As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I will trade anyone at a very favorable rate for their mechs in exchange for my Myth or Zombicide minis lol.

Well, hmm, you might be onto something there. But which Zombicide?

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Anyone interested in fiction?
    MechWarrior 5 Tie-In Fiction by Randall N. Bills Now Available as Free Download

Catalyst Game Labs’ own Randall N. Bills will introduce BattleTech fans to the characters and setting of the upcoming MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries with an eight-part cycle of novellas – and the first installment is now available as a free download.

The exciting first chapter of the MechWarrior 5 Origins Series, “The Calm of the Void,” is now available through your favorite e-publication retailer; for a full list and to find future installments of the series, visit https://mw5mercs.com/novellas.

Additional stories will be released as free e-pubs every few days leading up to the Dec. 10 launch of Piranha Games' MechWarrior 5 on PC via the Epic Games Store.

“I'm incredibly grateful to once again have the opportunity to contribute to this amazing universe we all love, working with the great team at Piranha,” said Bills, Managing Director for Catalyst Game Labs. “I hope the serial brings the coming MechWarrior 5 alive in wonderful, new ways. I know I can't wait to hear 'all systems nominal!’”

Standing as the series’ first mainline installment in nearly two decades, MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries puts pilots in charge of their own mercenary outfit across a multi-year campaign set during the Third and Fourth Succession Wars.

To learn more about MechWarrior 5 and pre-order the game, visit https://mw5mercs.com/.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Fuselage wrote: »
    I will trade anyone at a very favorable rate for their mechs in exchange for my Myth or Zombicide minis lol.

Black Plague.

What is this I don't even.
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Have any of you guys seen this thing on Sarna? Robert N. Charrette is auctioning some of his personal painted battlemech mini collection (with this great 'certificate of authenticity', see below). Charrette wrote several novels for Battletech developing the Draconis Combine and Wolf's Dragoons, and more relevantly, was the sculptor for a bunch of the original mech minis made by Ral Partha. Charrette was also involved in Shadowrun back in the day, but I'm not aware to what extent beyond writing some novels.
    6cgpfstk48uu.jpeg
    Read the interview if you'd like to know why he's in armor.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Have any of you guys seen this thing on Sarna? Robert N. Charrette is auctioning some of his personal painted battlemech mini collection (with this great 'certificate of authenticity', see below). Charrette wrote several books for Battletech developing the Draconis Combine and Wolf's Dragoons, and more relevantly, was the sculptor for a bunch of the original mech minis made by Ral Partha. Charrette was also involved in Shadowrun back in the day, but I'm not aware to what extent beyond writing some novels.
    6cgpfstk48uu.jpeg

There's a thread on the main forums where the lances are/were getting posted as eye candy, but I didn't realize they were being auctioned off. That's neat.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Have any of you guys seen this thing on Sarna? Robert N. Charrette is auctioning some of his personal painted battlemech mini collection (with this great 'certificate of authenticity', see below). Charrette wrote several books for Battletech developing the Draconis Combine and Wolf's Dragoons, and more relevantly, was the sculptor for a bunch of the original mech minis made by Ral Partha. Charrette was also involved in Shadowrun back in the day, but I'm not aware to what extent beyond writing some novels.
    6cgpfstk48uu.jpeg

There's a thread on the main forums where the lances are/were getting posted as eye candy, but I didn't realize they were being auctioned off. That's neat.

@Nips Main forums...? Do you mean the CGL forums for Battletech, or the [painting miniatures] thread here, or something else?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    6cgpfstk48uu.jpeg

@Nips Main forums...? Do you mean the CGL forums for Battletech, or the [painting miniatures] thread here, or something else?

The main Battletech forums hosted by CGL.

Ah, right, thanks. For some reason I wasn't sure where you were referring to. I'll have to look that up.

camo_sig2-400.png

Black Plague.

If you have the Black Plague Kickstarter exclusive figures I'd be willing to throw mechs your way. :heartbeat:

Otherwise, I have a pretty aggressive collection already. :hydra:

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Okay, having an issue flipping through the add-ons for the Battletech Clan kickstarter.

So, I'm picking up the GoAC box, since I don't have that yet.

