As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rick & Morty] Justin Roiland Versus Season Seven (Oct. 15th 2023)

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    It's interesting to me that Rick is essentially unkillable. Even though he should have died, be keeps repawning in other dimensions, thanks to his cloning protocol. I'm curious both on how many bodies he's gone through (several that we know of) and also, how his consciousness always comes back with all his memories intact.

They've played with the whole mind fuck of infinite alternate realities a number of times. One of the outgrowths is if there is a possible way for you to come back, then you will.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I get that, I'm just curious how his consciousness is shared across universes. Like he must have like, an iCloud backup of his mind that's constantly updating.

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I get that, I'm just curious how his consciousness is shared across universes. Like he must have like, an iCloud backup of his mind that's constantly updating.

Wait. You DON'T have your mind constantly being backed up across the multiverse? Weirdo.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I can't decide if my favorite alternate universe was the teddy bear one where he just nopes out immediately or the shrimp one, where he thinks everything is finally going to be okay and then it all suddenly ends horribly.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Shrimp one had the best bit with Rick running away, furious at fascist universes being the default.

Quid wrote: »
    Shrimp one had the best bit with Rick running away, furious at fascist universes being the default.

The way it was phrased really called the last decade out. "When did fascist become the default?"

Too real.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Edit: Disregard

RT800 on
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I actually had a though about the fascist Universes in general. We saw previously that Rick C-137 had the entire Clone thing going on in his own basement, but he destroyed it. It then goes that something similar happened to most other Ricks. They had clones backups, but destroyed them. The only exception was Fascist human Rick, Fascist shrimp Rick, Fascist Teddy Bear Rick and Wasp Rick. In other words most people with clones are fascist or wasps, otherwise he would have jumped to any of the thousands of other Ricks that are out there.

The Exception to the Fascist Rule is Wasp Rick, who flat out states that he is not an fascist because as a Wasp he is already an asshole. He proves it by eating Mr Goldenfarb alive(yuck and soo disturbing). He states doesn't need to add more asshole behavior to his existence.

So the commonality of all 4 Ricks isn't fascism. Its that they are all extra level of asshole(Because default Rick is an asshole and if I have to tell you that after 3 Seasons+1 episode, then how does it feel to completely miss the point about Rick's character?) Which in turn means that any Rick that is a Fascist is an extra level of asshole. Which in turn means that Fascist are all assholes.

There! I have scientifically proven that Fascist are Assholes using empirical observable data and scientific deduction. Suck it nerds!

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I remember Season 3 being good, but holy frijoles was this an out of the park premiere.
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    So that was... fun. Not crazy ofF the wall type of the S3 opener but a good fresh start. Like this is probably not going to create any of the Szechuan sauce mania which actually ups the episode in my esteem.

Its also nice to see that Morty can be just as much as an asshole as Rick if there something he wants. The ending punch line was killer though.

Also the entire Fascist subplot was another dig at a certain subsection of fans right? Cause there are people that buy into Ricks ubermensch front that have a heavy overlap with such assholes.

I mean. . .Morty asks for a drug to force the girl of his dreams to fall in love with him and has no problem with eventually having sex with her. He's always been, as Rick says, a little creep.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

It's super science, which may as well be magic.

Maybe nanites in his blood stream are all constantly updating with a current copy of his entire body state at a molecular level, each of which is individually capable of transmitting said state to the nearest compatible cloning facility via an interdimensional mesh network of similar nanites.

Or maybe he's enslaved a telepathic plant that's capable of sucking his consciousness out of one body and pushing it into another, which he keeps in a jar that puts it slightly out of synch with time in his current universe so that it can do the sucking just before his death triggers it.

The more absurdly convoluted the explanation the more likely it is, so far as I'm concerned.

So why is this season only 5 episodes and 2 years after the last one? Legit question as I assume there's a good reason for it. As popular as the show is I'd expect there to be money falling out of the sky sufficient to produce more than an hour and change of it per year.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    I remember Season 3 being good, but holy frijoles was this an out of the park premiere.
    So that was... fun. Not crazy ofF the wall type of the S3 opener but a good fresh start. Like this is probably not going to create any of the Szechuan sauce mania which actually ups the episode in my esteem.

Its also nice to see that Morty can be just as much as an asshole as Rick if there something he wants. The ending punch line was killer though.

