As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

QUILTBAG: It’s Pride Time

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I don't even really think of mine as a dead-name really, any more. My mother and I came to an agreement, and my legal name (for close to ten years now) is the one she says she would have picked for a daughter anyhow. :)
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    There are names where the gender is not immediately apparent (like Max or Sam), but I don't know of any that are specifically NB.
    What about 'Riley', for one example?

https://nameberry.com/unisex-names

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    So this is kind of embarrassing, but my speech therapist published the "success story" that features me. I'm a little nervous, having my picture and voice samples out there, but maybe it'll help people who are where I was.

https://musservoice.com/success-stories/

A weird voice in me says this'll somehow get me outed. I mean I'm not sure I'm very recognizable really, but who in my actual life who doesn't already know is going to end up at a website for trans women voice work?

Also there's that thing where I'm basically about to tell everyone anyway and no longer care if I'm somehow outed now.

Anyway! Listening to those samples gave me some pretty heavy feels. Getting lost in the incremental improvements, it's easy to feel like it's not really changing much or sounding very good. But then I hear them in sequence, and like...

I worried I'd feel dysphoric hearing the old voice, but honestly the glee from really hearing the notable changes way overrode that.

For the first time in my life, I like hearing my voice played back to me. I always just assumed it was the thing where everyone hates how they sound recorded. And I mean, there's a bit of that, but it's mostly really good feels. It tells me just how much unrecognized dysphoria there always was with my voice.

Life is good sometimes!

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Holy shit good job @The Sauce

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Got a surgery consultation booked for February. Earliest I could get, despite going private. Now have 3 months to work out how I'm going to pay for it. Estimated wait time for surgery after consultation is 8-12 weeks so if I'm lucky I could be spending my birthday in May recovering from major surgery. Sounds fun.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Hey at least it is the good kind of surgery rather than the "oh god an organ exploded" kind

CYpGAPn.png
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Look at this one over here, claiming spontaneous organ explosion isn't fun!

Pssh.
    psssh

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    As a previous spontaneous organ exploder, I would rate that experience a negative five thousand out of 10 on the fun scale.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I'm honestly kind of impressed by that time frame because I'm currently dealing with 3 and 4 month waits just for a basic allergy screen and a therapist because America

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    That is really cute!

I do however dislike greatly the concept that we were ever our assigned birth genders.

I was never a guy I just played a really bad one in other people's lives for awhile.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    The Sauce wrote: »
    So this is kind of embarrassing, but my speech therapist published the "success story" that features me. I'm a little nervous, having my picture and voice samples out there, but maybe it'll help people who are where I was.

A weird voice in me says this'll somehow get me outed. I mean I'm not sure I'm very recognizable really, but who in my actual life who doesn't already know is going to end up at a website for trans women voice work?

Also there's that thing where I'm basically about to tell everyone anyway and no longer care if I'm somehow outed now.

Anyway! Listening to those samples gave me some pretty heavy feels. Getting lost in the incremental improvements, it's easy to feel like it's not really changing much or sounding very good. But then I hear them in sequence, and like...

I worried I'd feel dysphoric hearing the old voice, but honestly the glee from really hearing the notable changes way overrode that.

For the first time in my life, I like hearing my voice played back to me. I always just assumed it was the thing where everyone hates how they sound recorded. And I mean, there's a bit of that, but it's mostly really good feels. It tells me just how much unrecognized dysphoria there always was with my voice.

Life is good sometimes!

You have a beautiful voice!

I'm always amazed to hear these before and after samples when people share them. The difference is astonishing and it gives me hope that I might be able to do something similar with my voice someday. There are a few things that are really important to me and voice is right up there at the top. I think I experience more dysphoria over my voice than almost anything else and I've never liked the way mine sounds.

Poketpixie on
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    The Sauce wrote: »

Life is good sometimes!

You have a beautiful voice!

I'm always amazed to hear these before and after samples when people share them. The difference is astonishing and it gives me hope that I might be able to do something similar with my voice someday. There are a few things that are really important to me and voice is right up there at the top. I think I experience more dysphoria over my voice than almost anything else and I've never liked the way mine sounds.
    Aww, thank you! ^_^

You can definitely do it :) It's a lot of work, but if you're really motivated to make the changes, they can happen.