I don't quite understand what the Alphastrike Commander's Edition, Alphastrike Deck - Clan Invasion, Alphastrike Deck - Succession War, the BattleMech Manual Bundle, the TacOps stuff, the Tech Manual, Total Warfare ... Etc., etc., etc.

Is there a guide to what rules you actually need? :D

edited November 2019
    Of the rulebooks, here's what you need:

Do you want to play (Classic) Battletech? Get the Total Warfare OR the BattleMech Manual book. TW gives you all of the core rules for 'Mech combat, plus rules for support units (tanks, infantry, battle armor, aerospace, etc.) BMM gives you a 'Mech Only rules book, but is edited and streamlined to make looking things up easier, and adds a bunch of nice 'Mech only rules from the later rulebook line.

Do you want to play Alpha Strike (the streamline mass-combat version of Battletech)? Get the Alpha Strike Commander's Edition book. This book provides all of the core and expansion rules for Alpha Strike, leaving out only unit build and conversion rules you won't need if you're just playing.

You literally do not NEED any other books to play Battletech. Arguably, you can go a long way on what the GOAC box provides, but once you want support units or advanced equipment (past the Succession Wars era) you'll need one of the books mentioned above.

Nips on
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Additionally, the Alphastrike decks are sets of pre-printed record sheets used to mark off damage as you play. But you can also get Alphastrike record sheets for every unit that you can print out yourself for free at http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter

Record sheets for all mechs in Classic Battletech can be found at http://mordel.net/tro.php?a=v at the top of each unit's readout is an option to download in record sheets format. Or alphastrike format for that matter.

And while Tac Ops is for BT optional rules and advanced equipment, the Tech Manual is only for rules on creating custom BT units. Which except if you want it for the included fluff is entirely superfluous when you can download one of the mech creation apps like Solaris Skunkwerks https://github.com/Solaris-Skunk-Werks/solarisskunkwerks/releases/tag/v0.7.3 that handles everything for you to create a custom mech record sheet. Download the ssw_0.7.3.zip for the Java app and the ssw-master.zip to have all the preexisting mech designs to customize.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    If you're getting GoAC, do you need the Beginner Box?

edited November 2019
    Record sheets for all mechs in Classic Battletech can be found at http://mordel.net/tro.php?a=v at the top of each unit's readout is an option to download in record sheets format. Or alphastrike format for that matter.

Holy shit, I did not know this existed. WOW.

I thought skimming sheets off of Skunkwerks was a little ehhhhhh (but I do it anyway). This is just bonkers.

Nips on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

No. The Beginner Box has a set of very, very simplified rules intended for running quick games, cutting out heat management, structure damage, critical hits and physical combat. AGoAC keeps these rules around which better prepares you for the Total Warfare and Battlemech Manual rulesets.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    Ianator wrote: »

No. The Beginner Box has a set of very, very simplified rules intended for running quick games, cutting out heat management, structure damage, critical hits and physical combat. AGoAC keeps these rules around which better prepares you for the Total Warfare and Battlemech Manual rulesets.

Are there any minis that are only in the Beginner Box?

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular

Ah-yep. The Griffin is only available in the Beginner Box.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Not in my opinion. You're only really getting one different mech (Griffin) and one duplicate (Wolverine) to add to the 8 you'd get with GoAC and another double-sided map sheet.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.

Ah-yep. The Griffin is only available in the Beginner Box.

Cool - I can live without a Griffin.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    If you really wanted that Grifffin, though, you could pick one up as a Clan Invasion add on, with the "Inner Sphere Retaliation Force" (which are all the minis in GoAC and BB):

bBLO4HS.png

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Alternate CI box art!

065d306ae23bdf2172eb8b1d5d2a7f1b_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&w=700&fit=max&v=1574203074&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=6ec883ccfec84cb1a6e63715ac7e7af0

That art is very cool. But I think I would have preferred the original...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Iolo wrote: »
    That art is very cool. But I think I would have preferred the original...

You're not the only one. And handful of people on the official forums said much the same.

For me, I'm cool with it. And if I want the default art, I'mma grab another CI box from retail ;)

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    I will never be comfortable with the amount of tiny Stompy Robots in my possession.

Depending on the day I either feel like my backlog is too much, or then alternately I need more so as be literally buried alive by them.

honestly, i just need 4 of each. maybe 8 just to be sure.

kx3klFE.png
    edited November 2019
    I will never be comfortable with the amount of tiny Stompy Robots in my possession.