Also the entire Fascist subplot was another dig at a certain subsection of fans right? Cause there are people that buy into Ricks ubermensch front that have a heavy overlap with such assholes.

I mean. . .Morty asks for a drug to force the girl of his dreams to fall in love with him and has no problem with eventually having sex with her. He's always been, as Rick says, a little creep.

That's bad, but it's regular 14 year old shithead bad. In this episode, Morty murders at least 17 people, almost all of whom he's never even met before. That's a lot more Rick-esque.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

That's bad, but it's regular 14 year old shithead bad. In this episode, Morty murders at least 17 people, almost all of whom he's never even met before. That's a lot more Rick-esque.

well in his defense he just saw them murder him in the future so he was just doing it in self defense.

Also, was one of the bullies that snitch from Recess?

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »

well in his defense he just saw them murder him in the future so he was just doing it in self defense.

that was driving me crazy!

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    So why is this season only 5 episodes and 2 years after the last one? Legit question as I assume there's a good reason for it. As popular as the show is I'd expect there to be money falling out of the sky sufficient to produce more than an hour and change of it per year.
    AFAIK, Harmon & Roiland were negotiating the terms for a new contract with Adult Swim for a long time.
    Season four is (probably, at least) ten episodes (maybe more) but they've only announced air-dates for five episodes so far. Why? I have no idea.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

I really liked the bullying line. It was something like "Oh, you just killed the bully! That means you're the new big bully, and it's bullying season on big bullies bullying bullies."

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Watched the S4x01 episode. It was a nice return, with some subtle "Fuck fascism" tossed in there. It was a good one without being crazy pants insane.

I think you may have a very different definition of "subtle" than I normally use.

Anyone else think the Wasp Dinner scene was the most disturbing thing on this episode?
    Somehow, it just being a normal family dinner while the caterpillar was screaming on the table about the babies getting eaten... Like, that's some grade A messed up shit that wouldn't be out of place in a horror movie.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

I really liked the bullying line. It was something like "Oh, you just killed the bully! That means you're the new big bully, and it's bullying season on big bullies bullying bullies."

When he hit him with the little antigravity ball and the bully started floating into the sky and said something about the air getting thin I cracked up

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Really nice start I thought, a genuinely enjoyable episode with plenty to say that always focused on the humor despite that. I very much enjoyed the holoRick talking about his rights :) and as ever, Morty was pretty much 100% believable as a 14 year old boy who's not too smart who lands in this situation.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I was really hoping that the post-credits stinger would be Rick strapping a bunch of those guns to himself and going to clean up all of the Nazi universes. What we got instead was hilarious though, I guess Morty learned a valuable lesson about death crystals.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Yeah, okay, that was pretty great and I'm so glad to have this show back. The only reason it's not a top tier episode is because this show's top tier is ridiculously high.

I'm a little grumpy because I went on to Hulu to watch it, and found it's one of the shows not included unless you have Live.

I had to buy the season on Amazon, which, let's be honest, is totally worth the $22, but still, grumble grumble.

And yeah, the dinner scene and, to lesser extent, the final battle against Rick were goddamn horrifying.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    There’s a lesson here, but I’m not the one that’s going to figure it out.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    I was really hoping that the post-credits stinger would be Rick strapping a bunch of those guns to himself and going to clean up all of the Nazi universes. What we got instead was hilarious though, I guess Morty learned a valuable lesson about death crystals.

Oh no! I forget there were bits after the credits!

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Mr Ray wrote: »

Oh no! I forget there were bits after the credits!

Wasn't one on Hulu. :(

• painfulPleasancepainfulPleasance The First RepublicRegistered User regular
    First ep's free on as

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    First ep's free on as

If it's like last time, they'll rotate each new episode as they come out, so you can watch along. But you can't binge it once it's done, since there's only one ep per week

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Yeah, okay, that was pretty great and I'm so glad to have this show back. The only reason it's not a top tier episode is because this show's top tier is ridiculously high.

I'm a little grumpy because I went on to Hulu to watch it, and found it's one of the shows not included unless you have Live.

I had to buy the season on Amazon, which, let's be honest, is totally worth the $22, but still, grumble grumble.

And yeah, the dinner scene and, to lesser extent, the final battle against Rick were goddamn horrifying.

