As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Take care. Listen to health authorities.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    This French entrepreneur could move to Alberta. We have the largest francophone population west of Ontario, and several French communities close to major centres.

On second thought, don't come to Alberta at the moment. 'tis a silly place.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    This French entrepreneur could move to Alberta. We have the largest francophone population west of Ontario, and several French communities close to major centres.

On second thought, don't come to Alberta at the moment. 'tis a silly place.

The French out here is weiiiiird.

I find it hard to follow along.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Is Saskatchewan wheat the most corrosive type of wheat imaginable??

And seems like a good way to get a dust explosion

Wheat cannon has a pretty good rule of cool though so I'm down

I imagine its corrosiveness would come second to its ablativeness if we're hourking large amounts of wheat across half the continent.

On the other hand, a dust explosion would increase the power of this wheat cannon, mnaking it more efficient than ever.

Sold!

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    In today's edition of Oh My God Please Get Fucked, CAQ:
    Émilie Dubois had everything she needed to settle in Quebec long term. A French citizen, she applied to come to the province after completing a PhD at French-language Laval University in Quebec City.

But the provincial government refused Dubois's residency application because one chapter of her thesis was in English.

In a letter sent to Dubois earlier this year, the Immigration Ministry said the 31-year-old French native had not demonstrated she had the level of French required to receive a Quebec selection certificate, the first step toward permanent residency, under the province's experience program (PEQ).

"You did not complete program of study in Quebec entirely in French, including the dissertation or thesis," the letter read.

Yes, a French citizen from France did a doctoral dissertation in French, but the inclusion of a section written in English means, in the eyes of the provincial government, that she doesn't have a command of the language and thus may not live there. To make it worse, starting a business was also counted against her.

But sure, it's the immigrants who are the problem, right?

Bluuuuuuuughghjfdkshfkdjsfhskdf.

Everything about the CAQ's immigration "reform" is downright idiotic and disastrous for Quebec.

Seriously. Molecular biology PhD (especially these days), multilingual dissertation, launched a business (presumably) relevant to that while finishing the degree?

The correct term for a government which decides that kind of person isn't qualified to hang around is "insane."

Well, good news! After being publicly ridiculed for this, the immigration department reversed its decision and called her personally to say she'd receive her paperwork within the week.

More importantly, Legault has put the entire immigration reform on ice pending "consultations". I guess he saw it was not tenable in the face of the entire education system, business community, media, all opposition parties, and most of the population. I guess his Facebook page wasn't enough support after all!

sig.gif
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I'll take any win where someone doesn't double down on shit head behaviour.
    It's still terrible it happened but good they reversed it.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Oh snap, they found a pair and fired Cherry.

"Sports brings people together - it unites us, not divides us. Following further discussions with Don Cherry after Saturday night's broadcast, it has been decided it is the right time for him to immediately step down," Sportsnet president Bart Yabsley said in a statement. "During the broadcast, he made divisive remarks that do not represent our values or what we stand for.

"Don is synonymous with hockey and has played an integral role in growing the game over the past 40 years. We would like to thank Don for his contributions to hockey and sports broadcasting in Canada."

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1877544/

• Options
    I'm legitimately astonished. I figured he was invulnerable, though that statement makes it sound like they asked for a retraction/apology and he doubled down.

I mean, I'm sure the Rebel's already drafting a contract for him, but...

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Yeah, I can't figure out why now. It's not like he hasn't said dumb shit all the time every week.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Yeah, I can't figure out why now. It's not like he hasn't said dumb shit all the time every week.

Maybe because Rogers is bleeding money from the NHL deal and it was an opportunity to cut what I have to assume was a big salary. They have been laying off other reporters and on air talent.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    I'm legitimately astonished. I figured he was invulnerable, though that statement makes it sound like they asked for a retraction/apology and he doubled down.

I mean, I'm sure the Rebel's already drafting a contract for him, but...

CPC is probably going to be looking for a new leader!

I'm only like, 75% kidding.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    From everything I ever heard, Don Cherry should have been fired in 1981. Having someone paid by the public broadcaster to be racist against everyone in Canada who's not a conservative WASP was shameful.
    Mind, it was useful for the PQ. Cherry's employment was a very good argument in favour of independence.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    As my wife commented, I wish he'd gone out a better way, although I think we all knew it was going to go this route via one gaffe or another.
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

Maybe because Rogers is bleeding money from the NHL deal and it was an opportunity to cut what I have to assume was a big salary. They have been laying off other reporters and on air talent.

I surely would imagine this is a big(ger) part of it for Rogers, a way to weasel out of paying him while looking vaguely decent.

Nosf on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I just can't figure out how this was over the line vs anything else has has done in the past 20 years, if anything this seems way milder.

about time though

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Full comments he made:

"You know, I was talking to a veteran who said 'I'm not going to run the poppy thing anymore no sense anymore, I live in Mississauga, no one wears- very few people wear. Downtown Toronto, forget it. Downtown Toronto Nobody wears a poppy',
    So I say 'Wait a minute, why not run it for the people that buy them?"
    Now you go to the small cities and you know the rows on rows.
    And you know; you people love, you know the people who come here from wherever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey. At least you could pay a couple of bucks for a poppy or something like that.
    These guys pay for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada. That these guys paid the biggest price.
    Anyway I'm going to run it again for you great people. For you great Canadians who still bought a poppy."

It's a combination of enough is enough, pretty blatantly racist and Rogers needs to clip some heads for savings I figure. If Rogers was making cash hand over fist on hockey, I'm sure this would have sailed past. I guess that sounds pretty bleak, but there it is. If he'd just said "And you know; people love our milk and honey. At least you could pay a couple of bucks for a poppy or something like that. These guys pay for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada. That these guys paid the biggest price." The poppy thing does seem to be going away, mainly because the people who were there are either gone are will be very shortly so... I did see some bits on the news with them taking little schoolkids to cemeteries and placing poppies on the tombstones and writing the names down. Given some of the fucking shitheels in government these days and such, it's more important than ever to remember why both those wars were fought.

Nosf on
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I just can't figure out how this was over the line vs anything else has has done in the past 20 years, if anything this seems way milder.

about time though

Seems like it enough to finally get a bunch of people to actually complain about him all at once. It was also probably a more explicit rant than he usually gives and just didn’t leave enough room to interpret it away like would have normally happened. It was much more “us vs them” than most decent people could tolerate

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    It is baffling that Don Cherry managed to keep his job as long as he did. Good riddance, don't let the door hit you on the way out

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Ah, don't get me wrong, Cherry is guilty of a lot of shit, but he's done a lot of good with his name and influence. It isn't all harping on those pinko Europeans and their damnable half visors.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Ah, don't get me wrong, Cherry is guilty of a lot of shit, but he's done a lot of good with his name and influence.

Such as....? Denying climate change? Opposing safety equipment for players and saying injury lawsuits were a cash grab? Supporting Rob Ford and the Iraq war? Normalizing misogyny, Québec-bashing, and anti-Europe sentiment?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Cherry has history of donating money and working for charity, organ donation, that pet foundation and a pediatric hospice that used to bear his wife's name. If you just want to paint him with one shitty brush, knock yourself out. He had this coming probably for a while, but the guy isn't some super villain.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Cherry has history of donating money and working for charity, organ donation, that pet foundation and a pediatric hospice that used to bear his wife's name.

Interesting; I wasn't aware those were a get-out-of-consequences-free card for decades of open bigotry.

Do you know offhand how much I'd need to donate to charity before I get to brush off any dismay from others should I start complaining that foreigners exist and safety equipment turns Men(tm) into little girls?

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Don Cherry should have taken up tap dancing, considering he’s spent so many years dancing on the dog whistle line.

The fact that this hadn’t happened sooner is the most amazing part of this.

The man’s a relic, a dinosaur who embodies ‘things were good back in my day, so they should stay that way.’

To which I say:

OK Boomer.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Oh snap, they found a pair and fired Cherry.

