As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Most Artisanal of Cozies [Artsy Farts and Crafty Asses]

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Oh man you guys! It was a good crafting night!
    I bandsawed out the ghost bits and drilled the magnet holes. Going to be putting finish and gluing magnets in tomorrow.
    jDzMgO9.jpg

I also had a controller stand finish on the CNC. This one will look pretty amazing I think, but I need to finish the middle part thing (need to model a new one).
    rTOKEe0.jpg

Also did the vinyl cutter for a sign. I'm going to try that process of removing the galvanization.
    UiAlhoJ.jpg
    I'm hoping it turns out alright, because I think these little signs could make good gifts.

And then I've also been wanting to find a project that is more family/kid friendly at the space. I think the current activity I have planed would be a great parent/child project. The child would water color (or the adult, I'm not picky), and then we'd laser out a design from the painting and then either add it to a black (or some contrast color) backing and frame it.
    Here's sort of what I'm thinking:
    4gJklgO.jpg

R1qSTOQ.jpg

This was water colored after the fact:
    mnVBgbl.jpg

Edit: I realize I could cut the watercolor paper with the vinyl cutter thing as well. Means I could make the class portable.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    That is a good nights craft!

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Progress is made, more studio time tomorrow to make the stones fit.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Does anyone have home cutter/plotter suggestion?
    Not looking to drop $$$$ but I also want something that is good and has good support.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    A place I know of got a Laserpoint 3 (used maybe?) for a great price, though they didn't tell me how much. They seemed pretty happy with it, and are using it in their business.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Does anyone have home cutter/plotter suggestion?
    Not looking to drop $$$$ but I also want something that is good and has good support.

The Cricut Air Explore 2 I just got is on sale basically everywhere for $199.

• Options
    WindburnWindburn Registered User regular
    Windburn wrote: »
    (Cross-post from H/A)

I recently purchased a Bosch RA1181 router table which has an aluminum top. It's a little rough and grabbing the wood. Has anyone had any luck sanding something like this before? If so, what grit? Wet or dry? Power or hand? etc. Thanks!

Thank you for the help and advice. I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

Thought some of you might like to see the before and after images.
    I used a combination rotary and ROB sander with progressively finer grit (50 to 1200), followed by polishing with Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish, and finally paste wax.

Before
    m1hmkkais6x8.jpg
    1mv8e3a858d6.jpg
    iy20dsa0si3o.jpg
    gf4mpqbmhpfk.jpg

After
    1cdfoy6ck3jl.jpg
    d8p93j220h7z.jpg
    woltf6aelua1.jpg

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Damn, that thing looks slick as hell now, you're gonna have to hold on to your lumber extra tight!

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I was pruning my maple tree yesterday and ended up sawing off a green branch (it was crossing/rubbing against another branch) that’s the perfect width and length for a walking stick. Is there anything I should/shouldn’t do when it comes to drying out the wood?

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    I was pruning my maple tree yesterday and ended up sawing off a green branch (it was crossing/rubbing against another branch) that’s the perfect width and length for a walking stick. Is there anything I should/shouldn’t do when it comes to drying out the wood?

if it's that small, probably not

I'd let it hang out outside for a few weeks. You could wax the ends to prevent splitting, but odds are it won't.

• Options
    I made a quick thing at the makerspace tonight. We had our general meeting and I need to make a few quick gifts to send off. I made a candy dish thing. Going to make a few more of these to send out to different family members.
    I'm not a big fan of oak, but I think this looks pretty alright

Also got a shirt and mug from carbide 3d (the people who make the CNC's I use), so I'm a total shill for the company now.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    This year, I finally started taking college courses again, having accepted that my workplace is (probably) not going to pay for me to get a degree. One thing I realized about paying for my own schooling, though, is that it means I can put in courses that are just for me instead of 100% IT based. So for the Spring semester, I've signed up for Ceramics I at the community college.

My eventual goal is to create something like Marina Bychkova's Enchanted doll. An example of one of her works:

7wBL94f.jpg

I don't expect I will get her level of artistry and mastery at once, but making my own dolls (in one form or another) has been on my mind most of my life. What inspires me about ceramic dolls is they have less impermanence than dolls made of fabric, vinyl, or resin. They can be dropped and cracked, but otherwise ceramic is a fairly strong material and doesn't fade over time.

