As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Carbonated

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited November 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Carbonated

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I'll just leave this here. ;)

9bnrc0teggbo.jpg

MarcinMN on
    "It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Plus, some cool scenery on Bespin, where bounty hunters are presumably taking all these apprehended targets so they can be frozen in carbonite. A bit out of the way, but yeah. Nice sunsets.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    Boba spoke more in this comic than he did in the original trilogy.

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Shortly after this comic, Bossk and IG-88 try to kill Boba Fett again for nonspecific reasons.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Boba is overrated. He got beaten by a blind guy. Also, the biggest mark he ever brought in was Han Solo, who he did not even capture. He was gifted Han by Darth Vader.

Boba sucks.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I would love it if The Mandalorian was actually about how Boba Fett is kind of a crappy bounty hunter and not respected by his peers.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Boba is overrated. He got beaten by a blind guy. Also, the biggest mark he ever brought in was Han Solo, who he did not even capture. He was gifted Han by Darth Vader.

Boba sucks.

Boba Fett is to Star Wars what Captain Archer is to Star Trek, every expanded universe or even just fan fiction community has a character like this.

In canon, Archer is actively incompetent at literally everything he does (lighting a planet on fire because he didn't read the directions, letting his dog pee on a sacred tree and then attempting to resolve the ensuing diplomatic crisis by threatening to pee on them himself, etc) and even most of his credited accomplishments are achieved in spite of his involvement and not because of it. But in the books he's more accomplished than all the other title captains combined, having won the Kobayashi Maru scenario in real life, basically winning the Earth-Romulan War single handed, and being elected President of the Federation on a write in campaign for being just that damn awesome.

Thing is, Boba Fett is a space hit man with a jetpack and a hotrod spaceship so it kind of makes sense that glorified fanfiction would want to make something better of him. Archer was a whiney test pilot who valued his incontinent dog above human life and I can't see the kind of author that would see that and say, "I'm going to make him a bigger badass than Kirk and Sisko combined."

Hevach on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I mean, the films he gets little screen time and doesn't have very many lines, but is nonetheless super competent and threatening (how many characters get to make demands of darth vader?)

this makes him fertile ground for fanfiction because basically any story can be built around him

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I want to know about his weird disintegration habit that made Darth Vader have to tell him not to do that with Han.

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I want to know about his weird disintegration habit that made Darth Vader have to tell him not to do that with Han.

Well, if Return of the Jedi is any indication, disintregation could just be Galactic Basic for 'torturing a droid', which just leads to further questions.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    A brutal takedown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syYge8MJTN0

Further savagery, for fun:

Part 1
    Part 3

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    A brutal takedown:

Michael and Cody were always two of my favorites. "BUBBA FEET?! BUBBA FEET?!" Still remember that one.

I also just finally realized that Josh (Price) has always vaguely reminded me of someone. It's Cody. Especially when he's getting all angry and swearful on the Josh Swears streams.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Given that energy weapons are the most common type of weapon in Star Wars, I figure that's just a matter of using excessively powerful weapons.

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    cB557 wrote: »
    Given that energy weapons are the most common type of weapon in Star Wars, I figure that's just a matter of using excessively powerful weapons.

Disintegration:

latest?cb=20090901185202

RatherDashing89 on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    If you disintegrate your mark, how are you supposed to collect your bounty? Dump a pile of dust on the table and go "trust me, that was him"?

Anyway, the most impressive thing Boba Fett ever did was hide in a pile of garbage.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

You may want to watch The Mandalorian to see what the title character's rifle does to living things.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Star Wars EU has always had a problem where every time you see a new race/character, they are always:
    a) the absolute best at what they do
    b) from a race of people who are known for doing specifically what that character is doing, which makes this character extra good at it.

Boba Fett's a Mandalorian bounty hunter? Damn, all Mandalorians must be badass bounty hunters.
    Yoda is a Jedi Master? Every one of Yoda's race has to be extremely powerful in the Force.
    Cloud City hires some Ugnaughts to work in the boiler room? Well, Ugnaughts are known throughout the galaxy for their boiler room proficiency.
    Chewbacca's a nudist with rage issues? Well, everyone on his planet is, too.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    A brutal takedown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syYge8MJTN0

Further savagery, for fun:

Part 1
    Part 3

Is that Cody from Cody's Showdy?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvlj0IzjSnNoduQF0l3VGng

• Options
    edited November 2019
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here. ;)

9bnrc0teggbo.jpg

Tycho repeats this in today's post:
    But it’s so novel, so experimental, that Han is simply a test of the device. The implication is that it’s not common. But it seems to show up a lot. So.

Except, it's never stated that the procedure is that novel, just that the Bespin facility isn't equipped to handle live lifeforms.
    VADER
    This facility is crude, but it
    should be adequate to freeze
    Skywalker for his journey to the
    Emperor.

An Imperial soldier appears.
    IMPERIAL SOLDIER
    Lord Vader, ship approaching.
    X-wing class.

VADER
    Good. Monitor Skywalker and allow
    him to land.
    The soldier bows and leaves the chamber.
    LANDO
    Lord Vader, we only use this
    facility for carbon freezing. If
    you put him in there, it might
    kill him.

