As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Man Banjo and Kazooie are awesome. I was enjoying them when they first released, but figured it was just part of the excitement. I came back to playing them and enjoy every single facet of the playstyle. I am enjoying learning new tricks more than any other character I played.

I was doing so poorly to overall trying to play online. But I am having a ton of success with B&K.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Simon/Richter -- there have been an almost unending stream of Castlevania games

there were an almost unending stream of Castlevania games. Been a dead series since 2008. Or maybe 2014, I guess the Lords of Shadow games do technically count.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • PoochPooch Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    A Mortal Kombat character with no blood would, in fact, be extremely faithful to Nintendo history as the first Mortal Kombat infamously ported to the SNES without any blood effects.

Was MK as big in Japan as in America? I feel like it's the biggest franchise missing from Smash. I think a Scorpion character could work- make him feel really brutal but no blood and guts... have his final Smash fade to black or something right before he pulls out a spinal cord or whatever and just make a bunch of implied violence happening through sound.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

Simon/Richter -- there have been an almost unending stream of Castlevania games

there were an almost unending stream of Castlevania games. Been a dead series since 2008. Or maybe 2014, I guess the Lords of Shadow games do technically count.

My kingdom for a remake of HD (the online multiplayer one, not the GBA one) on Switch.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Pooch wrote: »
    A Mortal Kombat character with no blood would, in fact, be extremely faithful to Nintendo history as the first Mortal Kombat infamously ported to the SNES without any blood effects.

Was MK as big in Japan as in America? I feel like it's the biggest franchise missing from Smash. I think a Scorpion character could work- make him feel really brutal but no blood and guts... have his final Smash fade to black or something right before he pulls out a spinal cord or whatever and just make a bunch of implied violence happening through sound.

I'm told that MK has no presence in Japan and that multiple games in the franchise haven't even been released there

dN0T6ur.png
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Pooch wrote: »

Honestly I'm not sure MK ever was very big outside of America. I know that here in Spain nobody eally gave a fuck about the series.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    From what I remember as a kid back in the nineties in the UK, it was mostly popular with teens looking for extra edge to cut themselves on and had even less depth than most other fighting games and I honestly had no idea it has gone beyond the fourth game in the series.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    From what I remember as a kid back in the nineties in the UK, it was mostly popular with teens looking for extra edge to cut themselves on and had even less depth than most other fighting games and I honestly had no idea it has gone beyond the fourth game in the series.

Yeah, MK's dial-a-combo system is really strange and it had a really limited fighting depth. I enjoyed Deadly Alliance on the XBox, but I have a feeling if I were to replay it now it would feel shallow as all hell.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, looking around MK11 sold at number two in its first week in the UK. Meanwhile MK11 was the top-selling game in the US for much of the year until the latest Call of Duty dethroned it.

Which doesn't make a strong case for MK in Smash, since the series tries for characters with worldwide appeal.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    We could have Stunt Race FX cars and like Game N Watch have them move at an unholy frame rate.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Yeah, looking around MK11 sold at number two in its first week in the UK. Meanwhile MK11 was the top-selling game in the US for much of the year until the latest Call of Duty dethroned it.

Which doesn't make a strong case for MK in Smash, since the series tries for characters with worldwide appeal.

Mortal Kombat X is apparently the 5th best selling fighting game of all time. The only fighting games that have outsold it are three Smash Bros titles and Street Fighter 2. So while the franchise isn't big in Japan, I could still see it getting some representation. Maybe in the 2nd wave of DLC.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

I don't doubt the "edge" is what got its foot in the door. But once that eventually wears off, there was a genuinely good game there. MK 2 and 3 got a lot of play on the SNES.

Then again, future games weren't as interesting, probably because they just weren't interesting games. Especially when the big 3D movement happened during the PSX era. That's when the likes of Tekken and Street Fighter Alpha ruled the roost, at least in my gaming circle at the time.

To put it another way, MK 1-3 I feel have genuine nostalgia. The rest... eh not so much.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    MK 9 (360, PC, PS3) and 10 (Xbone, PS4, PC) are better games than the rest of the series, is the general consensus. They're actually great.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    9 10 and 11 have been pretty excellent.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    That was my impression, MK 1-3 were good but mostly thrived on the shock and schlock, then there was a long interregnum of mediocre to terrible entries and spin-offs, then something changed and 9 onwards have been a bit of a renaissance for the series, better than anything before.

