As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The good, the bad and [The Mandalorian] OPEN SPOILERS

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Re: Tracking Fobs

I'm guessing they've decided to split up the tracking part of being a bounty hunter to a separate role within the guild. I'm guessing it goes like this:

- Someone puts a bounty on a person's head
    - Guild sends a tracker who finds them and places a tracking device on them
    - The tracking fob is sent back to the guild at which point the puck becomes available for hunting.

So they can put a tracking device on them but they can't just put a tiny bomb on them?

I bet we find out next episode that everyone's midichlorians emit a unique signature that can be felt through the force and the little fobs are attuned to that signal.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »

I'm guessing they've decided to split up the tracking part of being a bounty hunter to a separate role within the guild. I'm guessing it goes like this:

- The tracking fob is sent back to the guild at which point the puck becomes available for hunting.

So they can put a tracking device on them but they can't just put a tiny bomb on them?

I bet we find out next episode that everyone's midichlorians emit a unique signature that can be felt through the force and the little fobs are attuned to that signal.

Collateral damage?

Also, I guess there should always be the option to bring them in either warm or cold. I'm assuming these trackers aren't skilled enough to bring people in warm.

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular

Collateral damage?

Also, I guess there should always be the option to bring them in either warm or cold. I'm assuming these trackers aren't skilled enough to bring people in warm.

Why wouldn't you just work together simultaneously instead of making two separate trips after them? The process of finding these people and tagging them without getting murdered seems like the hard part, or are there just scores of these people being murdered in Cantinas.

"Hey you all seen Jeff the Pirate? I'm looking for him for...reasons." If you're skilled or intimidating enough to not get killed after that then you're probably in the clear. Or if you're infiltrating a secure compound, planting the device, and exfiltrating yourself, you're probably good enough to just stun them and leave WITH them. Or plant a bomb on them, leave a comlink behind and after you leave tell them to rendezvous at a point alone later or you'll detonate the bomb.

The hunting part of bounty hunting seems like the hardest part with an entire galaxy to hide out in. If you can do that you can probably finish the job.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Rewatching the first episode and I think the music may be my favorite thing about it. The Wild West angle is obvious, but they've got it mixed in so perfectly with spacey synth material. Not to mention that it's actually completely new music and not just more material spun off from the original John Williams score; they're really setting their own atmosphere here and on their own terms, but without dumping on the old material.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    So far this one episode of The Mandalorian has been better than all of the TLA-generation movies.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Mandalorian thoughts
    So we're dealing with at least three factions.
    The people who were guarding the infant.
    Herzog's crew: "alive or proof of death."
    Iggy's client wanted it dead.
    if the baby is a good guy, then the group guarding the baby were good guys, and we just watched the mandalorian wreck a whole barracks of good guys

Thats not necessarily true,
    Prisoners have people guarding them, too.

They need people to
    make sure the baby is kept away from bright light, never made wet and never, ever be fed after midnight.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    No, the most important thing, the objective which makes all others pale in comparison
    is to find a Mando tailor who can outfit bebe not-Yoda in full Mando armor.

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    No, the most important thing, the objective which makes all others pale in comparison
    is to find a Mando tailor who can outfit bebe not-Yoda in full Mando armor.
    Yoba Fett

• FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular

I am guessing the container had some signature the tracker was set to

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    General spoilery thoughts:
    - baby yoda, I don't get it. Like all of Yoda's race aren't force sensitive are they? If not, then it's just a baby yoda, unless it's a clone, in which case there's still no guarantee it's a full on force sensitive even as a clone unless we're actually coming back to midichlorians

- IG(by goes down) was awesome. That robot was baller and I've been wanting to see what a good IG88 would look like non animated. There's got to be more, I mean robots wouldn't care about credits, so likely there's a guy that just has an army of robots he sends out to get bounties right?

- The armor scene kind of really got to me, like the simplicity of "this is what's left of our culture" really hit hard.

- Could have done without the weird dino frog training montage.

- LOVED that an entire episode made no reference to the force, jedi, the rebellion, etc. It's just "this is the world post empire, kind of the same as it was before, but now stormtroopers can just be hired as private guards"

- for their flagship launch show the SFX weren't bad but it was on par with a good agents of shield imo. I was expecting a little more from a company with Disney's resources.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    General spoilery thoughts:
    - baby yoda, I don't get it. Like all of Yoda's race aren't force sensitive are they? If not, then it's just a baby yoda, unless it's a clone, in which case there's still no guarantee it's a full on force sensitive even as a clone unless we're actually coming back to midichlorians

- IG(by goes down) was awesome. That robot was baller and I've been wanting to see what a good IG88 would look like non animated. There's got to be more, I mean robots wouldn't care about credits, so likely there's a guy that just has an army of robots he sends out to get bounties right?