I don't know if they'll do it for all of them but we missed the airing and then caught 4.1 free on the show website . We hit it on the Xbox browser. They also run a free, continuous stream of every episode in order on there as well.

Carpy on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Rick has constructed a vast array of fantastic inventions with a space-age, sci-fi themed aesthetic of gleaming futuristic alloys, sparkling crystalline lenses, and inconceivable alien mechanisms, and yet he's still got garbage cans on his spaceship.

H9f4bVe.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Rick has constructed a vast array of fantastic inventions with a space-age, sci-fi themed aesthetic of gleaming futuristic alloys, sparkling crystalline lenses, and inconceivable alien mechanisms, and yet he's still got garbage cans on his spaceship.

It's a good cover you don't steal crap. And if you do well. It can give back and take away

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Of course Jerry’s a closeted weeb

• PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Jerry immediately having a complete understanding of everything that happened was the funniest part of the whole episode to me.

Piotyr on
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I only know that Kirkland is a brand sold in Costco but I don't really go there much at all so the off brand meeseeks thing went over my head.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I knew there was the frozen originals, I was more curious if they'll ever confront Rick. It was pretty odd that Morty took his "new" sister to see his *actual* sister though. So he knows they exist and apparently he could save them at anytime from that miserable existence (that they adapted to) but doesn't other than to use them for an example of how shit Rick is. I guess it's just the show not wanting to deal with it.

IDK, I could be happy with the series ending with original Beth murdering Rick for abandoning her on that world. It all seems so at odds with the supposed lengths he goes to, to protect her.

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I only know that Kirkland is a brand sold in Costco but I don't really go there much at all so the off brand meeseeks thing went over my head.

Generally it's an inferior direct knock off of a known product.

Hence the red, slacker Meeseks

PSN: Canadian_llama
    edited November 2019
    We inherited a Kirkland dog bed almost 10 years ago for our beagle, I can literally see it from here where I type, with the kirkland logo on it. Thing is fantastic, it's literally a little soft couch for beagle Jake. I've never bought the kirkland food stuff, but locally we can get boneless skinless chicken breasts there for 11.99 a kilo every single time we go, which is generally quite a bit better than most of the grocery stores.

Man, I hate going to Costco though.

Nosf on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Most of Kirkland's stuff is fine. It's some of the foods with proprietary recipes they have trouble with like most other store brands.

And the trick to Costco runs is to go in when they open, with a list, and ideally one or two people to assist.

edited November 2019
    Tuesday mornings, right as they open. It's a sea of blue hair at the front door. You get past them, they don't walk, they shamble. You rocket through them and get your shit and get out. It's the only way to do it civilized I find.

Nosf on
    Locally at least, ours is pretty dead during the week. It is a mad house on the weekends though.

• TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Quid wrote: »
    Most of Kirkland's stuff is fine. It's some of the foods with proprietary recipes they have trouble with like most other store brands.

And the trick to Costco runs is to go in when they open, with a list, and ideally one or two people to assist.

Preparing to go to Costco, you, definitely have to plan it , "Rainbow-Six" style before you go in.

Or like Rick, just GOD mode through it, when times are pressing.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I am sure in the writers room there was a convo like this:

"Let's have a store brand meseeks box that sucks"

"it's funnier if it's specific, what's a good store brand?"

"Great Value is WalMart's"

"Nobody knows that."

"Berkeley and Jensen?"

"Too long"

"What if it's from Ikea?"

"Those are just random scandinavian places and names. I don't think it'll play."

"Kirkland Signature?"

"Amazing but costco makes good products"

"Yeah but it SOUNDS funny"

"Kirkland Signature Meseeks it is"

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I wonder if No Name™ is a Canadian only thing. It's the brand name for Superstore, but also some other stores, all owned by what a google search is telling me the Canadian retailer Loblaws. I always thought it was kind of weird and funny growing up. It is the most generic yellow packaging with nothing but the word "no name" (in small caps) in black lettering. So the products are literally called "no name ketchup/no name potato chips/no name detergent" in generic yellow packaging. They have all the feel of... well completely generic products... with no name ("Oh I get it!"). But it is otherwise no different than any other store brand.

Hell, a picture says a thousand words, right?

20040208_front_a01.png

Tell me that ain't the most purposefully generic designed thing ever.

It gets even weirder, because Superstore has another in store brand: President's Choice. Which is also virtually identical to every other in store brand out there.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."