As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars Thread] Solid... I’m going to say analysis?

• Options
    NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    I just watched the first episode of The Mandalorian
    and it was extremely good. For me it actually makes the Star Wars universe feel bigger because it’s not tied to the main narrative (so far anyway). There are Star Wars trappings but it feels very much like its own thing

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Two of my favorite world-buildy? moments from the first episode of The Mandolorian:
    The Salacious B. Crumb-alike watching his friends get barbecued. A-hah-hah-hah to you, too, buddy!

The upgraded GNK droid.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Zek on
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    see317 wrote: »
    Handkor wrote: »
    Trying out Disney+ this morning and first thing that stood out A New Hope, perfect seed movie to my new profile.

Any idea which version we’re getting? I assume if it was the untouched originals there’d be more fanfare, but are we talking 90s SE or post-prequel edits?

Easiest way to tell?

IIRC,
    Han shot first = untouched original
    Greedo shot first = first special edition
    Greedo and Han shoot at the same time = retouched special edition

But, it has been a while since I've watched any of the Star Wars movies.

The future Disney re-rerelease has neither of them shooting, and contains roughly 24 minutes of new footage following Greedo as he returns to his family and tries to go legit.

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Mandalorian thoughts
    So we're dealing with at least three factions.
    The people who were guarding the infant.
    Herzog's crew: "alive or proof of death."
    Iggy's client wanted it dead.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be remotely surprised if Lucas expressly forbade a restored, remastered version of the original version of the films when he sold off Star Wars to Disney. The guy had a major, major hardon for retconning material into the OT.

More like a major hardon for the legalese relating to his divorce.

You'd have to explain that to me. I know his ex-wife was heavily involved in editing the OT (and is one of the major reason ANH ended up a hit instead of just another C-grade 70s scifi flick), but I don't know what you're hinting at.

Actually, I respectfully withdraw my remark with apologies. It was tasteless and not worth contributing to the discussion here. Sorry everyone.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    It's also one of those rumors which has been regularly discredited but it still makes the rounds every once and a while

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So assuming the rest of the mandalorian is good, how quickly will favereau and filoni be put on the next trilogy? Yesterday?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Mandalorian thoughts
    if the baby is a good guy, then the group guarding the baby were good guys, and we just watched the mandalorian wreck a whole barracks of good guys

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Mandalorian thoughts
    if the baby is a good guy, then the group guarding the baby were good guys, and we just watched the mandalorian wreck a whole barracks of good guys

Thats not necessarily true,
    Prisoners have people guarding them, too.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    For the record all there's a dedicated thread for The Mandalorian now.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Whats an ass mood

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I really don't get Lucas' aversion to the original scene. It's not like Han murders Greedo. Greedo flat out tells Han that he's going to kill him then and there. Why wouldn't Han shoot first if that's the case? Why would anyone go "Oh, okay Mr. Person-Who-Just-Said-They're-Going-To-Kill-Me, I'm going to be gentlemanly and let you get a shot in?"

It's idiotic.

And the only thing more idiotic is greedo shoots first and somehow misses from 3 feet away. Han was a smuggler and not a terribly good guy at the start of new hope and that's what makes his character progression through the movies good.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »

I mean if I'd been asked that question for years and years I'd say something similar. Like "fucking who cares move on I acted guys."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Mandalorian was fun. Felt a little flat.
    i liked the beat up down on their luck troopers and the way the robot fought was fun

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I even say that as a fan who hate the greedo shooting thing, but like Harrison Ford never comes across as a fan of star wars. He liked the people he worked with, but cares little for the actual movies beyond the money he gets from them. Which is fine, he was a guy playing a role and I can't fault him for getting cranky about dumb questions.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Hm, if Mandalorian continues to go well I wonder if Filoni will be able to get a movie (or trilogy) since 'he hasn't done live action' won't be a thing anymore.

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »
    Hm, if Mandalorian continues to go well I wonder if Filoni will be able to get a movie (or trilogy) since 'he hasn't done live action' won't be a thing anymore.

