As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pokémon] Scorbunnies and Shedinja: Hatching Dreepy 1000 times

ButlerButler 89 episodes or bustRegistered User regular
edited April 2020 in Social Entropy++
Pokémon! What are they? I mean they're not quite porks, but they're not quite lemons either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grO7u1R866o

Pokémon is a series of video games for people aged children and upwards. In these games, your mission is to journey across the world, meeting strange and beautiful creatures (the titular Pokémon) while viciously bludgeoning said creatures into a state of blind subservience to your will and yours alone. This condition is known in the pokéverse as "friendship."

The latest edition of Pokémon, Sword and Shield, released on November 15th, and contains 400 of these innocent beings with the apparent intelligence of a human toddler. So many chances to attain ultimate power! So many new kinds of pain to inflict and, in your quieter moments, feel!

Anyway my favourite Pokémon is Ninetails because it is graceful and floofy but also destroys everything in its path

and I'm just like, yes. Finally.

Finally.

Butler on

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I just scooped up a Fire Stone and evolved my Vulpix and now I too have a Ninetails!

Still trying to figure out if Poke Jobs is really worth it vs just playing raids for candy

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I don't actually have one yet, sadly. Vulpix/Ninetails is one of those mons that stops learning moves when it evolves, and my self-imposed rule is not to evolve them until after they've learned all their moves, or at least all their good ones. And Vulpix is a bit of a glass cannon so it's mostly getting share xp for now.

Butler on
    Ah shoot
    Hmm

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Wonder trading has allowed me to fill out my dex very nicely.

The only thing I need for all the Galar Pokemon is a fish and a drake fossil.

And the Legendaries but eh.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Ah shoot
    Hmm

This does not have to be a problem unless you irrationally refuse to use TMs like I do.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Someone surprise trade sent me a lvl1 drewpy from Japan, I threw it in a box then hit up the next den raid and the leader was using dragapault and I hadn't seen one before and then I immediately filled that drewpy with candy and haven't let it out of my sight since

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Fossil pokemon complete.

Gotta say these are horrifying.

And I love them.

Welcome to the team, "Hhehheeelpph", ""Plleeaasese", "Kkiilk nmeee", and "Steve".

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Can we all take a moment to appreciate how perfect Galarian Rapidash is

So majestic

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    Man the Marnie battle theme is such a good track. Another check in the column of why she should have been the main rival and not Hop the Turnip

Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I got a Japanese Ditto from secret trade so that's good. I haven't encountered them myself yet.

I also now have TWO Alcremie types: vanilla cream and lemon cream. I managed to get every Vivillon so I am determined to get every Alcremie.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Pelipper is the only rain setter now?

Gotta breed me some seagulls

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Butler wrote: »
    I don't actually have one yet, sadly. Vulpix/Ninetails is one of those mons that stops learning moves when it evolves, and my self-imposed rule is not to evolve them until after they've learned all their moves, or at least all their good ones. And Vulpix is a bit of a glass cannon so it's mostly getting share xp for now.

someone mentioned in the last thread, you can take it to the move relearner and put fire blast, flamethrower, and extrasensory on it right after evolving

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Toxtricity is my new best friend

6F32U1X.png
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Where can I get a Goomy in shield? It's going to be the one non-new pokemon I use in my team

JtgVX0H.png
    Darmak wrote: »
    Where can I get a Goomy in shield? It's going to be the one non-new pokemon I use in my team

I've heard you can find them on the island in the Wild Area with Dittos, which you need to be able to cross water to get to

I managed to get a Sliggo in a raid

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I have realized that my current team in Sword is almost all quite fragile. At gym 3 now and I've managed to keep myself from getting too overleveled by running from most wild battles.
    Raboot, Barraskewda, Bolthund, Corvisquire, and Roselia all take hits very poorly. Togetic, my sixth, is decently tanky and will be even better after it evolves, but it's still catching up in level.

Since I'm playing on Set I can't get free swaps in battles, so I need some more beef on my team. I usually pick a tanky water type but the only new one I've found that might fit is Drednaw, which for whatever reason I'm just not feeling.

I'm avoiding spoilers, but are there any other bulky water-type options for me in the new Pokemon? If not, I know I have options from older gens. Picked up a Wimpod last night and I've never used Golisopod before, and I remember seeing Milotic in previews so I could look around for a Feebas. But I'd like to have something to take in to this Fire Gym, and those are both longer-term investments.

Drednaw might fit your bill. Evolves from Chewtle

Yeah, as I mentioned I'm not a fan of the design for whatever reason. If I can't get anything else I might pull one in for now with the intention to swap it later.

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i think you can get a wooper/quagsire in the first wild area?

7yh4xczljsym.png
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Yeah, as I mentioned I'm not a fan of the design for whatever reason. If I can't get anything else I might pull one in for now with the intention to swap it later.

