As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Posts Pertaining [Podcasts]

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Festo has jumped to the top of the rankings for NPC of the Year.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Unless Dr. Caspar Darling is somehow disqualified for not being rendered by in-game assets, everyone else is running for second place

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Oh, I'm talking Adventure Zone. I've really enjoyed these first two episodes, I think they've hit on something good here.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I certainly like new PutJ, but I also feel like 3 people is the sweet spot for comedy pods?

edit: oh shit today's is one of my jams

Oh damnit it's the other Fastball song, I always get them mixed up.

Also now realizing Ludo's Lake Pontchartrain probably took a lot of inspiration from The Way
    Oh wow someone else who's heard of Ludo. That's a rare sight.

That sure was a weird album right?

I haven't listened to that much of their stuff (and generally don't listen to albums as a whole), I just found that song through a twitch streamer and liked it a lot. But yeah, from what I've seen they seem to exist in the "weird, trying-to-be-too-clever indie rock" scene that I like quite a bit.

They have this one song that appears to be calling out "nice guys" before that was really a thing so that's weird.

I hate this but I also respect it.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Unless Dr. Caspar Darling is somehow disqualified for not being rendered by in-game assets, everyone else is running for second place

honk

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Nice guys were definitely a thing by 2008

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

My memory is that there wasn't really a name for it until the 2010's but maybe Im wrong.

Quire.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Parvati from Outer Worlds.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    The first time I heard of the concept of a nice guy was in the 1994 film The Mask staring Jim Carey.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

yeah don rickles was hella old by then

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    That song was also followed by this one which is well

this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kQ-0bBkMIY

Quire.jpg
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    the attitudes behind the "nice guy" label have been around for ages - just look at all the whiny rock songs from dudes entitled dudes. Hell, the Spin Doctors have 3 different friend zone anthems on the same dang album.

The term "nice guy" as a pejorative for people like that is harder to pin down I think.

I'd also be curious to see a history of songs mocking or calling out that sort of attitude

YaYa wrote: »

honk

https://youtu.be/4VjgwbXfwvc

Sprout wrote: »
    Oh, I'm talking Adventure Zone. I've really enjoyed these first two episodes, I think they've hit on something good here.

Oh, sorry!

I just assumed it was GOTY talk, because tis the season

YaYa wrote: »

honk

https://youtu.be/4VjgwbXfwvc

I'm not saying you stuttered, I'm saying you're wrong. :razz:

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Today's All Fantasy Everything has their (and Punch Up The Jam's) producer Marissa on and it's absolutely delightful

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Oh hell fucking yes

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream

According to an app I have you can find it on "Hoopla," which is a library app that lets you check out eBooks and stuff as well as movies, so that could be worth a look?

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular

According to an app I have you can find it on "Hoopla," which is a library app that lets you check out eBooks and stuff as well as movies, so that could be worth a look?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yICai9wwRl4

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    Dys wrote: »
    In today's TAZ: Graduation, Justin tries, and fails, to learn the values of capitalism

How has this season been so far, by the way?

I haven't started in listening to it yet.

You very literally didn't ask for my opinion, but this being the internet, I'm sharing it anyway:

Graduation is really fun! I think Travis has some places to improve as a DM and there were a few moments where he is a bit more antagonistic/"wacky" than necessary to his players- the Festo moment in particular, and basically in general with Griffin- but they still have good enough chemistry that it works around to some really funny bits. It also starts off with some surprisingly touching moments. The one major hiccup for me was the (spoiled for a character reveal, CW: Ableism)
    character Rainer who, at least initially, appears to be a screamingly ally-ified token character with a chronic illness- to the point that when none of the players bother to ask about her illness/magical mobility device (which, y'know, would be rude) she insists they ask. It was pretty jarring and smacked a lot of "Look, I added a character with a chronic illness!". Apparently it was based on a person Travis knows, who actually does this- I think it was just poor execution on the exchange, ultimately, and the character has developed and expanded so she isn't one dimensional. But in the moment, not great.

Travis has a great talent with the character voices and maintaining NPC conversations with one another, imo- they talk to one another for extended moments without needing player input, it makes them feel charming and alive. As for the players, they're all at the top of their game. None of the characters are too developed, so they and the audience get to learn about them more organically, but their premises are all just so good. I don't even want to spoil them- the Terrace House reveal of each one and the developments of what their backgrounds has been really good. But for people who are up to date with the second episode:
    I did not expect the Argo backstory bit to be true, and somehow it was actually affecting- the emotion that Clint is able to impart is pretty impressive. Also, Griffin basically playing an evil character is just delightful. He's starting to remind me of Ziggy Sobotka, from the Wire, complete with his own animal that he brings to the bar. I half expect Fitzroy to accidentally kill his familiar somehow. Firbolg (Firby? Bud? Justin's character) is great too. I was really not sure about the voice at first, but Justin is making sure to use it judiciously- which is both good for it to not wear thin and for it not to wear his voice out. Every scene he gets to feature is just very fun, he might be my actual favorite characters so far.

Hey my correction was on the Beastcast again!

Abby said they got a lot of that correction, but she picked mine, so that means we're basically best friends

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    One of my friends just won one of those Taco Bell xboxes

aGPmIBD.jpg
    He’s posting videos of it making the Taco Bell dong noises on Facebook. Everyone is losing their minds

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    He’s posting videos of it making the Taco Bell dong noises on Facebook. Everyone is losing their minds

Wait, it's an Xbox that makes the "dong" sound from the commercials on power-up?

Yup!

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Some people live blessed lives.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Star Wars Dark Souls

Monster Energy Estus Flask

it's a Dark Souls world

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Gustav wrote: »

Wait, it's an Xbox that makes the "dong" sound from the commercials on power-up?

It is the most fearsomely desirable consumer product ever devised

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Justin McElroy told Blank Check he’d be a guest for any episode, it doesn’t matter what movies he’s on for

So he’s on this week, for two more Jonathan Demme/Roger Corman movies, Citizens Band and Last Embrace

6F32U1X.png
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I spent about a week between Griffin Newman's character intro and picking the episode back up on CBB and I forgot it was him; like, what a crazy good fit that turned out to bE CLICKETY CLANK

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Hmm yes, yes I do hate it

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    interlagos today was: very good

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    A great way to liven up f1 is for 4 of the top 6 racers to take each other out

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    all i ask is that the top three teams make an effort to only crash into drivers who are also in the top three teams, prioritizing their teammate whenever possible

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    actually (interlagos)
    Bottas had like the platonic DNF in my book

mechanical failure caused by refusing to stop attacking an S-rank defense

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    My wife asked me if I was ready to go to sleep. I said no. Then I saw this headline, and changed my mind.

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Let that just go to show you,

It's never too late to announce your first opera.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
This discussion has been closed.