As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me pick a new TCG

danyyzdanyyz Registered User new member
edited January 2008 in Critical Failures
I need some pro-star advice on picking a new TCG for me and some friends.

I played magic back in the day and liked it, but none of my friends are willing to give it a try. We played some WoW TCG and recently *shudder* Naruto – Although neither of them are really satisfying the itch – WoW is way to rock paper scissors, and Naruto is well…Naruto…Plus we can never find cards for it.

Does anyone remember Magi-Nation? God I loved that game. Is there anything similar that anyone can recommend? We only play casually, never tournaments, so its fun that were looking for. We also have a rule, we don’t ever buy single cards. Its luck of the draw and trades in the group all the way…

Thanks!

danyyz on

• Options
    OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm no expert in TCGs, but there's a whole sub forum for Pokemon TCG just over yonder... they might be able and willing to convert you/show you the light.

OhtheVogonity on
    Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I know you said Magic is kinda out, but I can't recommend it enough. It's the most robust TCG on the market

If you were interested in trying to convert your friends, I would recommend taking a look at this

They're preconstructed decks without the suck of a traditional precon, featuring two highly recognized fantasy races punching eachother in the face over and over, good for indoctrinating any solid fantasy/card game fan

If you're really against Magic, I hear pokemon is pretty good, as well as Legend of the Five Rings

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    GrimJestaGrimJesta Registered User new member
    edited January 2008
    I found the Call of Cthulhu CCG to be a lot of fun. It's very, very in keeping with the vibe of Lovecraft's works and the rules are clear and simple, yet complex enough to keep you interested. Like the popular works, you battle over strories, resolving conflicts in pretty much the same order as you'd see them by Lovecraft's pen: Terror, Combat, Arcane, Investigation. The two sides slug it out in each of those categories to slowly win the story. You need three stories to win the game. There's seven factions: Investigators, Government, Organized Crime, Hastur, Cthulhu, Shub-Niggurath, and Yog-Sothtoth, and you can freely mix and choose what factions to include for your deck. For example, I have a deck compromised of Mafia dudes that worship Hastur. Another deck I have is pure Cthulhu, but only made up of Deep Ones and relies on Terror to win.

If you haven't read the works by Lovecraft you needn't worry. The game doesn't rely on you too. It's just a good horror CCG. But Lovecraft fans would get a kick out of it (and I like it a lot better than the older Lovecraft CCG "Mythos").

-=Grim=-

GrimJesta on
  • Options
    TimmerTimmer Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'll put my vote in for The Spoils. I first got into WoW TCG then as soon as I learned how to play The Spoils, I never looked back. I also tried Magic and if you love the act of trading it'd be hard to put this game down, but as far as rules and play go, I think after Spoils it's hard to like much, at least it was for me :)

Timmer on
  • Options
    danyyzdanyyz Registered User new member
    edited January 2008
    Thanks for the replies so far all!!!

Ive tried to get my friends on the boat for Magic, I know its fun. But they were the kind of people who always made fun of the nerds playing it in school(like maself:), I only got them into TCG becuase they were avid Warcrack players...(but lets be fair, their playing Naruto now LOL O_o)

Pokemon seems like a solid choice, and new starters are a cheap way to get in...I was also looking at Maple Story, but I know wizards hasnt kept any of their new TCGs going*coughHECATOMBcough* for any appriciable time either...

Im glad The Spoils were mentioned, it looks pretty fun, although from what I understand there is still only one faction card availiable...

Grrrr..Im just being too damn picky I know...After dropping a few hundred on WOW and dropping it though..can ya blame me :lol:

Im probably going to cave and pick up startes for Poke&Maple.....

danyyz on
  • Options
    wateyadwateyad Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    GrimJesta wrote: »
    I found the Call of Cthulhu CCG to be a lot of fun. It's very, very in keeping with the vibe of Lovecraft's works and the rules are clear and simple, yet complex enough to keep you interested. Like the popular works, you battle over strories, resolving conflicts in pretty much the same order as you'd see them by Lovecraft's pen: Terror, Combat, Arcane, Investigation. The two sides slug it out in each of those categories to slowly win the story. You need three stories to win the game. There's seven factions: Investigators, Government, Organized Crime, Hastur, Cthulhu, Shub-Niggurath, and Yog-Sothtoth, and you can freely mix and choose what factions to include for your deck. For example, I have a deck compromised of Mafia dudes that worship Hastur. Another deck I have is pure Cthulhu, but only made up of Deep Ones and relies on Terror to win.

If you haven't read the works by Lovecraft you needn't worry. The game doesn't rely on you too. It's just a good horror CCG. But Lovecraft fans would get a kick out of it (and I like it a lot better than the older Lovecraft CCG "Mythos").

-=Grim=-

It should also be mentioned that unless something drastic has changed since I last heard anything, new cards for this game are ONLY published anymore in the form of preconstructed decks, meaning it shouldn't break the bank.

wateyad on