- The armor scene kind of really got to me, like the simplicity of "this is what's left of our culture" really hit hard.

- Could have done without the weird dino frog training montage.

- LOVED that an entire episode made no reference to the force, jedi, the rebellion, etc. It's just "this is the world post empire, kind of the same as it was before, but now stormtroopers can just be hired as private guards"

- for their flagship launch show the SFX weren't bad but it was on par with a good agents of shield imo. I was expecting a little more from a company with Disney's resources.

My understanding is that
    Yoda's species is exceptionally rare. So rare it doesnt even have a name. Something that rare would be quite valuable with or without force powers.

But the only two we have ever seen of the Yodas (Yodi?) were both on the Jedi council, so it is possible they are all force users.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    The droid designation their was IG11 and we see the same droid in the show splash image so
    I think it's pretty much guaranteed we're gonna see more of that droid model. Doesn't seem like it was a top-of-the-line model, either; it was pretty dumb for it to walk right up to the compound and announce itself, and it would've handily been pasted if the Mando hadn't been there.

I would expect we're going to see more advanced IG droids as the show progresses.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    One other thought:
    I wonder if they might be going with Whill for Yoda's species. It's been speculated for a while.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Episode 1 spoiler

Actually that's Yooda, he's luukes mentor.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    Loved the initial banter between the Mando & the droid - neat transition from 'taciturn gunslinger' to 'irritated, but more talkative' during the gunfight.

The droid being a bit prissy and wanting to talk about getting all of the reputation from the heist mid-gunfight was great, as was the continued insistence at activating the suicide protocol as well. This was great. Great exposition without beating it over anyone's head - Imperial Credits are on the way out, the Stormtroopers being twitchy and their gear being beat up was great, too. Loved the Mon Calamari flan. Money that squishes, ick.

Agree regarding the Blerb (sp?) training montage, but it was a pretty minor one in an otherwise well put together and well shot production. Looking forward to more!

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I think the training scene was important to establish culture as the motivator for this particular Mando. You got the ground work laid with the armor scene, but he flat out did not give a fuck about the fat t-rexes until the dude name dropped the old stories, then he was all business.

It shows his motivation, but also a vulnerability that can be pushed later to compel him to do something not in his own best interest.

• suprachromatsuprachromat Registered User regular
    What I'm wondering is if they're gonna go some sort of Yoda reincarnation route or if this is just another extremely rare individual of Yoda's species. Also, how the heck do they know about whoever this lil guy is anyway?

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Loved the initial banter between the Mando & the droid - neat transition from 'taciturn gunslinger' to 'irritated, but more talkative' during the gunfight.

The droid being a bit prissy and wanting to talk about getting all of the reputation from the heist mid-gunfight was great, as was the continued insistence at activating the suicide protocol as well. This was great. Great exposition without beating it over anyone's head - Imperial Credits are on the way out, the Stormtroopers being twitchy and their gear being beat up was great, too. Loved the Mon Calamari flan. Money that squishes, ick.

Agree regarding the Blerb (sp?) training montage, but it was a pretty minor one in an otherwise well put together and well shot production. Looking forward to more!

Blurrg!

This is actually not the first time that they've been shown, although obviously the first time in live-action. I kinda like that they used an existing thing instead of making something up.

There's also a pistol named after them in Battlefront 2. I remember it being OP as hell on launch.

Mvrck wrote: »
    I think the training scene was important to establish culture as the motivator for this particular Mando. You got the ground work laid with the armor scene, but he flat out did not give a fuck about the fat t-rexes until the dude name dropped the old stories, then he was all business.

It shows his motivation, but also a vulnerability that can be pushed later to compel him to do something not in his own best interest.
    Pretty sure that Mandalorian culture thing has already been used to trap him. He wouldn't even take Imperial credits, but an obvious Imperial with Stormtrooper guards waves beskar under his nose with the promise of more and the Mando jumps right in, no questions asked.

Timeline thought
    Baby "Yoda" was born about 50 years prior to us meeting him.

Around the same time as Anakin, I think.

Timeline thought

The literal same year. Which has to mean something

Timeline thought

Not doubting, but source/confirmation?

Makes me think of (Rebels spoilers)
    Luke/Leia and Ezra being born the same day.

Timeline thought

Not doubting, but source/confirmation?

Makes me think of (Rebels spoilers)
    Luke/Leia and Ezra being born the same day.

We've been told the show takes place 9ABY. Anakin was born 41 BBY or 50 years prior to the show. They state directly that the target is 50 years old.

• hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    First ten minutes: Hmm, yes, this Mando is a badass and I like it.
    Forge scene: “The excess will foster many foundlings.” “Good. I was a foundling.” [respect for Mando intensifies]
    Closing scene: The Mandalorian, without showing even the sliver of hesitation that would trips its sensors, straight up ices an IG-model assassin droid to save another foundling.
    I want. More of this show. Immediately. And also for many years to come.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular

Pretty sure that Mandalorian culture thing has already been used to trap him. He wouldn't even take Imperial credits, but an obvious Imperial with Stormtrooper guards waves beskar under his nose with the promise of more and the Mando jumps right in, no questions asked.
    I don't see the connection. Would you be looking to take CSA script in 1866? The empire is defunct, what could their credits be worth? Besker, now, that's a commodity with inherent value, beyond what Mando's cultural history has.

Krieghund wrote: »

I don't see the connection. Would you be looking to take CSA script in 1866? The empire is defunct, what could their credits be worth? Besker, now, that's a commodity with inherent value, beyond what Mando's cultural history has.
    yeah, Mando wasn't turning his nose up at imperial currency as some moral stand against the empire. It just isn't worth as much anymore and is probably consistently declining in value. That he took half the amount in a more stable valuable currency tells us that.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »

I think he's saying that the Mandalorian has already taken a job that will end up going poorly for him because of the promise of boatload of besker. I assumed that it was just because of the relative value initially as well but the armor forging scene that follows made it pretty clear to me it was the culture not the cash

edited November 2019
    So I know this a new show and all, but can we officially dispense with the spoilers here? I don't know if there's a particular rule for spoilers in the thread and new shows, I'm just wondering because it's obnoxious diving through all these spoilers when, presumably, we've all seen the show at this point. If we're going to spoiler stuff about the show we should probably spoiler things over in the Star Wars thread, not here in the actual thread for the show.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I don't mind no spoilers for anything that was aired, as long as we keep spoilers on things that are rumors or articles that give away things prior to the actual airing.

Do we know what time the new episode goes live on Friday? Would be nice to know when to check out until I get a chance to watch.

I don't mind no spoilers for anything that was aired, as long as we keep spoilers on things that are rumors or articles that give away things prior to the actual airing.

Yeah, I'm mostly asking so we can put something explicitly in the title so people know there's open spoilers in here. Obviously we need to figure it out before we start just chatting away with open spoilers.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Maybe "Open spoilers for aired eps "?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    The music was good, but during that end theme I kept expecting a child choir to start singing "Gonna fly now..." Total Rocky vibes :biggrin:

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The music was good, but during that end theme I kept expecting a child choir to start singing "Gonna fly now..." Total Rocky vibes :biggrin:

Oh good, it wasn't just me.

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    If anyone wants to see the end credit scenes a little touched up, reddit has them.

I'm guessing at some point, Disney is going to release them as posters because they are that good.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    Those are awesome.

That first poster
    seems like its showing the baby is force sensitive?

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Those are awesome.

That first poster
    I mean...
    First of all, no, stuff in Star Wars can just float. They have the technology. Like twelve things in this first episode were just floating for instance. But, yes, I think baby Yoda is presumably force sensitive. I imagine everyone isn't going nuts about the kid just because it's cute.

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Those are awesome.

That first poster
    There is no way the most protected species in all of the Star Wars genre isn't force sensitive.

Assuran on
    Based on every race in Star Wars is pigeonholed into what the audience's first impression is
    And the fact that all 3 Yodas seen to date were Jedi Masters, it's pretty safe to assume that baby will be able to train Jedi in 50ish years.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    First ten minutes: Hmm, yes, this Mando is a badass and I like it.
    Forge scene: “The excess will foster many foundlings.” “Good. I was a foundling.” [respect for Mando intensifies]
    Closing scene: The Mandalorian, without showing even the sliver of hesitation that would trips its sensors, straight up ices an IG-model assassin droid to save another foundling.
    I want. More of this show. Immediately. And also for many years to come.

Does that mean they're going to make
    a little Mandalorian helmet for the baby Yoda?

This discussion has been closed.