As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The good, the bad and [The Mandalorian] OPEN SPOILERS

Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
edited November 2019 in Debate and/or Discourse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmI7WKrAtqs

Star Was first tv series debuts this week on Disney+.

Here's the panel from D23.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrlTosbjylA

Harry Dresden on

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Show was hype. Looking forward to more. Especially more stuff having to do with Mandalorian culture. I remember a fair amount of the EU stuff and am interested in seeing what they decide to make canon and what new stuff they decide to add.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    So the end
    The doctor and the species of the baby make me think this is a clone of Yoda that they didnt want to accelerate aging on

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    So the end
    The doctor and the species of the baby make me think this is a clone of Yoda that they didnt want to accelerate aging on

I really hope not, personally - I'd love to actually have more on that species rather than... well.

But yeah, that was hypee as Erik said!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So the end

I don't think so. Not exactly.
    If the baby is 50 years old, that would put its birth before the clone wars no matter how things were sliced. I can't tell how far after the fall of the Empire it is set, but even then...

Still, who wouldn't want to get ahold of their own Yoda?

This show was so damned hype. I loved the puppetwork, the side characters, the world building... about the only things that really stood out to me was the blue guy at the beginning's manner of talking compared to what I'm used to, and a bit of CGI about midway through that seemed to have a soap opera effect for me.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Watched the first episode - It's good, but not great. Could wait for a couple more weeks to get a few episode backlog built up and then watch it all the way through.

S1E1 Spoiler:
    I'm a bit biased but writing off Taika Waititi voiced droid is poor form. POOR FORM!

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    I mean, the Droid is on the poster, I'm sure he'll be back!

Loved it as well. Started pretty slow but ended super strong. They also made Life Day canon so yes bring in more weird Lucas Star Wars shit.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I will be interested to see how much of Filoni's prior stuff makes it in. Maybe we'll see Sabine.
    Maybe we've already seen Sabine.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @thatassemblyguy

I mean ...

S1E1 spoiler:
    He's a droid. They come off ... heh heh ... assembly lines. Pretty sure him or someone like him will be back.

• Options
    I will be interested to see how much of Filoni's prior stuff makes it in. Maybe we'll see Sabine.
    Maybe we've already seen Sabine.

That would be pretty boss

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So I've actually liked both of the ST films so far but this I loved.

Like I've enjoyed the ST films but they haven't really felt like sequels to the OT to me. They feel more like a reboot of the OT for a new generation (which is fine).

Episode 1 of this show though? This actually feels like it's taking place after Return of the Jedi in a way that I just don't think The Force Awakens ever will for me.

And they did it in a single episode.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Mandalorian thoughts
    So we're dealing with at least three factions.
    The people who were guarding the infant.
    Herzog's crew: "alive or proof of death."
    Iggy's client wanted it dead.
    if the baby is a good guy, then the group guarding the baby were good guys, and we just watched the mandalorian wreck a whole barracks of good guys

Thats not necessarily true,
    Prisoners have people guarding them, too.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Can someone explain if/why
    forging that slab of metal into some armor
    Is significant.

Because it seems neat, but is also confusing.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Is significant.

Seemed like a rite of passage. I'm guessing they get their armor forged out of the super precious metal as they earn it.

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »
    Is significant.

I believe
    Mandos gain armor parts as sort of a right of passage so our Mandoloarian got the metal so a child could get a new peice of armor

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @Marathon

Just from the show ...
    When the Mando shows up in the first bar, the thugs come up to him and ask if he’s wearing “real Beskar steel” armor.

The Fallen Imp who hires him offers the ingot of Beskar as up-front payment, saying that it was stolen from his people and belongs back with them - along with all the rest of the truckload of Beskar he’d get for completing the contract. That’s enough to convince someone willing to take a 50% pay cut to not get Imperial credits to work for an Imp.

Then, of course, it gets made into a piece of armor for him and the unused portion will be enough to support multiple people.

So, big deal.

Out of show ...
    Beskar is THE Mandolorian material. It’s known to be partially resistant to lightsabers. It fits kind of in the Damascus steel realm - semi-mythical, hard to make, amazing properties. I think that its creation is either spectacularly difficult or possibly lost at the moment, so that reforging is possible but nothing new can be made.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    @Marathon

Just from the show ...
    When the Mando shows up in the first bar, the thugs come up to him and ask if he’s wearing “real Beskar steel” armor.

The Fallen Imp who hires him offers the ingot of Beskar as up-front payment, saying that it was stolen from his people and belongs back with them - along with all the rest of the truckload of Beskar he’d get for completing the contract. That’s enough to convince someone willing to take a 50% pay cut to not get Imperial credits to work for an Imp.

Then, of course, it gets made into a piece of armor for him and the unused portion will be enough to support multiple people.

