As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
edited December 2020 in Social Entropy++
MLOFzGx.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4gBChg6AII

wait, that's not right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFYJTudJ540

hmm, nope, not that one either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tyuIh12_HU&t=25s

THERE we go.

Final Fantasy 14: Shadowbados! It's an MMORPG! It plays a lot like WoW but with an actual story, with like... characters, and dialogue, and a plot that makes me like the writers instead of hating them! How novel!

Coming in 5.3, among many, many other things such as a streamlined main story quest in the original base game content:

The free trial content is being expanded from the first half of the base game to include all the base game plus the first expansion. That's a large, very good slice of the game you can play for free without buying anything.

Ishgard Restoration crafting macros and stuff I'm leaving here for my own reference: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vgtU7HFtG87TrJ9U47vnzkFMhSl5HKz7bjJhRXbxaas/preview#

Anyway let's have a redux of the last race poll and see if much has changed with the actual release of Shadowbringy.

BahamutZERO.gif
BahamutZERO on

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th 84 votes

Hyur
15%
HenroidRenzoMegaMan001ElldrenLanzrhylithDesert LeviathanMidniteEncT4CTAllyxiaPiotyrJ.budz. 13 votes
Roegadyn
19%
Kevin CristJavenTheySlashThemDepressperadoOlivawjammuGrey Ghostdarunia106AngelHedgieturtleantSkwigelfDisruptedCapitalistWyvernCare Free Bombmori1972WheatBun01 16 votes
Lalafell
8%
cj iwakuraFuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudEnlongsimulacrumzucchiniBilliardballCythraul 7 votes
Miqo'te
20%
Just_Bri_ThanksAshtonDragonKane Red Robeph blakeSkeithTcheldorRadiusCormacadmanbStiltsCaedwyrBlackhawk1313NeveronMrGrimoireCrippl3AlexandierIlpala 17 votes
Elezen
8%
korodullinRear Admiral ChocoBloodsheedGroveChomp-ChompDemonStaceyXehalus 7 votes
Au'ra
11%
Magic PinkEntriechKetBraMaijinamuroH0b0manAnzekaySiracDonnictonPolaritieMadican 10 votes
Viera
5%
WhippyStericaBahamutZEROkriegsVrakna 5 votes
Hrothgar
3%
LorahaloICUbWhittledown 3 votes
Cactuar
3%
MulysaSemproniusBucketmanBluedude152 3 votes
I use a lot of fantasias
3%
Transporterdestroyah87discrider 3 votes

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    Falafel forever.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Took a spin on Viera, wasn't clicking with me (hairstyles/hats being a big part of it). Now on Au'ra and happy with it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viera
    team roegadyn is appropriately large and powerful here

BahamutZERO.gif
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Hyur
    So, where do y’all usually go for information or news on this game? What’s the mmo champion equivalent?

How about where to go for info on class strategies?

And lastly with the emphasis this game has on cosmetics where do you go to plan outfits and the like?

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    part of ff14 coming out much later than wow, and getting a slow buildup of goodwill and fandom is that the internet just...didn't care about those aggregation sites anymore, didn't think they could make money. so there really isn't an mmo-champion (this is also because the lack of a PTR means that there are LONG news cycles where there is NOT anything to report about the game, which is death for a website that needs to make its money on ad revenue). so as a result class strats basically just show up on large discord servers

https://xivstyle.com/ and https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/ are the main fashion websites, which contrary to my previous paragraph can make ad revenue money B)

liEt3nH.png
    edited November 2019
    Viera
    Caedwyr wrote: »

i'm dead you've killed me
    rhylith wrote: »
    So, where do y’all usually go for information or news on this game? What’s the mmo champion equivalent?

How about where to go for info on class strategies?

And lastly with the emphasis this game has on cosmetics where do you go to plan outfits and the like?

Since there's no public test realm to datamine from people usually just find shit out on patch day, or from official previews and news posts that get linked in the launcher I think. If there's a big wowhead-style news fansite everyone uses I haven't seen it.

As for glamours, I don't know of anything like the online model database and 3D outfit preview stuff WoW fansites have made, generally information resources are scattered. There's several wikis that can tell you where to get things, but you usually have to know what item you're looking for. There's https://xivstyle.com/ if you want pictures of the various armor pieces sorted by sets and type of content they're acquired from but it's not ideal and is often not completely up to date.

e: oh I didn't know about that one below

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    For how to play your class, etc. I would recommend checking out The Balance. The latest guides are managed via the discord channel.

Gardland Tools Database has a 3D model viewer.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Yeah, the real reason is that you can’t really access ff14 game files. If there were, you’d have tons of sites where you could build glamour sets in a 3D modeling environment, like wowhead has.

