As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The good, the bad and [The Mandalorian] OPEN SPOILERS

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Oakey wrote: »
    The other interpretation is that they simply couldn't come up with enough content to fill 45-60mins which would be something. Right now we're a quarter of the way through the season and it feels like it's barely getting started.

Yeah episode two basically advanced nothing.

Disagree, we learn that the baby has force powers, we had assumed but now we know. We also get to see some characterization from the Mando, he asked the ugnaut to join him on his ship which shows he's not a loner by choice he is perfectly fine to ask for help, and was respectful when the man politely declined having mentioned he got out of servitude and didn't want to jump back into it, which implies he probably in his past had some forced work of his own.

And we learned there was another set of bounty hunters after the baby.

We already knew he wasnt a loner and was willing to accept help. All of that is established episode 1.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I’m sure there are viewers who maintain an argument that eight episodes should mean at minimum 8 hours of show. There’s certainly a lot of people who fixate on tangible measurements to decide how good something is-how many views something got the first night, ticket sales, and so on. It’s a too much like treating entertainment like professional sports for my liking.

I want to believe that the real goal is to make a show that stands the test of time. I also would want to think that if we’re going to assume a traditional arc, what we’ve gotten so far is buildup but the big story is just getting off the ground. It’s very likely that rewatches will benefit from the opening episodes being brief.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Oakey wrote: »
    Good job he ran into Nick Nolte who taught him how to ride a Blurgh then or he'd never have found his bounty

Characters often meet other characters with information that advances the plot. This is called storytelling

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I like this show but everything about the Blurgh riding was bad. The cheesy montage, the arbitrary necessity of a mount, the mysterious disappearance of that necessity, etc.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I like this show but everything about the Blurgh riding was bad. The cheesy montage, the arbitrary necessity of a mount, the mysterious disappearance of that necessity, etc.

My biggest issue with it was that Mando needed the Ugnaught to chide him before seeming to actually try. He succeeds first try when criticized and makes it look relatively easy. So was he not bothering to try before? We’re they skills he’d forgotten? Did he not think it that important until put in his place by this crusty old man? It didn’t feel like a big challenge he was surmounting.

The whole sequence felt thin. I’ve seen each episode twice now and I’m trying to decide if I’d like this as much if it weren’t Star Wars. I think the answer is probably yes? I’m not sure.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    Really enjoying the show, but we have joked that the story is written exactly like a video game.

Complete quest, Get reward.
    Accept quest, get armor upgrade.
    Complete quest, choose "good" option, obtain companion.
    Fail "bad" side quest.
    Accept "good" side quest, find egg.
    Trade egg, repair ship.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    If you aren't liking it then I suggest stop watching? I never understand people who struggle with this kind of stuff.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    If you aren't liking it then I suggest stop watching? I never understand people who struggle with this kind of stuff.

Especially as we live in a time when there is literally more content produced on a daily basis than is possible to watch even if you did nothing but watch content.

It's one thing if you're not sure, and hoping it gets it's footing. But watching something you feel wastes your time, or actively hate? Find something else to watch, or go outside and do something else.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Me, this weekend: "Honey, wanna watch The Mandalorian with me? Folks are saying it's real good"
    Wife, rolling eyes: "Ok hon, sure, go ahead" *grabs iPad while I set up TV*

*30ish minutes later*

Wife: YOU DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT A BABY YODA! YOU PLAY THE NEXT EPISODE RIGHT NOW, MISTER!

Sounds familiar...

Tuesday:
    Me: "Want to watch the Mandalorian?"
    Wife: "I don't have any interest in it, go ahead." *stays in room and watches*

Friday:
    Me: "Do you still have no interest in the Mandalorian?" (i.e., can I watch it on my own?)
    Wife: "Well, I didn't, but then you had to make me watch it and see baby Yoda."

You guys have wives who like the same things you do and don't lovingly roll their eyes at you when you want to share your joy in something? Man, I don't know what that feels like...

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Me, this weekend: "Honey, wanna watch The Mandalorian with me? Folks are saying it's real good"

*30ish minutes later*

Wife: YOU DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT A BABY YODA! YOU PLAY THE NEXT EPISODE RIGHT NOW, MISTER!

Sounds familiar...

Tuesday:

Friday:
    Me: "Do you still have no interest in the Mandalorian?" (i.e., can I watch it on my own?)

You guys have wives who like the same things you do and don't lovingly roll their eyes at you when you want to share your joy in something? Man, I don't know what feels like...

:bro:

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    :bro:

• Options
    My wife typically doesn't care to specifically watch any movie or tv show, but the mandalorian is really drawing her in.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Dissenting opinions are not hate.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »

*30ish minutes later*

Sounds familiar...

Tuesday:

Friday:

You guys have wives who like the same things you do and don't lovingly roll their eyes at you when you want to share your joy in something? Man, I don't know what that feels like...

