As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    What a strange and very fun race

steam_sig.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it was a decent race...I think I'm just a little weird. I don't find chaos races with people crashing and running in to each other to be "great races". They are interesting, sometimes entertaining, but I feel like a race like Hungry is a much better race than Germany or Brazil. I'd much rather see top drivers fighting for a win than spins and crashes. I admit that is probably not a majority opinion.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Pure noise – the best sounding V8s at the 2019 Daytona Classic 24 (3 mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqajRuszScs

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Ugh, I feel awful for Albon. A moral podium, but a real podium is a real podium and he doesn't get one.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Yeah, it was a decent race...I think I'm just a little weird. I don't find chaos races with people crashing and running in to each other to be "great races". They are interesting, sometimes entertaining, but I feel like a race like Hungry is a much better race than Germany or Brazil. I'd much rather see top drivers fighting for a win than spins and crashes. I admit that is probably not a majority opinion.
    I think it's fair to say that the battle for the actual win was pure racing. The crashes caused a bit of chaos further down the list but there was plenty of pure racing to be had here. The duels between Hamilton and Verstappen are always titanic

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA just watched the replay.
    Amazing Ferrari own goal. 100% Vettel's fault, what a sore loser.

Bizarre bad strategy by Mercedes, clearly they should have pitted when Max pitted during the safety car, unless they didn't have a set of Softs?

Fuck the stewards for not being able to figure out Hamilton's penalty fast enough to put Sainz on the podium. Everyone knew what was coming, just make the decision! Pure desperation from Lewis, and no reason for it.

And ugh sucks for Albon.

steam_sig.png
    edited November 2019
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Bizarre bad strategy by Mercedes, clearly they should have pitted when Max pitted during the safety car, unless they didn't have a set of Softs?

This wasn't a bad strategy, it's basic F1 tactics. If you're already behind an opponent in an equal or better car, doing the same strategy as them will leave you in the spot of still being behind them. Doing the opposite is always the right call as it's the only opportunity to shake up the result.

Dhalphir on
    2i6322lbtxoz.png

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    This is going to be one of those races that you can show to someone as a taster of why F1 is fun to watch, it has literally everything apart from the championship metagame in it, fantastic bit of tv.
    My heart was breaking for Albon but it almost healed with Sainz being promoted to P3, his interview with channel 4 after the race was great, at the start he was hoping for points so finishing 4th was pretty much a career best.

Special shout out to the Red Bull garage for not one but two sub 2sec pits, at this rate I want to see a constructors point awarded for fastest pit of the race to accompany the fastest lap, time it as an entry->exit total and it could definitely be accurate enough to split.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    edited November 2019
    Dhalphir wrote: »

This wasn't a bad strategy, it's basic F1 tactics. If you're already behind an opponent in an equal or better car, doing the same strategy as them will leave you in the spot of still being behind them. Doing the opposite is always the right call as it's the only opportunity to shake up the result.
    True, I guess the weird strategy was Red Bull deciding to give up the lead in the first place!

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I think it's fair to say that the battle for the actual win was pure racing. The crashes caused a bit of chaos further down the list but there was plenty of pure racing to be had here. The duels between Hamilton and Verstappen are always titanic
    100% Agree, the crashes made for a mixed-up podium but the actual racing happened too and was good.

steam_sig.png
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular

True, I guess the weird strategy was Red Bull deciding to give up the lead in the first place!

Because at that point both their tyres were degrading some and Verstappen wouldn't lose as much time under SC as normally. 15 cars or thereabouts unlapped themselves during that SC, which meant Verstappen was right behind Lewis for the restart on way fresher tyres.

