As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    That being said, I should rewatch Buffy again...

I never got into it because my first existing to it was this guy who was really into it but he was also really obnoxious in a lot of ways and i refused to watch it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The basic premise of You're the Worst is that Jimmy and Gretchen are total garbage people who meet and begin a relationship. It's not really Friends, because it's more serialized and is specifically focused on that central relationship, though it does have a regular gang who have their own stories and throughlines.

The tone is a bit like Always Sunny, but it tones down the relentless nihilism with legit human development, and the show clearly has great affection for its characters. At the same time, there are a lot of Bojack moments where it fucking rips out your heart.

The whole thing is on Hulu now, give it two or three episodes.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    emnmnme wrote: »

I never did dent a car with a flying side kick, however I did have a couple of Mr. T shirts and while studying karate I eventually had the honor of having my balls destroyed by a man in his early 70s.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The final season of You're the Worst finally dropped on Hulu, and I binged through it in like two days. It's a fantastic final season to a fantastic show, and the last episode is one of the best series finales I've ever seen, in that it just perfectly encapsulates the themes of the show, who the characters are, and where they should logically end up.

Except now I'm out of new episodes and I'm sad.

This show sounds like the anti-Friends. Is that accurate? Less sitcom, more real. Still funny.

I'm looking for another show to watch with my wife since we're at the end of Brooklyn 99.

It's much better than either Friends or Brooklyn 99, but I would bet you would know if it's for you two after the first episode.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Is there a site that I can use to see if a movie is available on all the hundred of streaming services?

My Roku will do that for me.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2019
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    The final season of You're the Worst finally dropped on Hulu, and I binged through it in like two days. It's a fantastic final season to a fantastic show, and the last episode is one of the best series finales I've ever seen, in that it just perfectly encapsulates the themes of the show, who the characters are, and where they should logically end up.

This show sounds like the anti-Friends. Is that accurate? Less sitcom, more real. Still funny.

I'm looking for another show to watch with my wife since we're at the end of Brooklyn 99.

It's much better than either Friends or Brooklyn 99, but I would bet you would know if it's for you two after the first episode.

I wouldn't say it's necessarily better (I mean, okay, it's better than Friends), so much as it's a completely different vibe. B99 is excellent at what it's trying to do, which is be a hilarious and fairly clever ensemble comedy full of lovable characters. YtW is going for something completely different and ultimately deeper, but it scratches a very different itch.

I love both shows, but in very different ways.

But yeah, nobody with Hulu has any excuse not to try it. The pilot is quite good.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    You guys sold the fuck out of it to me. I'll watch the first few episodes to see if my wife would enjoy it but it sounds right up my alley.

In other news I just watched One Cut Of The Dead on Shudder and it's probably the most fun I've had in a movie in a long time. If you have Shudder you owe it to yourself to watch it.... Oh and go in blind and watch past the credits. Anything else I say could spoil it.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    How do Disney+ logins work with Hulu? My D+ credentials get me into the D+ and ESPN+ apps but Hulu isn't recognizing them.

Edit: yes, paying for the bundle and trying to login on the various Xbox apps

Carpy on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Wait, so does D+ also give you ESPN+?

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Wait, so does D+ also give you ESPN+?

The better tier of it does.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Before you make the jump to the higher tier you should look up what streams on ESPN+. My parents are super into 3 or 4 different sports and were disappointed with the options on it.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

I never got into it because my first existing to it was this guy who was really into it but he was also really obnoxious in a lot of ways and i refused to watch it.

I highly recommend giving it another go. If you get to the end of Season 2 and don't love it, then you can quit. Season 1 is kind of rough footing, but Season 2 and Season 3 were some of my favorite TV growing up.

• Options

I wouldn't say it's necessarily better (I mean, okay, it's better than Friends), so much as it's a completely different vibe. B99 is excellent at what it's trying to do, which is be a hilarious and fairly clever ensemble comedy full of lovable characters. YtW is going for something completely different and ultimately deeper, but it scratches a very different itch.