Honestly if I could afford to just buy an Enchanted doll I totally would, but I decided to inquire recently just to get an idea what she sells for, and the current doll (not pictured) costs $60k. I don't doubt it's worth every penny, but I don't have that kind of lucre.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Back on my mini painting bullshit with a brand new scheme for some new minis I'm very proud of haha

IMG-20191208-172937.jpg

Really need to think of a decal colour and system to use, break it up a bit

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Solar wrote: »
    Back on my mini painting bullshit with a brand new scheme for some new minis I'm very proud of haha

IMG-20191208-172937.jpg

Really need to think of a decal colour and system to use, break it up a bit

Maybe do some sparse highlights in the same/similar colour to those knee gems(?)/ whatever they are. The contrast would be interesting

Edit: or is that a screwhead

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The knees (and around the back of the legs and arms too have some under-armour layer which I wanted to give like a jewel-y glow. It looks nice I think! I'm tempted to do the same effect in all the little spots on the helmet, gauntlets and so on where there's the small recessed outlets. That's spread the colour.

• Options
    Okay, we’re on the same level here, I think that’s a really cool look.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i've been drowning under a pile of cotton lately, trying to get facecloths done as teacher End of Year presents done

I really want to get back to my soft and silky yumminess soon

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    one holiday craft gift complete: shawl
    remaining:
    1) steampunk: 1. keychain, 2. brooch, potential 3. clock hat
    2 & 3) armwarmers started for last year's gifting
    4 & 5) dragonfly necklaces

ogoooooooooooood

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I've got....

75% of a facecloth left to go, and then I'm going to try and squeeze in another shawl.

I'm not hopeful of that one happening

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    dke9tx24swsn.jpeg

O f f i c e c a t

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Update: My coworkers keep petting it and it weirds me out

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Man, these last weeks before Christmas are insane for craft projects.

I’m leading a group of 8-year-old Cub Scouts in making picture frames from chair rails tomorrow night - just in case they need to give someone a present in the next couple weeks, wink wink - and so I did 90% of the mitering last night because otherwise we'd never finish. My arm is feeling it today after a couple solid hours of sawing 45-degree angles over, and over, and over ... This was not helped by the fact that the 45-degree slots on the miter box are the furthest apart, and so you've got the shortest amount of usable saw footprint before the tip slides out of the guides and screws things up. Eurgh. Then I stayed up a little bit later to put together one of them as an example. This was good, because it let me know that the screws I bought were ever-so-slightly too long, thanks to the natural positioning of the corner brackets on the back, the design of the chair rail, and the head shape of the screws. So now I need to make two runs tomorrow - one for screws (which I really, really hope HD / Lowe's have, because their online selection sucks rocks) and one for mat board.

And I am totally hip deep in putting together some stained glass projects for my kids and my nieces and my Secret Santa. They're taking longer than anticipated thanks to an Amazon delivery getting delayed and subsequently pushing back my start date, but the couple of pieces I've gotten together are looking really, really freakin' adorable. They're going to be amazing when they're done. Just, you know, no sleep for the wicker. That's a typo, but I like it better than the correct word.

Holy cow it's fun, though! Anyone else volunteering for insane winter holiday hobby-work schedules, or am I the only goose in the room?

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    I have finished the face cloths for teachers.

Now I get to start on the shawl for my bestie. I'm not aiming for Christmas though, this is meant to be for when she has her next kid. And she's due end of march.

• Options
    I have so much I want to accomplish before I leave Wednesday. I know a good chunk is just not going to happen. I've tossed a few things over to the 'after holidays' queue.

• Options
    Radiation wrote: »
    I have so much I want to accomplish before I leave Wednesday. I know a good chunk is just not going to happen. I've tossed a few things over to the 'after holidays' queue.

I hear you

I haven't touched the guitar in maybe a month

I look at my google calendar and it's a tapestry of color indicating that I don't have time to even sit down much less make intricate routing templates =/

• Options
    ypx606zq3pbi.jpg
    u1zev0rcl3kd.jpg
    maybe too subtle on the steampunk?

no subtlety here:
    u9rk4v2hkyab.jpg
    oxigsk78228g.jpg

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Ooh that is beautiful!

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    DEM COLORS, THO.

• Options
    why is no link to pattern! Need link to pattern!
    soooooo pretttyyyyyyyyy

• Options
    edited December 2019
    technically, it's Snowberry, but i found the directions kinda obtuse for how simple the idea is. plus, Snowberry is single color; i cut out each color of Caron Cake (in Funfetti) and did a bunch of weighing to get even sections.

so here's my edit:
    sl1-yo: slip the next st while creating a YO; ie, wyif, slip the (purl) st pwise, lay yarn over needle, ready to knit next st. the YO is not counted as its own st.
    BRK (Brioche knit): knit the (knit) st and its accompanying YO together.

