As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Except that gravel gravel is way too big to be gravel on a 28mm scale miniature base
    I don't have any immediate reccomendations, but Evergreen and other model rr scenic suppliers should have fine ground slate, or extra coarse sand, which would be gravely at that scale.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Except that gravel gravel is way too big to be gravel on a 28mm scale miniature base
    I don't have any immediate reccomendations, but Evergreen and other model rr scenic suppliers should have fine ground slate, or extra coarse sand, which would be gravely at that scale.

Cough I used what aggregate the ants dug up {I am very curious how deep is their hive to get it}
    4qvfqjivsmps.png
    I have other examples of it but I am in a hurry and I only used it on them to counter balance the figure as they tip over if they don't have that weight
    The funny thing is when I built them they were perfectly balanced the primer coat was that much of a difference

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I haven't posted much in here lately, but that's not because I haven't been painting, I just got a new phone so I normally end up posting things straight to social media and forgetting to repost them here! Here's what I've been up to:

Contorted Epitome for Slaanesh! Kind of a must-take unit in AoS right now, and an interesting piece to paint even if I did kinda rush it out.
    fmbic7o509dx.jpg
    r53kyhrv2vsp.jpg
    tmsmoq7nuhz4.jpg
    8j8at7cmh6vc.jpg

Endless spells for Slaanesh, I like the idea of endless spells, but I prefer the army specific ones to the generic ones visually, and Hedonites is the only army I own with their own spells, quite fun to paint purely magical effects.
    yiacharnq3k2.jpg
    ak9sio8lzxg1.jpg
    qjjyghg5rjir.jpg
    xfuxevj7nhhi.jpg

And lastly on the Slaanesh front I refuse to buy the current Hellstrider models cos I think they look pretty terrible, but they are a pretty decent battleline option, so I made my own, and as a bonus I could also run these as Centigors in a Slaanesh themed Beasts of Chaos army. Pretty easy conversion really, much less hassle than I expected.
    nlx6z9in1lpd.jpg

However for right now I've stuck my Slaanesh on the shelf until the December rules update tones them down a bit (in theory) my local scene isn't so hugely competitive that you need the latest cheese to play, and all the Slaanesh stuff I own makes for a pretty hard list. Fortunately that gives me the opportunity to drag one of my old armies off the shelf just in time for their new update, only one new model but I'm looking forwards to smashing around with my big ogor boys and girls again:
    ef4zqq2h7tqg.jpg
    02ah1iskcja8.jpg
    dftbz6cpiko3.jpg

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Yes, I was making a joke.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Hmm now they show how they do rust with the GW paints I am curious
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z25cPdFX7X8

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I picked up some 3d printer shoulder pad icons for my death guard off of shapeways... I don't need to scrub or wash this type of resin do I?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    I picked up some 3d printer shoulder pad icons for my death guard off of shapeways... I don't need to scrub or wash this type of resin do I?

You're supposed to give them a scrub to clean off any residue that would prevent paint from sticking properly.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Stragint wrote: »

You're supposed to give them a scrub to clean off any residue that would prevent paint from sticking properly.

Residue of what? There's no mould release or anything like that, and the outside should be the most cured?

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Tastyfish wrote: »

Residue of what? There's no mould release or anything like that, and the outside should be the most cured?

No idea what they use but there is even an article on shapeways about prepping the models for building and painting.

https://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/22021-tips-n-tricks-for-painting-miniatures.html

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Huh, I'm glad I asked.

Time to find some acetone and my jewellery cleaner thing

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Question: which half of this pad looks best for alpha legion duders:
    yooro8i10a0k.jpeg

Agree for left, awesome for right.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    How did you do it?
    As I said earlier I painted my Akhelian lord's armor with grey knight steel with a old green glaze I may go back over the raised parts of it with a gold to make it look fancy

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    How did you do it?
    The cheatin’ cheat’s way: GSW Colorshift Metal “Storm Surge Green” with one or two layers of Citadel Contast “Aethermatic Blue” - one coat on the left, two on the right.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Merrily, I did a bit of work on little ship today. Part of that was trying to fill out some of the front deck so I could add some more railing, but I thought it would be a good time to make sure that the guns I got fit into the pits for them. So I spent about 70 minutes putting together one of the twin bofors guns and 100% hit a point where I think I'm insane. If I stand up from the table, I can't really tell what it is I've built, so in a way this feels like some stupid form of masturbation just proving you can do a thing basically nobody will ever see. <_<
    ... But the good news is it fits fine, so I only need to build like 11 more of them or something?

