As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's a good [job] thread, Elmo

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    The key to questions is understanding if the set of possible answers contains any of the following: "because we're idiots", "we should have that, but embarrassingly we don't"
    If so, tread with caution. Or don't, because red flags don't wave themselves.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    question: probably bad form in an interview situation to tell the interviewer "Hey, I read your latest paper and noticed you plagiarised the introduction", right?

asking for a friend

Maybe he set it up as test? The first one to read his paper critically gets tenure?

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The only real question I want the answer to in job interviews is "is it ok if I never get to the office before 10am", but I feel like this gives the wrong impression.

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    FRIIIIIDAAAAAAAX GO

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Came home and went straight to bed and it felt so good. Car honking outside window at 1300 was annoying, though

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    "Every Breath You Take" by the Police.

Could be worse I guess.

Eyyyyy fellow creepy-song bros. Considering I was such a quiet baby that my folks thought I had died several times via crib-death, that sounds morbidly apt. Then again, my mom jokingly says she "forgives me" for how much stress put her through during childbirth so I guess it's a wash.
    26 hour labor because the ultrasound was detecting a 2nd heartbeat so they thought my mom was having twins, only to realize after she tried to give birth naturally I was one giant baby which resulted in an emergency C-Section.

13lbs 8oz

Yeah, she's still a lil' pissed about that.

My mom had a similarly long labor with me. My second middle name is that of my grandfather, on whose birthday I was supposed to be born but I decided to be a slowpoke. At one point the nurse who was on shift when my mom was admitted came back on shift. She got into the room and said "Oh my god Mrs Stedeth, you're still here!?"

Haha yeah, my mom still loves to tell a couple of stories about my birth in addition to my birth weight.

First was when she was into about hour 20 of labor and she was beyond exhausted and was wailing to the nurse, a large muscular black lady who had obviously seen some shit and knew how to deal with patients. She leans over to my mom's bedside and in that matter of fact, I know what I'm doing but I'm trying to comfort you somehow voice, replies "Honey...at this point there is only push...ain't nothin' else to do."

2nd after my mom was in recovery for a couple of post-delivery days, they moved me to the nursery and apparently I was bigger than the practice dolls they had for new parents to learn how to put a diaper on the baby so they got permission to use me as a demo. One of the nurses who showed me off to my dad as he looked through the glass lifted me out of my crib, looked down in surprise, then to my dad and mouthed "Damn big baby!" to my dad.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Today I saw a man with the superman logo tat on his chest, only instead of the superman S it was a Nazi SS.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Today I saw a man with the superman logo tat on his chest, only instead of the superman S it was a Nazi SS.

Big oof.

Was it in the Chevron or just the S's?

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    D'ya think he's even heard of Siegel and Shuster? :(

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    The only real question I want the answer to in job interviews is "is it ok if I never get to the office before 10am", but I feel like this gives the wrong impression.

I've gotten pretty lucky with this so far, but I feel like I wouldn't be able to get away with it outside of West Coast tech jobs. My "9-5" is more "10:30-7".

Was it in the Chevron or just the S's?

In the chevron

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hmmm I think he missed the point of Superman

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    der Ubermensch!

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Was it regular colours?

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I got up at 3am today so I could get to work early enough to finish up and be out before the MLS cup kickoff at noon. Made it home in time, even with going for a run after work first.

Got home, pulled the match up, did up some hotdogs, chips and jalapeno poppers with myself wrapped up in Sounders kit and YEAH BOY SOUNDERS WIN THE MLS CUP!

And it all started with a hilarious own goal. (skip to 6:25)
    https://youtu.be/ldu3wB25J0w

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Hmmm I think he missed the point of Superman

On his planet it means "Punch me in the face"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    BTW, we got to win the cup in a home game with the largest turnout ever at the same stadium that hosts a major NFL team. Parade is on Tuesday, I'm already trying to figure out how I can duck out of work for that one but I don't think I'll be able to afford to.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So last week one of the network engineers in the company passed away suddenly. He's been with my mother company for 15 years.

They just had a little wake for him in the office and I didn't think I'd be crying this much.

Dirt bag of the week award goes to the lady who pushed past a 9 year old with a broken arm to proclaim she was the sickest person there and she needed to be seen right away. Spoiler: she was not the sickest person there by a long shot.

In case anyone is concerned, Tacoma Washington still smells

https://youtu.be/DJnAxPXi5mI

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    I got up at 3am today so I could get to work early enough to finish up and be out before the MLS cup kickoff at noon. Made it home in time, even with going for a run after work first.