Hyur
    Thanks y'all.

The lack of an MMO champ equivalent makes sense now, I was wondering why I couldn't find one.

A little disappointed about the class guide situation but I'll figure it out. I don't really like the trend toward discords for that kind of thing, but that's just an old man yells at cloud thing.

I would also say that broadly speaking, other than end-tier Savage and Ultimate fights, the content in FF14 is not as demanding as the endgame of content in WoW, which in turn affects the desirability of class guides and the places they are posted as a result

liEt3nH.png
    Roegadyn
    It’s also tougher to parse performance

Roegadyn
    rhylith wrote: »
    Thanks y'all.

The lack of an MMO champ equivalent makes sense now, I was wondering why I couldn't find one.

A little disappointed about the class guide situation but I'll figure it out. I don't really like the trend toward discords for that kind of thing, but that's just an old man yells at cloud thing.

For DPS, there’s a proving ground type thing where you can hit a target dummy within a certain timer, to help determine whether you make certain DPS checks or not.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    1. Did target die? If yes, proceed to 2.
    2. Did I die? If no, FLAWLESS VICTORY.

That's my benchmark at least.

Hyur
    I'm still mostly healing which is essentially the same as it is in any mmo, so I haven't had much trouble there. And the tank classes all look fairly similar and straightforward. But I've been holding off on diving into DPS so far. Maybe I'll try a couple of them out soon.

DPS rotations are enormous compared to WoW

liEt3nH.png
    Viera
    looks like there's no more actual reconstruction to do in ishgard for the moment, there's no longer a stockpile to fill or concerted works after you finish the 3rd set, just a "more coming soon" message. 3/6 of the concerted works happened either before I logged in on patch day or while I was asleep, and one I couldn't get into the zone in time and it reached the population cap. Sigh.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Sargatanas must really hate the Immortal Flames. I've been keeping track, and I have been assigned to the flames every single time I've queued up for PvP as a freelancer. If I turn that off and try to queue for the Maelstrom, my wait is 3-5 times as long.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    Au'ra
    Sargatanas must really hate the Immortal Flames. I've been keeping track, and I have been assigned to the flames every single time I've queued up for PvP as a freelancer. If I turn that off and try to queue for the Maelstrom, my wait is 3-5 times as long.

My usual frontlines experience as Mael:
    "Oh god why are the Flames focusing us Adders are winning!" and the Adders win.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Miqo'te

I figured that was because freelancers queue in faster, generally.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    I think you might just be unlucky, cause my freelancer queues are a pretty even mix.

Also though like every time I get Adders it seems to be a win or a very, very close loss at worst.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Spent some time leveling my Au Ra alt on Balmung, and just had the most bizarre party. Tank was a 15 Marauder, wearing all level 1 gear except for a level 5 mage hat and level 12 chest armor... but their gloves, boots, and pants were Squall's costume from the final set of veteran rewards. No belt. No necklace, bracelets, or earrings, even though new characters start with a set of those that are better than anything available on the market until the late teens, and one of their rings was just the fuckin Emperor's New Ring, not as a glamour, just worn as a level 1 ring that does nothing. They didn't use Overpower ever, and turned on Defiance once, which got us all excited until they turned it back off a few seconds later.

They also didn't respond to any communication in party chat, showed no sign they could even see what we were writing, and wouldn't initiate combat (which was why I had the time to peruse their shitty gear), but if me or the Red Mage initiated combat ourselves, the White Mage would shout at us about preempting the tank and refuse to heal us. Also the White Mage was getting mad at the Red Mage for not helping with healing, but the Red Mage was like "we're capped at 18, vercure is 54, calm the hell down."

So it took us 15 minutes to get through the first three spawns, after which I declared myself the de facto tank as a Lancer in one of the gear sets shared with tanks. Since it was just Sastasha the Red Mage and I were able to punch through everything before it could kill us, while the Marauder just seemed to be searching the walls for hidden passages(?) in between occasionally wandering over to auto-attack something but not use weapon skills, and the White Mage was bitching us out for not giving them a "chance to learn", refusing to use a single spell. We kept that up past the Couerl boss and the first fight with the Pirate Captain before the Red Mage mysteriously lost connection. Which meant that if I left, I'd technically be the first one going, so I'd get hit with the abandoned duty penalty. So I said fuck it, guess I'm done playing tonight, since the roulette lock-out plus the time waiting for another queue would have put me well past my bedtime.

If those two could figure out how to accept the prompt to look for new DPS, I feel bad for whoever got pulled in to replace me.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Cactuar
    I feel like I need to be on for one of these weird crafting frenzy events to get anything good or if this, I'm broke and it takes forever to farm mats.