Well, to be fair, this isn't universally applicable. I'd say "ask me how I know" but this isn't chat :P

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    My wife made me sign up for Disney+ so that we could watch The Mandolorian together, and, I guess, so our kids could stream all the Disney stuff.

Her facial expression at the Babyoda reveal was absolutely worth the price of admission.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Six wrote: »

My biggest issue with it was that Mando needed the Ugnaught to chide him before seeming to actually try. He succeeds first try when criticized and makes it look relatively easy. So was he not bothering to try before? We’re they skills he’d forgotten? Did he not think it that important until put in his place by this crusty old man? It didn’t feel like a big challenge he was surmounting.

No, the Mandalorian wasn't giving it his all. That's the point. He gets saved by Ugnolte, and out of honor feels obligated to at least humor him for a bit. But it's pretty clear that he doesn't actually give a shit about learning how to ride the creature. It's only when his culture is brought up (which, you know, is being made to be a key component to his motivation...) that he actually puts forth a real effort in taming the beast.

Moreover, it's an obvious test. Ugnolte is pretty clearly a watcher/guardian of that valley (it's his home, where he's free rather than a servant). He says that, yes, he's encountered several other bounty hunters, with the implication that they spurned him/failed the test. Ugnolte is an invaluable resource due to his skills and intimate knowledge of the land, but his help is predicated on how the hunter(s) conduct themselves.

So, no, the Mandalorian didn't need to learn how to ride a Blurgh. He also didn't need to bargain with the Jawas (he likely could've tracked them down and kill them all eventually). But by doing so - by showing respect to both the environment, potential allies, and even his quarry - he succeeds. He finds a stealthy way into the compound (which was ruined by the droid's arrival) and he gets his ship's parts far faster than he would otherwise with minimal loss of life, and the added bonus of growing more attached to Boda. It demonstrates that wisdom and patience are just as much a part of a warrior's arsenal as their blaster(s) and armor.

This is a show that doesn't spell everything out. A surface level viewing - which is what Star Wars has largely relied on for the last 40+ years - is likely going to leave some people disappointed. These tasks are not unlike what Yoda made Luke do, except that Yoda isn't there spelling out why Luke's (or, in this case, the Mandalorian's) pissy attitude and impatience will inevitably lead to failure.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Thought: were 1 and 2 originally written as a single episode/chapter, but split thanks to Plus launching on a tuesday and still wanting that friday episode?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Thought: were 1 and 2 originally written as a single episode/chapter, but split thanks to Plus launching on a tuesday and still wanting that friday episode?

I kind of assumed this was the case, but they don’t really work as a two part episode either. I wonder if 1-2-3 make sense together as the opening act of the broader story or as a little three act drama in and of themselves, or if the show will feel through the entire season like the first two episodes.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Honestly, if you felt like the past two episodes haven't said anything meaningful then this show is not for you. A lot of stuff is being conveyed, it's just not being told at you with ham-fisted dialogue.

And frankly, given how a lot of streaming shows have turned out with their minimum episode/runtime content, it's a good thing that they are keeping the episodes as short as they feel necessary, rather than drawing them out to 12 episodes of 1-hour content, 8 hours of which is padded. The Marvel Netflix shows, in particular, suffered from significant bloat and padding.

This reminds me of people who complain about open-world games "only" having 20 hours of content, because the standard they hold those games against are the ones which artificially inflate their content to 100+ hours by copy/pasting dozens of repetitive quests all over the place. Sorry, but that is indicative of a game that does not respect my time, not a game that wants to give me "more bang for my buck".

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Most of the time this show actually develops its character its extremely ham fisted.

My wife couldnt stop laughing when he had flash backs to the sound of his armor being made.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I'm perfectly fine with a shorter show that focuses on mood and flavor at the expense of written plot. We honestly don't get many of those.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Man, some folks seriously salt about a space western not going super deep into every crevice only 2 episodes in.

Personally, I've loved what we've gotten so far with a small surprise, as well some sweet sweet Mandalorian action, which is all I really wanted out of this.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    "Hey the short episode time is leaving episodes rushed with not enough character or plot development" is hardly digging deep man.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    "Hey the short episode time is leaving episodes rushed with not enough character or plot development" is hardly digging deep man.

It's also not what I would consider a valid complaint, but YMMV.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    There's been an hour of content so far. Are you complaining that the episodes are too short or that there aren't enough of them available right now? Because those are not the same thing.

• Options
    SanguiniusSanguinius Registered User regular
    Man, I don't know if we're even watching the same show if anyone thought that Episode 2 didn't advance the plot at all - the development of character in Mando alone, who goes from out and out ignoring his first bounties to engaging with and feeling protective of the baby is just the beginning.

For those who don't know all things Mandalorian, we're starting to see more information about how they view the world and operate, or at least, how this one does. He is pissed off when his ship is stolen, but he only bangs the armoury door together in absolute frustration when he sees that his armoury has been looted - along with 'I'm a Mandalorian, weapons are my religion'. Along with that, we also see him facing down the charging wooly-rhino with his vibroblade alone, rather than running away when discretion is probably the better part of valor.

