As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Anthem] Death from Above ! and Sideways ! sometimes even from Below !

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    I had enough coins so I got all of them. Still got 155k left so decent buffer.

how'd you rack up so many coins?

do weeklies, coin dailies where possible. join a decent guild for alliance coins. be moderately picky about what you buy.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Well I got the Krogan and Turian along with some Shepard Shuffle. While the Quarian would be nice, I just can't spend real money on a game that I'm pretty much done with.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    are they only in the store today?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    All week long I think.

It's still hard to believe how unstable this game is. Did a freeplay to play around with the Krogan armor. Did 2 world events and then the game just crashed to desktop.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Yeah regular skins on rotation have usually been 2 days I think? the Mass Effect stuff is on for 7
    I think all the skins are pretty incredible but the only thing I'd say is that the Quarian head is a little wonky (but then again, almost all the Interceptor heads seem proportionally pants lol)

BRIAN BLESSED on
    I think that the Krogan armor is the best of the lot, looking at some of these suits people have posted:

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    It's a whole head taller than all the other Colossus armours! The actual top of other colossus armours reaches up to that eye light lmao

I also beelined for the carbon fiber texture they sold a week earlier. I seen what they doing there lol, gotta get that N7 armour texture going

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I managed to get the dance, so that'll have to suffice.

Maybe something to save towards a possible re-release next year.

Yes yes, let's save the hot takes about doubting it'll even be around next year, and just leave that as a possibility none of us can do anything substantial about.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    So....did it need a Crucible / PvP option that is basically ongoing content for a section of players to help keep the game going? Was going PvE only a mistake?

Yes, I know of the PvE issues / crashes, I got the digital deluxe edition, etc....

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    PvP might have helped. It’s an additional game mode so that might have helped keeping people
    Interested. You’d also get additional balance issues coming from that though, so who knows if it’d be a net positive. The core problems with Anthem were having to use Frostbite and the development basically be randomly slapping features together.

It’s so weird that BioWare is a company of incredibly talented people who seem to have lucked into their biggest successes because they’re utterly incompetent at project management.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    PTS details from the EA site: https://www.ea.com/en-us/games/anthem/news/play-icetide-early-on-pc-with-public-test-server
    There’s a welcome chill in the air that foretells the coming of an event celebrated by the people of Bastion – Icetide. It’s a time when even the steamy jungles are covered by a blanket of snow, lakes freeze, and ice is harvested for the warmer days ahead. While a joyous season with many festivities, it’s not – as with all things in the world of Anthem – without its dangers. If you own the game on PC or are a current Origin Access subscriber, you can get an early look at this blustery time-limited event with the new Public Test Server* – available today.

What Is the Public Test Server?
    It’s a way for Anthem PC players to share their feedback about upcoming content before it’s available to everyone. Currently, the Public Test Server (PTS) is only available on PC (and in English), to anyone who owns Anthem on PC or is an active Origin Access subscriber.
    What Will I Experience in the Icetide PTS?
    During the Icetide PTS, the Tyrant Mine Stronghold will be available for you to complete. It will include timers, score multipliers, Inversions, and leaderboards so you’ll need to be very tactical if you want to increase your score and earn Crystals for unique winter-themed rewards.
    You’ll also find plenty to do in Freeplay (the mode where you can freely roam through the world of Anthem) including more encounters with outlaws, localized Snow Globe Storms to take on and a brand-new event - a Freelancer Time Trial! The Time Trial race event will respawn every five minutes so you’ll have plenty of chances to prove your javelin is the fastest in all of Bastion.
    You may also want to spend some time enjoying the seasonal decorations around Fort Tarsis and the Launch Bay.
    When is the PTS Available?
    November 8 – 11**
    Who Can Play?
    All current Anthem PC owners or anyone with an active Origin Access subscription.

edited November 2019
    So, seasonal content infrastructure?

I'm sure the legions of Anthem fans will have plenty to say about this. :p

tastydonuts on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I’ve enjoyed the Halloween content they gave us, complaints about the mass effect tie in armours aside. Can’t say I’m eager to dive into the PTR, but I’ll probably give it a whirl once it’s live.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!