Took some photos because I kinda had to, but had trouble getting my phone to focus, because of course.
    5jommml8aw83.jpg
    And reference dime makes a return!
    n02w9ngihyhy.jpg

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Anyone recommend some Contrast tutorials?
    I'm messing around with them for the first time and I feel like i'm kinda starting over in terms of skill level because they are so different to how i use "normal" paint

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Question: which half of this pad looks best for alpha legion duders:
    yooro8i10a0k.jpeg

Agree for left, awesome for right.

I think against blue armor, the left side is going to look better.

• Options
    Dayspring wrote: »
    I'm messing around with them for the first time and I feel like i'm kinda starting over in terms of skill level because they are so different to how i use "normal" paint

I'd definitely recommend checking out all the tutorials Warhammer TV has done so far. They have a lot of classic and contrast method videos with the same models.

This one was interesting because the contrast doesn't end up having the splotchiness that I keep seeing on Primaris Space Marines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25NzJDd4D_4&amp;t=

This one is good for seeing how someone who does commission painting handles them. He paints two models, one using his normal method and the other using contrast to see which is faster and how the end up looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVk-32TQcfI

And this one has the person doing batch painting with contrast and his thoughts on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E643mw0CFH4&amp;t=

• Options
    Dayspring wrote: »

Depends as I kind of found just playing around with them I quickly found out what they did but then again I was not paying attention to the Warhammer tv stuff on them that much

as I found them great for certain looks like doing the green stuff on certain necrons' staves {the staff of light and the Lychguard's warscythes } Or doing cloth

• Options
    I'm having some trouble. I tried to paint a glow for the eyes of my armigers and I added yellow but I either didn't use enough medium (I used Vallejo air flow improver, usually works well) or the yellow is just too bright for the effect.

I was thinking of hitting it with the red glaze to try and blend it together.
    douaumc2h8az.jpg
    fciqsvc4p1p2.jpg

• Options
    Red glaze seems like a good idea, although even with as much as I can shrink the picture, it's still way too big to get a real good idea how it's actually going to look.

• Options
    Red glaze seems like a good idea, although even with as much as I can shrink the picture, it's still way too big to get a real good idea how it's actually going to look.

This might help.

3222l5tb3uou.jpeg

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I'd call him Spruce Lee if he wasn't a broadleaf tree.
    9g5fhpp8klcx.jpg
    Probably going to paint him as a autumnal birch so he ties in to the team but still stands out.

Still thinking about how to make him look a bit more blood bowl, though.

Also maybe he needs a 40mm base

honovere on
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular

This might help.

3222l5tb3uou.jpeg

I think the issue is you're trying to do a glowing red over gold. So there isn't enough contrast going on.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I am unsure about what scheme I want to use for my Ossiarchs now. Thinking maybe something with green, with copper as a metallic color.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    How did you do it?
    The cheatin’ cheat’s way: GSW Colorshift Metal “Storm Surge Green” with one or two layers of Citadel Contast “Aethermatic Blue” - one coat on the left, two on the right.

I've been seeking a scheme for my ogre's armor and I wanted it to be silver based. could you post more of this if you get any work in please? I happen to have that colorshift tint and everything and that looks really nice. I can't figure out how to do anything interesting with the paint scheme otherwise and I want to do something besides basic flesh and silver armor.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I put the glaze on the heads. I think it kind of helps
    kuwjz85ulkr6.jpg
    f34idhh3xekn.jpg

I also started on the bases. I forgot to prime the cork before gluing it to the base. I'm pretty sure I can just pull the cork off and prime it separately since I don't want to paint the part between the cork again. I might also just say screw it and repaint it and be lazy.

