As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rick & Morty] Justin Roiland Versus Season Seven (Oct. 15th 2023)

Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her|Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
edited September 2023 in Debate and/or Discourse
WPaOzyD.jpg
Rick and Morty is an American animated television program that debuted on Adult Swim. Why should you care?

- Its creators are Dan Harmon (creator of NBC's "Community") and Justin Roiland (voice of Lemongrab, the most fucked-up kid's show character ever, on "Adventure Time").
- It is primarily inspired by Doctor Who and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
- It is some of the craziest shit on TV.

Here's the basic premise: Mad genius and barely-functioning alcoholic Rick Sanchez (voiced by Justin Roiland) drags his not-terribly-bright grandson Morty Smith (voiced by Justin Roiland) on wild and distressingly fucked-up sci-fi adventures while also indifferently making life more complicated for his daughter Beth, son-in-law Jerry, and granddaughter Summer (none of whom are voiced by Justin Roiland).

So far, Rick and Morty have traveled throughout alternate universes, explored the dream-scapes of math teacher and super-intelligent dog, escaped from the innards of a homeless man, outwitted aliens, avoided being sent to jail by giants, and Cronenberged the entire Earth. In season 4 (the first half is only five episodes that we know about so far) they'll get up to even more, ever crazy adventures! 100 years, Rick & Morty, dot-com!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBYsx1QWF9A

Some of the fan-base is very vociferous and toxic. I'm not one of them. Don't be one of those ass-hole Szechuan-sauce demanding types! And tag your spoilers, please! :)

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
Zilla360 on

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    This episode was not subtle about how they view that subset of fans

Edit no idea how that autocorrect happened

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    So that was... fun. Not crazy ofF the wall type of the S3 opener but a good fresh start. Like this is probably not going to create any of the Szechuan sauce mania which actually ups the episode in my esteem.

Its also nice to see that Morty can be just as much as an asshole as Rick if there something he wants. The ending punch line was killer though.

Also the entire Fascist subplot was another dig at a certain subsection of fans right? Cause there are people that buy into Ricks ubermensch front that have a heavy overlap with such assholes.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    This episode was not subtle about how they view that subset of fans...
    Yeah, I loved seeing that. :)

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Which subset? The social justice hologram or the fascist teddy bear?

Kipling217 wrote: »
    So that was... fun. Not crazy ofF the wall type of the S3 opener but a good fresh start. Like this is probably not going to create any of the Szechuan sauce mania which actually ups the episode in my esteem.

Its also nice to see that Morty can be just as much as an asshole as Rick if there something he wants. The ending punch line was killer though.

Also the entire Fascist subplot was another dig at a certain subsection of fans right? Cause there are people that buy into Ricks ubermensch front that have a heavy overlap with such assholes.

Oh for sure. FascMorty's rambling about classic adventures of course but Rick being really shocked/annoyed how many versions of him were Nazis as well

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

Which subset? The social justice hologram or the fascist teddy bear?

The fascists. Fascist Morty specifically. Literal wasps were better people.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I feel like Rick and Morty and the Venture Bros do their best to shake loose their fanbase. Not sure I even saw all of season 3. Aside from that fucking pickle bit which seemed determined to replace the lying cake as the most obnoxious bit of overdone fandom.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the new episode quite a bit

As for pickle rick, it's not Rick and Morty's fault that got so overdone. Tis the nature of the internet to run a good thing into the ground.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Dr. Wong's accurate evaluation of Rick's behavior sticks with me more than the Pickle Rick plot.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    That whole episode was a little on the nose with the way Rick acted and was analyzed, if I remember it right. But yeah, the internet loves to beat stuff to death.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I was more impressed they got Susan Sarandon than anything that episode.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Glad this is back on. Episode was enjoyable. Really laughed when Rick was a teddy bear and just offed himself.

camo_sig2.png
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    That whole episode was a little on the nose with the way Rick acted and was analyzed, if I remember it right. But yeah, the internet loves to beat stuff to death.

Apparently not on the nose enough given the idolatry of Pickle Rick.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    Everyone in the show seems to be a broken piece of shit in one way or another. I wonder if we'll ever see the original Beth/Summer/Jerry from the universe Rick and Morty abandoned.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Everyone in the show seems to be a broken piece of shit in one way or another. I wonder if we'll ever see the original Beth/Summer/Jerry from the universe Rick and Morty abandoned.

We already saw them in the season 3 premiere.

• NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    I wonder how much of that was, simply, its really fun to say "IM PICKLE RIIIIIIICK"

Like, the cadence is perfect, the assonance in pickle and rick.....plus the trailer was well done and that was a key moment in the trailer prior to the episode. So, i think it probably just got WAY over used not because anyone wants to BE Rick, but simply because it was fun to say.
    And pickle -despite being the devils fruit- is a fun word to say.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I wonder if we'll ever see the original Beth/Summer/Jerry from the universe Rick and Morty abandoned.
    We already did:

They did in the first episode of season three. Jerry and Summer are all buff and Beth is feral. I’m pretty sure they were killed by the Council of Ricks though.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.

They did in the first episode of season three. Jerry and Summer are all buff and Beth is feral. I’m pretty sure they were killed by the Council of Ricks though.

Just frozen I believe.

camo_sig2.png
    Heir wrote: »

Just frozen I believe.

But wouldn’t that be fatal if no one unfreezes you?

steam_sig.png

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular

Just frozen I believe.

Only if they die.

Madpoet wrote: »

Just frozen I believe.

Only if they die.

Yes.., that’s what killing you means...?

steam_sig.png

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I think if the Ricks weren't specifically using non-lethal means, they would've just shot them with regular bullets lasers.

edit: curse you autocorrect and your unnecessary apostrophes

Calica on
    Cop Ricks don't seem to be allowed to kill family members

I mean, the show is a dark comedy but it would still be a downer if they shoot to kill.

They killed enough Morty’s in that Ricklantis episode alone and it’s one of my favorites. And Morty did kill zombie versions of his family one time, so there’s no real reason why the Council couldn’t have killed Morty’s original family when they froze them, just that there’s no proof they lived or died either way, but I doubt being frozen solid in cronenburg world helps their situation much.

steam_sig.png

emnmnme wrote: »

I mean, the show is a dark comedy but it would still be a downer if they shoot to kill.

I mean they do later on

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Watched the S4x01 episode. It was a nice return, with some subtle "Fuck fascism" tossed in there. It was a good one without being crazy pants insane.

KoopahTroopah on
    I think y'all are looking into it way too much. They froze Jerry in another episode when they came to arrest C-137 Rick (I think season 1?). Either way, they make it pretty obvious when they kill someone...usually by blowing their brains our or disintegrating them. They clearly froze them as a means to pacify them in a non-lethal method.

camo_sig2.png
  • HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    I'd see ricks avoiding killing versions of his daughter as a thing.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It's interesting to me that Rick is essentially unkillable. Even though he should have died, be keeps repawning in other dimensions, thanks to his cloning protocol. I'm curious both on how many bodies he's gone through (several that we know of) and also, how his consciousness always comes back with all his memories intact.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Every Rick probably needs to know which Rick they are.

It's interesting to me that Rick is essentially unkillable. Even though he should have died, be keeps repawning in other dimensions, thanks to his cloning protocol. I'm curious both on how many bodies he's gone through (several that we know of) and also, how his consciousness always comes back with all his memories intact.

Welp he admits he wasn't expecting to end up in a vat its just other versions of him didn't stop the cloning project

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

Welp he admits he wasn't expecting to end up in a vat its just other versions of him didn't stop the cloning project

I just meant that even in accidental deaths, he seems to always come back somehow. The show hinting that even if Rick's body dies, he's pretty much always gonna come back

It kinda makes Rick functionally immortal cause the Tiny Rick episode had multiple ages of Rick. So assuming infinite realities for Rick’s consciousness to jump to, be can never actually be killed or randomly die of old age because, well, Infinity.

But that also means any other Rick that’s hooked into Project Phoenix’s “inter-dimensional network” or whatever is immortal too. Or I’m reading too much in to it. I do that sometimes too, but I think it’s fun, so fuck it I stick by it.

steam_sig.png

Or I’m reading too much in to it.

Rick can't permanently die or else they'd have to change the show to 'Jerry & Morty', a half-hour of Morty and his Dad thinking up ad slogans for apples, and no one wants to see that.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Very busy episode.

Lotta stuff going on. Especially at the end.

Lotta stuff.

H9f4bVe.png
  • OricalmOricalm MDRegistered User regular

What if his surprise is more that Morty didn't bring him back rather than ending up in a vat? What if he actually knew that was how the cloning system worked? In that case, it would make sense for C-137 Rick to destroy his system so no other Ricks from the Council of Ricks could "accidentally" show up in his lab.

Which also potentially sets up for the Rick that C-137 Rick (and Morty) replaced eventually coming back to their dimension/reality.

Xbox Live: Oricalm
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

I just meant that even in accidental deaths, he seems to always come back somehow. The show hinting that even if Rick's body dies, he's pretty much always gonna come back

Well yeah. The "and Morty" show doesn't have the same ring to it.

I just took it as the ship moving Rick's mind to the nearest project Phoenix that lined up with his own which included a lot of fascists