"Sports brings people together - it unites us, not divides us. Following further discussions with Don Cherry after Saturday night's broadcast, it has been decided it is the right time for him to immediately step down," Sportsnet president Bart Yabsley said in a statement. "During the broadcast, he made divisive remarks that do not represent our values or what we stand for.

"Don is synonymous with hockey and has played an integral role in growing the game over the past 40 years. We would like to thank Don for his contributions to hockey and sports broadcasting in Canada."

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1877544/

I believe this song is in order:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoyvvEWHodk

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Don Cherry should have taken up tap dancing, considering he’s spent so many years dancing on the dog whistle line.

The man’s a relic, a dinosaur who embodies ‘things were good back in my day, so they should stay that way.’

To which I say:

OK Boomer.

Cherry never used dog whistle, he was openly and clearly racist and prejudiced. It's just he was targeting groups English-Canada did not like much.
    Let's not pretend CBC did not employ someone to insult most of the country for decades.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

To which I say:

OK Boomer.

Cherry never used dog whistle, he was openly and clearly racist and prejudiced. It's just he was targeting groups English-Canada did not like much.
    Let's not pretend CBC did not employ someone to insult most of the country for decades.

Yeah, you're right. He was and is blatantly racist, I suppose the dogwhistle term was incorrect. But he always managed to couch it terms that while offensive, enough people agreed with that it would be a bloodbath if he was fired. Like right now.

Also, he's using the troops as a shield for his racism. If he had said "Those people don't respect our ways" you'd get more support for his ouster, but since he's using the whole 'Respect Tha' Troops' thing, to go against him makes you look like you don't support veterans. This feels extra slimy, like people accusing Kaepernick of being disrespectful of the troops/flag for kneeling, when all they wanted to say is "Why do we have to be reminded about police brutality against minorities?"

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Okay, so now I've seen that rant, and Cherry is crazy. I live and work downtown, I see people with poppies all the damned time. I was at a Remembrance Day ceremony for over an hour, with hundreds of people standing solemnly in the abrupt cold and snow we're enjoying. After all was said and done, it was suggested that if we wished to, we could leave our poppies on the wreaths and cenotaph out front of old city hall.

znjqetizg6mt.jpg
    dc5u0c4w5ypa.jpg
    ep6knp143gyl.jpg

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    His rant was never about whether or not people were actually "respecting the troops" enough, as though that is something you could quantify and measure in any meaningful way. It was never about counting exactly how many poppies are out and about during the first week of November. Every 5 year old in this country knows about poppies and what they signify and what it means to use them as as symbol. No one is disrespecting the troops by not wearing a poppy. It doesn't matter how many poppies were sold or how much money gets brought in for the troops.

His rant was about how he walks around Toronto and doesn't see enough people that he feels should be Canadian. It was about othering people that he thinks are beneath him. The exact medium that is used to do that is irrelevant. Other people will use something else next week and then a new thing the week after. His rant was about making people that he feels are unworthy feel unwelcome in their home. His rant is most certainly un-Canadian and his platform to speak to the whole of Canada once a week should have been taken from him years ago.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Okay, so now I've seen that rant, and Cherry is crazy. I live and work downtown, I see people with poppies all the damned time. I was at a Remembrance Day ceremony for over an hour, with hundreds of people standing solemnly in the abrupt cold and snow we're enjoying. After all was said and done, it was suggested that if we wished to, we could leave our poppies on the wreaths and cenotaph out front of old city hall.

znjqetizg6mt.jpg
    dc5u0c4w5ypa.jpg
    ep6knp143gyl.jpg

If you truly supported Veterans you'd vote for the political party that creates more of them.

• Options
    Cherry has history of donating money and working for charity, organ donation, that pet foundation and a pediatric hospice that used to bear his wife's name.

Interesting; I wasn't aware those were a get-out-of-consequences-free card for decades of open bigotry.

Do you know offhand how much I'd need to donate to charity before I get to brush off any dismay from others should I start complaining that foreigners exist and safety equipment turns Men(tm) into little girls?

Oh don't be disingenous, it obviously doesn't excuse him but being shitty and getting fired was deserved but clearly there's more to to the guy than just that.

"Hey remember John A MacDonald and Wilfred Laurier who were racist and DID NOTHING ELSE EVER?"

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    And apparently somebody vandalized the cenotaph.
    https://toronto.citynews.ca/2019/11/12/old-city-hall-cenotaph-vandalized-overnight/
    oldcityhallcenotaphnovember12.jpg

"Ye broke faith with us"

Sounds like an angry vet, or an ansgty teenager.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Good turnout in London @ the Cenotaph, bit frosty.

v4st32u9l0na.jpg

zdfp415ivtbk.jpg

Nosf on
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Oh don't be disingenous, it obviously doesn't excuse him but being shitty and getting fired was deserved but clearly there's more to to the guy than just that.

"Hey remember John A MacDonald and Wilfred Laurier who were racist and DID NOTHING ELSE EVER?"

My point wasn't that there isn't more to the guy than that.

My point is after someone maintains a certain level of shittiness over a certain number of decades I no longer give a damn what else there is, because occasional charitable acts are not a shield.

I'm not that interested in entertaining a lot of patience with anyone sneering at me for disdaining someone who the public should have jettisoned a generation ago.

Fuck him.

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Shakespeare said it best in Anthony's speech in Julius Caesar:
    The evil that men do lives after them,
    The good is oft interred with their bones,

Cherry's contributions to charity do not erase the harm that his open, virulent bigotry did, and to argue that his victims should be taking his charity into account is not only disingenuous in of itself, but is something very offensive to ask of them.

Sometimes, when someone does enough harm - it erases everything else.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Ah, don't get me wrong, Cherry is guilty of a lot of shit, but he's done a lot of good with his name and influence.

Such as....? Denying climate change? Opposing safety equipment for players and saying injury lawsuits were a cash grab? Supporting Rob Ford and the Iraq war? Normalizing misogyny, Québec-bashing, and anti-Europe sentiment?
    Cherry has history of donating money and working for charity, organ donation, that pet foundation and a pediatric hospice that used to bear his wife's name. If you just want to paint him with one shitty brush, knock yourself out. He had this coming probably for a while, but the guy isn't some super villain.

These are the posts that started this, and in no way is anyone trying to downplay Cherry for his bigotry or say he shouldn’t be punished.

You can leave the strawman arguments and purity testing at the door thank you.
    Trying to pretend that everyone is either good or bad and ignore everything else is incredibly naive.

People are complicated, good deeds do not erase bad deeds, nor do bad deeds erase good. Punish people for the bad deeds and thank them for the good.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

These are the posts that started this, and in no way is anyone trying to downplay Cherry for his bigotry or say he shouldn’t be punished.

You can leave the strawman arguments and purity testing at the door thank you.
    Trying to pretend that everyone is either good or bad and ignore everything else is incredibly naive.

People are complicated, good deeds do not erase bad deeds, nor do bad deeds erase good. Punish people for the bad deeds and thank them for the good.

We've seen this dance before, because it happens all the fucking time. Goose finally (usually after years/decades of harmful abuse) gets a taste of actually having consequences for their conduct, and like clockwork, there's always someone who points out all the "good" that said goose does, as if it makes their abuse somehow justified.

After seeing it happen over and over, you'll pardon us if we're not exactly charitable with the first play from the How To Refurbish A Reputation Playbook. It's not about "pretending that everyone is good or bad", it's about calling out a threadbare attempt to diminish the impact of abuse as what it is.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    That poor poor strawman.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I think the discussion of good deeds vs bad deeds and their weighting is beyond the bounds of Canadian politics.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular

Cherry has been a xenophobe literally his entire career. He's always trashed swedes, Russians, etc. Who gives a shit if he donated to charity? He has always been a regressive who promoted division and mocking people based on their ethnicity.

I mean, the legion even distanced himself from his statements.

So yeah, awful people can do some good things. It doesn't mean they weren't awful, it doesn't excuse what they did, and it doesn't "balance out"

:so_raven:
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    So yeah, awful people can do some good things. It doesn't mean they weren't awful, it doesn't excuse what they did, and it doesn't "balance out"
    Nobody said this. You can all stop trying to prove a point that nobody here disagrees with. :|