As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Streaming Services] You love them, you hate them, you have them all.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    No one knows much of anything about the live action stuff yet, so won't be getting any recommendations for those.

Oh, older stuff, right! Agents of Shield is pretty good once it gets going. Mostly.

Look, the first part of the first season is really rough. Watch the pilot and then skip to TRACKS if you don't want to sit through a bunch of mediocre episodic stuff.

And never watch Inhumans unless you want to hate watch something with a fiery passion.

I would almost recommend skipping the Inhumans season of S.H.I.E.L.D, too, except they do some important character development and also Kyle Mclachlan.

That was the last season I watched. I remember thinking it was getting kind of dumb. Does it get better after that season? Should I pick it back up?

It got a lot better. Still think agent Carter was better though.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Honestly some of the stand-alone shorts were more interesting than the beginning narrative stuff.

Great music overall.

• jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Does anybody else have really awful video/audio desync issues with Disney+ on PS4? I watched Captain Marvel last night and had to pause and rewind a dozen times. Similar problems with the 2nd episode of Gravity Falls on Wednesday.

I noticed some hitching issues on my PS4 bigtime tuesday & wednesday (mainly with The Mandalorian), and a little bit yesterday (with Mandalorian ep. 2). Didn't see any problems with The Great Muppet Caper or the little bit of Sound of Music that I watched. I wonder if it's tied to how much a specific piece of media is being requested.
    TexiKen wrote: »
    That Sturgill Simpson Sound & Fury special on Netflix is ambitious but not rubbish but also gets a little too thin at the end (although there is an important post credit scene tying into the story), it's very front loaded with both the music and animation and the best songs are part of the "main" story, and a lot of the 3D assets are borrowing from the director's other movie Batman Ninja, but I really like this idea of trying to Heavy Metal a full album release in an era where it's just Vevo videos and singles. This is an interesting potential market to tap for Netflix or the other streaming companies, a way to make a full album have credibility again while also being a possible way to farm potential directing/animation/even acting talent and being a music or visual background listening selection for people. Hell, it would be a really nice thing to potentially sell to restaurants and more modern office waiting areas as opposed to cable news or daytime TV. So let's have a Magic Dance or Scandal or Turbowolf or Twice album videos ok thank you.

My girlfriend has been a fan of Sturgill for a long time, so she was pretty into it. I enjoyed it too, and the album itself has been growing on me quite a bit. I'm just bummed that the next time he's coming through town it's going to be for an arena show, not a club show.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Also somehow when I add Gargoyles to my watch list it added it at the first episode of season 2 so i still have to manually select season 1 episodes.

steam_sig.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Gargoyles is goddamn light years ahead of it's time.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    How Gragoyles has not gotten resurrected for Disney XD is beyond me. It's a wholly original concept that Disney owns in full and the toy potential is so high.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    jimb213 wrote: »
    Does anybody else have really awful video/audio desync issues with Disney+ on PS4? I watched Captain Marvel last night and had to pause and rewind a dozen times. Similar problems with the 2nd episode of Gravity Falls on Wednesday.

I noticed some hitching issues on my PS4 bigtime tuesday & wednesday (mainly with The Mandalorian), and a little bit yesterday (with Mandalorian ep. 2). Didn't see any problems with The Great Muppet Caper or the little bit of Sound of Music that I watched. I wonder if it's tied to how much a specific piece of media is being requested.

Could also be an issue with the PS4 trying to stream the higher resolution since the Mandolorian is a UHD show. I didn’t notice any issues when watching the first 2 episodes today on a 4K fire stick.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I've found the PS4 isn't really that great of a streaming box. I dunno why, but I know it struggled with doing PLEX stuff, too. And the VRV app runs like trash on it (though that might be on VRV's end). I also had crashes using the Amazon Prime app with it, as well. Finally ended up switching over to an Nvidia Shield to do streaming (plus it can run a PLEX server on it, which is dope).

Stabbity_Style.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    jimb213 wrote: »

Could also be an issue with the PS4 trying to stream the higher resolution since the Mandolorian is a UHD show. I didn’t notice any issues when watching the first 2 episodes today on a 4K fire stick.

PS4 does support UHD though. If you have a pro... I think?

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I have to imagine that Disney has so much more that has to be added to +. Things like the Goofy "how to" series and stuff like mathmagic land. Do we have any indication that they are planning on putting all of the old stuff like that on the service?

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    A lot of them already are. ‘How to Fish’ and ‘How to Swim’ already are, along with a ton of Mickey Mouse centric retro cartoons. They’re definitely going to add more with time, and there’s actually a feature to request something not currently on the service. There’s also a field where you can request features.

If you have a suggestion I would suggest filling it out. One thing I can absolutely say about Disney experiences is that they actually value guest feedback over market research. If enough people want a thing, they’re going to do it, even if a consulting firm or whatever says different.

Javen on
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    A lot of them already are. ‘How to Fish’ and ‘How to Swim’ already are, along with a ton of Mickey Mouse centric retro cartoons. They’re definitely going to add more with time, and there’s actually a feature to request something not currently on the service. There’s also a field where you can request features.

If you have a suggestion I would suggest filling it out. One thing I can absolutely say about Disney experiences is that they actually value guest feedback over market research. If enough people want a thing, they’re going to do it, even if a consulting firm or whatever says different.

This is good to know, I was actually looking for some of these and disappointed when I couldn’t find them. I also want the baseball and football ones because they are classic.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    No one knows much of anything about the live action stuff yet, so won't be getting any recommendations for those.

