As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars Thread] Solid... I’m going to say analysis?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    My most pressing question about the first episode of The Mandalorian
    Was the speeder driver on the ice world Brian Posehn? It definitely looked/sounded like him

• Options
    sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    My most pressing question about the first episode of The Mandalorian
    Was the speeder driver on the ice world Brian Posehn? It definitely looked/sounded like him

I checked the credits. It was.

When I was driving once I saw this painted on a bridge:
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half"
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Seems Lucas is to blame for the Disney+ edit:

New: Disney confirmed to The Verge just now this change "made by George Lucas made prior to the Disney acquisition."

Why did they keep it though? Like, they own it, just change it back to the proper original and be done with it.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    They likely just went with 'newest' version since it's easier.

I still think they'll do a theatrical cut release at some point, though, when they do a giant 'skywalker saga' box set a year from now.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    I really like how every so often this thread goes on a tear and makes up a half-dozen possible arcs for the PT that beat what we got handily without even breaking a sweat. Lots of good times exploring those ideas in the infinite theater of my mind, thanks everyone!
    Also, a thought that occurred to me during morning coffee time: it has already been discussed how the events of Rogue One retroactively make Leia’s lines at the start of ANH into even more of a display of bravado than without knowing them, but what about the captain of the blockade runner?
    As this seven foot tall rage wizard is crushing the life out of his neck - a seven foot tall rage wizard that the captain knows literally just watched him flee a pitched battle over Scarif, he says “this is a consular ship on a diplomatic mission!” That’s like, PG-film-constraints translation of “Me and the boys saw your mom last week, shithead! You’d think a woman who was willing to perform such depraved acts would be in a better class of brothel, but I guess she likes the action she gets dockside!”
    An absolute hero - The Normal Guy Who Told A Sith Lord to Get Fucked.

That might have been me. Not only me, of course, but you get the point.
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Rogue One does make the conversation between him and Princess Leia hilarious. Like, "...do you hear this bitch? Diplomatic mission? We were literally shooting gun batteries at one another thirty minutes ago. Talk about taking a fuckin' piss on us and telling us it's rain. Take her away!"

This was like the third time I'd ranted about it.

There is even a line in ANH where one of the lieutenants is all “yup this ship even has the blast scarring from the battle we just fought”

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    So Disney has had new cuts of at least one Star Wars movie sitting around for the last 5+ years and no one ever noticed?

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Ok, so I'll have to skip this thread until I see The Mandalorian. We might want to break that show discussion off into it's own thread.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So Disney has had new cuts of at least one Star Wars movie sitting around for the last 5+ years and no one ever noticed?

I read somewhere that it’s likely related to the canned 3D re-release of the original trilogy. Not so much unnoticed as set aside/canceled.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Ok, so I'll have to skip this thread until I see The Mandalorian. We might want to break that show discussion off into it's own thread.

Would not object!

Having just watched the first episode:

Hi, yes, more of that sort of thing please. Stat. is vein injection available? because as said: stat.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Why can they not leave that scene alone, ever? It's like, one of the most iconic Han moments and it's so butchered every time kids see it now

No bullshit, I keep a copy of the OT on Laserdisc just so I can have the original cuts in a widescreen format with Dolby sound. Haven't watched them in a couple of years, but they are available.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Release the OT on 4K Blu-Ray, you cowards.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I really don't get Lucas' aversion to the original scene. It's not like Han murders Greedo. Greedo flat out tells Han that he's going to kill him then and there. Why wouldn't Han shoot first if that's the case? Why would anyone go "Oh, okay Mr. Person-Who-Just-Said-They're-Going-To-Kill-Me, I'm going to be gentlemanly and let you get a shot in?"

It's idiotic.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Best it could be would be the first Special Edition edits from the late 90's. According to George Lucasfilms' masters of the OG-OT cuts were damaged or lost after doing the SEs, hence why the non-special edition cuts have never seen the light of day on DVD or regular BR.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    "damaged or lost" - more like destroyed or buried, IMO. :(

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Most likely. And it's not like collectors or major curated vaults wouldn't have some available to do a new digital scan/transfer for posterity. IMO it's George just wanting to flex his ego and not admit that some of the crap he did was pants-on-head.

If there's one thing that the House of Mouse could do to get some goodwill from me it'd be to get new transfers of the original cuts made for streaming or modern physical media.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Oh my God, it's so fucking good.

This is everything I've wanted in Star Wars since I saw Episode V and the Bounty Hunters stole my heart.

Like, I can't process how happy I am.
    The fucking IG droid. /swoon

Assuran on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    All these fuckin’ edits to the OT, and not a single one fixes Luke yelling “Carrie!” when he gets out of his X-Wing post-Death Star.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    The Library of Congress has the first movie, at least.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    This is all I have to say... Star Wars is bàaaaaaaaaaaaaack.

Wōooooo!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    For those who have seen the Mandalorian, would you say its appropriate for a 9 year old who has seen all of the films except SOLO?

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    southwick wrote: »
    For those who have seen the Mandalorian, would you say its appropriate for a 9 year old who has seen all of the films except SOLO?
    Absolutely, but keep this in mind: If you don’t wait until they’re done growing, you’re just throwing away hundreds and hundreds of dollars in constantly re-building the screen-accurate Mando cosplay gear that child is going to demand once they’ve seen it.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The Library of Congress has the first movie, at least.

