As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rick & Morty] Justin Roiland Versus Season Seven (Oct. 15th 2023)

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Rick has almost definitely been traumatized by the loss of his wife.

There’s a theory that Morty isn’t Rick’s original Morty, but instead evil Morty is the original. Rick abandoned him on some mission and the Morty we know is a replacement. That’s why Rick has memories of a Morty growing up and an (from his perspective) irrational love for him even though the Beth we know says Rick was gone for years.

Our Morty’s original Rick is probably dead.

That's a cool theory but two things niggle at the back of my mind:

1) Rick and Morty are both from c137.
    2) Evil Morty, through the Rickbot, mocked Rick for being emotional towards his Morty. I'd expect other emotions if there were a history between them.

Rick says they are both from c137. Rick also knows how to fool a portal gun.

The Rickbot is what I’m talking about. Right before he was gonna kill him, Rickbot (really Evil Morty) was looking at Ricks memories. He sees Rick interacting with a Morty, Rick then tears up with emotion and Rickbot mocks him for it.

If our Rick abandoned Evil Morty, purposely or otherwise, then of course he’d mock Rick for being emotional about tossing him away like trash. But also when Rickbot was looking at Rick’s memories, we saw a young Morty through varied ages, that is assuredly not our Morty, as Beth from Morty’s original and the new Beth both say that Rick was gone for years and never saw his grandchildren grow up.

Even if Evil Morty isn’t Rick’s original, our Morty definitely isn’t Rick’s original either.

Eh, I figure Rick can place cameras and keep an eye on "his" family/Morty.
    Don't get me wrong, it's an interesting place to go to, I just don't think the evidence is there for it.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Is really too far of a stretch after he abandoned Beth from season one on cronenburg world? If that was his original daughter, then he left her to die without a second thought.

And we saw how resentful to Rick they became later for that.

Usually the episodes are fairly self contained and unrelated to other episodes, but here there’s a narrative thread connecting cronenburg world, the galactic federation, the Citadel of Ricks, and Evil Morty, that has been unfolding throughout the series. Those episodes are connected by a common thread while others are not.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Maybe this Rick was different because instead of abandoning his family he stayed close and they ended up pushing him out of their lives entirely because he was still totally toxic (like other Rick's) from the loss of his wife.

Maybe its because his original Morty gets killed or breaks bad (and later lures/is recruited by a different Mortyless Rick).

They can go a few ways as they have presented and remain consistent, but it seems very likely this isn't his original Morty.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I like how this seasons they're really hammering home how parts of the fanbase totally misinterpret Rick.

• Options
    Is really too far of a stretch after he abandoned Beth from season one on cronenburg world? If that was his original daughter, then he left her to die without a second thought.
    An interesting point but irrelevant: He rescued Morty. Finding a dimension where only he had perished whenever would have been way easier than finding a dimension where both he and Morty die at that particular time so that Morty can have a "normal", uninterrupted life. Come to think of it, he also sacrificed himself when Morty's uncertainty collar malfunctioned. If there's one person he will not abandon, it is Morty.

And we saw how resentful to Rick they became later for that.
    I don't agree with this.
    The C137 Smiths were better off and happy without both Rick and Morty. Beth explicitly says so.
    They come to dislike Rick as they become more feral but I don't think it's grounded in anything specific such as their abandonment.

• Options
    evilthecat wrote: »
    An interesting point but irrelevant: He rescued Morty. Finding a dimension where only he had perished whenever would have been way easier than finding a dimension where both he and Morty die at that particular time so that Morty can have a "normal", uninterrupted life. Come to think of it, he also sacrificed himself when Morty's uncertainty collar malfunctioned. If there's one person he will not abandon, it is Morty.

How is it irrelevant that for someone as powerful as Rick, he’d rather abandon his daughter on a world he destroyed (with Morty’s help) rather than suffer the inconvenience of finding a universe in a sea of literal infinite universes where a Rick, a Morty, and a Beth died.

So either Rick’s convenience is more valuable than his original daughter, or she’s not his original. Which means Morty is not his original either. It can’t be both, she’s either his original and he abandoned her or she and Morty are not the originals.

But this comes back to why he feels such strong emotions for Morty. I think it’s because he abandoned his original and feels guilty for it. Rick thinks his original Morty died on an adventure and he couldn’t face telling his original Beth, so he just hopped to a new universe where that Rick died so he could just step in and replace him. His guilt is why he is the way he is.

