what Dreams is as a platform. Has there been an aspect of their creativity that really surprised you?

I think the speed at which people took to the tools surprised the entire team. We knew they worked well, but within hours people were making amazing things, and they're still surprising us. One of the things I look back on is my own personal perception of LBP; a platformer, 2.5D, but people were finding ways to make first person shooters with it. I couldn't help but imagine that within a few days, people would produce some crazy things with Dreams and blowing our minds on a daily basis.

We have a TV in the middle of the office where we just have the game running. Folks can just go up at lunchtime, or when they need to get away from their desks, and explore Dreams. One of the most amazing things about Mm is people just love to play Dreams. The amount of times you hear someone yell "Huh?!" because they can't believe what people have made. Someone designed a living clock screen saver a few months ago, and we had it on for the whole day. People would get excited when it was heading for a big number change. It would get to 12.59pm, realising it's about to change to 13.00pm. Everyone gathered round, and literally applauded when it worked.

The other week we found someone had designed a gateway that when you walked through you were in a different world, but there were no loading screens. Our technical director, Alex Evans, sat square on to the TV saying "How are they doing that?!". There are things that people are doing already, six months in, that we didn't expect.

This is a great trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8qWEDsuaIA

Release version/retail disc version coming on 14th February, 2020! I'm not sure if it will have PSVR support or not. :)

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/12/10/dreams-will-steal-your-heart-on-february-14-2020/
    We have also been working on a whole host of new things to inspire players at launch, including a totally new introduction to the game, a new season of tutorials, tool improvements, new game content and a feature-length game, titled Art’s Dream. Art’s Dream was made by us to show the endless possibilities in Dreams; it crosses genres, features some amazing characters, and shows our love of music in a big way.

We’ve also got some really cool stuff planned for post-launch too… but let’s save that for the next blog post! If you don’t already have Dreams Early Access, you can pre-order now from PlayStation Store and you’ll be able to get in and play Dreams on February 14 for $39.99. As a thank you to all of our Early Access players will get upgraded to the full version of Dreams via a downloadable update at no additional cost at the same time. Update requires Internet connection and a PlayStation Network account.

So, if you’ve ever dreamed of making something, but don’t know where to start, could spend hours getting lost in new worlds and new experiences, or you just want to connect with creative people around the world – we hope we’ll see you in Dreams in February.