I'd imagine this is directly what's being discussed right now.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I even say that as a fan who hate the greedo shooting thing, but like Harrison Ford never comes across as a fan of star wars. He liked the people he worked with, but cares little for the actual movies beyond the money he gets from them. Which is fine, he was a guy playing a role and I can't fault him for getting cranky about dumb questions.

After 40 years of it? I'd be fucking cranky too!

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    He doesn't seem like he's a fan of anything

Every interview he gives these days he has a 'ugh, this shit again' attitude.

I relate to that so much

• Options
    mcp wrote: »

I relate to that so much

Harrison Ford acts like pretty much everyone else does our job. He shows up does the thing and wants minimal contact afterwards.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

I relate to that so much

Although, at least before Crystal Skull, he had repeatedly said he wanted to do another Indiana Jones movie, in the same breath as demurring about wanting to play Han Solo again.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

I relate to that so much

Harrison Ford acts like pretty much everyone else does our job. He shows up does the thing and wants minimal contact afterwards.

Which is about what you'd expect for a carpenter turned superstar. Cabinets don't give a shit about press tours after they are installed.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Mandalorian thoughts
    Given the locals reaction to the people with the infant there may even be a fourth faction those who the people with the infant got the infant from in the first place. They clearly did not look like they were setup for child care so looks like they kidnapped the kid from some other group. So presumably wherever they got the baby from probably wants the baby back too.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Something I just realized about Mandalorian Ep 1
    Mando Calrissian (and I will call him that until his name is revealed and probably forever, thank you SE++) doesn't go out of his way to kill. In the barfight, he was just beating the thugs unconscious until the Quarren pulled a blaster and the mercs at the compound shot first.

Maybe it's just the way those scenes played out, but it'd be an interesting thing to explore since most Star Wars characters, even heroes, don't give a shit about killing.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Eh, makes long-term sense to me. One guy beats up several others at once in a bar and when those guys go to gripe about it, they just get laughed at for having their asses handed to them. One guy kills several others in a bar, then their buddies (because practically everybody in Star Wars is part of some group or another) go looking for revenge. Mandos don't get paid to kill random idiots in bars, so why bother making trouble for themselves over it later?

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I know it’s called Star Wars but it’s true that most characters are ready to murder extras like it’s the only way to get across a room. Most of the time it’s practically treated like a game of dodgeball-characters rarely express remorse or concern for the deaths of others. It’s also true that aside from something outlandish like that odd lost hand/arm situation, injuries are extremely rare, you know? Nobody gets a bloody nose in Star Wars.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Rey was momentarily shocked after she shot her first storm trooper, but then more of them came and she snapped out of it.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    If there is one thing we know about the Star Wars universe is that life means squat to everybody. And I'm not even talking about mustache twirling stuff like blowing up a planet. Have you ever, and I mean ever seen a safety railing on anything? A seatbelt? That universe is the ultimate in "you're on your own, don't fuckin die". So people getting offed left and right probably doesn't even phase anyone.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    If there is one thing we know about the Star Wars universe is that life means squat to everybody. And I'm not even talking about mustache twirling stuff like blowing up a planet. Have you ever, and I mean ever seen a safety railing on anything? A seatbelt? That universe is the ultimate in "you're on your own, don't fuckin die". So people getting offed left and right probably doesn't even phase anyone.

I was trying to think of something in the entire universe, including even the cancelled EU, that bitches about all the killing that gets done.

The closest I came come up with is
    Kotor II where the Jedi Masters bitch you out at the end of the game. Saying that it is unnatural that you have grown stronger for leaving a trail of Death across the galaxy.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Well, Obi-Wan wasn't real pleased with a planet getting blown up in ANH. And Mon Mothma sadly reminds everyone that their info about the second Death Star came at the cost of many lives.

It's probably pretty safe to say the Empire wasn't interested in keeping their OSHA department, what with all the mass murder committed by Imperial forces. How do you even work out the safety rules for manufacturing a giant planet-destroying cannon via slave labor you intend to work to death? You've got to keep the quality up on the one hand, while also needing to brutally neglect your slave work force.