So, big deal.

Out of show ...
    Beskar is THE Mandolorian material. It’s known to be partially resistant to lightsabers. It fits kind of in the Damascus steel realm - semi-mythical, hard to make, amazing properties. I think that its creation is either spectacularly difficult or possibly lost at the moment, so that reforging is possible but nothing new can be made.

Good to know, thank you. I missed that bit of dialogue during the show and then I didn’t know the details from the cannon.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    One detail I would have liked: there were 3 planets in this episode and I don't think any of them were identified.

• Options
    One detail I would have liked: there were 3 planets in this episode and I don't think any of them were identified.

Hoth lite , sweaty world and Tatwoine

• Options
    So my sister, who likes to frequent gossip sites, sends me this yesterday morning:
    e2oogezgeh40.jpeg

Again, that was sent to me before noon, before she even knew if I had watched it.

Gonna have to send the Mandalorian after her...

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    So my sister, who likes to frequent gossip sites, sends me this yesterday morning:
    e2oogezgeh40.jpeg

Again, that was sent to me before noon, before she even knew if I had watched it.

Gonna have to send the Mandalorian after her...

That is unforgivable.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Clickbait websites goddamn man, no decency at all.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    I liked it, looked great. Kinda concerned that there's only around 35 mins of actual show before the credits roll. You'd think with everything at Disney's disposal they could have made the episodes 45mins or even 60mins long?

At this length it kinda feels they're still stuck in that made for TV mindset and leaving room for commercial breaks.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I liked that it was only 40 minutes, meant the episode was lean and mean. And commercial breaks, chapter breaks, whatever are in pretty much every show, people need time to breathe.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I liked that it was only 40 minutes, meant the episode was lean and mean. And commercial breaks, chapter breaks, whatever are in pretty much every show, people need time to breathe.

It's a good idea to build it as if you were going to air it on commercially supported TV.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »

It's a good idea to build it as if you were going to air it on commercially supported TV.

Pretty much all the streaming shows I've seen have spots for where a traditional commercial break would be.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I'd rather they not try and pad out the runtime (minutes or episodes) to hit some artificial target.

• Options
    I'd rather they not try and pad out the runtime (minutes or episodes) to hit some artificial target.

Agreed, although i wouldnt have complained about 2 or 3 additional minutes of armor stuff. A little bit more on the blacksmithing, a bit more on fitment, etc really make it a ceremonial thing.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I thought at first that I would want a longer run time but honestly it felt just right. The episode didn't feel padded and didn't feel rushed. Hopefully the following episodes will be the same

• Options
    I loved it so much i'm really contemplating waiting the rest of the episodes out so i can just mainline the whole season and immerse myself into the world like a kid.
    I really dont want spoilers though....

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Clickbait websites goddamn man, no decency at all.
    My Google news feed on my phone had a
    baby yoda
    headline in the middle of the day, so I knew what was coming. Annoying.

mcp on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Apparently ep 1 is the shortest one

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    Is this the first we’ve seen of those tracking fabs? It seems weird there’s a personalized device to lead a bounty hunter to the general location of their bounty.

• Options
    I was a big fan of there being humor, even humor from the protagonist in the episode. If the main character was a mostly joyless faceless person I think I'd get bored right away. But thank god that's not the case.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Igpx407 wrote: »
    Is this the first we’ve seen of those tracking fabs? It seems weird there’s a personalized device to lead a bounty hunter to the general location of their bounty.

Well obviously before you commit a crime you have to register that crime with the Guild of Thieves and Scalawags and then they work with the Bounty Hunter's Guild to provide the tracking fobs. When the thief is brought to justice and the stolen goods returned to the rightful owner, another thief can steal those goods. In this way, the circle of scum continues and everyone remains employed.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Igpx407 wrote: »

Yeah, that was the one piece of tech I was disappointed in. I wanted to have scenes of him tracking his bounty. Hopefully they explain it at some point, because it seems odd that it can even exist, tbh.

• Options
    The initial bounties were bail jumpers I thought? So the tracking fobs would be something they agreed to have when they accepted bail and when they ran could then be tracked.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Re: Tracking Fobs

I'm guessing they've decided to split up the tracking part of being a bounty hunter to a separate role within the guild. I'm guessing it goes like this:

- Someone puts a bounty on a person's head
    - Guild sends a tracker who finds them and places a tracking device on them
    - The tracking fob is sent back to the guild at which point the puck becomes available for hunting.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    The initial bounties were bail jumpers I thought? So the tracking fobs would be something they agreed to have when they accepted bail and when they ran could then be tracked.
    The baby Yoda jumped bail?

ObiFett on
  • Options

You don't know maybe it did Obi. MAYBE IT DID!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

50 year olds can't jump bail? 50 isn't that old, Obi.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
This discussion has been closed.