I love both shows, but in very different ways.

But yeah, nobody with Hulu has any excuse not to try it. The pilot is quite good.

That's fair, I think that YtW is just reaching for something much more meaningful and succeeds it's better. I do like B99 a lot, though.

Friends is eh to me.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    K-On! seasons 1 & 2 and the movie are up on Netflix.

Really nice fun charming slice of life animoo, 3rd best animoo ever behind Wagnaria and One Piece, Mugi best girl kawaii desu.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

Really nice fun charming slice of life animoo, 3rd best animoo ever behind Wagnaria and One Piece, Mugi best girl kawaii desu.

What?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

I dismissed it when it first started because it sounded like "girly crap". And then me and my brother accidentally watched an episode because we didn't know what show it was and then we were hooked.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Buffy starts to wander too far off the rails for me to finish the series, I don't think I've ever seen the end.

Angel has its infamously bad S4 (it's not the whole season that's terrible, the big arc is aggravating though), but even that sets it up for its incredibly awesome S5.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I think Buffy Season 4 is a little weird and well, bad as well. Riley and his arc is written poorly and the big bad is more boring than anything else the show offered so far. "Hush" from Season 4 is a standout episode though. Season 5 is super good however and has the best (most critically acclaimed) episode of the series with "The Body". I think season 6 is awesome because of Willow's arc and "Once More With Feeling", but again isn't written very well. Season 7 is a satisfying ending to the whole thing since it's balls to the wall kind of crazy.

I honestly don't remember finishing Angel, probably because of S4. First few seasons were good though.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

What?

It's like the prototypical cute anime girls doing cute things anime.

In other news, I guess I totally missed that they're doing another season of Saiki K! It's the best and it's on Netflix. Y'all should check it out. It takes a few episodes to get like, used to the rhythm of the comedy, I think, but it's soooo good once you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbw7QB6nrTc

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Buffy starts to wander too far off the rails for me to finish the series, I don't think I've ever seen the end.

Angel has its infamously bad S4 (it's not the whole season that's terrible, the big arc is aggravating though), but even that sets it up for its incredibly awesome S5.

Angel S4 is really good for the most part I think. A ton of strong episodes, especially at the start and at the very end. It just kinda wallows a bit in the middle of the season. Carpenter's unexpected pregnancy was apparently a big problem for what they had planned and caused problems.

Buffy loses it's way as soon as they remove it from the high school setting. I think they could have made college Buffy work and S4, for all it's faults (some again caused by cast issues they couldn't have anticipated), showed how that would have worked just fine. But they kinda just decide to abandon the whole structure and I think it really weakens the later seasons.

Overall it's still good to really good for the most part but it never gets that magic back it had in like S2 and S3.

shryke on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

What?

In other news, I guess I totally missed that they're doing another season of Saiki K! It's the best and it's on Netflix. Y'all should check it out. It takes a few episodes to get like, used to the rhythm of the comedy, I think, but it's soooo good once you do.

Wait are doing or have done? This is an important distinction.

Also yes Saiki K is a lot of fun and frequently laugh out loud funny.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

What?

Comes out December 30th worldwide, so are doing?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Angel S4 is really good for the most part I think. A ton of strong episodes, especially at the start and at the very end. It just kinda wallows a bit in the middle of the season. Carpenter's unexpected pregnancy was apparently a big problem for what they had planned and caused problems.

Buffy loses it's way as soon as they remove it from the high school setting. I think they could have made college Buffy work and S4, for all it's faults (some again caused by cast issues they couldn't have anticipated), showed how that would have worked just fine. But they kinda just decide to abandon the whole structure and I think it really weakens the later seasons.

Overall it's still good to really good for the most part but it never gets that magic back it had in like S2 and S3.

