As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DAOC] Endless Conquest is Live

123457»

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    It was a while ago when WoW Legion's launch dropped the population down to barely nothing.

They panicked hardcore and redid the whole game, abilities, gameplay, and all. I'm still angered by what they did to revamp it myself.

They repealed a lot of the changes I hated with the latest patch that launches with endless conquest, and I'm hoping the population goes up so the game is playable again.

If it were me I would've fixed the "interrupts casting" and downtime mechanics a bit... maybe they did... I haven't given this game a chance in 3 years.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Yeah, thematically I have no idea what they were doing.

Conceptually I kind of get the redesign -- becoming an immortal shade who lives through your pet always made necromancers really hard to balance in PvE or RvR. They switched it to you essentially transforming into the pet, with a pet of your own depending on spec.

But I have no idea why they didn't just reuse existing pet/undead models....they swapped out most of them for like, spirit scorpions and other completely dumb stuff. Why would you make a necromancer go from summoning sweet wights and ghouls to random demons and scorpions?

I was patient with the redesign but thematically it's a total stupid mess. Then I went back and saw how much they homogenized classes aaaaand yeah it's kind of a tough sell.

Given the previously alluded to alternative to the current version of DAoC, an alternative that has a weirdly thriving and vibrant playerbase, it's hard for me to see Endless Conquest actually reviving the game. If anyone wants to reminisce about said classic experience shoot me a message on steam or discord! I'm Fiatil all around.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yes, it's weird that from the ashes there exists another game that more closely mimics the original game... that is somehow better and more fun than what they're doing. Not even a rose colored glasses thing for me it's just everything feels worse with their ageing engine.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I was able to log on with several of my characters, but I don't think I'm going to be playing the game like that personally.

I could still play some of my max level characters to my surprise, but I don't think it's enough to pull me away from the game I'm playing right now.

For anyone who doesn't mind making a character and playing to max level, this might be for you. In the mean time, players who enjoy camping battlegrounds or want to play all of their characters, endless conquest isn't for you.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Found a few hours to try and play f2p. Feels just like normal daoc, only you don't really have to pay for leveling it to the part you want to stop on.

Might resub later to play the character on non f2p.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    I mentioned this in the holiday forum, but hey figured I would post it here:

There's a new classic-era DAoC private server that launched about 3 weeks ago. Peak players are about 3k a day -- it's vibrant and fun! It's nice to have that old MMO feeling where you can actually talk to people in game and make friends and such without everyone being in a private discord. There are 5-6 public raids every day and grouping up is easy -- getting geared up for RvR isn't bad at all. The server is a hybrid of classic rules with some slightly more modern stuff -- it has champion levels and ToA races and bonuses, but no MLs or artifacts. It also has a snazzy town portal system.

I'm playing with a couple of other PA folks on Hibernia, and we just created our guild last night. We have a couple 50s but lots of alts and will be recruiting good spirited pubbies to join us this week.

If anyone feels like joining the grind and having some fun, hit me up! PM me here, orr my discord name is Fiatil #7201.

If you're sad we're playing Hibernia, sorry look at my avatar. Hibernia for life.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    I'd played a Mid Warrior up to mid 40s on phoenix when it launched and really enjoyed that but was reminded that I'm old and don't have time to invest into games like I did back in the day. I still really enjoy the DAOC gameplay.

• Options
    Heh yeah I definitely get that.

As cool as it would be, I'm not expecting to get 8 people fully geared for 8 man RvR or anything hardcore like that. It would be nice! But luckily there's a lot of casual content too, and the guild is definitely on that side of the spectrum. All of the gear progression is pretty much done through joining giant pubbie raids, and you can largely faceroll through that with any spec. And on the RvR side, Hibernia has an amazing battlegroup/zerg leader and the alternates are solid as well. That's stuff you can do with terrible gear and terrible specs and still get some RvR action in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    I was all ready to install...but it's New Frontiers. :(

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I was all ready to install...but it's New Frontiers. :(

Yeah the private servers have largely gravitated towards NF.

Every time one of them does OF, it lasts two months before stagnating and then the community votes in NF or the server dies. It happened with Phoenix and Celestius, aaand this one just went straight to NF as a result.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The server's holiday event lets the teleporters transform you into a random mob type. My buddy rolled panther last night, and we were delighted to find that their animations make them ride horses like humanoids:

mh6tq5k7zxc8.jpg

steam_sig.png