As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trailers: A Brief History

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Storm of Swords hit like #11 on the NYT Bestseller list. A Feast for Crows sold like millions of copies. A Dance with Dragons sold a ton too. All of this before the show dropped. Just cause you couldn't find it in a store doesn't mean anything.

Not to mention getting nominated for awards.

shryke on
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Ok first, those aren't great figures compared to actually well known books. Quick Google tells me the latest Malazan book came in at #12 on NYT bestseller list and the series has "over 10 million copies sold" which puts them at a million each. No mainstream person has even heard of these books.

Meanwhile just randomly looking at the current #1 NYT best seller, oh a Jack Reacher book, according to his publisher there are over 100 million of these sold, and "It is said one of his novels featuring his hero Jack Reacher is sold somewhere in the world every nine seconds." I'm sure other random big time guys like John Grisham and Steven King have even more ridiculous numbers.

Second, I still don't understand what you're trying to argue, that George R. R. Martin deserves credit for the adaptation of his excellent novels but Andrzej Sapkowski does not deserve credit for the adaptation of his excellent novels because...?

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    He deserves credit for writing the novels and creating the world that CDPR used but he's not a victim for being a bad negotiator.
    The point is that to claim the books are the reason the games are so popular is wrong. They're popular because they're good games and the book series is now even more popular than it was because of said games.

I'm glad he's getting a better deal out of it now though.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Sounds more like greed than stupidity. Give me all my money now, now that money is not enough give me more.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    He deserves credit for writing the novels and creating the world that CDPR used but he's not a victim for being a bad negotiator.
    The point is that to claim the books are the reason the games are so popular is wrong. They're popular because they're good games and the book series is now even more popular than it was because of said games.

I dunno, if a game sells better than expected we've kind of been in agreement that the developers, writers, and everyone else behind the scenes should share in the success, right? I don't see why Sapkowski should be any different.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I dunno, if a game sells better than expected we've kind of been in agreement that the developers, writers, and everyone else behind the scenes should share in the success, right? I don't see why Sapkowski should be any different.

That’s all based on royalties and other success based contract clauses though.

If someone straight up says ‘screw the royalties, this is going to fail, gimme all my money now’, then it’s not uncommon for them to simply not get further money.

It’s nice that CDPR gave him a settlement deal, but it feels it was more likely about limiting bad press than thinking he deserved it, otherwise they’d have sought him out rather than wait to be taken to court.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I mean, yeah, that's what royalties are. And when you say "No" to the royalties...

If the game had failed even more spectacularly than Sapkowski thought it would, would the devs be asking him for some of the money back? No, because that's not what was agreed upon.

Every thing that I've read says that royalties were offered during the negotiation, and the guy said "No, just give me a pile of money". He got his pile of money. That should be the end of the story.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah like he rolled the dice and made a bad decision in hindsight but that doesn't change his original deal.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I love Scooby-Doo, I really do (ooby-do) but I'm pretty sure 99% of all Scooby stuff is just awful.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    What the fuck, they made Fantasy Island a horror movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6O30nJ02PU

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    I saw the Fantasy Island trailer in theater when I saw Doctor Sleep (which was good) and I said to my friend, "Oh, Blumhouse isn't making a horror movie?" and then it turned out to be a horror trailer.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    What the fuck, they made Fantasy Island a horror movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6O30nJ02PU

Yeah that looks like trash.

I liked the Malcom McDowel reboot where it was kind of like a Mr. Destiny thing where you'd see what you fantasized about was kind of shitty and it would help you grow as a person. Plus Malcolm McDowel.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    No Tattoo no can do.

Scoob! just looks middling, and Scooby was talking way too much. I was kinda hoping it would be the same writers and directors from Warner Animation who did the fantastic Storks but nah, not that lucky.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    No Tattoo no can do.

Scoob! just looks middling, and Scooby was talking way too much. I was kinda hoping it would be the same writers and directors from Warner Animation who did the fantastic Storks but nah, not that lucky.

looks like more straight to video level kids swill

Like the new Adams Family

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Sonic still looks bad, IMO.

A vast improvement! They brought it up to bad.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I agree that it still looks bad, but at least I can go see it knowing that it will just be bad and not throw up in my mouth awful to look at.

The before and after is an astounding improvement, and the VFX artists should be applauded for their work.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Why did i never noticd old sonic having terrible human nostrils too

• Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Guys ASOIAF could be a "giant" in the fantasy world and still be completely obscure. I heard about the series when I was in high school, at least three books had been out by then, and I couldn't find the books in a Barnes and Noble. They had to place an order for the books for me.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen is also a giant in the fantasy world, but go ask some random people if they've ever heard of it. If they make a successful TV show or video game about them, do you think that would change?

Lastly this guy again sold the rights back in the early 2000s and I'm not going to fault him for not having amazing foresight of 20 years of new media. By his own admission, he feels stupid.
    “I was stupid enough to sell them rights to the whole bunch,” Sapkowski told Eurogamer in an interview. “They offered me a percentage of their profits. I said, ‘No, there will be no profit at all – give me all my money right now! The whole amount.’ It was stupid. I was stupid enough to leave everything in their hands because I didn’t believe in their success. But who could foresee their success? I couldn’t.”

I deal with this shit at work all the time. People who don't want to sign a contract and give away rights or restrict future actions because they don't know what the future can bring. Great, you aren't getting paid now if you don't.

Its a ridiculous argument and, frankly, CD Projekt probably just cut him on more royalties to get him to go along with promotion, etc, but had no legal obligation to do so (though to be fair, I have no idea what the status of IP licensing in Poland looks like).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Why did i never noticd old sonic having terrible human nostrils too

Because there was so much awful to look at your eyes couldn't focus on any one thing.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Guys ASOIAF could be a "giant" in the fantasy world and still be completely obscure. I heard about the series when I was in high school, at least three books had been out by then, and I couldn't find the books in a Barnes and Noble. They had to place an order for the books for me.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen is also a giant in the fantasy world, but go ask some random people if they've ever heard of it. If they make a successful TV show or video game about them, do you think that would change?

Lastly this guy again sold the rights back in the early 2000s and I'm not going to fault him for not having amazing foresight of 20 years of new media. By his own admission, he feels stupid.
    “I was stupid enough to sell them rights to the whole bunch,” Sapkowski told Eurogamer in an interview. “They offered me a percentage of their profits. I said, ‘No, there will be no profit at all – give me all my money right now! The whole amount.’ It was stupid. I was stupid enough to leave everything in their hands because I didn’t believe in their success. But who could foresee their success? I couldn’t.”

I deal with this shit at work all the time. People who don't want to sign a contract and give away rights or restrict future actions because they don't know what the future can bring. Great, you aren't getting paid now if you don't.

Its a ridiculous argument and, frankly, CD Projekt probably just cut him on more royalties to get him to go along with promotion, etc, but had no legal obligation to do so (though to be fair, I have no idea what the status of IP licensing in Poland looks like).

The books are good, but Sapkowski is doing that thing where a writer addresses their nation's cultural issues through fantasy instead of straight-up tackling the subject. He wants to be a serious author addressing anti-Semitism, racism, the Polish involvement in the Holocaust, anti-homosexual bigotry, and other social problems plaguing modern Poland, but he soft-pedals the message for the local audience by wrapping it in a fantasy setting.

That's why the worldwide success of a video game that takes the world seriously on its merits upsets him so much, beyond the money and inherent dislike of the medium. He doesn't want to be known as a genre writer creating fantasy settings, but a a serious writer speaking to Poland through metaphor.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

The point of the fucking color is that you can't describe it because it doesn't exist to us and comes from the unknown depths of space. Not being able to properly visualize it was the entire idea!

• Options
    The Neon Purple Out of Space doesn't quite have the same ring to it

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Sonic looks good, the plot still seems awful.

They should have locked the screenwriter in a room with hours of the animated series and had him go for that tone, go full wacky insanity.

Not SatAM, the good stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J9n45blW3o

Where's my Scratch and Grounder? Why no wacky idiotic robot companions? Whhhhyyyy?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I mean if sonic is awful then it's still staying truthful to the source material.

#gottem

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Well, there's Monster Trucks awful, then there's Mario Brothers Super Show awful.

Go for the latter.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I think the redesign actually probably cost them money. Before people would have seen it out of a morbid curiosity, now they've taken that away. By improving they hurt their appeal.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    The Neon Purple Out of Space doesn't quite have the same ring to it

“It was octarine, the colour of magic. It was alive and glowing and vibrant and it was the undisputed pigment of the imagination, because wherever it appeared it was a sign that mere matter was a servant of the powers of the magical mind. It was enchantment itself.
    But Rincewind always thought it looked a sort of greenish-purple.”

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Sonic looks fun and now Sonic looks much better.

I'm in just to see 90's Jim Carey play Eggman.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Do a limited release of creepy Sonic you cowards.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Sonic looks much better. I feel like with how much they leaned on his dialog, I'd put money they redid it to sound more like Reynolds's detective pikachu, the comedy is pretty much the exact same. It's a kids movie plot that is entirely chase driven and writes itself.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Sanic looks better, does feel more Detective Pikachu, and maybe feels like they added a lot more kid stuff where it's just B-team shots and newSanic added to smooth out whatever they just couldn't keep with the fugly design.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    If they got it done this fast, they already had this version mostly done, or sone VFX artists killed themselves with overwork.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »

The point of the fucking color is that you can't describe it because it doesn't exist to us and comes from the unknown depths of space. Not being able to properly visualize it was the entire idea!

Colors are weirder than people think. We don't have cones in our eyes that pick up yellow, but when red and green cones are equally stimulated, our brains say "Yellow, partner". But we don't know what the yellow part of the visible spectrum of light actually "looks like" physically and accurately, because we don't have the receptors and even if we did maybe our brains would process the input into a different perception. It is a whole epistemological ballyhoo. Magenta is not in the visible spectrum of light. Technically, the average wavelength of violet and red is green, but the discrepancies in wavelength is interpreted as magenta because of course it wouldn't be good for us in an evolutionary sense to see green where there is not green.

• Options
    Yeah making the color out of space magenta for the movie isn't that bad of an idea, since it's not "real" in the traditional sense. It's just the brain connecting the two ends of the visible spectrum, resulting in the color wheel.

I had always thought making a black and white movie, with the alien color being represented in something like magenta, would have been the way to go. In my mind while reading the story it always came to me as an imaginary green-orange.

Anyway the movie looks a bit like a clusterfuck, but it could be a good clusterfuck.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    If they got it done this fast, they already had this version mostly done, or sone VFX artists killed themselves with overwork.

even when the effects are done on time it's still safe to assume that some VFX artists were forced to kill themselves with overwork.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Yeah making the color out of space magenta for the movie isn't that bad of an idea, since it's not "real" in the traditional sense. It's just the brain connecting the two ends of the visible spectrum, resulting in the color wheel.

I had always thought making a black and white movie, with the alien color being represented in something like magenta, would have been the way to go. In my mind while reading the story it always came to me as an imaginary green-orange.

Anyway the movie looks a bit like a clusterfuck, but it could be a good clusterfuck.

There's already a Color Out of Space adaptation where everything is Black and White except for the "color".

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »

There's already a Color Out of Space adaptation where everything is Black and White except for the "color".

I looked up the story on Wikipedia quick to see if I could find which adaptation this was and if it was any good, and it turns out there are like a half-dozen different adaptations of this story under different names made throughout the years, which astonishes me. There's even one from the late 80s starring a young Wil Wheaton.

This discussion has been closed.