VADER
    I do not want the Emperor's prize
    damaged. We will test it... on
    Captain Solo.

They experiment on Han because they don't know if the Bespin equipment can do the job, not because it's never been done before, or isn't done all the time using more sophisticated equipment.

marsilies on
  • Options
    marsilies wrote: »
    They experiment on Han because they don't know if the Bespin equipment can do the job, not because it's never been done before, or isn't done all the time using more sophisticated equipment.

You'd think a test of freezing equipment to see if there are no harmful effects would consist of freezing and unfreezing.
    Is that Cody from Cody's Showdy?

Yes. Cody Johnston.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Boba sucks.

He had the best PR and stylist. Form of function.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    dennis wrote: »

You'd think a test of freezing equipment to see if there are no harmful effects would consist of freezing and unfreezing.
    They were able to confirm that Han survived the freezing process, and in "perfect hibernation," while he was in carbonite.
    They slide the coffinlike structure to the block and lift the metal block, placing it inside. They then attach an electronic box onto the structure and step away. Lando kneels and adjusts some knobs, measuring the heat. He shakes his head in relief.
    VADER
    Well, Calrissian, did he survive?

LANDO
    Yes, he's alive. And in perfect
    hibernation.
    If Vader had doubts about the unfreezing process, he could've likely done it with Empire equipment once he got Luke back to the Emperor. but the unfreezing didn't seem to be considered the dangerous part of the procedure.

marsilies on
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

Tycho repeats this in today's post:
    But it’s so novel, so experimental, that Han is simply a test of the device. The implication is that it’s not common. But it seems to show up a lot. So.

Except, it's never stated that the procedure is that novel, just that the Bespin facility isn't equipped to handle live lifeforms.
    VADER
    This facility is crude, but it
    should be adequate to freeze
    Skywalker for his journey to the
    Emperor.

An Imperial soldier appears.
    IMPERIAL SOLDIER
    Lord Vader, ship approaching.
    X-wing class.

VADER
    Good. Monitor Skywalker and allow
    him to land.
    The soldier bows and leaves the chamber.
    LANDO
    kill him.

VADER
    I do not want the Emperor's prize
    damaged. We will test it... on
    Captain Solo.

*Spoiler*

I guess the equipment has been improved even more by the Mandalorian's time. All he had to do was shove the guy into the little "holder" and have a couple little nozzles spritz him a bit and he was suddenly an ESB-quality carbonite slab. Nice! ;)

MarcinMN on
    "It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    LANDO
    kill him.

This part sounds like it's not something that they know what it'll do to a living thing.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    cB557 wrote: »
    LANDO
    kill him.

This part sounds like it's not something that they know what it'll do to a living thing.
    On its own maybe, but Vader's previous line about the facility being "crude" suggests Vader has seen more advanced versions of the facility, ones where possibly freezing living creatures is far more commonplace. Thus what you quoted could be read as them not knowing what this specific facility will do to a living thing, not that they don't know whether carbonite freezing, in general, can be done to a living thing.

The fact that Lando is able to quickly attest that Han is in "perfect hibernation" after the event suggests that it's known that creatures can be put into a form of hibernation with this procedure, and there's even equipment that can test for that.

marsilies on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I mean, the films he gets little screen time and doesn't have very many lines, but is nonetheless super competent and threatening (how many characters get to make demands of darth vader?)

this makes him fertile ground for fanfiction because basically any story can be built around him

Small lines and details like that were a big part of the character in Empire. That a character as menacing as Darth Vader has to look Fett in the face and tell him not to go overboard tells the viewer that this is a man with a history and reputation. Likewise Vader forcibly making Fett not start shooting during the carbonite chamber sequence. All the wear marks on his armor added visual representation for his experience that was a big contrast with the clean armor on other characters. It all makes for a character that is regarded as dangerous even by a Sith space wizard despite being a mundane human.

He had a lot of setup despite few lines. And then that all went to waste in RotJ.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Or he was, you know, winging it and a lot of production designers did a little of this and a little of that, and a lot of what was so great was just sheer serendipity.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Or he was, you know, winging it and a lot of production designers did a little of this and a little of that, and a lot of what was so great was just sheer serendipity.

Wouldn't be the only thing that happened that way. Some of Han Solo's lines were ad libbed by Harrison Ford and some of his presence lay in things Lucas didn't plan.

A friend who saw the first movie in theatres recalls that because his introduction scene involved him shooting Greedo, Han agreeing to act as a taxi for Obi-Wan and Luke was a source of suspense and turned him into a big wildcard. At the time because of the scene as it originally was, she could easily imagine Han selling out the two to the Empire as much as taking them to their destination. But that's clearly not what Lucas had intended given the changes in the rereleases.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

Wouldn't be the only thing that happened that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQKrmDLvijo

• Options
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    If you disintegrate your mark, how are you supposed to collect your bounty? Dump a pile of dust on the table and go "trust me, that was him"?

Anyway, the most impressive thing Boba Fett ever did was hide in a pile of garbage.

He wasn't hiding in the garbage. He was just with his peers. Because he is trash.