As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's Party Thyme in the [PLANTS] Thread!

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I have so many excess jalapenos from my backyard crop, and they are so hot that I won't be able to eat them fast enough before they go bad. So I'm going to slice them into rings and pickle them. I've never done it before but it looks pretty easy. I'm not exactly sure how to season the mix, based on random google searching I'm going to add pepper corns, coriander seeds, maybe a couple bay leaves, and some garlic.

Also my four legal Canadian cannabis plants have yielded almost a pound of dried weed which is way more than I know what to do with and was SO MUCH FUCKING WORK to trim. Now I know why weed costs what it does in stores.

JELLY JELLY JELLY MAKE JELLY JALAPENO JELLY IS AMAZING

I never even considered that. I'm going to stick to my plan of pickling for now. Maybe next year!

do think about it in the future, it's amazing, i haven't had jalapeno jelly in years :(

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I have so many excess jalapenos from my backyard crop, and they are so hot that I won't be able to eat them fast enough before they go bad. So I'm going to slice them into rings and pickle them. I've never done it before but it looks pretty easy. I'm not exactly sure how to season the mix, based on random google searching I'm going to add pepper corns, coriander seeds, maybe a couple bay leaves, and some garlic.

Also my four legal Canadian cannabis plants have yielded almost a pound of dried weed which is way more than I know what to do with and was SO MUCH FUCKING WORK to trim. Now I know why weed costs what it does in stores.

JELLY JELLY JELLY MAKE JELLY JALAPENO JELLY IS AMAZING

I never even considered that. I'm going to stick to my plan of pickling for now. Maybe next year!

do think about it in the future, it's amazing, i haven't had jalapeno jelly in years :(

Look, I just don't think he's ready for that jelly. Nothing to be ashamed of.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    The succulent you could try taking cutting and starting a new plant. I doubt that current one will ever grow lower leaves in future. Do you know what it is?

I don't know what that top plant is but it looks a bit tragic. Could try repotting it if it's been in that pot a while?

The top plant is an anthurium. I had tried repotting it this summer but it didn't improve. It's been like this, with the two lonely leaves, for months.

Edit: I don't know why I didn't think of looking up how to propagate that succulent. Apparently I should be able to cut the stem off an inch from the top and let it dry out. It should shoot new roots that I can then replant. Thanks!

Succulents go that way if they aren't getting enough light

It won't grow leaves lower down, it's dropped them on purpose in favour of taller growth to try to put itself above whatever is blocking its light

We have one that does the same thing, but we have no South facing windows and are in Scotland so it's basically doomed

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    The succulent you could try taking cutting and starting a new plant. I doubt that current one will ever grow lower leaves in future. Do you know what it is?

I don't know what that top plant is but it looks a bit tragic. Could try repotting it if it's been in that pot a while?

The top plant is an anthurium. I had tried repotting it this summer but it didn't improve. It's been like this, with the two lonely leaves, for months.

Edit: I don't know why I didn't think of looking up how to propagate that succulent. Apparently I should be able to cut the stem off an inch from the top and let it dry out. It should shoot new roots that I can then replant. Thanks!

Succulents go that way if they aren't getting enough light

It won't grow leaves lower down, it's dropped them on purpose in favour of taller growth to try to put itself above whatever is blocking its light

We have one that does the same thing, but we have no South facing windows and are in Scotland so it's basically doomed

I feel like I've never gotten a straight answer from the internet as to what "dying lower leaves only" meant for plants.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    There's something about that sound that always struck me as a bit surreal and magical. Dusk, summer evening, a cast of deep blue light and a slight haze, and those frogs calling out somewhere in the woods.

Loved it.

One of my great joys right now is I live out in the country with a creek near the house. I love this time of year, light the fire pit and sit out by the creek reading and listening to the frogs and other wildlife.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    webguy20 wrote: »
    There's something about that sound that always struck me as a bit surreal and magical. Dusk, summer evening, a cast of deep blue light and a slight haze, and those frogs calling out somewhere in the woods.

Loved it.

One of my great joys right now is I live out in the country with a creek near the house. I love this time of year, light the fire pit and sit out by the creek reading and listening to the frogs and other wildlife.

yesssssss that sounds amazing

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Loved it.

yesssssss that sounds amazing

It's why I could live a lot of places, but the PNW will always be home.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I do miss the sounds of the peeper frogs that lived in the drainage ditch near my parents place.

In garden news, I've got my first strawberries slowly starting to turn red my sunflower patch is doing well, my yellow courgette/zucchini/squash has exploded, the snow peas have as well, but they're growing away from the trellis you dumb things, and perhaps the thing that has excited me the most

I have potatoes! In my grow bags!