Except Rick’s Morty didn’t die, and instead became Evil Morty.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    OR something fucked up happened and Rick doesn't know who his original family is except Morty. That's why he saves Morty and shits on the rest of them.

OR the writers don't actually think about this stuff and make it up as they go.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Well the new episode sounds messed up a usual.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    When do eps go up on adult swim's website?

• Options
    edited November 2019
    How is it irrelevant that for someone as powerful as Rick, he’d rather abandon his daughter on a world he destroyed (with Morty’s help) rather than suffer the inconvenience of finding a universe in a sea of literal infinite universes where a Rick, a Morty, and a Beth died.
    Because Morty wrecked that world, if only Morty would have simply given him the screwdriver like he asked!
    Rick having to admit being wrong is something Rick does not want to do, so much so that he steals Morty's memories whenever Rick looks bad for being wrong/losing. Finding another dimension with just the right variables is a smaller task than taking a hit to the ego.
    As to why he only goes out of his way to save Morty, no idea. Again, I like the evil Morty theory, it fits, but given what they've setup so far it isn't really supported well.

So either Rick’s convenience is more valuable than his original daughter, or she’s not his original. Which means Morty is not his original either. It can’t be both, she’s either his original and he abandoned her or she and Morty are not the originals.

But this comes back to why he feels such strong emotions for Morty. I think it’s because he abandoned his original and feels guilty for it. Rick thinks his original Morty died on an adventure and he couldn’t face telling his original Beth, so he just hopped to a new universe where that Rick died so he could just step in and replace him. His guilt is why he is the way he is.
    Except Rick’s Morty didn’t die, and instead became Evil Morty.
    Another C137 reference, before I forget: the council of Ricks also identifies Rick as C137 Rick.
    Perhaps Evil Morty is the Morty antipolar equivalent of goofus Rick?

evilthecat on
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Look there's no way I can poop out in an open vista like that, even if the planet is uninhabited. Need the comfort/privacy of four close walls. Heck I feel shy if the only stall available is the handicapped one, too much open space.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Of course they have thought about these things. The core premise of the show is that Rick has recently come back into their lives. It is not an accident that they repeatedly push against their core premise by depicting Rick is having some kind of history with a Morty. In three episode where Morty goes to see bird person he is confused about a picture of Rick with a much younger Morty. That had nothing to do with the episode it took place in. It’s just set up. The show has been setting up that Rick has something else going on since the very beginning.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    It could be that Rick lost all of "his" family a long time ago.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Look there's no way I can poop out in an open vista like that, even if the planet is uninhabited. Need the comfort/privacy of four close walls. Heck I feel shy if the only stall available is the handicapped one, too much open space.

I think the idea is he feels trapped in a regular toilet and needs a planet to compensate

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

I think the idea is he feels trapped in a regular toilet and needs a planet to compensate

IIRC, Smith family toilet conditions did lead to an outbreak of pink eye.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Summer

• Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    Everyone uses their phone on the toilet. Not everyone washes their hands though.

Summer.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

That inferred more that Summer either doesn't wash her hands or fails to handle her phone well while in there

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I like how this seasons they're really hammering home how parts of the fanbase totally misinterpret Rick.

Rick is certainly not someone to admire or emulate, even if our Rick hates fascists. For all of his genius, he's still a colossal asshole and a sad, lonely and broken man inside. Don't need a high I.Q. to realize and appreciate that point alone.

Raiju on
  • Options
    Also I wonder if Giant Rick ia gonna be a theme this season

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I had a hard time following the toilet plot and I'm not real sure what happened there.