Of course it's not exactly cheap; that financial burden can be a lot to climb over. If that's your current impediment, I wish you the best in overcoming it. It's infuriating that this stuff isn't just straight-up covered by insurance (or, you know, single-fucking-payer). But I digress.

With this particular therapist, I bought the intake + 1 and then two sets of 5 sessions. I only really needed around 7 of those 10 additional sessions, so I've been using the rest as "tune-ups" to try to keep my voice in shape. YMMV, everyone has different speeds.

Also! Don't compare any progress you're making against those samples. I recorded like a dozen or two until I got ones that I really liked (for the current voice). It's not that the other samples were bad or anything, but those are basically the best I can possibly do right now. I was a little torn on whether I should do that, but since I'm not full-time yet, it's easy for some aspects to slip as I'm switching back and forth.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    hillary clinton now doubling down on exclusionary rhetoric. you hate to see it

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    hillary clinton now doubling down on exclusionary rhetoric. you hate to see it

Context?

I honestly have been actively working to not follow whatever she has been doing.

fuck gendered marketing
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    https://www.out.com/politics/2019/11/13/hillary-clinton-says-trans-issues-pose-legitimate-concern-women
    The former Secretary of State stopped by BBC Radio 4 on Tuesday to promote The Book of Gutsy Women, a profile of 100 extraordinary women co-authored with daughter Chelsea. After the Clintons sparred over transgender rights in an October interview with the U.K. newspaper The Sunday Times, in which the former stateswoman said we must be “sensitive” to transphobia.

Clinton returned to the same line of argument yesterday, urging patience for those who are still “trying to sort it out.”

“I do think there is a legitimate concern about women’s lived experience and the importance of recognizing that, and also the importance of recognizing the self-identification [of transgender people],” she said. “This is all relatively new. People are still trying to find the language for it.”

“I think in the right mindset this can be understood,” the 2016 presidential candidate added, “but it’s going to take some time.”

The comments are fairly interchangeable with last month’s remarks, in which Clinton referred to trans rights as a “very big generational discussion” and claimed the subject wasn’t “something [she] grew up with or ever saw.”

When Sunday Times reporter Decca Aitkenhead asserted that there are women from earlier generations who may be uncomfortable sharing a locker room or dressing room with a transgender woman, the 72-year-old was said to have nodded vigorously in response.

“I would say that, absolutely,” she said. “Absolutely. Yes.”

Clinton’s comments have been a boon to conservatives who have used them to exploit a wedge between trans-affirming progressives and gender-critical segments of the left. The right-wing news site Washington Times called the backlash to her Sunday Times interview “unhinged” and a “completely understandable perspective, particularly for a woman of her generation.”

liEt3nH.png
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    always paid the proper lip service in the past, makes you wonder how many other 'progressive' public figures would throw you under the bus if there's money in it

Grog on
  • MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Grog wrote: »
    always paid the proper lip service in the past, makes you wonder how many other 'progressive' public figures would throw you under the bus if there's money in it

The easy answer is (nearly) all of them.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    at the risk of starting a huge debate i would not say that i have ever considered her a progressive figure

liEt3nH.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Seidkona wrote: »
    That is really cute!

I do however dislike greatly the concept that we were ever our assigned birth genders.

I was never a guy I just played a really bad one in other people's lives for awhile.
    This is legit, but keep in mind that some people do frame their personal transitions that way.

It is annoying that cis-written narratives have it ONLY go that way, however.

YL9WnCY.png
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Got a surgery consultation booked for February. Earliest I could get, despite going private. Now have 3 months to work out how I'm going to pay for it. Estimated wait time for surgery after consultation is 8-12 weeks so if I'm lucky I could be spending my birthday in May recovering from major surgery. Sounds fun.

tbh it actually was relatively fun for me
    lots of drugs, took a month off work and just played league all day and watched tv
    went clothing shopping two days after surgery like with my drains still in and high as balls, that was a bad idea but I really wanted new shirts and my ex was at work so he couldn't stop me from walking to the thrift store and collapsing when I got back
    good luck getting your appointments, payment methods, etc!
    I got deadnamed by both my parents last week. My mum's only recently become consistent with it anyway but it's been months since my dad used my old name so that was a weird thing to hear come out of nowhere.

hm yes I met up with my parents for the first time after I cut them off for about 8 months and within the first 5 minutes my mom misgendered me and then was really defensive about it
    she has been trying so hard to see me and she can't keep focused enough to avoid misgendering me? Most people don't even use someone's pronouns when they talk to them, so it's really amazing that she manages not only to do so but to use the wrong ones every conversation

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
    ^^^ This post has highs and lows, so please consider the Awesome to be strictly regarding the highs (especially the literal one).

edited November 2019
    Sterica wrote: »
    Seidkona wrote: »
    That is really cute!

This is legit, but keep in mind that some people do frame their personal transitions that way.

It is annoying that cis-written narratives have it ONLY go that way, however.

Oh yeah. It's just that I dislike it when it comes externally from cis people.

Other trans people should frame their transition however they want and I will back them up on it no matter. The transition process is unique for all of us :heartbeat:

Seidkona on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    https://www.out.com/politics/2019/11/13/hillary-clinton-says-trans-issues-pose-legitimate-concern-women
    The former Secretary of State stopped by BBC Radio 4 on Tuesday to promote The Book of Gutsy Women, a profile of 100 extraordinary women co-authored with daughter Chelsea. After the Clintons sparred over transgender rights in an October interview with the U.K. newspaper The Sunday Times, in which the former stateswoman said we must be “sensitive” to transphobia.

Clinton returned to the same line of argument yesterday, urging patience for those who are still “trying to sort it out.”

“I do think there is a legitimate concern about women’s lived experience and the importance of recognizing that, and also the importance of recognizing the self-identification [of transgender people],” she said. “This is all relatively new. People are still trying to find the language for it.”

“I think in the right mindset this can be understood,” the 2016 presidential candidate added, “but it’s going to take some time.”

The comments are fairly interchangeable with last month’s remarks, in which Clinton referred to trans rights as a “very big generational discussion” and claimed the subject wasn’t “something [she] grew up with or ever saw.”

When Sunday Times reporter Decca Aitkenhead asserted that there are women from earlier generations who may be uncomfortable sharing a locker room or dressing room with a transgender woman, the 72-year-old was said to have nodded vigorously in response.

“I would say that, absolutely,” she said. “Absolutely. Yes.”

Clinton’s comments have been a boon to conservatives who have used them to exploit a wedge between trans-affirming progressives and gender-critical segments of the left. The right-wing news site Washington Times called the backlash to her Sunday Times interview “unhinged” and a “completely understandable perspective, particularly for a woman of her generation.”

My most charitable (aka least likely) read is that she sounds a bit like my mom when she doesn't feel like she's part of the conversation but still wants to participate and feel helpful/useful so she just constantly urges everyone to remain calm and just relax and let's just talk this through because we don't want anyone getting hurt.

Which is the sort of ultimately useless language that the average Social Entropite might describe as "poop from a butt"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Edit: upon reflection this isn't really the right thread to poop out pithy hot takes in, sorry

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    In case no one's heard,

Dontnod, the studio behing Remember Me, Life is Strange and Vampyr just announced a new game.

One of the protags, Riley, is a trans man.

So, I'll be honest, i only played Remember me and Life is Strange season 1, but i feel confident they can do this right. Why?

Because they actually hired a trans actor to voice Riley.

Apparently it's the first time this happened in video games? Kinda sucks it took this long but also it's pretty cool its's finally happened.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Yeah, I love everything Dontnod have ever made and this is great to see coming from them. :)
    LiS2 is wonderful and everyone should play it. Diaz brothers for lyfe! :P

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2019
    acting as a trans person is a shit catch-22.