Also is this like a limited time thing? Will it not exist once were done building?

edited November 2019
    Viera
    it is sort of limited time, it'll probably go away once reconstruction is finished but that probably won't be for several major patches. Also you probably already missed the crafting frenzy events for the moment, after the completion of the 3rd phase the landing area is fully reconstructed and the notice board has switched to "no more concerted efforts for the moment, but we'll let you know when they come back." On the bright side the crafting frenzy event doesn't give that huge of a reward, 500 of the scrips you can trade for prizes and 1 level in whatever crafting class you're on. So at most people have gotten 3000 scrips and 6 levels from the ones that could have happened so far... well I guess people could have gotten more by server hopping before they turned that off for the last 2.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    while the FATE style events seem to be one-shots, there's no indication that the rest of the features are planned for removal later

liEt3nH.png
    Au'ra
    it is sort of limited time, it'll probably go away once reconstruction is finished but that probably won't be for several major patches. Also you probably already missed the crafting frenzy events for the moment, after the completion of the 3rd phase the landing area is fully reconstructed and the notice board has switched to "no more concerted efforts for the moment, but we'll let you know when they come back." On the bright side the crafting frenzy event doesn't give that huge of a reward, 500 of the scrips you can trade for prizes and 1 level in whatever crafting class you're on. So at most people have gotten 3000 scrips and 6 levels from the ones that could have happened so far... well I guess people could have gotten more by server hopping before they turned that off for the last 2.

If you're not geared up heavily that 500 is pretty nice. If you are... yeah it's not much - 10 handins at max gets more than that. But that would be mind-numbing to do without a macro... level 70 handins you can Trained Eye at 80 to hit max quality in one shot and hammer them out really fast.

They do use a lot of mats, but the nodes for the special mats for restoration like to randomly give you anywhere from +2 to +9 mats per swing, plus copious +1 swing (on which you should pop your +2 per swing skill). So it actually doesn't take THAT long to gather a massive pile of them (use the ground markers so you don't have to keep re-finding them). The fourth material is always something normal, but it's usually just 1 of a processed material.

If you don't have a level 80 crafter... this is definitely going to be slower, and you probably want to look at getting one (though you'll want to at least be able to do the level 70 handins probably for that).

Roegadyn
    If you dont have an 80 crafter just do the lower level turn ins. You'll slowly get scripts and they are easily the best way to get crafter XP. I went from Weaver 31 to 39 off of like 12 of the level 20 recipe. And then the job quests will bump you up another level each now, or damn near it.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Yoshi-P tweets a personal congratulations to the world first TEA team.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    So like, you need to watch yourself die in a parallel universe in order to know what you need to dodge? Pretty cool!

edited November 2019
    Viera
    You know I was honestly expecting Shadowbringers to feature 80% viera, and that furthermore 80% of those would be modeled on Fran, tan with white hair and etc., but it hasn't turned out like that at all. I think I was assuming that my tastes are much more universal than they actually are.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Reading up on Fate Configuration/True Heart b stuff in Alex Ultimate and how teams were trying to solve it, and haha holy shit this is the most galaxy brained mechanic I've ever heard of.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    Roegadyn
    You know I was honestly expecting Shadowbringers to feature 80% viera, and that furthermore 80% of those would be modeled on Fran, tan with white hair and etc., but it hasn't turned out like that at all. I think I was assuming that my tastes are much more universal than they actually are.

It might be higher on new characters made post-Shadowbringers, but that number is probably relatively low. With the MSQ, it's a much bigger investment to create a new character, and not a ton of people are willing to drop $10 on a Fantasia

edited November 2019
    Roegadyn
    There still a whole lot of Viera

TSZVvwv.png
    edit: this is from ff14census data from 10-9-2019

They've almost overtaken Au'ra ladies.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    I vaguely remember something in the patch notes about being able to switch Trusts between an Avatar mode and some other mode. Sounded like being able to swap them back so you could do any dungeon with the npcs at appropriate level but they wouldn't gain xp.

However, I didn't see any option like that when I looked the other day. Maybe I misremembered the patch notes?

I was also hoping they'd unlock the two npcs you only get to use in one dungeon (and can't even use them for that after 80) but it doesn't seem to do that either.

Viera
    I was expecting all the aura and miqote players to switch basically

BahamutZERO.gif
    viera don't have horns

liEt3nH.png
    Roegadyn
    I was expecting all the aura and miqote players to switch basically

Nah, it was mostly female Elezen and Roe that got hit. Especially Elezen, I think their pop got cut to like a third of what it was pre-ShBr.

X22wmuF.jpg
    Viera
    I guess people who like tall ladies are the target demographic

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.