The Library of Congress added ESB in 2010, which means who knows if they have the original version or not.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    southwick wrote: »
    There's one very brutal kill at the start where it's clear someone just got cut in half by a door. If Maul's death had no impact, this shouldnt, but be ware. there's also a droid brutally shot through the head, and one of jabba's pett... bird..squaky...things on a skewer, but nothing more than that so far - it's pretty bloodless

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I’ll see the Mandalorian eventually but probably not this year. I’m good, I can wait. My big concern is that, much like how movie Star Wars is sort of dislocating itself into an something more like Lord of the Rings, the Mandalorian might end up attempting to be Game of Thrones.

Does that make sense?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Goddamn that was good. Like.. okay, Disney, you were gonna get a sub anyways, but this pretty much cements it. If the rest of your original work keeps up to these standards, then I'm gonna be in heaven.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I’ll see the Mandalorian eventually but probably not this year. I’m good, I can wait. My big concern is that, much like how movie Star Wars is sort of dislocating itself into an something more like Lord of the Rings, the Mandalorian might end up attempting to be Game of Thrones.

Does that make sense?

I understand your concerns, but I really didn’t get that vibe from the first episode. It felt more like western.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    The Mandalorian was the first show in a long time that I actually leaned forward in my chair it was so good. I hate and love that I have to wait a week for the next episode.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    The Mandalorian was the first show in a long time that I actually leaned forward in my chair it was so good. I hate and love that I have to wait a week for the next episode.

Episode 2 is Friday

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I wasn't expecting to be interested in the slightest, but The Mandalorian almost immediately rolled out the Star Wars chops the ST has been desperately lacking. The scene that locked me was
    the Mando meeting with the ex-Imperial, who was in hiding and protected by a bunch of down-and-out Stormtroopers in dirty armor. Before that, the Mando is actively turning down the higher pay in Imperial credits because the Empire is gone now. Does he just hate the Empire? Does he just not want to try and spend Imperial credits? We don't know, but it still solidly recognizes that the OT actually did something in the galaxy and the Empire isn't running things now.
    That right there was already more actual world-building than I've seen in the entirety of the ST, which just bounces around from rehashed settings to meaningless nowhere places. This setting actually bothers to acknowledge that heavy shit has gone down in galactic history with the fall of the Empire, instead of just skipping over anything like that because it's too hard to work it into new material.

On top of that, it's actually constructing cultural material for the Mandos and is perfectly happy to do it with just a few lines of dialogue or no language at all. The bit with
    the forge is excellent. We get to see that the Mandos are definitely around, they take care of each other, and they're deeply involved with their traditions. We also get it all without obnoxious over-explanation or Mando chest-beating about how superior and great they are.

Also very pleasantly surprised that the Mando we're seeing isn't just some gruff asshole with a stick up his ass. He doesn't have much to say to bounty heads, but he definitely has an actual personality.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    A moment that just made me grin...
    the reference to getting home for Life Day.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Although I have my reasons to not jump into D+ right now, I am quite happy to hear that Mando has a lot of tangible, grounded worldbuilding going on, with a greater sense of possibility and development whirling across the outer radius of itself.

It sounds like it sits you down and feeds you right away, compared to, say, the Westworld Restaurant, where the menu is forty pages thick and after 12 hours you are given a spoon but still have no plate of any kind, let alone what you thought you ordered.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    It’s not the version of A New Hope that I want, but this is an absolutely gorgeous presentation of my favorite Star Wars movie.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

Most likely. And it's not like collectors or major curated vaults wouldn't have some available to do a new digital scan/transfer for posterity. IMO it's George just wanting to flex his ego and not admit that some of the crap he did was pants-on-head.

If there's one thing that the House of Mouse could do to get some goodwill from me it'd be to get new transfers of the original cuts made for streaming or modern physical media.

Awhile ago some fans got ahold of a 35mm print of the original theatrical cut and digitized/restored it.

I have to believe Disney has the power to do the same/better for all three movies. EDIT: ...and knows how much money is in it for them.

Taximes on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular

Best it could be would be the first Special Edition edits from the late 90's. According to George Lucasfilms' masters of the OG-OT cuts were damaged or lost after doing the SEs, hence why the non-special edition cuts have never seen the light of day on DVD or regular BR.

They released all three original movies on DVD in 2006 as a bonus disc for a limited edition set. I have them and the first thing I noticed when I put them on was that George left them in 2.0 stereo.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »

They released all three original movies on DVD in 2006 as a bonus disc for a limited edition set. I have them and the first thing I noticed when I put them on was that George left them in 2.0 stereo.

I covet those three discs like nothing else.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    lwt1973 wrote: »

Yeah, i normally watch shows while i game.

I actually put my switch down so i could focus on the show. THAT NEVER HAPPENS

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be remotely surprised if Lucas expressly forbade a restored, remastered version of the original version of the films when he sold off Star Wars to Disney. The guy had a major, major hardon for retconning material into the OT.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    That's a good first episode. I mean disney + has me by the balls because of all the disney pixar stuff for my son, but yeah can't wait to see more.

And I let my 3 year old watch it nothing too scary or bad in it. I think the show itself is rated pg?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I wouldn't be remotely surprised if Lucas expressly forbade a restored, remastered version of the original version of the films when he sold off Star Wars to Disney. The guy had a major, major hardon for retconning material into the OT.

More like a major hardon for the legalese relating to his divorce.

• Options

More like a major hardon for the legalese relating to his divorce.

You'd have to explain that to me. I know his ex-wife was heavily involved in editing the OT (and is one of the major reason ANH ended up a hit instead of just another C-grade 70s scifi flick), but I don't know what you're hinting at.

This discussion has been closed.