Depending on the day I either feel like my backlog is too much, or then alternately I need more so as be literally buried alive by them.

Ultimately, I think I'd be fine with 4 different mechs of each weight class for Inner Sphere, and 5 each for Clans (so 36 all told). You could proxy them for pretty much whatever you wanted that way and just make a note on the record sheet, with the aesthetic advantage that your stand-ins are the right size and tech base.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Black Plague.

If you have the Black Plague Kickstarter exclusive figures I'd be willing to throw mechs your way. :heartbeat:

I did the game plus Wulfsburg, plus hero boxes and all that. So, I do have them, the question is whether I could dig them out. They've basically all been repurposed as D&D minis for various games. Looking on the site, looks like it's: (Gowan, Lucas, James. NPC Zombies, dice, Hitch, Mortimer, 8 NPC Zombies, William, Danton, Troy and Evil Troy, Falstaff, Montalban, Xuxa, Morgan, Paul, Bob, Abominalpha, Grin, Queen Medea, Lady Faye, Gilbert, Scowl, Piper, Gregoire, Beauregard, Doctor Stormcrow, Chauncey, Abominarat).

I'm positive I know where at least some of those are, if not all of them. Looking, they're... more valuable than I realized? Huh.

What is this I don't even.

So I was recently introduced to the SLDF doctrine of single-design battalions, and honestly the concept terrifies me as a collector.

So I was recently introduced to the SLDF doctrine of single-design battalions, and honestly the concept terrifies me as a collector.

I mean, I would think at Battalion level you'd have some lances of supporting units, but the basic idea of entire lances or even companies using a single design to streamline logistics seems a lot more realistic.

camo_sig2-400.png

Black Plague.

I did the game plus Wulfsburg, plus hero boxes and all that. So, I do have them, the question is whether I could dig them out. They've basically all been repurposed as D&D minis for various games. Looking on the site, looks like it's: (Gowan, Lucas, James. NPC Zombies, dice, Hitch, Mortimer, 8 NPC Zombies, William, Danton, Troy and Evil Troy, Falstaff, Montalban, Xuxa, Morgan, Paul, Bob, Abominalpha, Grin, Queen Medea, Lady Faye, Gilbert, Scowl, Piper, Gregoire, Beauregard, Doctor Stormcrow, Chauncey, Abominarat).

I'm positive I know where at least some of those are, if not all of them. Looking, they're... more valuable than I realized? Huh.

Yeah, you're sitting on a gold mine. Ever since I saw the Monty Python characters I've had a meed in my heart.

Like LOTR Dwarves and anything shiny. I'm not sure how many mech packs sent your way would make that trade worth it, though. I'm willing to bet selling your BP Kickstarter exclusives would net you a decent chunk.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png

Black Plague.

Yea. I missed the black plague kickstarter and got all the extras second hand via eBay... Oof.

kx3klFE.png

I did spring for 4 of each mech in card board form. Many fond memories from my friends place back in the 80s where his dad had huge battles set up with plenty of combined armed forces.

kx3klFE.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    There are far more clans than I remember [I knew of maybe 7 or 9 long ago} But looking up lore I found he talked about 20+ clans many I never heard of

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    There were 20 founding Clans, at least two were erased long before the Clan Invasion.

Only 7 (IIRC) officially participated in the Invasion.

Afterwards the Homeworld Clans ate themselves and at least one new Clan formed because of that.

edited November 2019
    New career - Wombat's company The Unseen. Day 30...

9W2Dvxr.png

Going swimmingly...

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    There were 20 founding Clans, at least two were erased long before the Clan Invasion.

Only 7 (IIRC) officially participated in the Invasion.

Afterwards the Homeworld Clans ate themselves and at least one new Clan formed because of that.

What clan?
    As I forgot what this mech was called
    ss73hwn6yjuh.jpg
    A Black Lanner
    So not knowing at the time it lead me to the Ebon Jaguar
    dbueh8anpx9a.png
    And to much more lore as I was curious what happened to Smoke Jaguar and what their mechs were usually painted as. Sadly I looked around to see if there was a model/garage kit for it just the usual ones

edited November 2019
    The new Clan that formed was the Stone Lions. Basically the half of the Hells Horses that didn’t go to the Inner Sphere post-Refusal had to be re-identified as an entire new Clan
    The reason is that the home world Clans went super isolationist because they believed that the Inner Sphere “tainted” the Invading Clans because there’s no other reason they could have failed.