Got home, pulled the match up, did up some hotdogs, chips and jalapeno poppers with myself wrapped up in Sounders kit and YEAH BOY SOUNDERS WIN THE MLS CUP!

And it all started with a hilarious own goal. (skip to 6:25)
    https://youtu.be/ldu3wB25J0w

MLS has that weird league followed by playoffs doesn't it. I guess so the East and West Coast teams get to play each other?

Wonder why they don't just have a 24 team national league.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Crippling travel costs and also the team that's crossed 3 timezones will be at a pretty big disadvantage. So I guess you'd want to minimise that?

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    First snowfall of the year so of course everyone forgot how to drive. There was one car fully backwards, just sitting in the middle lane of the interstate, a saw another car spin out on the interstate, one down a deep ditch, and police responding to accidents at each exit along. The radio, when it got to the traffic report was a straight minute of reporting car accidents.

I had no issues because I don't drive like an idiot.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

First snowfall of the year so of course everyone forgot how to drive. There was one car fully backwards, just sitting in the middle lane of the interstate, a saw another car spin out on the interstate, one down a deep ditch, and police responding to accidents at each exit along. The radio, when it got to the traffic report was a straight minute of reporting car accidents.

Our traffic has been like this but instead of snow, it's just getting dark really early now and people can't manage.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

I found Fife to smell worse than Tacoma.

Sorry Zonugal. Fife stinks!

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Yeah, just as long as the car in front of you doesn't drive like an idiot either

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »

Our traffic has been like this but instead of snow, it's just getting dark really early now and people can't manage.

I stayed at work until 6 the other night and was surprised to be reminded how blind I am after dark. I'm fine walking around, but oncoming headlights fuck me right up.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    V1m wrote: »
    Crippling travel costs and also the team that's crossed 3 timezones will be at a pretty big disadvantage. So I guess you'd want to minimise that?

Well both teams would have to travel each way, home and away games. Plus I guess they have to travel quite extensively already anyway.

Travel costs I'll grant you.

Is there an Americas Champions League equivalent?

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Major League Soccer makes me feel like I am living in an alternate reality or something

I have never found another person in the world who even knows it exists

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Dirt bag of the week award goes to the lady who pushed past a 9 year old with a broken arm to proclaim she was the sickest person there and she needed to be seen right away. Spoiler: she was not the sickest person there by a long shot.

She must have been pretty bad to be worse than SS guy.

steam_sig.png
    Ss guy merely had a tat.

She took action

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I found Fife to smell worse than Tacoma.

Sorry Zonugal. Fife stinks!

I didn't think so... I also didn't think Tacoma stunk. True, I did not spend a whole lot of time in Tacoma, but I suspect my bad sense of smell had more to do with me not noticing then the absence of any aroma.

Major League Soccer makes me feel like I am living in an alternate reality or something

I have never found another person in the world who even knows it exists

I bet it'll be the second most popular sport in the US in twenty years if it keeps on going at this rate

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I mentioned at work that we should probably have an SQL database instead of just using a google sheet to track important metrics.

So... now I am tasked to research and set up an SQL database.

...halp?

PSA: if you're using a counter variable in your code, make sure it is appropriately sized for the task you are doing and does not go negative when run for date ranges of 14 days.

Looking at you contractor from 5 years ago.

steam_sig.png
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I have been muttering the lyrics to Amish Paradise under my breath all morning.

A teacher noticed and commented on the juxtaposition of an IT guy being up to his elbows in something electronic while muttering "...but that's okay for an Amish like me..." which made me realize it had been stuck in my head all day without consciously realizing it.

I have no particular reason for this.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
    expendable wrote: »

A teacher noticed and commented on the juxtaposition of an IT guy being up to his elbows in something electronic while muttering "...but that's okay for an Amish like me..." which made me realize it had been stuck in my head all day without consciously realizing it.

I grew up a Mennonite in Dallas. A lot of people conflate us with Amish so they assumed we didn't have electricity. They'd then be surprised to hear my church had like 3 electrical engineers designing chips at TI.

Growing up in Texas I legitimately had people online assume I rode a horse to school.

steam_sig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »

I grew up a Mennonite in Dallas. A lot of people conflate us with Amish so they assumed we didn't have electricity. They'd then be surprised to hear my church had like 3 electrical engineers designing chips at TI.

Growing up in Texas I legitimately had people online assume I rode a horse to school.

It can vary from community to community but I know some Amish folks in Iowa were fine with riding as passengers in a car, it was just operating the vehicle that was verboten. Not like they took a taxi everywhere or anything though, more like special monthly trips into the city for toilet paper and such.

This discussion has been closed.