S4 Angel is not a problem for me personally. It veers into some dumb stuff but it's easy enough to just skip some episodes and even then, the way they use the downturn of S4 to make the big shift over to S5 is pretty great to me. Things being so bad is such an excellent way to get everyone to make a deal with the devil and is pretty great for setting up S5's question of whether these good guys really even are good guys anymore.

• Options
    Finally saw T3 today and while it wasn't completely awful it just wasn't any good. Many of the fight scenes dragged on for too long. John and the girl (Kate?) just didn't have any charisma. The TX wasn't too interesting. I felt like the T1000 had some personality but that could be my personal bias since T2 was the quintessential sci-fi movie.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    The T1000 projected creepy unfeeling scary machine.

Anything after him didn't project anything or Apple worker.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

What?

Comes out December 30th worldwide, so are doing?

Thanks, couldn't easily watch videos ady work.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Also added today on Netflix is a another season of The Toys That Made Us, which includes the far classier toy line ups of Power Rangers and Ninja Turtles.

And on Amazon Prime they added:

-Creed II
    -Thor 1
    -Avengers 1
    -Captain America 1

• Options
    Holy shit Prime added Samurai Cop! All I remember about the movie was that the cover was awesome but not much else.... I might have to watch it!

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Finally started watching season two of Jack Ryan.

I'm going to start betting now on who gets to say, "I think we can help each other, Jack" in episode 3. Maybe they can work it in once each episode the entire season.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Holy shit Prime added Samurai Cop! All I remember about the movie was that the cover was awesome but not much else.... I might have to watch it!

Wasn’t the Rifftrax already up? I could swear I watched it on Prime

• Options

I'm not sure. I thought Rifftrax was something similar to Mystery Science Theater so I haven't clicked on it. Is it the actual full movie?

In any case I started Samurai Cop but turned it off 20 minutes into it. I'm going to have to watch this with alcohol and a friend because it's so bad it's good!

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

I'm not sure. I thought Rifftrax was something similar to Mystery Science Theater so I haven't clicked on it. Is it the actual full movie?

In any case I started Samurai Cop but turned it off 20 minutes into it. I'm going to have to watch this with alcohol and a friend because it's so bad it's good!

Yeah it’s the MST guys from the last few seasons. They did the whole movie.

• Options

Yeah it’s the MST guys from the last few seasons. They did the whole movie.

Oh that's awesome! I was looking for the non-MST version but it might be better to watch Rifftrax for it, honestly lol.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Finally started watching season two of Jack Ryan.

I'm going to start betting now on who gets to say, "I think we can help each other, Jack" in episode 3. Maybe they can work it in once each episode the entire season.

After a disheartening absence in episode 3, I am very pleased that Jim Greer just got to tell someone, "I think we might be able to help each other out" in episode 4.

Granted, it wasn't being said to Jack for once, but I'm going to call it close enough.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Didn't realize the pilot episode for Hazbin Hotel came out. It's phenomenal. Gorgeous animation, original, detailed design, beautiful voicework and songs.

And since it's an entirely indie production right now, future episodes will take sometime between forever and never to come out. But even the one episode is a fantastic treat.

Highly recommend checking it out if you haven't seen it. Make sure kids aren't in the room though because it is definitely adult oriented.

https://youtu.be/Zlmswo0S0e0

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    Didn't realize the pilot episode for Hazbin Hotel came out. It's phenomenal. Gorgeous animation, original, detailed design, beautiful voicework and songs.

And since it's an entirely indie production right now, future episodes will take sometime between forever and never to come out. But even the one episode is a fantastic treat.

Highly recommend checking it out if you haven't seen it. Make sure kids aren't in the room though because it is definitely adult oriented.

Welcome to two weeks ago Quid, gawd

• Options
    (also yes it's great)

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Everything I see is new.

I am never behind the times.

Let me tell you about this hip new singer called Mika.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »

Wow that's beautiful looking!

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm really hoping that Hazbin gets picked up by HBO. Most other scenario would come with a lot of tweaks.

This discussion has been closed.