As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Judycial System

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Judycial System

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    I'd be more surprised to learn if there wasn't a streamer with that name, tbh.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I'm pleased to learn Mike enjoys Judge Judy as much as I do, and HOLY HELL do I need to see this episode.

But Mike.Mike. MIKE. In all recent episodes of Judge Judy, she's wearing a pony tail! Did you just draw her in the 'classic' way in case someone wouldn't recognize her with the pony tail?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm deeply, deeply unsettled by this art. Which is good. But also, holy shit.

What is this I don't even.
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Ok boomer

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I'm pleased to learn Mike enjoys Judge Judy as much as I do, and HOLY HELL do I need to see this episode.

But Mike.Mike. MIKE. In all recent episodes of Judge Judy, she's wearing a pony tail! Did you just draw her in the 'classic' way in case someone wouldn't recognize her with the pony tail?

I honestly had no idea she has. Haven't seen the show in years.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Quid wrote: »

I honestly had no idea she has. Haven't seen the show in years.

I watch her show a lot. But only on Youtube, because JJ doesn't do streaming, for some reason, and I don't watch regular TV.

Anyway, behold her pony tailed glory:

dzV2SjT.png

Considering my mom has kept a similar hairstyle as classic Judy for all 42 years that I've known her, I wonder what made Judge Judy change her hair. It's got to be a comfort thing.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    Now this needs a "Like" button.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Sorry, but Judith Shendlin is a toxic, racist goose:
    Sheindlin’s books give a startling look into how her mind works, and what they reveal is disturbing. They traffic in two major stereotypes that have been rightfully maligned as racist, as well as untrue. The first is the 1990s bogeyman, the superpredator, a species of (usually black) juvenile delinquents—she literally describes them as a “new breed”—so fundamentally without conscience that they needed to be locked up rather than make any attempt at reform. In writing about them, she reduces them to numbers, her contempt practically oozing: “First up is Elmo, fifteen, who weighs 160 pounds and has an IQ of 90.” What we’re supposed to make of his fairly average weight and IQ, I’m not sure, but it’s clear that she thinks both render him somehow subhuman.

The second stereotype is the welfare queen, an epithet Sheindlin applies to foster parents. She reserves particular vitriol for “kinship” foster parents: grandparents or other family members who cannot afford to care for their relative’s children without help from the government. She tells an almost certainly apocryphal story about a kinship foster parent with a black AmEx card that Sheindlin notes she herself couldn’t qualify for.

The last panel is one of the more honest depictions of her that I've seen in media.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    I'm not going to defend Sheindlin on her shittier aspects. Sometimes I enjoy problematic things. If I didn't allow myself to enjoy problematic things I'd have nothing left to enjoy.

But problematic or not, seeing Sheindlin tear a dumbass streamer a new one would be a joy to behold.

• T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I'm reminded of a recent episode of that new legal show All Rise, where a gamer takes her friend to court for deleting her character for some made up game, and the only way the public defender character can convince the gamer to take the stand and properly explain why she's so adamant about sueing, is to let her wear make up and speak while pretending to be her character.

I thought that was the cringiest 'TV show tries to get gamer culture' moment I'd seen in a while, up there with the Second Life episode of CSI New York and that Godawful CSI Cyber episode about gun smuggling through Blacklight Retribution. But this real life streamer sounds like it might top even them.

Are there any clips online?

T-Danger on
  • MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular

I don't keep up with Judge Judy at all, so I would have pictured her with the hair that Mike drew. However, I think I would have recognized her even in ponytail form simply by the white collar on her robe. lol

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular

At least he got the mouth right.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    Are there any clips online?