CO 3.
    Row 1: kf&b, sl1-yo, kf&b. (5 sts)
    Row 2: kf&b, sl1-yo, BRK, sl1-yo, kf&b. (7 sts)
    Row 3: kf&b, sl1-yo, * BRK, sl1-yo * rep to last st, kf&b. (2 st inc.)
    Repeat Row 3 until a row+ into final color.
    BO in rib.

with my gauge & 5.5mm needles, ~2yd/g & ~1.5”/st = every 50 sts needs about 75” or 1g.
    the first shawl i did, i bound off at 251 sts using a 206g ball, this one was 233 sts with 200g.

last year's version:
    Studio_20181210_000334_medium2.jpg

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    oohhhhhh it's a brioche stitch!

that's on my list for next year.

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Did some smaller stuff while waiting for the Harry Potter stitch-your-own-adventure chapters to start in January. I've become totally obsessed with cross stitch and work on it at pretty much any idle moment.

9xxnogo2k6or.jpg

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    so here's my edit:
    sl1-yo: slip the next st while creating a YO; ie, wyif, slip the (purl) st pwise, lay yarn over needle, ready to knit next st. the YO is not counted as its own st.
    BRK (Brioche knit): knit the (knit) st and its accompanying YO together.

CO 3.
    Row 1: kf&b, sl1-yo, kf&b. (5 sts)
    Row 2: kf&b, sl1-yo, BRK, sl1-yo, kf&b. (7 sts)
    Row 3: kf&b, sl1-yo, * BRK, sl1-yo * rep to last st, kf&b. (2 st inc.)
    Repeat Row 3 until a row+ into final color.
    BO in rib.

with my gauge & 5.5mm needles, ~2yd/g & ~1.5”/st = every 50 sts needs about 75” or 1g.
    the first shawl i did, i bound off at 251 sts using a 206g ball, this one was 233 sts with 200g.

... instructions unclear, summoned Cthulhu. :D

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    pooka wrote: »

I am not sure your hammock will support anyone's weight, but it sure looks dope!

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Someone from the childs play dinner reached out. They didn't win bidding on the ghost (which went for way more than I thought it would), but wanted to commission one. So I guess I have a few more to make.

Also I tried the wooden lathe last night at the makerspace. Not a big fan. Was hoping to whip out a few wands for family when we go to universal studios in about a week and a half.
    Trying my hand at designing one and then either 3d printing it or CNCing it.

Edit:
    Because of course scope creep is a thing, I'm playing with the idea of making the wand bit hollow and running some wire in so that I can put an LED light on the tip of the wand.

Here's images so far:
    uVO3ED0.png
    y1iJfTf.png
    V746efU.png

And playing around with rendering
    BRjsnLS.png

Radiation on
  • Options
    Umm.

Wand grabby hands

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So I've been talking about this in the house thread but I've been working on my prep supplies in case of emergencies, and part of that is making some candles up so we have an unpowered way of generating light. Also because candles are fun and nice to have around. My first batch I'm doing in enameled camping mugs because rustic. Made up 8 a couple weeks ago, these four being part of that. These are 100% soy candles with just a touch of vanilla scent (about 3-5% by weight). They smell great when burning, just a hint of vanilla, and last about 50 hours per mug.

I just picked up 45lbs of new wax today, and have 2 more mugs to fill, and 10 other random old candles to refill. The worst part is melting down the old candles and cleaning out the vessels. Commercial candles have way too much scent for me normally, so melting down so many in a short amount of time has me seeing stars. Anyways, once those are filled I'll switch over to 2" votive candles. Figure it'll take about 10lbs to fill up the big containers, so at 2oz a votive I should be seeing about 270-280 candles once it all shakes out. I have 100 wicks currently so I'll do that as a test run and see how it goes. The votive candles will be unscented, and should burn for about 5-8 hours apiece.

Picture!
    x1ylvz3xx78y.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I love wood wicks and I had no idea they were available to regular folk

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I love wood wicks and I had no idea they were available to regular folk

Yea there is a myriad of different options available. The ones I'm using are just random amazon ones. They look nice but don't crackle much. When they run out I'm going to try out these folks. https://woodenwick.com

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981