As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Discuss the [2020 Primary] and Not Other Stuff

ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
Hi, here is a thread to talk about the Democratic primary. Don't fuck it up, please.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I think there's like a debate going on between some people who want to president or whatevs.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    They come right out of the gate with questions about Donald Trump's impeachment.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I literally forgot about this after today's events. Impeachment should absolutely be at the forefront.

MSNBC is zooming uncomfortably close to the candidates' faces.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    @Quid and it is. Right off the bat, Warren pivoted to her corruption argument, asking the other candidates to pledge to not give out political appointments to donors.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I really hope this thing isnt dominated by the hearings

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Sanders talking about walking and chewing bubble gum - specifically, fighting economic inequality and fighting corruption in gov't and the President.

So basically he worked in an opening statement as well.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch

I hope it is. I'm fucking tired of health care debates.

Andrea Mitchell: Joe Biden, you say you can still be friends with Republicans who hate you and want you to die. How's does this track with reality?

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Athenor wrote: »

I hope it is. I'm fucking tired of health care debates.

Warren has released her transition plan on healthcare since the last debate and it bears discussion

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Andrea Mitchell: Joe Biden, you say you can still be friends with Republicans who hate you and want you to die. How's does this track with reality?

And Biden's response is "I'll flip seats from R to D in the Senate in Georgia."

...What.

ztrEPtD.gif
    I mean he's half right, Joe will definitely flip some seats if hes the nominee

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »

And Biden's response is "I'll flip seats from R to D in the Senate in Georgia."

...What.

It's the electability argument. Everyone's afraid of him, so he must be the best candidate to win, and in the process Ds will ride his coattails and win back the Senate.

I really hope one of these candidates prop up the civil service system, and point out how valuable career diplomats are.

• chokemchokem Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    chokem was warned for this.
    Given this thread’s past history, I am afraid of having opinions.

ceres on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I don't care what the candidates think of impeachment per se, but I would definitely like to hear their ideas on how to reform government to be better protected about this kind of corruption.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I don't care what the candidates think of impeachment per se, but I would definitely like to hear their ideas on how to reform government to be better protected about this kind of corruption.

Well everyone but Gabbard stands for impeachment really, so yeah its like 100% support across the board. But the interesting question would be "given the amount of corruption present in the Trump admin, how will your admin avoid this?" Other than obviously not being super god damn awful

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Annie Grayer covers 2020 for CNN. Deval Patrick canceled an event after no one showed up, I guess that's your fate when the only thing I know about you is you made life easier for your sisters rapist and he raped again.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I would just like to say fuck Pete Buttigieg, fuck Iowa for apparently falling in love with him, and I would vote for literally any of these people except Gabbard before him.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Harris is going after Gabbard

Kamala Harris is doing good things tonight.

1) Said we have a two tier system of justice very passionately.
    2) Absolutely tore Gabbard to shreds with her Fox News loving, Steve Bannon friendliness, interviewing for a cabinet position with Trump, Republican ass self.

• chokemchokem Registered User regular
    I would just like to say fuck Pete Buttigieg, fuck Iowa for apparently falling in love with him, and I would vote for literally any of these people except Gabbard before him.

I believe his rise in Iowa was described as pants-shitting.

• enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Steyer in favor of legislative term limits. As someone from a state with such term limits: terrible idea. Term limits on the executive can make sense. Term limits on the legislative just give you a total lack of experience, and lobbiest writing laws even more than usual.

enc0re on
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

You are talking about a constitutional amendment which isn't going to garner a lot of energy during an election since the election gives people exactly what the amendment would have given them otherwise. It could gain traction if Trump won another term. It reminds me of Trudeau in Canada running against first past the post, then realizing after he won that this was no hill to die on. People who win are not going to be highly motivated to restrict their power or change the circumstances that gave them power.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    chokem wrote: »

Aside from a couple of his policy positions his story is quite compelling, plus he’s young.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Given this thread’s past history, I am afraid of having opinions.

Neither this thread nor your fear of it are on topic for this thread.

This thread will be about the 2020 Primaries.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I actually, for the most part, like Mayor Pete?

The hatred of him here is kind of weirding me out.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Biden hitting the civility drum a lot here.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Annie Grayer covers 2020 for CNN. Deval Patrick canceled an event after no one showed up, I guess that's your fate when the only thing I know about you is you made life easier for your sisters rapist and he raped again.

Patrick is a compelling candidate who probably joined the race like 8+ months too late.

If he'd been in early this year, I suspect he'd been a front-runner.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Wait, what??

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

He's basically trying to take over Biden's lane, which has problematic indications for how he will operate.

He's just transparently fake. And a smarmy asshole.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

He's basically trying to take over Biden's lane, which has problematic indications for how he will operate.

Mostly because he started off in a completely different lane. His whole current schtick is entirely manufactured.

And what he's selling is also complete "Let's all come together" bullshit.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

He's just transparently fake. And a smarmy asshole.

He gleefully takes money from The Bad Guys.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Marathon wrote: »

Aside from a couple of his policy positions his story is quite compelling, plus he’s young.

Best thing about Buttigieg is how much he can still grow; and he’s probably smart enough to do so. Sanders, Biden, and to an extent Warren are at the and of their careers and lives and it shows. They feel over-the-hill.

Speaking for myself, there have been a couple of times during the debates where Mayor Pete has deliberately misconstrued others' positions to score gotcha points, speaking to his character. He also has a habit of speaking out of both sides of his mouth regarding how progressive we should be, but not too progressive.

Finally, Pete easily buys in to Republican framing on most issues.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Pete's lane change makes him come across as completely lacking in convictions.

I suppose I'd take that over Biden's determined dedication to a shitty lane?

I'd rather take neither.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Mostly because he started off in a completely different lane. His whole current schtick is entirely manufactured.

And what he's selling is also complete "Let's all come together" bullshit.

To be fair, he has a long history trying it on with the latter. Like when he tried to court tea party voters:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/henrygomez/pete-buttigieg-tea-party

Klobuchar is impressing me more this time than in any past debate. She is really coming together. Maybe too late, but I like what I am hearing.

Pete also praised the Tea Party back in 2010 and used "All Lives Matter" non-ironically in 2015 (I think).

Also he'd be an utter disaster in the general because of black turnout. But won't be the nominee because of black primary voters.

This discussion has been closed.