Oh, missed that part

Not many other new water types, apart from Barraskewda line and Cramorant and the starter

Oh and two of the fossils, but they might not be your deal

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I named my Dracovish the only words i could think when i saw it: I'm Sorry

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Its mighty legs are capable of running at speeds exceeding 40 mph, but this Pokémon can't breathe unless it's underwater.

What the fuck.

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Oh that ditto is so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute I love ditto

So far my team is ... incredibly edgelord looking?

Rillaboom
    Corviknight
    Drednaw
    Centiscorch
    Toxtricity

I had Obstagoon but as I was mostly using them for Pickup I set them aside

I need to add cute ones! I'm thinking an Alcremie or a Rapidash? I've juuuuust hit the woods so the latter wasn't an option yet. And I'm reluctant to pull the trigger on the former because I haven't started my Alcremie breeding. But I also want that steel/dragon although it only increases the Edgelord rating

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Can I also say that in terms of QOL it's wonderous that you can now rejig a full team to put in an egg/put the egg or a 'mon in the box, right from talking to the nursery worker. Or choosing a 'mon to breed from the box. That is going to save so much time I have probably lost at least an hour of my life trying to talk to them when my team was full, running back to the PC, etc. Especially in swapping who was at the nursery!

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I am not using many of the new dudes at ALL but I just got applin so that's about to change

if a Pokemon has a Gigantamax form in its unevolved stage, does it also get one when when it evolves?

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Is there a way to tell if something has a gigantamax form? I know my meowth does from the gift version but don't know how to see it.

It's there ever a reason not to just pop dynamax at the start of raids since you get a free one?

Is there a good printable chart showing elemental weaknesses, and also how they combine, because some of it is non intuitive.

steam_sig.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Rolling up to Wyndon, hopefully will close out the story tonight. (Found the 2% spawn Stonejourner almost immediately but accidentally killed it, remembering right after I attacked that it has 20!! special defense ;_;)

Here's the team as it stands:
    Leon the Intelleon
    Alisandra the Alcremie (the most basic one, I think strawberry vanilla? The one you get for a daytime short clockwise spin)
    jaaskiTrans the Hatterene
    Britney the Toxtricity
    Applejack the Flapple
    Trebuchette the Dragapult (got it at lvl 45 bc I got it from someone else's raid before the 6th gym lmao)

Britney is just rejoining the team after using Bear Grills the Stunfisk for the last few gyms, I felt like I needed better electric coverage than a random t-bolt on Trebuchette. And she still covers fairie, so that's good.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Current team is a team of real good mons:

Toxapex
    Rapidash
    Coalossal
    Perrserker
    Drakloak
    Grimmsnarl

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    if a Pokemon has a Gigantamax form in its unevolved stage, does it also get one when when it evolves?

I think the Gigantamax Meowth/Pikachu/Eevee just can't evolve.

Is there a way to tell if something has a gigantamax form? I know my meowth does from the gift version but don't know how to see it.

It's there ever a reason not to just pop dynamax at the start of raids since you get a free one?

Is there a good printable chart showing elemental weaknesses, and also how they combine, because some of it is non intuitive.

GMax is indicated by a red X shape at the top of the screen when looking at a Pokemon in the box. Only Pokemon who are caught GMaxed in raids will have the ability.

Your raid team only gets one DMax for the whole team, so it should probably go to the strongest member.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »

I think the Gigantamax Meowth/Pikachu/Eevee just can't evolve.

Yeah you cannot use a stone on the special eevee

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    The advanced raid strat is to try and gauge in what order your mons will go in to determine when to use it. The ideal is every max attack taking off two bars of shield while all the other tiny mon do the real damage.

But also just ripping it off turn 1 will get the job done 90% of the time.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Does anyone know the earliest point you can find a Thunder Stone in Sword? I've got a Charjabug I want to evolve but I haven't come across the stone yet. I'm just past the 4th gym.

Oh, something I noticed last night: Roost is no longer a TM, and the number of Pokemon who can learn it has been cut WAY down. My Togekiss will have to rely on Wish or Life Dew to heal instead.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

GMax is indicated by a red X shape at the top of the screen when looking at a Pokemon in the box. Only Pokemon who are caught GMaxed in raids will have the ability.

Your raid team only gets one DMax for the whole team, so it should probably go to the strongest member.

Ah, that's me right now cause I've just been doing random trainers. No point waiting 3 minutes for it to fail to find people for a fight I can win in 1-2 rounds mostly solo.

Presumably at some point they get harder and require actual humans? Also is that 1 dynamax at any given time (makes sense given the size) or one dynamax per team fight?

steam_sig.png

Ah, that's me right now cause I've just been doing random trainers. No point waiting 3 minutes for it to fail to find people for a fight I can win in 1-2 rounds mostly solo.

Presumably at some point they get harder and require actual humans? Also is that 1 dynamax at any given time (makes sense given the size) or one dynamax per team fight?

One dynamax per team fight. When you first unlock 4 stars you'll probably need help; eventually 4 stars will be soloable, but as far as I can tell 5 stars are impossible because the AI just dies too quickly.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg