As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Yeah, and we don't really know what all Chidi did before/during school. Tahani's the only one out of the group who we can say for sure has never worked a normal job.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Chidi 100 pecent worked his way through school . He wouldnt want to put a burden on his parents by having them co-sign a loan. Im sure he got some scholar ships as well

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Chidi 100 pecent worked his way through school . He wouldnt want to put a burden on his parents by having them co-sign a loan. Im sure he got some scholar ships as well

Tahani’s good friend Leonardo was in a movie about a ship once. Not a scholar ship though.

• RhinocerousRhinocerous Registered User regular
    I think scholar ship is where Tahani had her yachting lessons. (Which is to say, lessons on how to dress on a yacht, what orders to give the crew, etc.)

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I hate you all

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Actually, it's werid - Chidi is the only one we have NO IDEA about their parents. like... at all. Everyone else's parents we know were various shades of awful, but we have zero idea for Chidi's (In general we seem to know the least about chidi's life)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I think they have had trouble figuring out what exactly Chidi's life is, what language he speaks, where he lives, what accent he should have, etc. They don't even seem to understand how professor jobs work, so it's not really clear what he was doing at that university.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    maybe that's an indication on something special about chidi...maybe he's god.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Could God put enough Peeps into a chili to make it taste bad?

steam_sig.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I think they have had trouble figuring out what exactly Chidi's life is, what language he speaks, where he lives, what accent he should have, etc. They don't even seem to understand how professor jobs work, so it's not really clear what he was doing at that university.

Well we know he's multilingual, and French is his preferred language. As to where he lives, we know he grew up in Senegal and was based in Sydney, Australia (whether this is shown well enough in the show is a different question)

Beyond that... ???

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2019
    The logical career progression in the real world would be Senegal -> graduate studies + early career in France -> tenure track in Australia. They seem to be going to great lengths to avoid the whole French linguistic situation though.

tynic on
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    The logical career progression in the real world would be Senegal -> graduate studies + early career in France -> tenure track in Australia. They seem to be going to great lengths to avoid the whole French linguistic situation though.

Yeah, shouldn't he have a French accent in the Australia scenes?

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    There was some thread discussion about that in S3, I think they did try and shove in some extra backstory to explain it but I don’t remember the details.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

My headcanon is that he got anxious about his Senegal French accent but was worried about appropriating Australian culture and ended up with this American accent.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    IIRC they had William Jackson Harper try a Senegalese accent and it messed with the joke rhythm so they just told him to do it in his regular accent and invented The Good Place de-accentification thing to accommodate. And got the killer Tahani accent joke out of it.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    IIRC they had William Jackson Harper try a Senegalese accent and it messed with the joke rhythm so they just told him to do it in his regular accent and invented The Good Place de-accentification thing to accommodate. And got the killer Tahani accent joke out of it.

She never did get over her speech impediment

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    I just binge-watched the second season of The Good Place and I have so many feelings right now... and I think I'm gonna cry? I want to start season three but it's way past my bedtime.

I just binge-watched the second season of The Good Place and I have so many feelings right now... and I think I'm gonna cry? I want to start season three but it's way past my bedtime.

Quick! If you're fast enough, you can catch up with you all gnashing our teeth for the end of season 4!

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular

While not exactly the same, growing up in a certain part of Canada, I know a number of people who primarily speak French, who can fluently speak English with little to no trace of a French accent.
    I'm guessing the main reason on the show is just that it was easier to handwave it and move on, but anecdotally, it's definitely a thing.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I love that every time we've said something like this, where we notice a big hole like this, like chidi's backstory, the show almost immediately fills it in

Sleep on
  • PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Well, that's quite the month long sendoff.

Annnnd now i wait at least 5 hours for netflix to actually put the episode up. Gdi netflix!

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I wasn't happy crying this episode...YOU were!

camo_sig2.png
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »

That was definitely a kick to the feels.

I will never get over how awesome this entire cast is, or how solid the writing is.

Yeah... that was good. Yeah.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    This was a really, really good episode.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Fantastic and teared up towards the end.

That smile.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    Hulu followed up with one of Publix's (grocery store chain) super-sentimental holiday commercials about family and it was almost too much.

sig.gif
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Chidi's brain reloaded the time knife. 8-)
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Yeah, and we don't really know what all Chidi did before/during school. Tahani's the only one out of the group who we can say for sure has never worked a normal job.
    That's it, Mike Schur is either reading this thread, or is a psychic. :lol:

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    This episode...

I think I'm useless now for the rest of the day.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited November 2019
    And there's the episode we get to cite when we're mad William Jackson Harper does not get an Emmy nomination. But also quite possibly the one Danson wins with, so there's that.

enlightenedbum on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    And there's the episode we get to cite when we're mad William Jackson Harper does not get an Emmy nomination. But also quite possibly the one Danson wins with, so there's that.

That scene between Michael and Chidi was gold.

camo_sig2.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Kristen Bell has to be nominated for her work this season.

edited November 2019
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Kristen Bell has to be nominated for her work this season.

Kristen Bell should have been nominated a couple times for various things and never has been.

Patricia Arquette won lead actress for freakin' Medium the year Veronica Mars premiered, as the most galling example.

enlightenedbum on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Okay im not alone. Fuckin Emmy's for that episode right?

• VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Next episode isn't until January 9th? Terribly inefficient.

Boy am I a sucker for the "This is your soulmate" recurring gag.

steam_sig.png
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    So what's the deal? Two more standard-length episodes and then a triple-length finale, yeah?

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Fuck now I'm crying a little at work. Why is the entire cast so good.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    So what's the deal? Two more standard-length episodes and then a triple-length finale, yeah?
    I think it's just the triple-length finale.

sig.gif
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Me, watching the latest episode, with the book I'm reading right now:

6bS5uuP.jpg?1

TychoCelchuuu on