As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Outer Worlds] Like New Vegas but with the color green

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Killed Ellie's parents in front of her with a minigun and she left my crew. Well, excuse me.
    This is why I only hang out with Parvati and Sam.

I don't know atrocity you could do to make Sam leave the party. Maybe not using a coaster for your drink?
    Tell him he's not allowed to clean Ada.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Ok finished the story, glad I was able to do one run before it leaves game pass. Mostly went with a dialogue and tech character so I was able to talk down the final big bad, but then I saw
    the cool looking robot in the locked hibernation chamber room

and regret not going a more shooty route.

When I do another character run I think I'll go melee and science, trick out science weapons and smack things. Also do hard difficulty, on normal things got easy to take down even though 80% of the time I'm doing dialog routes.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Seems like Outer Worlds did extremely well in October and landed at #2 on the NPD thingamabob.

Can't wait for the DLC and sequel.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    suprachromatsuprachromat Registered User regular
    Yeah, really glad to see TOW has done so well. Proof for the industry that single player RPGs which focus on story and characters can still do very well in 2019. Also a good thumbs up for Obsidian's push to develop their own new IPs.

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Just finished the game on Hard. Hard was not remotely hard. Still the game was very good. I had some issues with the story as it progressed. The baddies were on the nose bad but never scary. Final score 8/10. Probably won't play again but might since I missed one companion and Supernova could be interesting. Not sure if I got the best ending but it was pretty fucking good and I actually teared up a bit.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Ok finished the story, glad I was able to do one run before it leaves game pass. Mostly went with a dialogue and tech character so I was able to talk down the final big bad, but then I saw
    the cool looking robot in the locked hibernation chamber room

and regret not going a more shooty route.

When I do another character run I think I'll go melee and science, trick out science weapons and smack things. Also do hard difficulty, on normal things got easy to take down even though 80% of the time I'm doing dialog routes.

It's leaving Gamepass? When? Or you mean just in general before it does one day maybe (unclear if first party games are ever yanked).

• Options
    Yeah just in general, recently signed up for game pass because I got some months free for buying an AMD cpu, I'm not really sure when/if games rotate out of the library yet.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I'm having such a bi-polar experience with this game. On one hand the writing is just the best. Just finishing up Monarch and the C3 stuff had me laugh out loud; which rarely happens with a video game. Sanjar and Hiram are both excellent characters.

On the other hand the gameplay is just terrible (old school might be the nice way to say it). Sifting through my inventory to find crap to sell reminds me of Mass Effect 1. Why in the world are there 3 different items that do the same thing? Also I've spent more time just picking up items and selling than anything else. Combat likewise reminds me of Bioshock, it's just sort of spastic, and that doesn't fit with the RPG trappings in the rest of the game. Also the pacing is just rough. Feels like they didn't put the right triggers in for events as I get companion ship conversations back to back to back. Had one that was obviously meant to be in space, but we were docked at the time.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Finished.

*board ending spoilers?*
    Popped Welles and I assumed I died a fat man in Byzantium leading the Halcyon colony.

Should be interesting to see what they do with Earth. If it was destroyed, I don't like how casually Sophia brought up the possibility and it feels like they would want that to be more of a surprise if it was the case.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    So Obsidian has announced their next game to follow up on outer worlds, and its... a four player coop survival rpg based on honey I shrunk the kids?

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/11/14/grounded-is-obsidians-next-game-is-co-op-survival-about-being-shrunk/

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Interesting, but a bit late to the party on this genre are they? It feels like the market is already saturated with survival games. At least they aren’t making a battle royal.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Finished.

*board ending spoilers?*
    Popped Welles and I assumed I died a fat man in Byzantium leading the Halcyon colony.

Should be interesting to see what they do with Earth. If it was destroyed, I don't like how casually Sophia brought up the possibility and it feels like they would want that to be more of a surprise if it was the case.
    I assume Outer Worlds' Earth got attacked by aliens or went through its own version of Fallout's Great War

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Interesting, but a bit late to the party on this genre are they? It feels like the market is already saturated with survival games. At least they aren’t making a battle royal.

