As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Daily Show], [Last Week Tonight], & [Comedy News In General]

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    3. And I didn’t know pharmacist could put cocaine in topical creams. Yes. They gave me cocaine ointment for concussion induced headaches.

It's a niche thing, but legal, and I've received such treatment myself.

I have adverse reactions to lidocaine (i.e. hives and intense swelling) but not cocaine, so a couple of times when I've needed a topical anesthetic for an outpatient procedure they used a coca based cream or paste and it numbed like a mofo.

Last I heard, Coca-cola still uses Coca leaf extract for flavoring, though obviously without the active ingredient for cocaine.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    3. And I didn’t know pharmacist could put cocaine in topical creams. Yes. They gave me cocaine ointment for concussion induced headaches.

I have adverse reactions to lidocaine (i.e. hives and intense swelling) but not cocaine, so a couple of times when I've needed a topical anesthetic for an outpatient procedure they used a coca based cream or paste and it numbed like a mofo.

How does one develop an aversion to Lidocaine, I'm , uhh, asking for a friend...

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

How does one develop an aversion to Lidocaine, I'm , uhh, asking for a friend...

Response to medications is super variable between people.

On one end of the spectrum you have antibiotics which are nice and consistent. On the other you have psych meds.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I don't have an aversion, but I do have a resistance.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Genetics, in all it's wonderful and unpredictably variable glory. I wouldn't recommend it.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

On one end of the spectrum you have antibiotics which are nice and consistent. On the other you have psych meds.

Antibiotics are very prone to causing allergic reactions in the susceptible. I'm not allergic to anything except an antibiotic.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Antibiotics are very prone to causing allergic reactions in the susceptible. I'm not allergic to anything except an antibiotic.
    That's still the consistent end of the spectrum for medication though I think.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Any medication that requires a prescription is not particularly consistent, but it helps that antibiotics target something less subjective than pain or mood

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    So no quick route to some cocaine during a teeth cleaning?

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    So no quick route to some cocaine during a teeth cleaning?

I don't know about a regular cleaning but as someone who apparently has nerve clusters not quite in the right place in their mouth and has a body that flushes all of the novocaine away from their teeth and into the rest of their face in like 10-15 minutes? I fucking wish.

Having a crown put on when the novocaine wear off halfway through a crown is a hell of an experience. That I've had three times >_<

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    New Some More News segment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p5ThZs3uWw

edit: And this one didn't get posted, I notice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szybEhqUmVI

Kamar on
  • Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    John Oliver's Last Week Tonight has a brilliant episode on SLAPP lawsuits: the type of frivolous anti-libel/slander litigation that big corporations and rich douche-canoes use to sue critics, protestors, and investigative journalists in an effort to intimidate and financially destroy them into silence (the type of litigation that Trump loves to curb freedom of speech and the press).

https://youtu.be/UN8bJb8biZU

The song and dance number at the end is just amazeballs. Give that man and his crew some (more) awards!

Oh, and Bob Murray (the rich douche-canoe of this episode making a reappearance on the show) can go fuck himself.

Raiju on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Isn't Murray supposed to eat shit? He's the coal guy, right?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Part of the problem with SLAPP suits is that there's little accountability for the lawyers involved (which is a reoccurring issue when it comes to unethical legal behavior.) If filing a SLAPP suit that is caught out means that the lawyer doesn't get to be a lawyer for a while (or even for good), a lot fewer lawyers would be willing to sign on.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Raiju wrote: »
    John Oliver's Last Week Tonight has a brilliant episode on SLAPP lawsuits: the type of frivolous anti-libel/slander litigation that big corporations and rich douche-canoes use to sue critics, protestors, and investigative journalists in an effort to intimidate and financially destroy them into silence (the type of litigation that Trump loves to curb freedom of speech and the press).

The song and dance number at the end is just amazeballs. Give that man and his crew some (more) awards!

Oh, and Bob Murray (the rich douche-canoe of this episode making a reappearance on the show) can go fuck himself.

He really wants Bob Murray to sue him again, doesn't he?
    Part of the problem with SLAPP suits is that there's little accountability for the lawyers involved (which is a reoccurring issue when it comes to unethical legal behavior.) If filing a SLAPP suit that is caught out means that the lawyer doesn't get to be a lawyer for a while (or even for good), a lot fewer lawyers would be willing to sign on.

It's an issue for frivolous copyright claims too. Lawful Masses on YouTube covers a lot of those, the host Leonard French being a copyright attorney by trade, and he always gets downright giddy when a copyright troll manages to get in trouble.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    The ending bit on this week's John Oliver had me in stitches, crying from laughing too hard.

He is doing good work. A true American hero.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    That song and dance routine looked like it was cathartic for John and his team.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    The ending bit on this week's John Oliver had me in stitches, crying from laughing too hard.

He is doing good work. A true American hero.

He's British but America should claim him for all the great work he's done.
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Raiju wrote: »

He really wants Bob Murray to sue him again, doesn't he?

They actually bring that up in the song and dance number (the "Bob Murray dips his balls in my hot dog water" part, I believe); he can't sue them again because their comedy show falls under the parody clause, basically, as ruled by the judge when Murray dropped his suit.