I just put the seed potatoes into the dirt, instead of trying to let them sprout in the pantry first. There was nothing in there last weekend, but today there's a few leaves peaking up out of the dirt. Now, to cover them over with soil and keep doing that until the soil is the top of the bag and the leaves keep going up. And then I can harvest the potatoes.

I am ecstatic.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Growing and Foraging 100% of My Food - Day 333 Update 34:25
    https://youtu.be/xOmgGXywkGw
    For one year I am growing and foraging 100% of my food. That means no grocery stores, no restaurants and not even taking a nibble from a friends garden or pantry!

You might imagine me in the countryside living off the land or on a farm. I live in the urban environment of Orlando, Florida, in a 100 square foot tiny house that I built with repurposed materials. With no land of my own, I garden the front yards of people in my neighborhood and share the bounty with them. I take trips to nature to harvest the bounty and I also forage for food all over the city, where people walk by every single day, without ever noticing the abundance around them.

Food Freedom began November 11th 2018 and will go until November 11th 2019. This video was filmed on day 333 and released on day 339 of the project.

Peas on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    My kid keeps getting us to buy more flowers.

The front flower garden is insane looking, compared to what it used to look like (mostly all oxalis).

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I was out of the office for three weeks and my little cactus buddy has become sulky and withdrawn

48985640237_50ac2bef5e.jpg

hopefully its not dead and will revive with some water : (

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Plants I am currently failing at:
    - rosemary (don't know what's wrong with this one, it looked sad and the soil was very dry so I put it outside during the rain and now it looks even sadder and mostly dead)
    - coriander/cilantro (this one might be ok? It's a bit droopy but coriander tends to be, I'll try to remember to use some of the droopier bits tonight and see if the rest does any better. Not looking GREAT though.)
    - basil (trimmed back my previous basil plant which was getting old and had yielded me many herbs, got given some seeds in a biodegradable pot at a UCS event. Planted them on Sunday and they have thus far failed to sprout, I'll give it another day or two before officially calling it but I think these seeds are a non-starter)

I genuinely don't understand how people keep green things alive, they're totally enigmatic and refuse to communicate clearly. A while back I drew up the schematics for a cyborg plant as a joke, am now starting to think this is the only way I will be able to have anything growing in my house.

Robegonia

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Plants I am currently failing at:
    - rosemary (don't know what's wrong with this one, it looked sad and the soil was very dry so I put it outside during the rain and now it looks even sadder and mostly dead)
    - coriander/cilantro (this one might be ok? It's a bit droopy but coriander tends to be, I'll try to remember to use some of the droopier bits tonight and see if the rest does any better. Not looking GREAT though.)
    - basil (trimmed back my previous basil plant which was getting old and had yielded me many herbs, got given some seeds in a biodegradable pot at a UCS event. Planted them on Sunday and they have thus far failed to sprout, I'll give it another day or two before officially calling it but I think these seeds are a non-starter)

I genuinely don't understand how people keep green things alive, they're totally enigmatic and refuse to communicate clearly. A while back I drew up the schematics for a cyborg plant as a joke, am now starting to think this is the only way I will be able to have anything growing in my house.

13meefz8h01i.png

I don't know why herbs are so difficult. I've managed to keep over a dozen indoor plants alive now for over a year, but herbs always die.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Can i posted my planted fishtank in here

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I’m not NightDragon but I say yes please!!! I’d love to see a planted fish tank, I have hopes of owning my own one day.

edited October 2019
    2xr3zysks16l.jpeg

Here is it at its hayday

Unfortunately I bought a new filter that made more co2 escape so it looks a bit sadder now

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    ch6u5p56qutp.jpeg

Double post but

This plant grew in a month from a bulb. It is now growing giant long leaves that leave the water. They grow 2 inches a day. No matter how much I clipped stems it didnt stop so I gave up. Im having a blast watching seeing how unruly it can get. The long leaf pictured can now touch anywhere in the 50 gallon tank

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I don't know why herbs are so difficult. I've managed to keep over a dozen indoor plants alive now for over a year, but herbs always die.

Just not eating them soon enough

@Bluedude152 YESSSS! I always wanted to have a planted tank, definitely feel free to post about them here! :) This is an inclusive All Plants Welcome thread.

Also your tank looks fantastic! So lush! Has it been a challenge to do or figure out? I was never sure how much effort they required.

Veggie garden go!

@Bluedude152 YESSSS! I always wanted to have a planted tank, definitely feel free to post about them here! :) This is an inclusive All Plants Welcome thread.

Also your tank looks fantastic! So lush! Has it been a challenge to do or figure out? I was never sure how much effort they required.
    It is a constant fight of the right fish, water temperate, choosing the right soil, and supplements

Like I said earlier I nearly killed the while thing because I got a slightly stronger filter.