Studios claim no trans talent is available, and this in turns reduces the talent pool because trans actors seldom get sufficient work. So it’s a self-fulfilling prophecy and the studio just hires a man to play a trans woman because they fear a trans person wouldn’t be a draw whoops I said the quiet part loud

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I do like their commitment to hire a trans actor for every language

PNk1Ml4.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    In case no one's heard,

Dontnod, the studio behing Remember Me, Life is Strange and Vampyr just announced a new game.

So, I'll be honest, i only played Remember me and Life is Strange season 1, but i feel confident they can do this right. Why?

Apparently it's the first time this happened in video games? Kinda sucks it took this long but also it's pretty cool its's finally happened.
    While I agree casting a trans man in the lead is great and it is a bummer that it is so notable that they did so, there are no trans people involved on the creative side of the game and when asked about it they said that they "consulted" with trans people.

I liked Life is Strange, but it had issues that somewhat stemmed from not having actual gay women writing the story, and I am not super excited that they are repeating that pattern here.

CYpGAPn.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    In case no one's heard,

While I agree casting a trans man in the lead is great and it is a bummer that it is so notable that they did so, there are no trans people involved on the creative side of the game and when asked about it they said that they "consulted" with trans people.

I liked Life is Strange, but it had issues that somewhat stemmed from not having actual gay women writing the story, and I am not super excited that they are repeating that pattern here.

As someone who gets very little representation in media (but getting better) I think representation written by Cismen, while not ideal, is still a step in the right direction.

Haven't posted.a picture in a while so:

• Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    the rhetoric doesnt give me disillusion, because that shit got out of my system as soon as trump was elected. that said, aside from the misery of that day or decision it sorta completely convinced me that "careerist posturing was and will always be Ploy First and earnest support second" is no longer a cynical statement.

hillary clinton can actually openly laugh at a trevor noah joke about her killing jeffrey esptein. its all a game for these rich sociopaths. (im using it not as an insult not unlike silly goose but in the clinical sense here)

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I feel justified in my efforts to actively not follow people

fuck gendered marketing
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    the rhetoric doesnt give me disillusion, because that shit got out of my system as soon as trump was elected. that said, aside from the misery of that day or decision it sorta completely convinced me that "careerist posturing was and will always be Ploy First and earnest support second" is no longer a cynical statement.

hillary clinton can actually openly laugh at a trevor noah joke about her killing jeffrey esptein. its all a game for these rich sociopaths. (im using it not as an insult not unlike silly goose but in the clinical sense here)

I don't think it's a game, I think it's a reaction to being accused of murder by people for the last 40 years or so.

Like, I take your sentiment, but that specific example doesn't really demonstrate that.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    If you wanna pick at Hillary joking about killing someone, her "we came, we saw, we killed him" joke about Gaddafi is more fair, especially given the nature of his death.

Gvzbgul on
    edited November 2019
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I don't think it's a game, I think it's a reaction to being accused of murder by people for the last 40 years or so.

Like, I take your sentiment, but that specific example doesn't really demonstrate that.
    Yeah Hilary and Trevor were joking about absurd dumb conspiracy theories, like 'Pizzagate'/Qanon etcetera that she has to put up with.
    I'd have laughed too, in her shoes. It's breath-taking how many utterly fucking stupid people there are, that seriously believe this shit.

To be the target at the centre of it all must be so bizarre.

Zilla360 on
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I stumbled across Dr. Mary Walker on Wikipedia and her page has this really nice photograph of her in male dress (date unknown, between 1873 and 1916)

She was a surgeon during the American Civil War and advocated women's suffrage and dress reform, routinely wearing male clothing

Platy on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Goddamn. The good doctor is a boss and a half in that photo.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I'm reading through achewood again and I forgot how many times they say the f slur in this comic! Like, it was the early two thousands, fuckin everyone said it, but still.

I have to also admit that when chucklebot says "what it is you rock and roll (f slur with the t at the end)s" it sings to my soul like a forgotten lullaby.

Any trans people in Michigan wanting to change their gender markers on their ID?

Now you can, easily: https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1640_9150-512565--,00.html

This discussion has been closed.