As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Megaten/Persona Discussion] Now with 500% less heart!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Persona 5 add-on content coming for Catherine: Full Body

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Wh... whyyyy?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Wh... whyyyy?

Moneyhat

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Second dungeon down! Once again, the boss was really tough. Couldn't beat him on my first try, but it did help me prepare a strategy for my second try: equip confusion protection accessories on everyone, don't waste too many resources on damaging the boss himself and, most importantly, Agility Bind. Having the boss go last every turn and nullifying his super-Sukukaja was pretty much the key to beating him.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Wh... whyyyy?

I mean, if this is a alternate version of what happens on Valentine’s Day if you’re dating literally everything... it tracks.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    It's just for for challenge maps

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Well, I'm only moderately ashamed to say that I turned down the difficulty for the third boss. Cause seriously, fuck that fight.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/VArlzKwFxNY

Royal Western release window confirmed for Spring 2020.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKEKHvJJ5Mg

I have to admit, it looks cool.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    It really does look cool. I'm surprised at the amount of effort they seem to be putting into it. Actually having downtime between combat and running around a town with npcs and stuff wasn't something I was expecting.

It's also a sequel to the original, happening 6 months later during spring break. So like, kind of similar to P4A, but, again, way more effort.

The actual gameplay looks like it could be fun but I need to see more. Seeing a Baton Pass got me pretty excited though. If you can like, Super, Baton Pass for a buff, continue your combo into another super, that could be real cool.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    It honestly makes me think of what a Raidou game would have been like had it made it out of last(-last) gen.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I uh thought that second video was just a trailer for p5r for far too long and was like "wow they added so much new content that's a cool massive battle mode hey wait a second"

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    If you can like, Super, Baton Pass for a buff, continue your combo into another super, that could be real cool.
    I'd say that is a possibility because you could switch off like that after a special or mid-combo in the last musou game I played.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Oh my goodness I never follow any of the spinoff games/replay the whole damn game again with some random extra stuff added(FES at least did this the right way and allowed you to just play the new content) games so I didn't even know that one was happening.

But I just randomly watched the video and I am so excited.

Basically a sequel with some action combat? Sign me the fuck up!

• Options
    It's been fun going around the internet and seeing people getting hype for Scramble. A lot of people who wrote it off as a spin-off had their minds changed by that trailer

also here's some dope new music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64db2savXJU

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    that feb 20th release date for scramble is just for japan though right?

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    that feb 20th release date for scramble is just for japan though right?

As far as I know yeah. No localization news yet.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Well I got spoiled on what makes a new thing possible in Royal and I’m so pissed that my enthusiasm is practically dead now.

Tiered Spoilers for The Who, the what, and the how.
    Goro Akechi
    Becoming a permanent party member
    You’d think this means he survives somehow. But no he doesn’t. The one you get after Shido’s palace is a fake created by the new villain so Joker can have an Akechi around that he can be friends with. And this isn’t even a secret, the new villain basically drops Fakechi in your lap telling you such.

So like, why do I give a shit about this copy? Why would I even want him in my group? Why would I waste any time with him?

They really thought this would be better than finding a way for Akechi to survive if you maxed his social link? Really?

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Is this team REALLY that loved. I mean they have some stand out members (Makato and Yusuke being standouts) but really? This is a ton of content for them. Persona Q was fun and Scramble looks REALLY fun but it's definitely my least favorite cast of characters.
    Viskod wrote: »
    Well I got spoiled on what makes a new thing possible in Royal and I’m so pissed that my enthusiasm is practically dead now.

Goro Akechi
    You’d think this means he survives somehow. But no he doesn’t. The one you get after Shido’s palace is a fake created by the new villain so Joker can have an Akechi around that he can be friends with. And this isn’t even a secret, the new villain basically drops Fakechi in your lap telling you such.

So like, why do I give a shit about this copy? Why would I even want him in my group? Why would I waste any time with him?

They really thought this would be better than finding a way for Akechi to survive if you maxed his social link? Really?

Yikes. I had no interest in playing Royal as the story just isn't that good, but yowza.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    ED! wrote: »
    Is this team REALLY that loved. I mean they have some stand out members (Makato and Yusuke being standouts) but really? This is a ton of content for them. Persona Q was fun and Scramble looks REALLY fun but it's definitely my least favorite cast of characters.
    Viskod wrote: »

Goro Akechi

Yikes. I had no interest in playing Royal as the story just isn't that good, but yowza.

It's actually a bit worse than even that.
    Seriously, no turning back here.
    The whole third term gimmick is that everyone's life is all of a sudden perfect. Whatever their problems were are now fixed. Futaba's mom is alive again. Morgana's a regular person. Yusuke's teacher is a good dude who supports him. So on and so forth. They couldn't think of something for Akechi or the protagonist, so uh... they're rival/friends now, apparently. And then the dude goes "I'm a god and made everything perfect. Accept or no?" Upon saying no and beating him, it rewinds back to the original end of Persona 5. None of it ever happened.

It's essentially a filler episode that could have gone anywhere, which they tried to make into a final boss.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Funny enough, I recently pulled Catherine out of my backlog.

The transition between Shounen Marty Stu Simulator 2018 to a horror puzzle game about a very shitty boyfriend has been feeling very ironic.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    https://youtu.be/dFWXBQH9f5s

March 31.

EDIT: Beaten!

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    above royal spoilers
    Yowza that's silly. But also I'm honestly happy because the idea of having a different story be canon that you can only experience if you buy a new version of the same game and replay the entirety of it over again just to find out about is... really awful and bad.

So yea, I'm happy it's a complete nothing story. Because fuck that nonsense otherwise.

• Options
    New Phantom Strikers trailer:

https://youtu.be/ka8SoGxfH3E

• Options
    Even they are acknowledging it's basically P5-2

• Options
    Even they are acknowledging it's basically P5-2

I mean... this is what's getting me interested in it. (Well okay, that and me having gotten a Switch since it was announced.)

• Options
    I'm relieved it's not Switch exclusive, at least.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm relieved it's not Switch exclusive, at least.

Yea PS4 all the way for me.

Man that would be real messed up to make it exclusive to a different system than the original release..

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    You mean like Persona 4 Golden? I'm still bitter that thing never left Vita.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

It was also on the Playstation TV.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited January 2020

I never played that. Wasn't that just P4 with extra stuff added?

If so it's not quite the same.

Even storywise it just added extra bits, it didn't continue the story further did it?

Plus just by adding an extra character it basically makes it an alternate timeline without any bearing on the original game anywho.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Which no one bought. :P

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Hey, I have one!

It plays P4G.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular

Hey, I have one!

It plays P4G.

I bought one too! And if I ever actually hook it up, it'll be for P4G and P3P.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    PSTV was just a headless PSVita, let's be real

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    A headless Vita with an HDMI out, making it much easier to hook up to a real TV (for those so inclined).

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I own two. The first one's adapter self-destructed due to puppy teething and I went "eh, whatever, guess that's gone forever," but then they were on sale for like $20 at some point so I figured why not.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options

I never played that. Wasn't that just P4 with extra stuff added?

If so it's not quite the same.

Even storywise it just added extra bits, it didn't continue the story further did it?

Plus just by adding an extra character it basically makes it an alternate timeline without any bearing on the original game anywho.

And an inferior OP.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    So I got a PS4 and Persona 5 on Christmas 2017. Played the hell out of it and loved it for 3 months, started losing interest around the FRIGGING airlocks level, then finally in March gradually stopped playing when I hit that...god...damn...mice segment.

I put the game down for two years and just now picked it up again, vowing to beat it.

The thing with P5 is, as great as the overall game is, it really starts breaking down mechanically and design wise the further you go. The confidant system quickly destroys any challenge (it's like they designed the balance first, then threw in the confidant system and forgot to go back and readjust the balance for it). Mementos progress is hard locked by story progression, yet each the monster difficulty is 1-2 entire palaces behind the deepest part each chapter currently gives you access to. The entire game just gets crazy easier the further you go; nothing has been as challenging as the first palace.

Let's talk about the palaces! So the whole sneaking and stealth mechanic isn't that great as a dedicated stealth game, but it was a nice little side thing to go along with an RPG about sneaky thieves. You could bypass enemies, and punishment for being caught was a battle that could be dangerous and drained you. The palaces started off with wide open areas you could sneak around in. As you go on though, it gets more and more common for narrow corridors you can't avoid enemies in. You have to fight them. Then you throw in the f***** mice section, and now half your party or more is wiped out if you're caught. And even on top of all that, now shadows spot you from even farther away and can initiate combat without touching you!

I almost broke again when
    You go through yet another giant mouse section of flipping switches and unlocking doors, was warped back to the first area, was told I had to go back to the restaurant from early on, was told I had to go back to the most recent farthest save point, then told I had to go "up". Ummmm...does that mean I have to go through the last mouse section again since there's an elevator at the end that takes you up? I go back to the mouse section. There's still one locked room I couldn't reach from last time so this must be the right way! The final locked room gives access to nothing... Go through the whole area again, reach the elevators, warped back to first area. The hell? Oooooooh, "up" meant I had to right instead of left outside the last save room, backtracking even more, then spot a small icon telling me I can jump up off screen, an icon you can't see until you're quite a bit away from the save room. No indication or hint that backtracking takes you "up".
    Dear lord. The cruise ship palace just might be my least favorite level in all of video games. The only reason it isn't a shoe-in for the title is that the air castle from Twilight Princess exists.

MrBody on
This discussion has been closed.