Right, and meanwhile the game inexile is producing producing for microsoft is... Wasteland 3 (edit - or maybe not it looks like it was a preexisting project) Just how bad did pillars of eternity 2 do again?

I figured they would put obsidian on a licensed property 3D RPG since thats where their most successful games have pretty much been. Like a halo RPG or something. But then maybe someone at obsidian is a really big 80s kid adventure movie fan.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I assume the mystery of Earth will either be the sequel, or was them just writing Earth out altogether to explain why noone else was going to be intervening.

I just hope they let us do more with the ship and/or a base. I just didn't like any of the characters outside of Ellie or Parvati. Or, not that I didn't like them but I wasn't interested in them at all. Cut it down to 4 and make them deeper because most of them are shallow. I'm forgetting one of them completely, I remember Ellie, Parvati, Max, Felix and the robot...the drunk lady. It's a weird game, it's Fallout but I never felt that invested in the setting, I played it but I don't recall anything partciularly stand out about it. The inventory system needs a massive overhaul too.

• Options
    Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    I suspect Earth will be the 3quel.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Right, and meanwhile the game inexile is producing producing for microsoft is... Wasteland 3 (edit - or maybe not it looks like it was a preexisting project) Just how bad did pillars of eternity 2 do again?

I figured they would put obsidian on a licensed property 3D RPG since thats where their most successful games have pretty much been. Like a halo RPG or something. But then maybe someone at obsidian is a really big 80s kid adventure movie fan.

Microsoft is giving Obsidian space, not orders. They're being hands-off and letting the talent do what the talent does.

• Options
    WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    Seven hours in. Love this game. Parvati went from possible romance to my precious disaster daughter that I must protect at all costs in the blink of an eye. I am indescribably pleased about this turn of events.

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Seven hours in. Love this game. Parvati went from possible romance to my precious disaster daughter that I must protect at all costs in the blink of an eye. I am indescribably pleased about this turn of events.

There are no romance offers. That's more of a Bioware thing.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

How dare you forget Fisto, star of New Vegas!
    hqdefault.jpg

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »

How dare you forget Fisto, star of New Vegas!

Also the Black Widow -perk enabled dialogue options when you meet the guy who left you for dead: "You shot me! I find that really hot! Let's bang." I remember laughing out loud at the stuff.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    so like where is the patch that was supposed to be out last week but then was delayed to today

cause today is over...

edit - NM the patch did indeed come out a couple hours ago. Windows Store wasn't seeing it but when I checked the xbox windows app it saw it there for some reason.
    https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/112824-the-outer-worlds-patch-11-release-notes
    Greetings fellow spacers,

We want to let you all know that our Patch 1.1.1.0 has been released for all platforms! This is a hot fix patch to address some top community issues that have come in sine the launch of the game.

Resolved Issues for Patch 1.1.1.0:

Top Community Requests:
    The game crashing at a specific point when the player has reached Tartarus has been resolved
    Toggle to increase the font size (found in the UI tab under Settings). Increases font for conversation text, cinematic subtitles, bark subtitles, and terminal text.

Audio
    Players will no longer experience muffled sounds when playing on the PlayStation 4

Design:
    The Prismatic Hammer has been rebalanced and no longer incorrectly uses the level multiplier as an exponent instead of a multiplier and will no longer do 10s of thousands of points of damage at a higher level. Now deals the damage it should have been dealing all along

Quests
    Existing Botched companion quests will have their status reset to Active allowing the player to add them to a party when leaving the ship in order to un-botch the quests, unless the death occurred prior to unlocking the companion quest
    Fix for "Radio Free Monarch" where issues would happen when talking to Nayoka while having SAM in your party

General:
    Foliage on the Xbox One now has parity with the foliage on PlayStation 4
    The achievement/trophy for "It's Not the Best Choice" will pop correctly

To continue to report issues you come across and to share suggestions for the game, please visit the Technical Support forums for The Outer Worlds and search to see if a fellow player has already made a thread about it to help reduce duplicate threads. If you find a thread that matches your issue or suggestion, then please feel free to leave a comment and include any details you would like to share.

If you are not able to find a similar thread, then please share it with us on our forums and then visit our publishing partner, Private Division, and share this issue with them through their support website. This will help ensure that your specific issue or suggestion is in their queue and will allow us to prioritize requests to provide the fastest possible turnaround time.

Thank you all for your patience and understanding, and please continue to share with us anything you come across. You all are amazing, and we are very lucky to have you here with us.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They nerfed/fixed my hammer! Hope it fixed my odd lockup.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I stopped playing this when I encountered the undead companion bug, hoping an upcoming patch would fix it.

Despite the patch notes claiming the bug has been fixed, it hasn't. I have tried taking the effected companions off and back onto the ship, both before and after obtaining the quests. The quests still fail immediately upon acquisition and will not unfail.

Judging by the posts in the patch notes thread, this appears to be the case for everyone else as well.

Now Obsidian is promising there is another patch coming soon™. So I have to once again decide to either play without doing any companion quests or keep waiting.

Doesn't feel great. :sad:

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    So the bigger text is excellent, where it appears. There's a lot in the menus that's still really tiny, which is kind of a bummer, and the vendors are all practically unusable for me, which is a "me sitting on my couch" problem I guess and not a universal one, but it's still way better than it was and good enough for me to start playing again. I'm excited!

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I stopped playing this when I encountered the undead companion bug, hoping an upcoming patch would fix it.

Despite the patch notes claiming the bug has been fixed, it hasn't. I have tried taking the effected companions off and back onto the ship, both before and after obtaining the quests. The quests still fail immediately upon acquisition and will not unfail.

Judging by the posts in the patch notes thread, this appears to be the case for everyone else as well.

Now Obsidian is promising there is another patch coming soon™. So I have to once again decide to either play without doing any companion quests or keep waiting.

Doesn't feel great. :sad:

The notes say "unless the death occurred prior to unlocking the companion quest" which is the case if it autofailed as soon as you got the quest. It seems they only fixed the case where you had already successfully obtained the quest but the companion "died" sometime during it.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    At the very beginning.
    It is funny how you don't bother to bury the guy your pod lands on.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    At the very beginning.
    It is funny how you don't bother to bury the guy your pod lands on.
    Couldn't afford the gravesite fees, even if you wanted to.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Is it just me, or are the consumables in this game annoying?
    I feel obliged to pick them up, if only to sell them, because they're scattered literally everywhere.
    But I never feel like I need to use any of them, or that I would be particularly benefited by using them.
    And so many of them have different icons for the same fucking effect. I have to constantly mouse over them and read them to remember what they're even supposed to fucking do.

RT800 on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I feel obliged to pick them up, if only to sell them, because they're scattered literally everywhere.
    But I never feel like I need to use any of them, or that I would be particularly benefited by using them.
    And so many of them have different icons for the same fucking effect. I have to constantly mouse over them and read them to remember what they're even supposed to fucking do.

Agreed. Each company having their own consumables that give the same buffs sounds good on paper, but in practice...yikes.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Consumables were too convoluted, which was made worse by each having a description like a retail item.

Fallouts are intuitive, Mentats, Buffout, Psycho, Jet. There might be more I'm missing plus booze, but booze is booze, you know what it does, and it tends to reduce perception and boost charisma. There's too many here. It makes sense in universe but it's not fun.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Items with the same effect will automatically replace each other when they run out.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Items with the same effect will automatically replace each other when they run out.

Unless they have a longer duration. Either way its not easy to manage

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    I finished my stealth run of the game. I only reached level 27 by the time I ran out of quests to do. Turns out that you don't gain very much XP if you aren't killing things.

There are a small handful of quests with mandatory fights, but even on hard difficulty, all of them can be managed by ignoring them and coming back later with overleveled gear. Probably the most challenging fight that can't be bypassed in some way is the one at the end of Nyoka's companion quest, but I found a way to cheese that. If you keep running up the entrance to the area, you'll lose aggro, allowing you to get multiple sneak attacks in.