With the pace the Red Bulls had all weekend, this was (at least in hindsight) kind of a no-brainer. Was a bit surprised Lewis didn't come in as well, Merc must have known how bad Verstappen getting a free pitstop was for them.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    another clown performance by Ferrari, but at least we're at one of the 3 tracks on the calendar where their dogshit antics can produce a good race: downforce tracks! all hail red bull!

i was a supporter of vettel but he looks washed up. the collision was 9000% his fault, one of a half dozen completely avoidable race-ruining moves by him in the past year or so

Jasconius wrote: »
    another clown performance by Ferrari, but at least we're at one of the 3 tracks on the calendar where their dogshit antics can produce a good race: downforce tracks! all hail red bull!

i was a supporter of vettel but he looks washed up. the collision was 9000% his fault, one of a half dozen completely avoidable race-ruining moves by him in the past year or so
    Vettel onboard is the fucking Zapruder film of this race. WHERE IS IT, F1????

steam_sig.png
    Best part about watching this on replay:
    I had been spoiled that Sainz was on the podium (saw it on twitter) so then I get to like lap 66 in the race and am looking at this thinking "jesus what is about to happen?!"
    yk80gqvu6zpo.png

steam_sig.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    In unrelated motorsport news: Kyle Busch won his second NASCAR cup title yesterday. I still hate NASCAR's playoff system, but I do think Kyle Busch is a worthy champion. Guy has won a ton of races in recent years.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    In case anyone here was planning on not seeing Ford v Ferrari, what is wrong with you?

It was soooooooo good. Christian Bale was amazing, and Matt Damen as Carol Shelby was a fun ride. The actual racing bits is kinda eye rolly with up shifts for turbo power, all the events of the race happening next to our hero, and "NOW I'll floor it" Hollywood crap, but the cars are gorgeous and the sound was amazing. Highly recommend seeing it in a theater if you can.

Veevee wrote: »
    In case anyone here was planning on not seeing Ford v Ferrari, what is wrong with you?

It was soooooooo good. Christian Bale was amazing, and Matt Damen as Carol Shelby was a fun ride. The actual racing bits is kinda eye rolly with up shifts for turbo power, all the events of the race happening next to our hero, and "NOW I'll floor it" Hollywood crap, but the cars are gorgeous and the sound was amazing. Highly recommend seeing it in a theater if you can.

I have been trying to set up a cinema date with a mate of mine for a week now, so far no luck.

But I am definitely gonna see it. This week probably.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I'm hoping to get to see Ford v Ferrari (or Le Mans '66 as it's titled over here) in the next week or two if I can fit it in. There's actually several movies in cinemas right now that I want to see (some that have been out for weeks now) but finding the time is proving difficult at the moment.

I know I won't be able to not compare it to both Rush and Le Mans, both of which I liked a great deal but which are very different in their eras and approaches.

Jazz on
    Jazz wrote: »
    I'm hoping to get to see Ford v Ferrari (or Le Mans '66 as it's titled over here) in the next week or two if I can fit it in. There's actually several movies in cinemas right now that I want to see (some that have been out for weeks now) but finding the time is proving difficult at the moment.

I know I won't be able to not compare it to both Rush and Le Mans, both of which I liked a great deal but which are very different in their eras and approaches.

Rush is the better racing movie, but Ford v Ferrari is a better overall movie.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I went to see it yesterday and found it very enjoyable, even if there is no way that kid would call a spanner a "wrench" or Ken Miles would call a straight a "straightaway"

Some of the race sections definitely felt like Fast and Furious infinite gearshifts but other than that, pretty darn good.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    I went to see it yesterday and found it very enjoyable, even if there is no way that kid would call a spanner a "wrench" or Ken Miles would call a straight a "straightaway"

Some of the race sections definitely felt like Fast and Furious infinite gearshifts but other than that, pretty darn good.

Oh dear God. Docking it a star right there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3GfFeDpP0Y
    Show us Vettel's onboard F1 you cowards!

steam_sig.png
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    Have to say just how good it is that Sainz got a podium. He's been great all year and thoroughly deserved the result - especially in this case where he was coming from last on the grid! No matter what way you look at it, that's one hell of a drive.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    Have to say just how good it is that Sainz got a podium. He's been great all year and thoroughly deserved the result - especially in this case where he was coming from last on the grid! No matter what way you look at it, that's one hell of a drive.

