As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Knuckles (& Sonic) Thread About Not Making Jokes, But Making Warriors.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I never said anything on it one way or another, if anything you should be justifying to me why it's "very bad" and "negative quality", as being one of the most immediate detractors.

Yes the adventure story is very much aspiring to be Archie-Sonic-without-Sonic, I'm saying is this should not really be a surprise given the pretty unsubtle story of the first game. But also if it's anything like the first game they will likely have a classic mode which is a more Genesis-oriented minimalist story without the minutes of cutscenes, so it's not something you will really have to go through if you don't want to.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I didn't say a thing about "bad furry fanfiction", which is what I'm calling out.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I didn't say bad.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Freedom Planet started as a Sonic fangame.

https://sonicretro.org/2014/07/15/retro-interviews-the-freedom-planet-invades-florida-supercon-edition/
    G: Always good. I want to talk a little bit about Lilac here. I do remember she showed up in Sonic: After the Sequel as a little bit of an Easter egg. I remember around the time that came out, most of us were like, “Oh… is that okay to have in there? Is he going to be upset?”, because at the time, you wanted to distance yourself from the Sonic side so it wasn’t too obvious.

S: At that point, when I first started, Lilac wasn’t a dragon, she was a hedgehog. As I said before, I just wanted this to be like a small fangame project of sorts. But when the game expanded way beyond that and it was going to be a commercial indie game, obviously, I changed her to a dragon but that worked out better. I upgraded her design. Sonic: After the Sequel used the hedgehog design. I thought it was okay, but I was a little bit concerned because I got help making Lilac from a Chinese artist, Ziyo Ling, and I need to ask her for permission on certain things. I was a little bit worried about that, but she didn’t mind. So it all worked out in the end; I was just a little bit nervous at first. But I think it’s really cool that Lake added Lilac in Sonic: After the Sequel as an Easter egg.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I like the cutscenes. Reminds me of the cartoons that would come on Sunday mornings when I was a kid.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    Thaaaaaaaaaaaaat's more like it.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I get people are mad that fans got this changed because it might overwork the staff but also hopefully in the future this shit can be avoided thanks to this movie.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • YanShaYanSha USARegistered User new member
    I used to be a big fan of Sonic :)

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Puppy!

steam_sig.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    That Sonic looks way better but the movie still looks terrible

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    That Sonic looks way better but the movie still looks terrible

The best of both worlds, depending on who you ask.

Talk about a glow up

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    I mean, it's still going to be a terrible movie but at least the character is little more recognizable as Sonic and not "CGI Abomination"

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, this new design works great but everything else is just annoying.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Holy shit.

Normally Hollywood studios would consider it an unthinkable move to go to someone who is "just" a TV and video game animator, but this group actually swallowed their pride and did it. And it worked out fantastically.

Not to mention Tyson now has killer item to put on his resume. If there's any justice in the world, his career will get juiced STAT.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Holy shit.

Normally Hollywood studios would consider it an unthinkable move to go to someone who is "just" a TV and video game animator, but this group actually swallowed their pride and did it. And it worked out fantastically.

Not to mention Tyson now has killer item to put on his resume. If there's any justice in the world, his career will get juiced STAT.

I don't want Tyson to go on to bigger and better things, I just want Sega to pull their heads out their asses and make a decent Sonic game with him as art director.

That's two impossible hurdles to clear at once but, a man can dream.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Jim Carrey as Himself as Dr. Robotnik is still a major miscast, but otherwise the movie looks a lot better than it was.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    edited November 2019
    Wait a second.

Didn't Hesse tweet out that very image in response to the first trailer blowback, just as his own interpretation of "realistic" Sonic?

And then they basically just used that as the basis for the redesign?

Its almost like he auditioned for the role on fucking twitter.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Twitter has gotten a lot of people jobs

Like our president

Local H Jay on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I love how the new Sonic has a tuft of white fur above his nose to give him the cyclops eyes effect.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I imagine at least someone here might be interested to read this: I Read Every Sonic Comic By Ken Penders and They're Wilder Than You Could Ever Imagine

Here's an excerpt:
    Knuckles #13 opens with Harry the dingo cab driver (the one dingo character who isn’t a Nazi) discovering Charmy Bee in an alley, with another bee we’ve never met before collapsed in his arms. Harry rushes Charmy and his apparent best friend Mello to the hospital. The doctors try their best, but they have to break the bad news to Charmy. Mello is dead.

