As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The good, the bad and [The Mandalorian] OPEN SPOILERS

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Also also, holy shit, they actually let these scenes breath. Almost the entire first half of this episode has no dialogue and it's great. Imagine that, writing that isn't just seeing how many quips you can throw at the viewer in five minutes.

I absolutely love how seemingly slow everything moves forward. Sure, there are action set pieces - but its not like they are trying to throw explosion and laser fire at you all the time.

That combined with the score is absolutely amazing. Oh, and Werner Herzog.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    So is this just an open spoiler thread now? I guess I should avoid it every Friday then since I'll be stuck at work and can't realistically watch until I get home. Should be advertised as such.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    So is this just an open spoiler thread now? I guess I should avoid it every Friday then since I'll be stuck at work and can't realistically watch until I get home. Should be advertised as such.

Yes. It was discussed a couple pages back and the general consensus was open spoilers for episodes that have aired. Spoilers for rumors or future speculation.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Simpsonia wrote: »

Yes. It was discussed a couple pages back and the general consensus was open spoilers for episodes that have aired. Spoilers for rumors or future speculation.

Paging @Harry Dresden please mark the thread as open spoilers for people who might not be able to read every post and blunder into spoilers like I did.

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Assuran wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Those are awesome.

That first poster
    seems like its showing the baby is force sensitive?
    There is no way the most protected species in all of the Star Wars genre isn't force sensitive.

That didn't take as long as even I expected.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    Also also, holy shit, they actually let these scenes breath. Almost the entire first half of this episode has no dialogue and it's great. Imagine that, writing that isn't just seeing how many quips you can throw at the viewer in five minutes.

I absolutely love how seemingly slow everything moves forward. Sure, there are action set pieces - but its not like they are trying to throw explosion and laser fire at you all the time.

That combined with the score is absolutely amazing. Oh, and Werner Herzog.

I want to them to take the score and pour into a tub of the posterized credit sequences so I can bathe in them. The score is fantastically unique while still clearly being evocative of the scores of Westerns, and the credits poster shots are simply fantastic.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I love the fact that in a world where you can hit a button to skip credits, they did something to encourage people to sit and watch them

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Really enjoyed the pacing and story of this episode. Felt like we were establishing important things without beating us over the head with it. And some of those shots my god Favereau still has quite the eye for scenery.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    Episode 1: 7/10
    Episode 2: 9/10. Man, I loved every second..

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
  • hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    I feel like I’ve watched entire episodes of other shows that didn’t have as much dramatic impact as the one-second scene in e2 of a helmeted Mandalorian looking at something -> reverse shot, he is looking at the tracking fob that fell out of a dead Trandoshan’s hand.
    Something between “So. That’s how it’s going to be.” and “How goddamn many clients are after this job!?” and it was all in the pacing of the cut, the movement of the helmet T against the Mando’s shoulders, and the music cue.
    The people, making this show. They are very, very good at what they do. How many sleeps until episode 3? And, okay, hear me out - if I just stop going to work or doing any of my adult responsibilities at all - how many sleeps is it then?

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    1 question: after the ambush, was he trying to mod the cradle to disable tracking?

I liked that these Jawas had red eyes, made them distinct from the ones we've seen before.

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    These episodes need to be longer than 30 minutes: I have spoken.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    If this doesn't get Filoni a movie or result in Favreau having more say in the SWU then I don't know what Disney is even doing.

Honestly whoever is behind the scripting of the latest game should have a place in the SWU as well.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    If this doesn't get Filoni a movie or result in Favreau having more say in the SWU then I don't know what Disney is even doing.

I think Disney knows they dropped the ball and need a road map thats why Feige and Favreau are involved in SW projects now.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    I mean I wouldn't sleep on Faverau who helped to kick off the juggernaut MCU. Especially if he's an involved in this project as the episodes seem to suggest.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Sidenote, who else is going to be tempted to start chanting Suuuuka! Suuuuka! when cooking?

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    That whole scene just made me laugh so hard. Just them being all excited he'd go get the egg, him being cramped in the crawler. It was that comedy that makes sense without being "ha ha wacky". I'd totally buy Jawas love the shit out of those eggs but can't normally get them because jawas so the fact they roped someone they hated into doing it to just give back his own stuff to him? Best day ever.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Means "bitch" in Polish (among other languages, but that's the one I speak) so it would be kinda weird.

• XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I've really really been enjoying the humor in this. Much preferred to the usual Star Wars slapstick.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    That whole scene just made me laugh so hard. Just them being all excited he'd go get the egg, him being cramped in the crawler. It was that comedy that makes sense without being "ha ha wacky". I'd totally buy Jawas love the shit out of those eggs but can't normally get them because jawas so the fact they roped someone they hated into doing it to just give back his own stuff to him? Best day ever.

Hypothesis: Jawas are little shits.

Theory: Jawas are little shits

Conclusion: Jawas are LITTLE SHITS

(I love them)

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    How was Ep 2 so damned good?!

Jesus. As someone who likes the Sequel Trilogy, I just want this to be Star Wars going forward. It's like a roleplaying session of Edge of the Empire brought to life!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I don't know if I would have been able to resist strafing the sandcrawler once I got my ship together. Kudos to Mando discipline.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Does anyone else get Conan the Barbarian vibes from this show?

• Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    I really hope there's Mando code for this situation.

"Why did you bail on this extremely profitable bounty that would've netted us more beskar than we've seen in years?"
    "Fuck the client. The bounty is a foundling. I'm adopting it."
    "Oh, definitely fuck the client. And congratulations! It's adorable. Whatever it is."

His interactions with the Ugnaught rancher seem to suggest that the Mandalorian is not without a degree of honor. At the very least, he seems like a character that pays his debts, and the fact that the baby potentially saved his life and enabled him to get his ship parts back is probably not lost on him. The only way I can see him willingly handing the baby over, is if he feels its life will not be threatened by the client.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

(I love them)

I laughed when the Mando just up and start disintegrating the little shits as fast as he could reload. But I completely lost it when they started throwing random trailer park junk at him. And then lost it again when he gets to the top and gets blasted by a half-dozen Jawas at the same time.

He's trying so damn hard to be a serious Mando and get his stuff back, but those damn Jawas just will not let him operate with any dignity.

Krieghund wrote: »
    I don't know if I would have been able to resist strafing the sandcrawler once I got my ship together. Kudos to Mando discipline.

I dont think his ship has weapon systems. None seem visible at least. It doesn't have a security system at any rate

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »

I dont think his ship has weapon systems. None seem visible at least. It doesn't have a security system at any rate

Hey, it could have had a security system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNG-xrnaSE4

Jawas are some sneaky shits.

(I love them)

I laughed when the Mando just up and start disintegrating the little shits as fast as he could reload. But I completely lost it when they started throwing random trailer park junk at him. And then lost it again when he gets to the top and gets blasted by a half-dozen Jawas at the same time.

He's trying so damn hard to be a serious Mando and get his stuff back, but those damn Jawas just will not let him operate with any dignity.

His little head shake over what they do with the egg too.

I'm really enjoying how the Mando is capable and badass... Without being one note about it.

(Also the timing on the Jawas up and blasting him was impeccable)

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Does anyone else get Conan the Barbarian vibes from this show?

Nah, its Man with No Name and Lone Wolf and Cub.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Theory and possible huge spoiler
    I don’t think it’s been mentioned but the Doctor from the first episode was wearing on his sleeve the symbol from Kamino. So if that is true then Baby Yoda is a clone of Yoda.

When I heard that it blew my mind as it’s such a deep cut.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s been mentioned but the Doctor from the first episode was wearing on his sleeve the symbol from Kamino. So if that is true then Baby Yoda is a clone of Yoda.

WHAT IF:
    Yoda is an age accelerated clone while Yiddle here is regular clone.

You might recall a line from the OT:

“No. There is another.”

We’ve been duped for 40 years!

Maybe.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular

WHAT IF:
    Yoda is an age accelerated clone while Yiddle here is regular clone.

You might recall a line from the OT:

“No. There is another.”

We’ve been duped for 40 years!

Maybe.

Yoda is over 800 years old. I think he says so in Empire, if I remember that correctly. So that theory doesn't work. (And I know you said that tongue in cheek).

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I really hope neither of those are true. They would really contract this expansion of the Galaxy.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Having cursed myself by reading this spoiler... I have to jump in now.
    It's more likely they want to make clones of baby Yoda, and make a force sensitive army. Hence wanting them alive or proof of death, so they get whatever they need to clone.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    I really hope neither of those are true. They would really contract this expansion of the Galaxy.

Not really
    Palpatine having more plans beyond his initial clone army makes sense. If his force conceived baby failed cloning the most powerful Jedi seems like a good back-up.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    God I can't stop thinking about
    BABY YODA OMG IT'S SO CUTE I WANT A PLUSHIE SO BAD I NEED IT

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    God I can't stop thinking about
    BABY YODA OMG IT'S SO CUTE I WANT A PLUSHIE SO BAD I NEED IT

Agreed, but only if it comes with a frog.

This discussion has been closed.