As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NBA] Thread: Dame Ascending to Final Form

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    They should have moved Sacramento to Seattle a few years ago

I'm banking either the Pelicans, or Grizzlies will be the new Supersonics In 2021/22.

I doubt the Pelicans will relocate without being sold as they are currently under the Saints ownership group.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'd rather it be the Grizzlies. I enjoy the ridiculousness of The Pelicans

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    If it's the pelicans, you lost a durant but gained a Zion (assuming his knees don't crumble to dust)

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    joel is up and down on offense sometimes but his defense

god damn

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    sixers choked away a game up 21 points in the 4th quarter.

completely, utterly trash.

but please, tell me more about how the sixers are actually amazing and i'm just overreacting when they barely score 10 points in the 4th quarter.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Dame drops 60 but they lose to Nets by 4. Blazers are a mess, lost 4 in a row and 3-6 overall.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Dame drops 60 but they lose to Nets by 4. Blazers are a mess, lost 4 in a row and 3-6 overall.

Yeah, such a damn bummer.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    .....Andrew Wiggins redemption tour

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

Damn that bald fan came from nowhere and damn that dude has some hops

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    dang, Siakam tied his career high with 44 against the Pelicans, but Lowry went out with a fractured thumb and Ibaka with a badly sprained ankle

• Options

Fuck that. I love Memphis and I like the Grizzlies in Memphis. Move the Magic. They haven't been relevant most of the last 25 years and would anyone in Orlando actually miss them?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    It has to be Memphis because they’re on the wrong side of the Mississippi and they have like a dozen legacy fans from BC to welcome them back to the PNW (is it the PSW for Canada?)

Durant -> Ja is good too

New Orleans straddles the Mississippi so they get to stay for now

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Butters wrote: »

Fuck that. I love Memphis and I like the Grizzlies in Memphis. Move the Magic. They haven't been relevant most of the last 25 years and would anyone in Orlando actually miss them?

Sure! I'd rather see the Magic moved but that wasn't one of the options up there!!

• Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2019

Sure! I'd rather see the Magic moved but that wasn't one of the options up there!!

Doesn't ESPN'S overlord, Disney, own a percentage of the Orlando Magic? If that's the case, The Magic are staying In that newish arena.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    Saw this in my Seattle Supersonics fan group on Facebook

trudocpv35u9.jpg

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    That made me curious, so I looked up some numbers

Since the 1972-1973 season (Knicks last NBA Championship):

NBA Championships: Knicks 1, Seattle 1
    Playoff Appearances: Knicks 25, Seattle 22
    Finals Appearances: Knicks 3, Seattle 3
    Playoff Wins: Knicks 116, Seattle 107
    Playoff Appearances Without a Win: Knicks 4, Seattle 1
    Longest Playoff Drought: Knicks 6 years (twice), Seattle 3 years (once)

Note that the Knicks second 6 year (and probably moving into its 7th year) playoff drought has happened within the past 11 years, in which the Seattle Supersonics were also unable to reach the playoffs through dint of having ceased existing.

Other stuff I learned!
    The longest active playoff drought is held by the Sacramento Kings, having failed to qualify for 13 seasons in a row, starting with the 2006-2007 season and continuing to this day. However the longest total drought is held by the Los Angeles Clippers at 15 seasons in a row, stretching from the 1976-1977 season before finally ending in the 1991-1992 season. The Clippers would then qualify for the playoffs and be eliminated in the first round 3 times between '91-'92 and '96-'97, then go on another eight season playoff drought before qualifying for the playoffs and advancing all the way to the Western Conference Semifinals in the 2005-2006 season. Another five year drought would await them, before consistent regular season success would allow them to proceed to the playoffs seven out of eight seasons between '11-'12 and '12-'19

Since the team's inception in 1971 as the Buffalo Braves, through the move to San Diego and finally LA, the Clippers/Braves franchise has never made it to the conference finals. Will this be the year?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Also during their current drought, the Kings have had 12 top-ten draft picks, 5 of which were top-five picks (comprised of #2 overall in 2018, #4 overall in 2009, and #5 overall in 2017, 2012, 2010).

Those picks were:

2009 - Tyreke Evans, Rookie of the Year (2010), played for the Kings from 2009-2013. Currently banned from the NBA for violating the NBA's substance abuse policy

2010 - DeMarcus "Boogie" Cousins, 4 time NBA All-Star (2015-2018), played for the Kings from 2010-2017. Currently on the Lakers, with a torn ACL suffered during preseason workouts

2012 - Thomas Robinson, No NBA awards, played for the Kings from 2012-2013, Currently plays in the NBA G League for the Maine Red Claws

2017 - De'Aaron Fox, Was nominated for the 2018-2019 season "Most Improved Player Award" (won by Pascal Siakam), still playing for the Kings 2017-present

2018 - Marvin Bagley , NBA All-Rookie First Team (2019), still playing for the Kings 2018-present

Of the 25 total players drafted by the Kings since their futility streak began, only 3 others have accomplishing anything noteworthy in the NBA

2009 #23 overall pick, Omri Casspi played for the Kings from 2009i-2011. He won an NBA Championship in 2018 with the Golden State Warriors

2010 #33 overall pick, Hassan Whiteside played for Sacramento from 2010-2012. He was the NBA Blocks Leader and All Defensive 2nd Team in 2016. NBA Rebounding Leader in 2017. (Both years with the Miami Heat)

2011 #60, last pick of the draft, Isaiah Thomas, played for the Kings from 2011-2014. He was a two time NBA All-Star in 2016 and 2017 while playing for the Boston Celtics.