Had to go on a snail murder spree last night because hitchhikers were eating my boys
    D:<

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Meet the World's Tiniest Trees! | From Plant to Planet with Nellie Nilsen | BBC Earth 7:56
    https://youtu.be/7-_C1WaCnno
    2:20 for smallest tree

From growing fire-resistant bark to mimicking the smells of dung, plants have developed ingenious adaptations that let them thrive in the most hostile of environments. Join Nellie in her journey through arid deserts, freezing tundras and towering forests to discover the most Extreme Plants.

I have killed

40 snails that I did not know existed in my tank

That may explain why my grass got so short

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Goddamn that's a lotta snails

Summer garden!

• EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I have killed

40 snails that I did not know existed in my tank

That may explain why my grass got so short

I once cleaned a pond with my dad and saw hundreds. It sucked

In happier news, my winter greenhouse has a new light and one of my pineapples is finally growing fruit!

gedsg00638y2.jpg

0gxuxs7t7ppx.jpg

Einzel on
    Holy shit it's actually fruiting indoors! HOW EXCITING!!!

Do you know how long you have to wait to harvest? Is that possible? I've never seen an indoor pineapple plant that actually got to this stage so I am going to live vicariously through you.

It's only indoors during the winter and it picked a horrible time to start fruiting (fall). I once had another pineapple plant that fruited and it'll turn a proper gold color on the stalk when it's ready. I hope the fruit gets a little larger still though.

It’s nothing to look at, because everything has lost its leaves, but I have been doing some fall gardening!

Mori’s mom gave me iris bulbs she’d split from hers, so those went in the front yard bed, as well as some garlic, which I planted in the barrel I grew tomatoes in this past summer. 6 have sprouted, we’ll see if any more do!

I also planted two varieties of blueberry bushes; hopefully they grow well! Washington is an ideal state for blueberry growing, so we’ll see. I planted them in the flower bed at the back of the house where it gets nice and sunny. I removed the succulent that was growing there (it was too cold all summer for the succulent to flower, plus it was part of the water feature I removed and didn’t really suit the rest of my garden, which is all native and/or animal/bird friendly plants).

Anyway, since I can’t do too much outdoors I have been concentrating on houseplants.

2019-11-28%2010.31.53.jpg

I have a coffee plant, two peace lilies and a pinstripe plant, all shown here, that are doing very well. I had a third peace lily that I killed; I had it in a different spot and it got too moist.

Not pictured is a bird’s nest fern. It and the plants above are doing really well in my living room. My living room is super dark so I put a grow light on for 5-6 hours a day and so far all the plants have been loving that.

2019-12-03%2013.39.04.jpg

Plants at work, about a month old. Also all doing well; new leaves on all of them. The biggest one here is a false aralea and I read they’re very sensitive and can shed their leaves when moved too much, but this one survived being taken home and being repotted without losing a single leaf!

The fern here is a pteris fern and that super loves the office. I bought it in a tiny pot for $1.50 and it’s doubled in size, so I bought another for home. I also bought two more crotons as I hear they do well in bathrooms and I want a bathroom plant.

Wooooow @Janson, those plants look SUUUPER happy! I've been thinking my plants would also love a grow light (at least during these winter months). Do you have a recommendation? :)

Certainly!

I read a few guides and also reviews on amazon; there’s a ton of similar products so it was hard to choose, but I went by rating + number of reviews + availability and decided on this one, and I have definitely seen a difference. I bet any of the similar lamps on amazon would work as well, though! You can also get ones that emit a more natural light, but I quite like the pink/purple glow that one emits as a mood lighting.

My only reservation was the cheap usb plug it attached to grew really warm, so I swapped it out for a higher quality one.

My peace lilies have grown more blooms than the lily Mori’s mom bought at the same time as me, and the coffee plant started growing new leaves within days when it hadn’t grown anything for a month prior to me buying the lamp!

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Einzel wrote: »
    It's only indoors during the winter and it picked a horrible time to start fruiting (fall). I once had another pineapple plant that fruited and it'll turn a proper gold color on the stalk when it's ready. I hope the fruit gets a little larger still though.

It looks like it has another year or so of growth ahead of it. I'd expect to double in size, more likely triple. Did you start it from a cutting or from seeds?

aTBDrQE.jpg
    edited December 2019
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Ok, I have no idea what I did. I've had this orchid for several years now and it never bloomed since we bought it. I've basically neglected it, only watering every once in a while when I suddenly remember. And yet...

8nbaf5819ozu.jpg

I'm a botanical genius! My secret is... 'neglect!'

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    Skeith wrote: »

It looks like it has another year or so of growth ahead of it. I'd expect to double in size, more likely triple. Did you start it from a cutting or from seeds?

It was a top from a Walmart pineapple.

In other news, guess who has a spider mite infestation!?

Is...is it me? I hope it isn't me.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Jedoc wrote: »

Is...is it me? I hope it isn't me.

I hope it's not you, too.