How did Charmy’s best friend die? Oh, by accidentally eating a drug-laced chili dog and overdosing on LSD!

See, the shady owner of the local carnival is secretly working with a drug lord. He’s lacing his carnival food with this substance called “Lemon Sundrop Dandelion” (very subtle, Ken) in an effort to get the locals hooked on it. And now kids are getting poisoned left and right, including Charmy’s friend. The Chaotix investigate, but they get hungry and idiotically decide to eat the carnival food, and well…

Then they get dragged to the hospital because they’re fucking tripping balls on acid. Shenanigans ensue.

Yes, this happened in an officially licensed Sonic the Hedgehog comic.

Hexmage-PA on
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    I just noticed a nice reference in the trailer:

ed0.gifz5gg6zuuqcid.gif

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I really cannot stand the theory people keep pushing that they had this new design the whole time, and the original abomination was just teased to get the movie publicity.

Its like, yeah, the movie is probably a lot more high profile now than it would have otherwise been, but there is no indication that they had this new design ready "the whole time" and changing it must have been a huge cluster fuck. Even if we buy that they had this Sonic v2 design on standby so they didn't have to pay any designers, animators or artists, they still had to redo a whole bunch of promotional material and merchandise that had abomo-sonic on it that would have to be scrapped.

Giving up the holiday time slot is also pretty insane. This wasn't cheap to do, but I imagine the Manhog showing up on late night was enough to convince some suits.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I really cannot stand the theory people keep pushing that they had this new design the whole time, and the original abomination was just teased to get the movie publicity.

Its like, yeah, the movie is probably a lot more high profile now than it would have otherwise been, but there is no indication that they had this new design ready "the whole time" and changing it must have been a huge cluster fuck. Even if we buy that they had this Sonic v2 design on standby so they didn't have to pay any designers, animators or artists, they still had to redo a whole bunch of promotional material and merchandise that had abomo-sonic on it that would have to be scrapped.

I think it speaks to how rare it is that a major corporation is willing listen to consumer feedback and fix something without lawsuits/boycotts/stubbornly refusing to admit anything's wrong for multiple years.

steam_sig.png
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Wait a second.

Didn't Hesse tweet out that very image in response to the first trailer blowback, just as his own interpretation of "realistic" Sonic?

And then they basically just used that as the basis for the redesign?

Its almost like he auditioned for the role on fucking twitter.

Close! That was of the Lanky Nightmare Human Sonic, which he somehow made look pretty good.

Compare the hands, shoes, pupils, gap between the eyes, ears, lower spikes... The longer I look at this, the more weird subtle details I start noticing about what makes Sonic look "right."

Before:
    After:

Frem on
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Honestly I just watched the old and new trailers back to back and still don't think the old design was that bad outside of the garage scene.

Hexmage-PA on
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Honestly I just watched the old and new trailers back to back and still don't think the old design was that bad outside of the garage scene.

You don't love Sonic enough to the mines!

edited November 2019
    I'm wondering that a bunch Sonic's activities in those trailer scenes are completely new to the redesign. They really upped the slapstick quality in a way that would seem odd with the original, more realistic design. Like when he's in 10 places at once in the hotel, pretending to be multiple baseball players, or returning from a tourist trap full of knick knacks. I mean the actor didn't even have a verbal response to that last one. It's just pure cartoon nonsense that we saw zero of in the first trailer, that basically presented him 1) as a cat out of water, 2) as some slick action hero.

rahkeesh2000 on
    Tyson said he got them to add some of the iconic animations as easter eggs but I assume they didnt add anything new that would require more extensive reshoots than they had to do already

I'm annoyed they didnt do a Stefan joke

edited November 2019
    Was about to post about that. Some wild stuff in there.

Note that Sonic looks more like his 2/CD self here.

I wish that article had a list of differences for ease of use. Edit: Oh, here we are.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    This Sonic 3 prototype has Genesis tunes that became midis in the PC version for Carnival Night, Icecap, Launch Base, and Knuckle's/miniboss themes, . I.E. replacements for the very obviously Micheal Jackson-related tunes that used heavy sampling in the final MD release. In other words, this shows that these "PC tracks" were probably originals from Jun before MJ's crew got involved.

https://youtu.be/_bp_c73awuQ

In case you were wondering, Sonic's movie redesign managed to only cost $5 million. It helped that the only finished shots of bad Sonic were the ones in the trailer.