Much easier to just say "fuck rulebooks" and have inspections, then execute everybody on a work team if they've got some shoddy work.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

I once saw the Star Wars universe, in one of these threads (or possibly the SE thread), compared to the 40k universe, as being basically its older, more chill brother. It's still a galaxy full of horror and death but it's not as up its own ass (satirically or seriously) about how awesomely grimdark it is.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Well, Obi-Wan wasn't real pleased with a planet getting blown up in ANH. And Mon Mothma sadly reminds everyone that their info about the second Death Star came at the cost of many lives.

It's probably pretty safe to say the Empire wasn't interested in keeping their OSHA department, what with all the mass murder committed by Imperial forces. How do you even work out the safety rules for manufacturing a giant planet-destroying cannon via slave labor you intend to work to death? You've got to keep the quality up on the one hand, while also needing to brutally neglect your slave work force.

Much easier to just say "fuck rulebooks" and have inspections, then execute everybody on a work team if they've got some shoddy work.

Imperial Officer trainees are encouraged to murder competition. So yeah I doubt they care about safety

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Mando Calrissian (and I will call him that until his name is revealed and probably forever, thank you SE++) doesn't go out of his way to kill. In the barfight, he was just beating the thugs unconscious until the Quarren pulled a blaster and the mercs at the compound shot first.

Maybe it's just the way those scenes played out, but it'd be an interesting thing to explore since most Star Wars characters, even heroes, don't give a shit about killing.

Technically that guy might not even be dead. I mean, it's likely. But it's Star Wars. We don't know.

Diplominator on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Technically that guy might not even be dead. I mean, it's likely. But it's Star Wars. We don't know.

Hey, Maul crawled it off!

(Though i have to assume having everything cauterized probably helped)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

To be fair, things like safety rails are rarely shown in movies because it makes for a better shot. Michell and Webb spoofed this pretty well.

Mc zany on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

Imperial Officer trainees are encouraged to murder competition. So yeah I doubt they care about safety

Just Darth Vader. Who, ironically, isn't a commissioned officer, he's sort-of-Lord Protector. It's one of those things we often extrapolate out from because Vader kills two guys in Empire Strikes Back. Fun guys like Zsinj are remarkable (and despised) because they used murder as a substitute for disciplinary action (also, because of his name and looking like a fat plumber).

(Unless there's something in Rebels I haven't seen, which I can't rule out. We actually get some insight into the nebulous "Academy" in the old materials, and TIE Fighter, and no, they don't encourage people to kill each other on account of the whole "trust" "absolute loyalty" and "a good leader might be killed by a better assassin" dilemmas. And obviously no one else does it in the films themselves.)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Yeah, I like to think that the rank and file troops and officers of the Imperial Army and Navy are just regular run of the mill troops doing their best to maintain order and peace, through government sanctioned heavy handed methods, the best they can do.

Its the upper echelon of Captains, Admirals, Moffs, etc. (and those that strive to be in those positions) that all politically engaged conniving backstabbers.... they may not murder their rivals out in the open but they are absolutely plotting their own advancements at the cost of their rivals. Why? Because the Emperor wants it that way. He fosters and encourages that kind of behaviour because he rewards the winners and punishes the losers. He cackles with evil glee that the ruling class of his Empire follows the Sith ways, even if they are not Sith themselves.

Vader is definitely outside the chain of command though. His authority is based on whatever the Emperor gives him, and then what he takes for himself. Examples in the comics are that he is sometimes placed in subservient position to a shitty moff or admiral and made to eat shit from these clowns. Eventually they fuck up enough, or Anakin finally Vader's up and learns how the game is played and steps to replace the shitty miff. The Emperor then feigns anger until Vader explains why his way was the better way, and then Palps smiles because his apprentice as learning. (specific source: https://comicstore.marvel.com/Star-Wars-Age-Of-Rebellion-Villains/digital-comic/52395 )

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

If anything that specific method means he could.be more alive than ever!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
This discussion has been closed.