As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Day the Music Died - Prelude: Concerning Charlie Horse - A [Phalla] - It's Over!

• MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    Like I said, I didn't want to do this.

I made a couple mistakes and the audio quality is bad.

Lyrics
    Oh Gideon lived ‘til the last day
    Though he regrets it now
    A horse he killed with murder bold
    I guess he’ll take his bow

Now the vote is close at hand
    And he can hide no more
    The village wits he meant to trick
    Now they’re settling the score

His partners lied, though it was tough
    To tell them “Sir Fab’s town”
    And now the fools all choose to vote
    To vote at Gideon Brown
    To vote at Gideon Brown

The Seer results all came around
    And they planted small suspicions
    I said Mamawolf, to let you know
    Your kill is your volition
    But I’ll suggest a couple folks
    So that you don’t shoot Town
    If I’m a help, then please don’t vote
    Don’t vote at Gideon Brown

I’ll network ‘til I’m sick and pale
    And shut the village down
    I always thought that I'd stand proud
    ‘Til the vote for Gideon Brown

Many days did pass away
    My partners all did fade
    We didn't talk on ProBoards much
    Except “ I am afraid'
    If things don't soon improve
    Then we'll be underground
    I hope we never see ourselves
    In a vote for Gideon Brown

I sat and held one friend today
    And said 'Mari, I’m sorry'
    I’m dead, the town has got your name
    We’re the losers of this story

And when I'm gone they'll send you off
    For saying Sir Fab’s town
    You’ll buy yourself one day, my love
    With a vote for Gideon Brown

I have been bamboozled by you!! This song certainly makes up for it! I love this song so much! Thank you for including me in this!! <3<3

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I'm just relieved that Jpants wasn't mafia

Also, no hurt feelings for anyone I vigged this game. It's hard when you don't have proper seer results and got led by mafia network haha

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    BTW, my wife texted me while I was on the way home from work today:

"Hun, what is this forum thread you have open on the computer? "The devil came down to Newfoundland"? That better not be about me!"
    I'm glad no one looked at this and thought hey, that's not what the thread was called.

s0xj6bes4cmm.png

http://devilwentdowntonfld.proboards.com/
    Phyphor will need to unlock.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I was blown away that no one asked more questions about that.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Should be unlocked
    If you want to know which songs map to which characters, see http://devilwentdowntonfld.proboards.com/thread/4/entertainment

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Are they all Great Big Sea? I'm a terrible Newfoundlander for not knowing...

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Well a lot are traditional folk songs, but GBS has done versions of all of them

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular

I have shocked face right now. How in frosty hell did I miss that?!

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    So the vigilante was effectively unstoppable? And got to choose it’s heir?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

38thDoe wrote: »

I got the vig and it had nothing listed about choosing an heir. So I'm guessing it just randomly went to another villager?

Lucky. If it went to someone else I might have survived to get voted out the next day.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Well, that was good fun. Having not played in ages, I felt like I didn't know what the hell was going on, but am glad my hunches led me towards Sir Fab.

That said, I needed to be more cautious, because after Phyphor bit it, I went straight I to trusting shalmelo. Not knowing mechanics very well, that could have gone poorly for me...

Primary reasoning for a never ending Vig was not wanting the game to keep going on too long. Longer game was bad for mafia so we wanted to ensure people kept getting shot.

The vig reassignment was based on whoever investigated/questioned the vig when they died. If no one did, it was random across the village.

Lol, that was stupid lucky then that I questioned the butcher the night they died. Wow

Locus will have a lot more thoughts he’ll share tomorrow, but our primary goal was to try to balance seers with giving the mafia a solid chance.

Started by giving 6 instead of the normal 5 for the player count. Then we added allowing them to take village actions in addition to mafia to try and hide them better. The hope was what 38th started with, got in a network and hid in sight while they looked elsewhere. It took the village a couple days to realize results could even be messed with, but the mafia just hadn’t been able to hit enough of the right people to throw suspicion elsewhere.

That, plus some just poor luck of Phyphor getting completely seen night one (role and faction).

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Thanks folks. Means a lot to me that you enjoy it. I had to record it on my phone and didn't have any time to edit the audio so I was worried it was going to sound like shit. Listening to it again I think it's fine.

I wanted to do something since I've grown up listening to these songs. Thank Jesus Murphy I didn't get Mari Mac. I think that would've gone too fast for me.

I hope you appreciate that I had to dox myself using Vimeo instead of Youtube because the video wouldn't upload there for some reason :P

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Also thanks all my mafia buds!

I think this was a real rough game for us, especially now that I know the Vig is heritable. I think we'd have to have played perfectly to come out on top. We did good, but not that good!
    And thanks so much to Locus and Austin for hosting. Really appreciate it!

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    Thanks @Locus and @AustinP0027 for hosting! I had fun!! I kind of liked people being worried I was SK and not Vig. Being a SK is fun, like in that one game.......*remembers blissfully* Ah...that was a fun game indeed.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    This was fun, looked like a rough game for the mafia, mechanics wise, considering standard village actions were being a seer.
    If I were to tweak things maybe extend the effects of plant evidence or another power for a night?
    I dunno, I'm bad at balancing.
    Everyone played a good game.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    MamaWolf wrote: »
    Thanks @Locus and @AustinP0027 for hosting! I had fun!! I kind of liked people being worried I was SK and not Vig. Being a SK is fun, like in that one game.......*remembers blissfully* Ah...that was a fun game indeed.

The 8 person soft reveal of being the vig was wild. I had no idea how to account for that.
    Didn't even think of it being a inheritable power.
    You made it a fun game, MamaWolf!

38thDoe was sketchy in thread, but there one thing that had caused me to ignore it, and I don't quite remember what it was. But good job covering for yourself, whatever it was!

VayBJ4e.png
  • LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    Thanks to everyone for playing!

And super duper thanks to @AustinP0027 for hosting with me. This would have been a disaster without him.

As usual I have a lot of thoughts about things, but they're saved on my computer at work so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    First time getting day 1 killed by a vig wooo

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Thanks for the game guys!

If I'm honest, realizing the entire village had partial seer powers was a bit of a blow. I knew that it would just be a matter of time before the village realized it and would get organized, and, despite our powers, I saw no clear path for us to avoid that, so I was never really able to shake the feeling that the game was over before it began. This, combined with the fact that no one saw fit to PM me or try and organize with me made me feel like I had no impact on the game. I didn't want to initiate PMs, because I was afraid that would draw unwanted attention on me, so I never really got any opportunities to engage in subterfuge. Because of that I ended up not being super invested, and making dumb mistakes like the proboard one posted above. Feels bad man. Sorry I wasn't that helpful mafia buds, I'll try to do better next game.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I mean, yeah, you can kill me for calling out Clockwork, but then I don't try to drive a bus over Obifett day 4, so you really need to weigh your options up

Thanks for the game guys.
    This phone is terrible though.

discrider wrote: »
    I mean, yeah, you can kill me for calling out Clockwork, but then I don't try to drive a bus over Obifett day 4, so you really need to weigh your options up

No no you got killed for being the only person to remember that grunts ghosts suspected romantic undead. Or at least to say so in thread.

But really we just had too many targets and not enough kills.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

discrider wrote: »

No no you got killed for being the only person to remember that grunts ghosts suspected romantic undead. Or at least to say so in thread.

He suspected both though so.. I would've had to think again about RU

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    JPants wrote: »

facepalm

I remember that post, and remember just accepting that must be the thread title.

Honestly if not for Sir Fab's ballad, which let's be honest is basically impossible to beat, that would be one of the best post-game revelations in years.

"I accidentally mentioned that my wife found out I was mafia in the thread and no one even noticed!?"

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    kime wrote: »

facepalm

I remember that post, and remember just accepting that must be the thread title.

Honestly if not for Sir Fab's ballad, which let's be honest is basically impossible to beat, that would be one of the best post-game revelations in years.

"I accidentally mentioned that my wife found out I was mafia in the thread and no one even noticed!?"

I saw the post and assumed it was based off the flavour in the role PM.
    Thought it was suspect that someone was paying so much attention to the vanillager PM

MamaWolf wrote: »
    Also, no hurt feelings for anyone I vigged this game. It's hard when you don't have proper seer results and got led by mafia network haha

Regardless, killing quiet people is good for the village generally, as it gives the mafia a harder time hiding.

.. And it's unfortunate, but I think in this game it would've been better for the village if the vig didn't vig.
    Just a shame we didn't realise it as quickly as the mafia seemed to :P

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    :bro:

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I feel like if the Vig had realized the ramifications of the villages powers and just never used theirs, there was zero chance for the mafia. As it is, we had Mamawolfs excellent aim to help us out. I don't think there was a realistic way for us to win. The math was against us. If there were neutrals or an SK maybe?

• Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    That was fun! Been a long time since I played, guess I should've been more active in the thread to avoid suspicion!

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
    Oh yeah.
    And both alignment and role on death were said to be accurate in the OP.
    The CDs appear to have been because the mafia needed help.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

facepalm

Honestly, at the time I just figured the host had changed the thread name since the event RU mentioned and I hadn't noticed.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Great game @Locus @AustinP0027
    The seer stuff really drove a lot of action to network and connect which was nice. 38th, you had me so hoodwinked that the day after I died I was actually afraid you were going to get voted out but was relieved when JPants swooped in to save you. Whoops, well I felt I was batting better than average overall that game though. To @H3Knuckles @Zombie Hero and @JPants it was great working with you.
    @MamaWolf you sure know how to pick groups, all five of us ended up being village!

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    @Locus @AustinP0027 The narrations were really well written, and the mechanic was interesting although I'd agree might need another balance pass. It was a neat idea to really push networking, maybe something to try in a two-mafia game? I really regret I wasn't able to invest more time in this because I feel like this was a game I could've contributed a lot to.

@JPants, I'm not still mad, but you couldn't wait one night to see the results of your own questioning to check me? :P Also why were you so convinced it was busdriving and not simply a disguise ability targeted at a given role (like our investigation ability)? That's why they knew what role to tell you, they never targeted a player, just picked a name off the dramatis personae.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    @Locus @AustinP0027 The narrations were really well written, and the mechanic was interesting although I'd agree might need another balance pass. It was a neat idea to really push networking, maybe something to try in a two-mafia game? I really regret I wasn't able to invest more time in this because I feel like this was a game I could've contributed a lot to.

@JPants, I'm not still mad, but you couldn't wait one night to see the results of your own questioning to check me? :P Also why were you so convinced it was busdriving and not simply a disguise ability targeted at a given role (like our investigation ability)? That's why they knew what role to tell you, they never targeted a player, just picked a name off the dramatis personae.

What can I say? Tunnel vision is a serious weakness of mine in this game. And I had suspected a mafia in the group from day 1s results, so confirmation bias. On top of that I had Sir Fab pegged as village most of the game.

I'm not sure how they used the disguise, but a mafia member could have appeared as the same villager the whole game long, with the only tell being a 50:50 guess between the two Penelopes.
    Assuming no m-vibes from sirfab that is.