Of those 25 draft picks, only 3 are 2019 NBA Starters. Hassan Whiteside for the Trailblazers, Isaiah Thomas for the Wizards and, Willie Cauley-Stein for the Warriors. Of those 25 draft picks, only two are on the 2019 Kings roster - Marvin Bagley and De'Aaron Fox

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Butt Franchises:
    Kings
    Wolves
    Hornets
    Magic

Ass Franchises:
    Knicks
    Bulls
    Suns
    Wizards

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Why are the Celtics good all of a sudden?

• Options
    edited November 2019
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

No Kyrie

Like Kyrie was individually great last season but they were seven piles of Kobe-brained toenail clippings because of the effect he had on the locker room

Alternatively: Stevens has always gotten good results with rosters considered less talented, and last year’s roster was considered “loaded” and he tried to coach the individuals vs the team

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    They had too many guys last year.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    dang, Raptors' bench stepped up last night. Kyle Lowry and Serge Ibaka out hurt, still managed to beat a full Lakers squad in their own house and end LAs winning streak.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

No Kyrie

Like Kyrie was individually great last season but they were seven piles of Kobe-brained toenail clippings because of the effect he had on the locker room

Alternatively: Stevens has always gotten good results with rosters considered less talented, and last year’s roster was considered “loaded” and he tried to coach the individuals vs the team

Kyrie really had a terrible effect on the younger players. He pretty consistently seemed to feel he did his part and threw them under the bus for losses. He simply doesn't have the demeanor to be a leader, no matter how many points he puts up.

Also until his hand injury Hayward was really back to form the last few games.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    The Kings are cursed. They actually got things looking up the last few games, and then in practice yesterday, another player stepped on Fox's ankle so he's out for a few weeks.

In other news, my wife won tickets so we'll be at tonight's game.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Celtics got Kemba Walker he's probably enjoying not being in Charlotte immensely

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Celtics got Kemba Walker he's probably enjoying not being in Charlotte immensely

Charlotte is a butt franchise, yep

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    The Kings are cursed. They actually got things looking up the last few games, and then in practice yesterday, another player stepped on Fox's ankle so he's out for a few weeks.

The Kings should move to Seattle and give their name to Memphis because Memphis should be the Kings.

• Options

The Kings should move to Seattle and give their name to Memphis because Memphis should be the Kings.

Until San Diego and St. Louis had their NFL teams taken away, Sacramento was the most under-served metro area in the country for major league sports. Don't take the only one we have (at least until MLS starts playing).

• Options
    But you guys can go to the Bay Area just like Chargers fans get up to Metro LA

• Options

That's kinda like saying Washington doesn't need teams because Baltimore is that close.

Largest metro area with no team: Austin (35th), Virginia Beach (37)
    Largest metro areas with 1 team: San Diego (18), San Antonio (26), Sacramento (29), Vegas (31).

Sacramento and Vegas are both about to get a second, but removing the only game in town to give it to a city which already has 3 is kinda a dick move.

For those curious, St. Louis is the largest with only 2 (21st, but they're about to get a third), Seattle's the largest with only 3, Houston is the largest with only 4.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

After 9 games with his new team, Kemba is already on the longest winning streak of his professional career (8 games). He played eight years in Charlotte.

• Options

That's kinda like saying Washington doesn't need teams because Baltimore is that close.

Largest metro area with no team: Austin (35th), Virginia Beach (37)
    Largest metro areas with 1 team: San Diego (18), San Antonio (26), Sacramento (29), Vegas (31).

Sacramento and Vegas are both about to get a second, but removing the only game in town to give it to a city which already has 3 is kinda a dick move.

For those curious, St. Louis is the largest with only 2 (21st, but they're about to get a third), Seattle's the largest with only 3, Houston is the largest with only 4.

Yeah I was dunking on Spanos

• Options
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Last time I was at a Blazers game I sat so high up almost needed a sherpa guide to get me there.

• Options

Until San Diego and St. Louis had their NFL teams taken away, Sacramento was the most under-served metro area in the country for major league sports. Don't take the only one we have (at least until MLS starts playing).

I know, I know. I just want the home city of B.B. and Elvis to have the Kings.

This discussion has been closed.