Oh, older stuff, right! Agents of Shield is pretty good once it gets going. Mostly.

Look, the first part of the first season is really rough. Watch the pilot and then skip to TRACKS if you don't want to sit through a bunch of mediocre episodic stuff.

And never watch Inhumans unless you want to hate watch something with a fiery passion.

I would almost recommend skipping the Inhumans season of S.H.I.E.L.D, too, except they do some important character development and also Kyle Mclachlan.

That was the last season I watched. I remember thinking it was getting kind of dumb. Does it get better after that season? Should I pick it back up?

Definitely. It never quite hits the high of late season one, but there's still a lot of really good stuff, and every now and then it becomes legit great. The development of Fitz in particular is fantastic.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Every time in later seasons of SHIELD when I start to think it's getting a little stale, they mix things up again.

I think Season 4 was probably my favorite overall.

Krieghund wrote: »
    I have to imagine that Disney has so much more that has to be added to +. Things like the Goofy "how to" series and stuff like mathmagic land. Do we have any indication that they are planning on putting all of the old stuff like that on the service?

Oh man, Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land is so good. I think I watched that 3 times between high school math and college math club.

steam_sig.png
    edited November 2019
    RedTide wrote: »
    How Gargoyles has not gotten resurrected for Disney XD is beyond me. It's a wholly original concept that Disney owns in full and the toy potential is so high.

I would love to see a remake with modern animation techniques and story telling sensibilities.

Also lol at the lady giving her BF grief for spending only 40k on a new car. In the 1990s. 65k today. Look at him with his fancy car phone.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    My 9 year old was not impressed by how The Black Hole handled the black hole.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Everything I see is new.

I am never behind the times.

Let me tell you about this hip new singer called Mika.

Let me tell you about updog.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    My 9 year old was not impressed by how The Black Hole handled the black hole.

I hope your kiddo handled the reveal about the fate of the Cygnus' crew better than kid me did.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the Black Hole gave me nightmares as a kid.

... I added it to my watch list so I could experience that all over again. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • TrentHawkinsTrentHawkins Registered User regular
    the user formally known as Dan Hibiki
    Looks like they renewed Black Summer on Netflix for another season. I am a big fan of zombie horror so I should probably get around to watching the first season.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It looks like Netflix is front loading some new additions before Thanksgiving binge streams and The Irishman showing up next week, and it looks like today brings us:

-Drive (the Gosling one)
    -Adventures of Tintin
    -Beavis and Butthead Do America
    -Bebe's Kids
    -Evolution
    -The First Wives Club
    -The Goods (!)
    -The Green Inferno
    -Hot Rod
    -Iron Sky: The Coming Race
    -The Love Guru
    -Once Upon a Time in the West
    -Young Adult
    -Zodiac

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Finally, fucking Finally Bebe's kids is back on streaming.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Man, Hot Rod. What an excellent film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVjgY427qW8

Stabbity_Style.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Finally, fucking Finally Bebe's kids is back on streaming.

Easily the finest film in which an animated Tone Loc shits his pants.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Gave a trial of OVID a shot and enjoyed my time with it. OVID is a streaming service for mostly arty, culturally specific, international documentaries and art films. Part of why I did the trial was to watch Shohei Imamura's very hard to find documentaries, but after signing up I found out they weren't there for me (Canadian; I'm sorta used to this by now). Instead I watched some Wang Bing and Kazuhiro Soda docs. The quality was good and so were the films.

I didn't stay signed up. Unless you're really into a specific director or subject matter, you'd probably be better served waiting for a particularly enticing lineup on MUBI.

I'm a HUGE fan of Drive. If you haven't seen it yet then now's a good time. I love the visuals and the music.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm a HUGE fan of Drive. If you haven't seen it yet then now's a good time. I love the visuals and the music.

One of my favourite film of hte last like 10 years. So damn good.

Note: is not really a film about getaway driving, despite what some of the ads seemed to suggest

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Drive is about what are ultimately many unsuccessful getaways.

Because it is our failures that make us heroes. Real human beings.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Best homage to Le Samourai:

Drive
    or
    Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

Drive
    or

Yes.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Also don't forget folks

Dragon Prince Season 3 this Friday.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    The Goods? As in Jeremy Piven, The Goods? That was a pretty funny movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-VLtpSZh7o

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    You can't all be possibly telling me that The Goods is actually good? I've skipped over that movie so many times.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The Goods is really underrated, it's got a Step Brothers type of quasi reality comedy world and the jokes are good, and the supporting cast provides good humor without being grating or having momentum killing subplots. And it's got a lot of people who are now common comedy names in it.

• grumblethorngrumblethorn Registered User regular

Drive
    or

Drive is an homage to The Driver

Ghost Dog is homage to Le Samourai

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Drive is super good. It's arguably the best artsy fartsy crime movie of the decade.

If you want a great double feature, pair Drive with Baby Driver.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Drive
    or

Drive is an homage to The Driver

Ghost Dog is homage to Le Samourai

Isn't The Driver heavily influenced by Le Samourai though?

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Looks like they renewed Black Summer on Netflix for another season. I am a big fan of zombie horror so I should probably get around to watching the first season.

Is that the show that's a prequel and only had one season so far? If so it's pretty good and a prequel to a zombie show I've heard is ok. But if it's whay I'm thinking, if you like zombies, it's worth a watch. The Asian female was.my favorite.

This discussion has been closed.