Raiju on
  • Options
    Well, Murray will try. That’s both John’s point in the song and the piece: Murray is gonna try to silence John no matter how tame his piece is, because anything that’s not completely complimentary will get sued, so they said fuck it, come at me bro and play this in front of a judge, I dare you!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    I can't believe how insane this episode was that the fact that an entire supreme court got impeached and that was worth like 30 seconds of time in this whole thing.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »
    I can't believe how insane this episode was that the fact that an entire supreme court got impeached and that was worth like 30 seconds of time in this whole thing.

America is broken in so many tiny ways all over the place

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    How can you sue in a place that neither you or the other party resides?

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    America is broken in so many tiny ways all over the place

I mean, I'm sure someone has a better, factual, non-pithy answer.

But that does seem to sum it up as well.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »

They were impeached but not convicted/removed. Basically, the Chief Justice was MASSIVELY corrupt (the one Oliver joked about), and the others were more low level corrupt like abusing government vehicles and going to expensive lunches on the government's dime, so the House said "fuck it" and impeached the whole lot for lack of oversight and abusing money.

Two resigned (including the one Oliver joked about, who was convicted in a criminal court), one was reprimanded, and an injunction blocked impeachment from proceeding against any of the others, but they were likely to be only reprimanded too.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »

Murray Energy operates a coal mine in West Virginia, which is technically owned by "The Marshall County Coal Company". (This is done to limit liability. If somehow this company gets a huge fine, you can just shut down the company to stop it from reaching your real company.) "The Marshall County Coal Company" is one of the entities that sued HBO and John Oliver, which gives them standing, under the principle that defamation against the CEO is also defamation against their company. (HBO's lawyers were arguing that this wasn't good enough. I haven't been able to find the Motion to Dismiss for Failure to State a Claim, which should contain that argument. The judge did not rule on that, as the case was dismissed for other reasons.)

I will also point out that this never got to trial. Essentially the judge read the Motion to Dismiss for Failure to State a Claim, said "Yeah, that sound about right", and dismissed the case with prejudice....and it only took eight months. Then it got appealed.

Initial complaint: http://blogs2.law.columbia.edu/climate-change-litigation/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/case-documents/2017/20170621_docket-17-C-124_complaint.pdf
    Judge's ruling: http://blogs2.law.columbia.edu/climate-change-litigation/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/case-documents/2018/20180221_docket-17-C-124_letter.pdf

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    For a more upbeat moment.

My favorite part of that is John throwing the bottle.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It's probably the happiest thing to come out of Last Week Tonight in 3-4 years. Reminds me of the Salmon Cannon.

I cannot believe that the Japanese town is going along with this.

Or AT&T for that matter.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGF3ObOBbac

Color me baffled that people go through this much clothing.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Yeah the average seems incredibly high and confusing to me as someone who only buys new clothes when current ones don't fit or get damaged. Like I probably buy less than the average of the 80s in a given year. And certainly don't only wear a clothing item only 3 times.

But that's averages for you, when you're an outlier.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The sad nerd demographic of this forum isn't the target market for fashion

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »

Hey hey I'm not a sad nerd thank you, I'm very positive

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Didn’t Sam Bee cover something like that a couple years ago?

I’m trying to find the video, unfortunately google is failing me, but it was definitely one of the Daily Show alumni covering the use of sweatshops for rapid fashion changes to keep people buying clothes.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Didn’t Sam Bee cover something like that a couple years ago?

I’m trying to find the video, unfortunately google is failing me, but it was definitely one of the Daily Show alumni covering the use of sweatshops for rapid fashion changes to keep people buying clothes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdLf4fihP78

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »

My ragged Yugioh t-shirt is not sad! It's eco-friendly!

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    I remember some TED talk touting the fashion churn business model as "the answer" to media intellectual property issues (this was prior to the market flooding with streaming services). As if big budget studio movies with multi-year life cycles can just switch to a model where they knock out a Marvel movie for $1mil in a month to keep ahead of the various piracy hosting sites.

My response was "turning one of the last bastions of unionised labour into low-quality sweatshops is not the answer to digital distribution disruption".

• Options
    I am soooo bored with superhero movies. Which is funny as I devoured superhero comics as a teenager.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Honestly, if you are shopping at these places all the time, I could believe it.

The #1 thing with the clothing from fast fashion places is that it's CRAAAAAAAAP. That shit is garbage. You can feel it if you have enough experience with what good clothing feels like. It's cheap and it falls apart quickly. You pay way less for it but it's gonna fall apart or look shitty fairly quickly.

So you combine a lack of durability with some people trying to stay trendy and I can see some serious churn in many people's wardrobes.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

Honestly, if you are shopping at these places all the time, I could believe it.

The #1 thing with the clothing from fast fashion places is that it's CRAAAAAAAAP. That shit is garbage. You can feel it if you have enough experience with what good clothing feels like. It's cheap and it falls apart quickly. You pay way less for it but it's gonna fall apart or look shitty fairly quickly.

So you combine a lack of durability with some people trying to stay trendy and I can see some serious churn in many people's wardrobes.

Yeah quality on certain items is definitely shit. Like you get what you paid for is certainly in play here.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS9CFBlLOcg

Putting a pin in the philanthropy of billionaires.

Now with a lot of these shows I get the need for comedy cause these are bitter pills to swallow. Yet it always feels like a weird thing of "hey these people are actively destructive but man what a bad haircut!"

Sometimes it feels like these shows are just trying to get in cheap jokes and not foster change because hey, we just laughed at how silly this person despite them having an inordinate amount of control over our lives! We sure showed them!

But then the alternative might just be outright despair?

Or maybe I'm just mad at myself that I don't do more.