Also that the original trilogy was mostly an Anglophone sensation (North America, UK, etc), part of that mid 80's-mid 90's 'dark age' of everything trying to be super edgy and grim.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Man, my poor gamecube controllers may be finally giving up the ghost, after fifteen years of continuous service. I feel I'm getting input drops. But getting some of the new official ones for a reasonable price seems rather impracticable...

I still have a wavebird sitting around, unused for what seems like a decade. Every time I'm cleaning out old shit I find it and think... I might use this some day and back in the box it goes.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Well this is interesting. Spirits for a game not in Smash

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Well this is interesting. Spirits for a game not in Smash

Bwaahahaha the Leon fight

I was expecting Fox as Leon, but not
    to make him appear, you have to fight a bunch of Villagers, who do nothing but walk towards you and grab you

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
    Well I guess that probably rules out Leon as a future DLC fighter.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    First time booting up Smash in quite a few months. I wish they’d add spirits more often like this. Gives me a reason to play again.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    First time booting up Smash in quite a few months. I wish they’d add spirits more often like this. Gives me a reason to play again.

They just had an event with Sword and Shield Pokemon last week, and Tetris pieces at the end of last month.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
    edited November 2019
    I guess I didn’t notice those when it happened. Shucks. Well clearly Smash was off my radar. Too bad they didn’t start events sooner.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    Man. My gamecube controllers seem to finally be giving up, so I figured I really should start learning to play on other controllers, and grabbed the Pro to learn it.

It gets... difficult. Muscle memory betrays me constantly. Too many years of having special-attack-jump in a line to find the buttons in a pinch in the diamond configuration.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Well I guess that probably rules out Leon as a future DLC fighter.

Well K.Rool has several spirits based on his alter egos so Leon could use his modern Re2 design

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    I like Leon but isn’t he too small time for Smash?

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Chris is probably the biggest-time RE character, but RE4 was a game-changer.

Or maybe they could have both in one character a la Olimar/Alph and Bowser Jr./Koopalings.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular

I'd be surprised if fewer people know who Leon is than, say, Corrin.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Leon is absolutely the only RE character I know of

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Chris Redfield, Claire Redfield, Jill Valentine are all generally better known I think.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    alright Jill rings a bell too

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited December 2019
    RE1 Player characters:
    • 48yxl28uaegi.jpg
    • yut3t9n0unox.jpg

RE2 Player characters:
    • 03zemahdzv21.jpg
    • y22swyp75eyr.jpg

I feel like the women are more memorable & iconic, to be honest.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png

I think that was a play on this quote from RE4

tumblr_oq2q4eVqRV1w5j9nto1_400.gifv

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Hmm. I’m pretty sure RE characters are out because of those spirits. I wish that wasn’t the case because I want Shantae.

I think Lara Croft has a good chance of getting in. There hasn’t been a female DLC fighter yet and Lara is pretty dang iconic. So far I haven’t felt like getting the fighters pass but I’d be interested in her.

edited December 2019
    I still feel like it should be Yoshimitsu, to give Bandai Namco more rep, and because he's a very odd and memorable character who represents two highly successful 3D fighting game franchises (Tekken and Soul Calibur). It's weird to me that they don't already have a fighter to represent B-N's more modern games.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

I think that was a play on this quote from RE4

tumblr_oq2q4eVqRV1w5j9nto1_400.gifv

Yeah, see, I've never played a Resident Evil game but know who Leon is.

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Nobody’s really said anything about what a Spirit inclusion means for anything. Heck, we’ve got spirits for things represented in playable characters, like King K Rool’s various costumes, or Bayonetta’s main demon.

It’s all up in the air, without any word from Sakurai.

Enlong on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Lucas had a trophy in 4, and yet he was still added as DLC the following year.

I’d say spirits are a similar deal.

YL9WnCY.png
    Lucas had a trophy in 4, and yet he was still added as DLC the following year.

I’d say spirits are a similar deal.

To be fair, Lucas was already a playable character previously.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yes, but people were still using it as proof that he was gone for good.

YL9WnCY.png