They announced the swap to the seasonal format a month or two ago for the purposes of allocating time to improving core systems

They announced the swap to the seasonal format a month or two ago for the purposes of allocating time to improving core systems

That won't stop the legions of fans I was thinking of.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    2x7d0kqmuh7x.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

I was just coming here to post this. I was an early big supporter of Anthem. After the alpha playtest, I pre-ordered the LoD version of the game. However, after getting in and playing I became a big detractor in this thread, and eventually stopped playing completely after about a month and a half after launch. I was so incredibly disappointed. I really hope they can pull off the magic that some other big game turn-arounds have had. However, given the speed at which they have been working, it will probably take another 8-12 months, so I'm not going to be holding my breath.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Simpsonia wrote: »

I was just coming here to post this. I was an early big supporter of Anthem. After the alpha playtest, I pre-ordered the LoD version of the game. However, after getting in and playing I became a big detractor in this thread, and eventually stopped playing completely after about a month and a half after launch. I was so incredibly disappointed. I really hope they can pull off the magic that some other big game turn-arounds have had. However, given the speed at which they have been working, it will probably take another 8-12 months, so I'm not going to be holding my breath.

It depends on how significant the rework is. It took Yoshida what to fix FFXIV, a year? Two?

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I wish them well on this endeavor, and hope they are able to turn this game into something closer to what they showed in their E3 videos.

Hell, just getting rid of overheat gets them 60% of the way there.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

It depends on how significant the rework is. It took Yoshida what to fix FFXIV, a year? Two?

I was going to say, FFXIV pulled it off.

But so far they're the only ones. And it was overhauled so much it was practically a different game.

Still, good on EA and Bioware attempting to really fix it. I'm skeptical, but hey, maybe they'll pull it off. And it's a sign Bioware isn't quite fucked yet.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

But so far they're the only ones. And it was overhauled so much it was practically a different game.

Still, good on EA and Bioware attempting to really fix it. I'm skeptical, but hey, maybe they'll pull it off. And it's a sign Bioware isn't quite fucked yet.

Eh, I would say that's wrong. Both Destiny (1) and The Division 1 did long term projects to make their games more popular that paid off. Destiny 2 kind of did this as well.

Eh, I would say that's wrong. Both Destiny (1) and The Division 1 did long term projects to make their games more popular that paid off. Destiny 2 kind of did this as well.

Yeah, Destiny 2 had several major workovers even before the F2P transition with "Go Fast", and the mod stuff. Guess we'll see what they do.

Say nothing of how different Diablo 3 looked pre and post Reaper of Souls. Glad to see they are working on it still. I love jumping in for a bit just to fly around and shoot stuff. Here's my minor wish list:

1) Fix bugs: I shouldn't have to deal with constant crashing still.

2) Fix how grouping works: Since you can't join mid match, you have to find groups starting at the same time. Works great when you have ton of people playing. Works terribly when you don't (ends up with lots of solo instances). Also add group chat for missions. The text to speech thing doesn't work in practice from what I've seen.

3) Fix flight: Get rid of the overheat out of combat. I want to be ironman and having to land to recharge is just dumb. Enemies can still overheat you to balance out combat. But if I'm flying to a mission, just let me fly. Also removes the need for waterfalls in future content...

4) Fix weapons: Go to a ME3 model quick. Give me a reason to use SMG's or other lesser used weapons.

5) Fix loot: No use for masterwork embers once you've got to legendary. Give us a shaper relic that can use embers to re-roll stats on items. Sure folks that play a ton more could add a ton more here.

5) Add content: Enough said.

I finished Anthem's story 2 weeks ago and it just didn't work for me. I wish I could go into more detail, but it's hard to describe. I just didn't care about the world they built that much. Which then meant I didn't care to explore, do side quests, or anything that wasn't the main quest line. Funny enough, playing through The Outer Worlds right now and I really wish I could merge them together. Give me the combat mechanics of Anthem and the story/dialogue/characters of Outer Worlds.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    This is me eating my hat. Plenty of game companies have turned around awful first launches, and if they're doing that here then good on them and I was wrong.

What is this I don't even.
    dead game lol

I'm just shocked that EA got over their "MUST MAKE VIOLENTLY HUGE PROFIT NAU OR KILL IT" mentality they've had for so long. Maybe their long-term plans rely too heavily on Anthem being a success?

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm just shocked that EA got over their "MUST MAKE VIOLENTLY HUGE PROFIT NAU OR KILL IT" mentality they've had for so long. Maybe their long-term plans rely too heavily on Anthem being a success?