Felix ended up leaving my party at the 11th hour due to a particular decision I made. Apparently, convincing him to stay requires a pretty massive investment in both Inspiration and Determination. His companion quest was bugged, so I never managed to start it. As such, I don't know if completing it has any affect on this confrontation.

I think my biggest criticism of the game is that there aren't enough high level dialogue checks, and the few that do exist are usually some form of asking NPCs for more money, which becomes worthless after the first hour because this is still a CRPG. Increasing each of your dialogue skills to around 65 or so will allow you pass every important dialogue check in the game, right up until the final quest.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Some consumables don't seem to work at all. Like the meds that improve companion ability cooldown and TTD recharge rate by 50%. Whether using them from the inhaler or within the inventory menu there is no effect. There isn't even a status symbol by or health bar or an effect listed in the Character menu details page when you use them.

Edit:
    Fiddled with the respec machine and it turns out that taking the Quick and the Dead perk that gives you TTD 50% recharge rate permanently makes those meds have no effect, it doesn't stack with the perk. Also the companion ability cooldown med buff is shown by their HP bars and over their heads when you point at them, and in the details sections of the companion menus.

BronzeKoopa on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

One of the problems I'm having with all the litter is that it kills the game thematically for me. How am I supposed to believe that this is a world crippled by economic inequality when there's constant loot lying around for the picking?

I assume that the Fallout games probably had the same problem, but I never got around to playing them.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I feel I should add this to the thread, because it's kind of amazing.

Taylor Swope is an Outer Worlds dev.
    We released patch 1.2 of #TheOuterWorlds today, and it includes a fix for the dreaded "the game thinks my companions are dead" bug, which I believe I spent more time investigating than I have for any other individual bug in my career (1/18)

I recommend reading the entire thread for an example of just how weird bugs can be, but I'll include the 18th and final tweet with video in spoiler.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    So, I got this game and I played through it, finally finishing it today.

It was good, definitely not great though. Consumables were an absolute mess to manage. Weapons weren't very interesting, by the end I either used a the Mk II deadeye that I made godlike or the nray LMG I had. Those 2 covered 99.9% of all situations for me. The combat was clunky, not particularly well done. I didn't find the visuals appealing, as I do not like the "old retro future tech" feel to stuff. I used the companions as bullet distractions, they were basically useless.
    I sided with Welles in the end. I completed every companion quest, so I got all the companion stuff at the end.
    The board turned on me after I did the Alien Conspiracy quest, so I made Byzantium a ghost town (Captain Soggybiscuit does not appreciate treachery).
    This made it weird when I got the "Byzantium residents would have to adapt and even get jobs" thing at the end.

I think if they want to make a sequel, they really need to go back to the drawing board on the combat. Look to Doom for inspiration, as it is near perfection for what can be accomplished. They could probably do with a few optimization passes before release as well.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    Peril on Gorgon DLC is out.

Played a bit today. Skill checks can go all the way to 150 now, so be prepared to be locked out of some stuff at first unless you're willing to respec.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Made some progress on the new DLC. So far there have been plenty of dumb options during conversations. The writing thus far is consistent with the base game, meaning funny and engaging. And there’s high level loot everywhere. First impressions are positive!

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    Finished the DLC. It's mostly just more of what you loved about the vanilla release, but they do add some new quests that really take advantage of the space opera setting.
    My favorite is a new quest were you get blindsided out of nowhere by pirates who attempt to board your ship (poorly). Having your home come directly under attack creates a greater sense of urgency than anything in the vanilla game.

Regarding the final confrontation:
    You'll need to have one of the three dialog skills reach the new cap of 150 to arrive at a diplomatic solution that will make everyone happy (and net you a reward from both opposing parties).

By the end of the DLC, I had gotten my sneak skill up to around 188 with modifiers, which turned my character into a god of stealth. I could be out in the open with no cover, and most enemies still wouldn't see me. And even the ones who did would have to ruminate on what they were looking at for several seconds before it would occur to them that they should be alarmed.