As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spaceflight & Exploration] Thread

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    Is that Starlink thing goal to make a grid around the globe? And are they being filmed through a regular camera or a telescope of some sort ?

They are being filmed shortly after launch before they've had time to spread to an operative distance from each other.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Oh my fucking god! My tiny chimpanzee mind is losing its shit at these moving lights in the sky!!1"

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    People freaked about how the previous launch Destroyed The Sky Forever too, but once they'd dispersed in their proper orbits they were unnoticable.

• Options
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    People freaked about how the previous launch Destroyed The Sky Forever too, but once they'd dispersed in their proper orbits they were unnoticable.

I mean, I assumed it was fine, but just because I haven't read anything about it doesn't mean they aren't still an issue, just that it isn't a flashy as it was in the first ~48 hours.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    "Oh my fucking god! My tiny chimpanzee mind is losing its shit at these moving lights in the sky!!1"
    Yeah, I probably should have put a warning on that video about the narrator being just a little bit over-enthusiastic and/or annoying. :)

• Options
    edited November 2019
    I think some of it may be a case of "streamer has exaggerated persona to attract viewers and clicks", but I don't watch the guy on the regular, so *shrug*

(I tend not to like that sort. I'm more of a "look, dude, I'm here for the content and maybe your intelligent, informed, and preferably unobtrusive commentary" viewer... which makes me basically the antithesis of modern YouTube, I suppose.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I think some of it may be a case of "streamer has exaggerated persona to attract viewers and clicks", but I don't watch the guy on the regular, so *shrug*

(I tend not to like that sort. I'm more of a "look, dude, I'm here for the content and maybe your intelligent, informed, and preferably unobtrusive commentary" viewer... which makes me basically the antithesis of modern YouTube, I suppose.)

Hey now, the good stuff is still out there, you just have to train the algorithm to bring it to you. Start by clicking ‘not interested’ on everything on the default home page.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I've been on the internet since before Google or YouTube existed. Like the song says, "if you don't know me by now..."

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular

Thats me, with a straight face, I swear to god, if I see moving lights like that in the sky, Ill throw rocks at them.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

Do we know what the timeline is for the Max Q abort test is?

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

23rd apparently.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I enjoy that they aren't just doing an abort test, they're doing a catastrophic-worst-possible-scenario abort test on the general grounds of "if that works anything gentler should work."

Like a success will still involve a mostly-full first stage going full confettiboom.

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »

23rd apparently.

Fuck yes. I assumed we'd be waiting for months.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    They're not actually going to explode the first stage are they?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options

Intentionally? No. Is it going to explode. Almost certainly.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

The Dragon is going to breath it's fire breath and make things go BOOM

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »

The Dragon is going to breath it's fire breath and make things go BOOM

I mean, even w/o the super draco engines firing, I expect having the top open like that at Max Q would wreck just about anything.

• Options
    When you light off a rocket on top of another rocket, that still has some fuel in it, it's not good for the other rocket.
    Particularly when you do this at "maximum aerodynamic stress", and in addition to all the fire, you're also taking the streamlining off the stack.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Well then. I shall ready the popcorn.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Put it this way, I expect it to be very kerbal.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    In other Kerbal news, SpaceX did its planned pressure test today to push the tanks to the max, and... well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P98JcBQPiiI

SpaceX has already put out some info that the decision to not fly the Mark1 had been made anyway. Whether or not that's true, who knows! It's not supposed to be a big setback, though, as eyes already turn to the Mk2 and Mk3 versions being built.

The unfortunate part of all this is that we're going to have to wait even longer to see another version of one of these things fly. Not for a couple months at least, I'd guess.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Space is hard. I've said this many times because it's true.

But at the same time, looking at that shiny tube exploding and then seeing that badly rendered truck thing that shatters when someone tosses a baseball against it and then the last few years of stupid shit Elon Musk has been doing...there is a part of me, louder and louder, that's saying "Spruce Goose."

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    It wasn't a baseball it was a 1kg steel ball bearing in an ill conceived stunt gone wrong. I'd be careful of trying to draw too many parallels (beyond perhaps a shortfall of caution) between the separate projects it's not just Musk working on these things.

The build quality has been improving since the hopper so hopefully v3 looks a little more polished and I'm still hoping the other Florida prototype does a flight or two because that'll be exciting seeing more than one Raptor operating and something that large landing (or just hitting the ground).

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    It's cool how they're cutting down the cost of space travel, but the ship's aesthetics aren't amazing. It's no space shuttle.

• Options
    Musk is clearly cutting costs wherever he can. Look at how few polygons he used for his truck.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I kind of like the truck tho.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

But at the same time, looking at that shiny tube exploding and then seeing that badly rendered truck thing that shatters when someone tosses a baseball against it and then the last few years of stupid shit Elon Musk has been doing...there is a part of me, louder and louder, that's saying "Spruce Goose."

I seem to remember people saying the same kinds of things about reusable boosters.

I don't think SpaceX would be doing this unless the engineers thought it could be done. And SpaceX is unlikely to give up until the theory can be made into practice. Their future plans - like Starlink - kind of rely upon the immense lifting power of Starship in order to be completed in a decent timeframe.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

Frankly the two have nothing to do with each other and equating them is at best pretty intellectually dishonest.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I will 1000% back the guy who is willing to take reasonable risks on unprecedented ideas over ossified crap that we've seen a million times before. We could only be so lucky to have ten times as many billionaires willing to try outlandish shit with their business enterprises instead of using their money to fuck over the poor.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    The failure rate on first prototype tests for spacecraft is REALLY high. Aggregate if all failures is basically 100% (if the first test passes they even repeat it more than if it passes after revisions), and explosive failures are north of 50%. This is SpaceX's third explosive failure this year.

• Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    The failure rate on first prototype tests for spacecraft is REALLY high. Aggregate if all failures is basically 100% (if the first test passes they even repeat it more than if it passes after revisions), and explosive failures are north of 50%. This is SpaceX's third explosive failure this year.

If you ain't Kerballing, you ain't trying.

• Options
    Where do people go to check upcoming launch manifests? At least those in the US? I assume they have to be pretty rigorously scheduled?

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy8ZPEWsWhQ
    NDGT talks to Christina Koch and Jessica Meir onboard the ISS. (~21mins).
    Where do people go to check upcoming launch manifests? At least those in the US? I assume they have to be pretty rigorously scheduled?
    I use: https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/

• Options
    Interesting, the in-flight abort doesn't seem to be labeled, but from what I've read they are still hoping to do that some time this year.

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »

THE FUTURE, where talking to the people on the space station is just, like, a thing.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Zilla360 wrote: »

THE FUTURE, where talking to the people on the space station is just, like, a thing.

Car Talk - My Government Vehicle Shakes at 17,500 MPH (5:38)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moAqzM4ptm8

Tynnan on
  • Options
    Another successful CRS flight for Dragon. Space Truckin'!

• Options
    Was this the third use dragon capsule?

• Options
    Was this the third use dragon capsule?
    You're thinking of CRS-18 from July, I believe.

AFAIK CRS-19 (today's launch) is a new capsule.

This discussion has been closed.