There was a clip online. Then as soon as I finished watching it and sent it to a friend it got taken down. I haven't been able to find another yet.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Sorry, but Judith Shendlin is a toxic, racist goose:
    Sheindlin’s books give a startling look into how her mind works, and what they reveal is disturbing. They traffic in two major stereotypes that have been rightfully maligned as racist, as well as untrue. The first is the 1990s bogeyman, the superpredator, a species of (usually black) juvenile delinquents—she literally describes them as a “new breed”—so fundamentally without conscience that they needed to be locked up rather than make any attempt at reform. In writing about them, she reduces them to numbers, her contempt practically oozing: “First up is Elmo, fifteen, who weighs 160 pounds and has an IQ of 90.” What we’re supposed to make of his fairly average weight and IQ, I’m not sure, but it’s clear that she thinks both render him somehow subhuman.

The second stereotype is the welfare queen, an epithet Sheindlin applies to foster parents. She reserves particular vitriol for “kinship” foster parents: grandparents or other family members who cannot afford to care for their relative’s children without help from the government. She tells an almost certainly apocryphal story about a kinship foster parent with a black AmEx card that Sheindlin notes she herself couldn’t qualify for.

The last panel is one of the more honest depictions of her that I've seen in media.

Ya'know, I do have to take one issue w/ the article. This line:
    Her show, meanwhile, is usually described as successful because she “tells the truth”—and not because America has a long history of finding it fun to watch vulnerable people be subjected to humiliation.

I'm sure Sheindlin was a terrible real-court judge and am glad she's just an entertainer now and not destroying real people. I mean, the people on her show are real, yes, and some of them are vulnerable, but she doesn't have the ability to make an actual court judgement against a poor person such that they have to pay anyone any money - the producers pay all the judgments.

Beyond that, I actually don't enjoy it when she's reaming someone for being on disability or some other benefit. I'm usually yelling at the screen saying "You're wrong!" or similar. The thing that makes Judge Judy enjoyable - and probably what has Mike's interest, though of course that's only a guess - is when she has someone who's clearly trying to exploit the other person in court, and Judge Judy reams the exploiter. So for example, a classic episode was about an ebay auction. One woman bought a used phone, the other woman sent her a picture of a phone thinking herself a clever scammer. Judge Judy heard the cased, yelled at the scammer, and the woman who was scammed got her money back. That's your typical enjoyable Judge Judy episode - shitty people get yelled at, exploited people get their money back.

Other particularly satisfying episodes of her show revolve around an obviously abused offspring getting to hear Judy yell at their abusive parents, or an exploited tenant having Judy yell at their exploitative landlord.

Does she yell at people that they should have used contraception instead of having a bunch of kids before they turned 21? Yes she does this, and I never considered it as disdain for the poor. Mostly because I didn't grow up poor but the idea of me having any children before I turned 21 (or ever) sends shivers up my spine, and I know I could have turned out that way because my parents didn't believe in contraception. Thank god I was so sexually unappealing before the age of 30! I feel like it's kind of helpful to have an wizened old conservative on TV every afternoon telling kids they should use condoms, though. It normalizes what should be normal and non-controversial.

I didn't really want to make some sort of apologia for Judge Judy, I know she's horrible about a lot of things. But the idea that people only watch her show to laugh at the poor rankled a bit. That's not why I watch her show, and I don't think it would be as popular is it is if that's all she did - or rather, it would only be as popular as someone like Sean Hannity, rather than the more universal popularity that she enjoys. A shitty exploitative streamer is a perfect example of the kind of defendant that makes her show really enjoyable, and I think she's lucky to have a good set of producers who know what kind of litigants to give her to bring out her most amusing side instead of her most nasty one.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    If this comic bothered you, don't look up "The Taking of Deborah Logan, Cave Scene" on Youtube.

If this comic bothered you, don't look up "The Taking of Deborah Logan, Cave Scene" on Youtube.

I've seen this movie and completely forgot that scene. Unfortunately, horror films have to work pretty hard to frighten or disgust me. I'm from the internet.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I've seen this movie and completely forgot that scene. Unfortunately, horror films have to work pretty hard to frighten or disgust me. I'm from the internet.

Same.

No, the bear scene in Annihilation didn't make me curl up and die, why do you ask?