Something like:
    1. Rick shy poops on an entire planet dedicated to be his bathroom, but finds someone has been using his toilet.
    2. Rick goes through an elaborate investigation to find his mystery pooper. (Mystery poop on the toilet planet was originally a sandwich. Rick goes to the sandwich shop and the fly mob boss tells him a robot delivered it. Rick tries to get the information from the robot, but the robot is destroyed mid-conversation. Rick defeats all the crocubots so he can reassemble the robot's archive and find where the robot delivered the sandwich.)
    3. Rick confronts Tony the mystery pooper.
    4. Tony's wife had died of cancer and Tony wants to look at a picture of his wife while Rick kills him. (Rick infers that Tony is using his wife as a defense mechanism, so Rick grabs a Tony from a parallel universe where Tony's wife's cancer went into remission. That parallel Tony also pooped on that universe's serene toilet planet. Rick uses this as a justification that Tony's dead wife was not what caused Tony to poop on the poop planet. Tony's dead wife is, however, responsible for Tony's acceptance of his impending death.)
    5. Rick see his own nihilism reflected in Tony's willingness to die due to the loss of his wife.
    6. Ricks actions make Tony realize he's been limiting himself due to a fear of further loss. (He see's Rick's actions as a cry for help. In an effort to help Rick, Tony draws out Rick and tells Rick he recognizes Rick's fear of loss and desire to control some aspect of his own existence.)
    7. Rick ignores Tony's offer of help. (By using his giant Rick robot to sit on Tony as a means of making Tony think he has died, in order to put Tony into a Matrix-like poop heaven. Tony's mind rejects the free pooping heaven as he comes to term with his own loss.)
    8. Rick sets up his extravagant means of embarrassing Tony.
    9. Tony, realizing that he's been hamstringing his own existence due to a fear of loss, has gone on to live life to the fullest. And subsequently dies space skiing down Space Everest.
    10. Tony's death emphasizes Rick's inability to cope with loss and then Rick goes on to feel bad for himself in his return to a lonely existence where he's literally mocked by himself for being a worthless loser.

With more poop jokes and potentially without any true intention to be poignant other than Rick's persistent self-loathing.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Kirkland Meeseeks left me with the feeling it would do everything a brand name Meeseeks would do except for the trademark introduction.

It would do everything a regular Meeseeks would do, but you'd just end up with a little bit too much of it and kinda feel bad about how much you had and it going to waste.

Like, you'd ask it to find the love of your life, and Kirkland Meeseeks would bring you three equally awesome partners, at least one of whom you'd have to dissapoint. Or, say, a three pack of infinate use teleportation cubes. Why do I even need more than one!

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    So we're ALREADY back to "idiot Jerry causing problems and not getting any respect from his kids. . ." huh? This was a fun episode, if a bit weaker than the premiere, but I'm not liking the idea of these characters just being STUCK in who they are (which is a very Harmon way of viewing character development).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    So we're ALREADY back to "idiot Jerry causing problems and not getting any respect from his kids. . ." huh? This was a fun episode, if a bit weaker than the premiere, but I'm not liking the idea of these characters just being STUCK in who they are (which is a very Harmon way of viewing character development).

Jerry did do a smart thing there that got him and Morty set free.

• Options
    I wonder if Jerry still has telekinesis or if that was only while he was dating that hunter woman?

I know it was a gag and will never come up again, I’m just wondering.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »

Jerry did do a smart thing there that got him and Morty set free.

Jerry can at the very least sense a fellow loser

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Frustration with a lack of change is where I left last season but this didn't bother me. Jerry is an idiot who causes problems but the big difference in this episode is that Beth loves him. She explicitly chooses him over a beloved celebrity and is explicitly supportive of him. Even though Jerry causes a lot of problems the ending is positive for him.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    It's a much different Beth than the first three seasons so far.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

She cared about Summer a lot in the previous episode that paired Rick and Jerry together. That episode has one of my favorite Beth quotes/moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM8S__yvH7U

• Options
    I loved how protective both Morty and Beth were of Summer in that episode where she morphisized herself; we obviously know what Beth did to reconcile with Summer, but Morty acting like the protective brother was a new turn for his character and gotdamn was he vindictive!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    This felt like a very Dan Harmon episode.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Adult Swim has an analysis of the episode. It is about how Rick is afraid of friendship.

• Options
    TrentHawkinsTrentHawkins Registered User regular
    Also I wonder if Giant Rick ia gonna be a theme this season

turn out the only fans Harmon approves of are the Vorarephiles.

the user formally known as Dan Hibiki
  • Options
    Jerry
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Adult Swim has an analysis of the episode. It is about how Rick is afraid of friendship.

All his friends do tend to die or betray him

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Jerry
    Krathoon wrote: »

All his friends do tend to die or betray him

Especially Morty.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

Well, she is a stand-in clone for the real Beth who's out traveling the cosmos on adventures.

I bet.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Well, she is a stand-in clone for the real Beth who's out traveling the cosmos on adventures.

I bet.

Perhaps! But I would also think Clone Beth would have ditched Jerry.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    This felt like a very Dan Harmon episode.

He definately voiced the fly mafia boss.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    At this point only Morty is the 'original' Morty that we started with in Ep 1x01, and even then his memories have been extensively tampered with.

It's all very 'Ship Of Theseus', really.