I added pva glue and then sand to the cork and then some more pva glue and small bits of cork to act as gravel/rocks. Gonna finish with a permafrost look and the middle watery part is gonna a have the clear crackle paint to look like it is frozen over.
    qu6zojcv232q.jpeg

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Just gotta fit the heads, fit these two armigers on their base, put a wash on the white, and cover the whole thing in crackle paint for a permafrost look and paint their carapace guns and they are done for the time being.

gE758ey.jpg

Stragint on

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    From the photographed angle, the lighting looks like the cheeks are the source, rather than the eyes. There seems to be a transition where it goes darker next to the rim, then suddenly very bright again.

I see the white in the older pictures is the actual source. But there is still this odd disconnect around the lip that causes the effect to fail for me. Personally, I'd make the effect much more subtle.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So I painted up a couple of test minis from my Ossiarchs basically to completion, obviously I might tweak some things or swap out some colors, but overall I'd like some opinions on which of the two people generally like better. I'm not sure which I like more overall.

eTErWdll.jpg
    3Tqi8qBl.jpg
    Ky6auAal.png
    9d1T9hxl.png

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    J wrote: »
    From the photographed angle, the lighting looks like the cheeks are the source, rather than the eyes. There seems to be a transition where it goes darker next to the rim, then suddenly very bright again.

I see the white in the older pictures is the actual source. But there is still this odd disconnect around the lip that causes the effect to fail for me. Personally, I'd make the effect much more subtle.

What would you suggest to fix it in it's current state? I was probably just gonna do another glaze or two of the red GW glaze to see if I can tone it down enough.
    So I painted up a couple of test minis from my Ossiarchs basically to completion, obviously I might tweak some things or swap out some colors, but overall I'd like some opinions on which of the two people generally like better. I'm not sure which I like more overall.
    eTErWdll.jpg
    3Tqi8qBl.jpg
    Ky6auAal.png
    9d1T9hxl.png

The red one looks really cool.

Stragint on

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I would simply ditch red on the cheeks altogether. At the moment the painted on lighting works against the sculpt of the head. You have a nice deep red in the recess around the eye already. I would go with a simple subtle edge highlight on the inside ridge.

J on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular

eTErWdll.jpg

The red one has a way nicer pop to it as these two schemes are now, imo.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I agree. The only thing the red scheme could maybe use is some more highlights to the face to make it a bit more a focal point, I think. Or some uruk-hai style face paint?

• Options
    J wrote: »
    I would simply ditch red on the cheeks altogether. At the moment the painted on lighting works against the sculpt of the head. You have a nice deep red in the recess around the eye already. I would go with a simple subtle edge highlight on the inside ridge.

Alright, I can definitely do that. I'll do it tonight when I get home. Thank you for the help and advice!

Also, these bases look so good, covered it in crackle paint before this. Part of me didn't want to because I like how it looks already.

06f5beysb5fu.jpeg

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Those bases look great

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »
    I agree. The only thing the red scheme could maybe use is some more highlights to the face to make it a bit more a focal point, I think. Or some uruk-hai style face paint?

I do have a bit of a glowy eye highlight effect going on I could emphasize a bit more

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    eTErWdll.jpg
    3Tqi8qBl.jpg
    Ky6auAal.png
    9d1T9hxl.png

Do you have a bone one with teal armor plates?
    I like the look of the bone warrior more than the red one, but the white armor bits don't provide enough contrast to really set it off IMO, so it all kind of blends together even on an individual mini. I'd guess that a table full of that color scheme is just gonna be a mushy blur from 3 feet away.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    eTErWdll.jpg
    3Tqi8qBl.jpg
    Ky6auAal.png
    9d1T9hxl.png

Do you have a bone one with teal armor plates?
    I like the look of the bone warrior more than the red one, but the white armor bits don't provide enough contrast to really set it off IMO, so it all kind of blends together even on an individual mini. I'd guess that a table full of that color scheme is just gonna be a mushy blur from 3 feet away.

I do not, but it's a test mini so I could do that. I was thinking of seeing if the bone one looked better with the green-blue plates.

• Options
    These might be the best bases I've ever done.
    hgtesytht7k4.jpeg
    c5f77i5u9n33.jpeg

• Options
    They sure do look good all right.