Or they think it'll be worth it for them to salvage it? Its hard to say what the inner workings are. I'm glad Anthem is getting the attention and Bioware as well, perhaps nintendo isn't going to buy bioware.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited November 2019
    From what I've read Fallout 76 is still getting content updates after 12 months despite Bethesda going through lawsuits to their name

People thought Anthem would get shut down after 6 mo l m a o

ed: All this comes off as smug and shit which I really don't want, because even as a fan of the game it's not really news to gloat about. But at least now I get to read about news on the game while spotting slightly less unfettered naysaying in the comments

re: overheat, I'm still perfectly fine with the overheat-cooldown dynamic as a core game mechanic because it encourages players to actually interact with the environment, establishes a flow and rhythm with the game's movement and rewards smart positioning. It's also thematically appropriate in the context of the setting because it keeps the suits grounded and provides a limitation that prevents them from simply zipping off into the infinite aether. The game in its current state is simply not designed around some sort of infinite freedom of flight

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    From what I've read Fallout 76 is still getting content updates after 12 months despite Bethesda going through lawsuits to their name

People expected it because of the reputation EA gave themselves.

This is completely anomalous behaviour from EA. It’s good, don’t get me wrong. But no one had any reason to expect EA would support a game that dropped the sales ball so hard.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

This is completely anomalous behaviour from EA. It’s good, don’t get me wrong. But no one had any reason to expect EA would support a game that dropped the sales ball so hard.

Is it, though? I mean, I'm trying to remember the last online-focused game EA put to pasture that's not one of their annual EA Sports titles, and I'm drawing a blank on anything released in the past 10 years. Maybe something is slipping my mind, though.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Is it, though? I mean, I'm trying to remember the last online-focused game EA put to pasture that's not one of their annual EA Sports titles, and I'm drawing a blank on anything released in the past 10 years. Maybe something is slipping my mind, though.

They don't have other games as a service, but given the ongoing developer support needed a comparison can be made to game series/sequels and planned game support.

They have a reputation for killing game support, series and studios who don't make money. So when people see Anthem launch like it did, you can't really blame people for expecting the game to be taken out back and shot. There was a really weird concerted effort above any other game I remember where people were screaming from the rooftops it would die, but EAs own reputation speaks for itself.

-Loki- on
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

They don't have other games as a service, but given the ongoing developer support needed a comparison can be made to game series/sequels and planned game support.

They have a reputation for killing game support, series and studios who don't make money. So when people see Anthem launch like it did, you can't really blame people for expecting the game to be taken out back and shot. There was a really weird concerted effort above any other game I remember where people were screaming from the rooftops it would die, but EAs own reputation speaks for itself.

Battlefield 5 is their other one.

Other games that were given continued support long after EA's supposed reputation would have seen those games sent to a farm up-state include:
    • Mirror's Edge (which performed abysmally...but still got a sequel)
    • Battlefield 4 (sold well, but the game was inarguably broken for fully the first year after it launched)
    • Battlefield: Hardline (sold reasonably okay, but while the studio is 2-years buried the game isn't sharing the studio's fate)
    • Need for Speed: Rivals (I don't think I've heard one positive thing about the game more than "Yeah, it's pretty okay"...and yet, three more core NFS games have been released)

I mean, shoot, even Battlefront 2, the game that almost single-handedly gutted the whole lootbox model for EA, is still getting regular updates. Have EA shuttered multiple beloved studios over the past two decades? Sure...but I guess I'm just not seeing the same scope of reputation that you're talking about.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    People have also been regularly calling the Need for Speed franchise as dead, yet they've actually consistently released a new Need for Speed game every two years

I mean Bioware themselves have SWTOR that EA has allowed to remain and get content updates. So Bioware has proven they can at least make steady money on a service game.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    This may be a consequence of all the circling the wagons around fewer and fewer games -- it's easy to shutter a studio when you have a bazillion of them, but when there's much fewer, cutting a studio means cutting an increasingly vital revenue stream. So this may be forcing EA to have some patience.

...then again EA just said they're doubling down on games as a service, so it's not all good.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I easily got 100 hours out of this game, maybe closer to 150. Although the crashing was never that bad for me.

I loved the gameplay itself but would of loved more content better loot system. Very interested to see what they do.

Dixon wrote: »
    I easily got 100 hours out of this game, maybe closer to 150. Although the crashing was never that bad for me.

I loved the gameplay itself but would of loved more content better loot system. Very interested to see what they do.

Yeah I think the core gameplay is solid, where the game lacks is very much in the loot and equip system. I'd love for your equipment to also change how your suit looks a lot more, and of course more stuff to do with a more active map in the overzone to say "hey stuff over here."

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I think more visual differentiation between equips would be really cool, but they definitely exist already - it's not as apparent on the Interceptor/storm ones but you can see very clearly on the Colossus where different equips are distinctly different in appearance

I've been doing more Freeplay as it matches up with players faster, but I still prefer the structure of mission matchmaking as it evokes Mass Effect 3's multiplayer-with-context. For me personally, anyway