Then we also see the characterisation of baby yoda, who is not only force-attuned as a 50-year old infant, but is willing to do something so taxing it falls asleep for a few days afterwards.

Add to that we also see that the same sort of thing Jedi and other Star Wars characters regularly do - take on an entire crawler full of Jawas - turn out awful for him. He's not an invincible protagonist, he gets his shit beat on regularly - he nearly lost an arm to a Blurg in the first episode and then got zapped by Jawas in the second, along with getting hammered by the rhino. He's starting to learn that, unlike in the first episode where he beat the shit out of everyone in the cantina and took the bounty - there need to be other approaches to getting shit done.

So yeah, don't like the show for sure but to say it isn't moving along and that the episode length is too short to allow that is really weird to me.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    I told my mom this was a bit of a space western, she watched the two episodes and said "It's actually a space 'lone ronin' movie that brings Star Wars back to the Kurosawa origins George Lucas relied quite a lot upon", so that's me being told.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Look up Lone Wolf and Cub so next time you can pretend to follow along.

Also because it's pretty good.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Why would a planet which isn't Tattooine, not only have Jawas, but Jawas who look the same, dress the same, behave the same, speak the same language, and have the exact same technology and vehicles as Jawas from Tattooine? Do Jawas just exist exactly the same on any barren desert planet in the galaxy?

So far I really like the atmosphere, premise, and overall "look & feel" of this show, but the constant fanservice (REMEMBER JAWAS? REMEMBER UGNAUTS?? REMEMBER THE GONK DROID???) is really irritating. Just make up some new aliens, guys! Hopefully they dial it back now that the story is underway presumably.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    SanguiniusSanguinius Registered User regular
    Same reason as there are planets that have humans, who live in cities, use the same technology and act in similar fashion? Starwars is nothing without its hats - if you're a female Twi'lek, you're attractive to a bunch of races and dance on poles. If you're a Hutt, you're apparently always a crime lord of some sort.

I guess if it's a desert planet, some Jawas are going to find it and colonise it and wander around in giant landcrawlers. Insidious little buggers.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    I'm just over here waiting for Gina to show up.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    But the Jawas weren't the same. They all had red eyes.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

Is she the Armorer?

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Xantomas wrote: »

Is she the Armorer?

I haven't the foggiest, she's just been posting lots of pictures on her Instagram. She looks more like a merc or bounty hunter in the pictures though.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    I'd be surprised if she was Mandalorian. My guess is she's another bounty hunter or hired gun of some kind.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Xantomas wrote: »

Is she the Armorer?

No.
    The Armorer is Emily Swallow (Amara from Supernatural). Gina Carano is going to be another bounty hunter, apparently.

• Options
    I dunno another desert/rocky planet with Jawas makes sense, I mean I didn't think they were unique to tattooine. They seem more like "have junk will come"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Why would a planet which isn't Tattooine, not only have Jawas, but Jawas who look the same, dress the same, behave the same, speak the same language, and have the exact same technology and vehicles as Jawas from Tattooine? Do Jawas just exist exactly the same on any barren desert planet in the galaxy?

So far I really like the atmosphere, premise, and overall "look & feel" of this show, but the constant fanservice (REMEMBER JAWAS? REMEMBER UGNAUTS?? REMEMBER THE GONK DROID???) is really irritating. Just make up some new aliens, guys! Hopefully they dial it back now that the story is underway presumably.

I'm fine with Jawas on another planet but it would be cooler if they had a slightly different culture or something. A different environment in which they have kept their core Jawa-ness. I think presenting new stuff with just parts of the recognizable would work great. We've only seen Yoda's species as one old guy and everybody is raving about baby Yoda. The Jawas just aren't given anything new to work with here.
    Sanguinius wrote: »
    Same reason as there are planets that have humans, who live in cities, use the same technology and act in similar fashion?

but the humans in the franchise have been given more variation and depth. The humans on Naboo have a clearly distinct culture from those on Tattooine. And they were nothing like the people on whatever was that planet that was basically one giant city. It's not real racism or whatever, but Star Wars does frequently hit the "all races are exactly one way, except the human race" trope.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    it's like you enter a bar and you see a Mandalorian and you know you can go "sup proud warrior race guy?" and then you see a human and you don't know what you're supposed to think of them.

If I was all the other races in the Star Wars universe I would've sat the humans down and told them to pick one trait that They Are Known For.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Julius wrote: »
    it's like you enter a bar and you see a Mandalorian and you know you can go "sup proud warrior race guy?" and then you see a human and you don't know what you're supposed to think of them.

If I was all the other races in the Star Wars universe I would've sat the humans down and told them to pick one trait that They Are Known For.

... having sex with any and all of the others?

ED: Being main characters?

ED2: Having diversity? Ish?

Elvenshae on
This discussion has been closed.