Nobody on
    edited November 2019
    Company commander Wombat is in Medbay.

Guardian, would you please do the honors of taking our new acquisition out...

jjht1Wo.png

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    That looks so beautiful there... Dangit now I need to play more!!!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    edited November 2019
    Okay, so more detailed post on the Clans, how many there are and were. Destroyed clans are marked with *:
    Original Clans:
    *Blood Spirit (destroyed during Wars of Reaving)
    *Burrocks (absorbed into Star Adders during the Wars of Reaving, briefly resurrected during a rebellion, then wiped out)
    Cloud Cobras (still around after the Wars of Reaving)
    Coyote (still around after the Wars of Reaving)
    *Fire Mandrill (wiped out during Wars of Reaving)
    Ghost Bear (still around, merged with Rasalhague to form the Ghost Bear Dominion)
    Goliath Scorpion (kicked out after they decided to absorb an IS mercenary unit and use their genes in the eugenics program, went on to take over a minor periphery state and form the Escorpion Imperio)
    Hell's Horses (half of them went to the Inner Sphere during the Wars of Reaving, the other half became a new clan known as the Stone Lions)
    *Ice Hellions (attempted to attack the Jade Falcon holdings in the Inner Sphere and were all but wiped out in the process)
    Jade Falcons (still around, still belligerent)
    *Mongoose (the third Clan destroyed, they had tried to play word games to get around rulings, which lead Smoke Jaguar to wipe them out)
    *Nova Cats (Settled in the Draconis Combine as allies. Backed the wrong heir in a Combine civil war and was destroyed as a Clan. A few scattered units and individual warriors are still around)
    Sea Foxes/Diamond Sharks (Originally Sea Fox, renamed Diamond Shark after their totem animal was all but wiped out, they changed their name back around the Wars of Reaving. Functionally they're nomadic merchants in the Inner Sphere, selling Clan tech to whoever wants to buy it).
    *Smoke Jaguars (destroyed by the second SLDF taskforce in Operations Bulldog and Serpent, a few of their warriors were found in WoB camps and formed the core of a Republic of the Sphere strike force)
    Snow Ravens (moved to the Inner Sphere and merged with the Outworlds Alliance)
    Star Adders (winners in the Wars of Reaving)
    *Steel Vipers (started Reaving games, won the ultimate prize)
    *Widowmakers (destroyed by Clan Wolf very early in Clan history)
    Wolf (split into Crusader and Warden elements, they're kinda friendly now I think).
    *Wolverine (first clan to be destroyed at the beginning of of the Clans, originally stated to be due to use of nuclear weapons, in reality, they were used to make an example out of those who don't follow Nicolas Kerensky. In-universe rumors indicate they may still be around).

"New" Clans:
    Jade Wolf (briefly created by the Jade Falcons after the Refusal war between Jade Falcon and the Wolves, these went on to rename themselves back to "Wolves" a few weeks later after a Trial of Refusal by a Clan Wolf warrior)
    Stone Lion (the half of the Hell's Horses that stuck around in the home worlds were renamed by the ilKhan after they were determined to be "untainted").
    Wolf-in-Exile (the Warden half of the Wolves that allied with Steiner thanks to their khan at the time, Phelan Ward (son of Morgan Kell of the Kell Hounds).

Total: 20 original clans, 3 were destroyed prior to the Invasion, a further 6 were destroyed by the end of the Jihad/Wars of Reaving. 2 were created due to their parent Clans splitting.

Nobody on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Ugh so many decisions. I feel like I'm gonna end up buying extra swag that I don't even remotely need just because the patches look so damn cool. And/or the pins, though I'm not sure how I'd display either of them. And the dice! Several of the dice look really really good!

Totally down to sell off or trade my t-shirt though. The logos are just too big, I know I'd never wear them.

also @Nobody you forgot about Clan Steel Viper (Annihilated after their Khan, who started the Wars of Reaving, assassinated another Khan for calling for the Vipers to be Reaved).

e: hahahahahahaha I've got it down to "only" ~$280 with shipping. With, like, almost none of the add-ons that I want.

*cries*

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac