As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Gov. DeSantis Has Criminal Disregard For Florida Sports Fans

Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho HoDisconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
edited October 2020 in Debate and/or Discourse
John Kreese. Karate Kid. Get off my lawn!

Santa Claustrophobia on

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I mean, I know Browns-Steelers games get ugly, but wtf was that?!

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    It’s usually the Steelers teeing off and murdering a bunch of Browns players’ brains. Bad but not even a third as bad as the usual Bengals/Steelers games.

The Browns flipped that script last night even before the 3rd to last play of the game, and then Garrett “hold my beer”’d those Bengals/Steelers games.

The NFL should just cancel the AFC North

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    It was maximum browns. The game was already won and your team is the winner and you still manage to get a bunch of your team ejected/suspended/fined into oblivion on a WIN. Utter lack of discipline or even basic common sense.

The brownsest

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Man, I sure wish there was a sports website I could go to that would cover this sports story that seems like its on the fringe of expanding into non-sports related issues.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Stick to sprots!

• Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Looks like garret is getting an indefinite ban (rest of the season, has to appeal to commissioner before next season). Pouncey gets 3 games, Rudolph nothing, and Ogunjobi (the guy who randomly shoves rudolph down at the very end) gets 1 game.

I feel like nothing for Rudolph is maybe questionable, but the rest seems reasonable.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    Looks like garret is getting an indefinite ban (rest of the season, has to appeal to commissioner before next season). Pouncey gets 3 games, Rudolph nothing, and Ogunjobi (the guy who randomly shoves rudolph down at the very end) gets 1 game.

I feel like nothing for Rudolph is maybe questionable, but the rest seems reasonable.

In all likelihood, they probably took the end result and just decided that punishing Rudolph would send at least a partial message that what Garrett did in response was somehow provoked.

ie, An incident in a bar.
    Garrett bumps into Rudolph, spilling Rudolph's beer. Rudolph pushes Garrett. Garrett knifes Rudolph.

A fair prosecutor likely isn't going to charge Rudolph for his initial assault.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    MorganV wrote: »

In all likelihood, they probably took the end result and just decided that punishing Rudolph would send at least a partial message that what Garrett did in response was somehow provoked.

Garrett bumps into Rudolph, spilling Rudolph's beer. Rudolph pushes Garrett. Garrett knifes Rudolph.

Is there video of Rudolph pushing Garrett?

Santa Claustrophobia on
    Yes

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    meh the nhl has no problem punishing the instigator regardless of the outcome of the fight

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    So the argument for not punishing Rudolph is that he didn't have to do anything to escalate things and since he was stabbed anyway, Garrett carries sole blame?

In spite of the shitty analogy, Rudolph has clear responsibility. A court of law (league punishment) can use all means to render judgement. That the cops/bouncers/patrons (refs) didn't see Rudolph escalate the fight is immaterial. A prosecutor who doesn't take up the case is a shitty prosecutor.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Should be Garrett banned from the league, Pouncey a calendar year, Ogunjobi a game, Rudolph two games.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Remember when Gronk got one game for trying to murder someone.

admanb on

"Suspend Rudolph, help the Steelers."
    - Chris Wesseling is a podcaster and writer for NFL.com

I like this take. He's been riding Mason for a couple weeks now, and I don't think it's unjustified. That they're winning, has mostly been in spite of Rudolph, not because of him.

I see Rudolph as kinda Jameis-like. In that for every good thing he does, he does something backbreakingly bad.

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Rudolph kicked the whole thing off and tried to rip off Garrett’s helmet initially. I’m not saying Garrett shouldn’t be done for the season minimum but Rudolph absolutely should be getting some games, that’s bullshit.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    The official statement said that more punishments are going to be handed out. I'm expecting Rudolph to get a reprimand and a fine.

• DunderDunder Registered User regular

There is video of Rudolph trying to rip Garret's helmet off when they are both on the ground (grabbing at the neck edge and ripping forward towards the face), there is then video of Rudolph (on the ground still) doing his best to kick Garrett (in the groin as Garrett is now standing up). Then there is video of Rudolph trying to engage a third time with Garret while another Steeler player is trying to restrain Garret (this last part is when Garret swings Rudolph's helmet).

edited November 2019
    Rudolph was in full Grayson Allen mode there and in his post game comments

Fuck Garrett for taking the bait to that level though

Captain Inertia on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Dunder wrote: »

There is video of Rudolph trying to rip Garret's helmet off when they are both on the ground (grabbing at the neck edge and ripping forward towards the face), there is then video of Rudolph (on the ground still) doing his best to kick Garrett (in the groin as Garrett is now standing up). Then there is video of Rudolph trying to engage a third time with Garret while another Steeler player is trying to restrain Garret (this last part is when Garret swings Rudolph's helmet).

Do you have a link by any chance?

I don't doubt you but all the clips I'm finding are starting late into it.

Well, if nothing else comes out of this abhorrent incident, it does look like this might be the end of Vontaze Burfict's football career.

How, you may ask? In an article where Burfict discusses this incident, he says...

""I met Roger Goodell in New York and he was a total bitch," Vontaze Burfict told @VicTafur"
    *link to an Atlantic article*
    - Matt Schneidman is a Packers beat writer for the Atlantic

Yeah, that's gonna see him get reinstated.

he's not wrong tho...

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Dunder wrote: »

Do you have a link by any chance?

I don't doubt you but all the clips I'm finding are starting late into it.

Thread on SE has images that show this stuff if you hop over there.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

You rang?
    Tox wrote: »
    Rudolph went for Garrett's helmet first. When that didn't work because his linemen pulled Garrett off him, he kicked him in the groin.

oifuy1l1d3qq.jpg
    6mgkqkq696i9.jpg

Only after that did Garrett go back for Rudolph's helmet. And he didn't swing it until after Rudolph came at him AGAIN after his linemen were pushing Garrett away.

Garrett did something inexcusable, indefensible, and utterly disqualifying.

Rudolph is not remotely innocent and should be punished for instigating.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    So, the dicking of Kaepernik continues.

"Colin Kaepernick’s workout at the Falcons’ training facility at 3 pm is off; his workout now will be at another Atlanta location at 4 pm today. Here is the official announcement:"
    - Adam Schefter is an ESPN reporter by twitter.

So, let's do it...
    - on short notice (and deny an extension),
    - on a day that's unusual and will either not be attended by top ranked people in organizations or have those people unprepared for tomorrow,
    - deny media attendance and filming of*,
    - require an unusual waiver be signed,
    - give almost no time to consider (requirements for acknowledgments of attending were apparently hours, not days),
    - change the time and location hours before on the day of,
    - *reinstate media credentials hours before (and require them to essentially be pre-approved to attend), no knowledge on if the ban on filming remains.

This is just rampant ratfuckery.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

"Colin Kaepernick’s workout at the Falcons’ training facility at 3 pm is off; his workout now will be at another Atlanta location at 4 pm today. Here is the official announcement:"

So, let's do it...
    - on a day that's unusual and will either not be attended by top ranked people in organizations or have those people unprepared for tomorrow,
    - give almost no time to consider (requirements for acknowledgments of attending were apparently hours, not days),
    - *reinstate media credentials hours before (and require them to essentially be pre-approved to attend), no knowledge on if the ban on filming remains.

I heard on TV this morning that a video would be distributed to teams front offices, supposedly.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    RedTide wrote: »

So, let's do it...

I heard on TV this morning that a video would be distributed to teams front offices, supposedly.

I mean, I don't know if he's still got what it takes to be an NFL QB. Especially as a starter. And I don't expect an NFL team to give him a job as charity.

I just don't like him being dicked about by the NFL, because they were too cowardly to tell the President to fuck off, and let the whole "support the troops" storyline" become the dominant one.

And as I said in an earlier post, this was over. Done. They didn't need to give him another shot. But this "give with one hand, take with another" philosophy just stinks.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The amazing part is that they’re not even competent to pull off a blatant PR stunt.

apparently 8 teams showed up and watched kap throw bombs today

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

So, let's do it...

Who’s decision was it to move it? This makes it sound like the NFL, but their statement says it was his, that his team notified them at 2:30

LostNinja on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

You rang?
    Rudolph went for Garrett's helmet first. When that didn't work because his linemen pulled Garrett off him, he kicked him in the groin.

oifuy1l1d3qq.jpg
    6mgkqkq696i9.jpg

Only after that did Garrett go back for Rudolph's helmet. And he didn't swing it until after Rudolph came at him AGAIN after his linemen were pushing Garrett away.

Garrett did something inexcusable, indefensible, and utterly disqualifying.

Rudolph is not remotely innocent and should be punished for instigating.

Ok yeah my answer to this would be "You're both done for the season. And you better find some incredibly convincing reasons you get to even come back next season."

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    The Kaep thing just amazes me.

i think it was kap's decision, from my reading its cause the NFL wouldn't let the media be there or other cameras film it

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    Yeah. Kaep moved it to a high school so the media could film it. Eight teams showed up.

The NFL has stated they are dissapointed that Kaep failed to attend their not-sekrit gig that twenty five teams were at.

• ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    The waiver they wanted him to sign (forfeiting the right to sue the NFL for not signing him) makes me wonder if the league expects solid evidence of them colluding against him to come to light.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Doesnt he already have a case in the courts?

wbBv3fj.png
    edited November 2019
    they settled out i believe
    there was initially speculation that this workout was part of the terms of their settlement

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Yeah I think Kaep is kinda just being a dick here and using the NFL's habitual dickery to gain sympathy. The waiver thing was probably part of the settlement. The media can't normally film workouts, that is just Kaep wanting more PR. Teams don't schedule workouts months in advance, you get two days normally (Sun to Tues) and Kaep got extra if anything.

He was fine in the 15-20 min of the workout I watched but only fine. He missed a lot of guys, he was not that smooth on bootlegs, still has the arm strength etc. But it was a workout, not against a defense. It was not something that would wow me during training camp or a pro day.

Basically the point of the workout was seeing if teams wanted to bring him in. Some of that was the workout and most of it was everything else. If he was going to turn every coach's decision into a federal case, and if he was going to work to increase the amount of PR/media headaches, or not. What would he say in the private interviews?

My team doesn't need a 32 year old mobile backup who hasn't played on three years and was below average for three years before that. But if it did, a good coach wouldn't want him because this nonsense is going to go on and be encouraged because that's his moneymaker now. There are activist players in the league doing good work against white supremacy and there are even anti Trump, left leaning owners. But no team is going to want to deal with this circus

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    Better to sign that wife beater/child abuser/violent maniac.

Also, any other QB who hasn't taken a single competitive snap in a decade.

This discussion has been closed.