You can hear on the radio post-race that even he can't believe he did it.

Best post-race audio was definitely Gasly doing his best Senna Brazil GP 1991 impression

steam_sig.png
    TeeMan wrote: »

Best post-race audio was definitely Gasly doing his best Senna Brazil GP 1991 impression

Only hopefully Gasly was in less physical pain.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    TeeMan wrote: »

Only hopefully Gasly was in less physical pain.

Less pain, more disbelief.

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Macau feasted on cars and bikes.

Macau GP and Rally Crash Compilation 2019 Week 245 (10 mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcXeFvhttig

Rally:Central Europe :: NASCAR:USA

steam_sig.png
    Just saw the movie.

Absolutely fantastic.

Ok, double post it is then.

Ford vs. Ferrari was great. I had read the book it was based on (AJ Baimes "Go like hell") earlier in the year and they didn't dramatize too much of that story, which was good. Matt Damon and Christian Bale gave great performances. Overall, great movie.

Tonight I watched Le Mans. And the difference is pretty staggering. The racing footage in that movie is fantastic and fascinating, as they filmed during the actual race of 1970. Seeing the sheer size and grandeur of the event was amazing.

But its actually not a good movie. There is no story, no really characters and hardly any dialogue. The first real dialogue was spoken 40 minutes into the movie. The rest is just an excuse to film the LeMans race, nothing more. Maybe I haven't seen enough movies from that era, but this was just really bad. How did this "script", if you can call it that, get approval from anyone?

Still, seeing those Gulf Porsche 917s racing was great, though.

As far as I'm aware, McQueen wanted to do it so he just did it and paid for it out of his own pocket. I don't think they even had a script. Just an idea and money to burn.

They weren't expected to get a movie from the footage, so the fact they even got that movie out was pretty amazing.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    There's plenty of story in Le Mans. It's just the story of the race itself, the humans are supporting characters.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    All of the race footage captured was captured by entering a car and installing cameras in it. They had to pit approximately twice as often to keep replacing the film. Overnight there were a bunch of retirements in their class leaving them in 5th. The film almost never got made because they seriously considered abandoning filming, and thus the extra pit stops, to push for a top three finish.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    All of the race footage captured was captured by entering a car and installing cameras in it. They had to pit approximately twice as often to keep replacing the film. Overnight there were a bunch of retirements in their class leaving them in 5th. The film almost never got made because they seriously considered abandoning filming, and thus the extra pit stops, to push for a top three finish.

They couldn't have won overall because they did not cover enough distance, but they finished second in their class and 9th overall.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    no new information here, but of all the recent F1 has-beens, Stoff seemed like one of the least offensive..... so I take his sour grapes at 1% less sour. and he increases my chances of watching an FE race from 0.0% to 0.001%

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/25364?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    It’s difficult to watch Formula E for me because they insist on pumping the high pitched whine from the cars at the same or higher volume as the commentators. The last race I watched I was getting a headache from it.

I also do t really like video gamey boost zones and popularity contest boosts either.

Also the tracks seem even more narrow than F1 so overtaking is terribly difficult.

Other than all of that, I appreciate Formula E certainly. Could be great, just needs to fix a few things in my opinion. One of those might be getting Stoffel out of there hah!

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    It’s difficult to watch Formula E for me because they insist on pumping the high pitched whine from the cars at the same or higher volume as the commentators. The last race I watched I was getting a headache from it.

I also do t really like video gamey boost zones and popularity contest boosts either.

Also the tracks seem even more narrow than F1 so overtaking is terribly difficult.

Other than all of that, I appreciate Formula E certainly. Could be great, just needs to fix a few things in my opinion. One of those might be getting Stoffel out of there hah!

They really need to use racing tracks. Those street circuits are not really good for racing, especially considering how wide the cars are. Those boosts need to go.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    They should be making electric cars sound like TIE fighters.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I find it difficult to watch Formula E because it's quite hard to find any coverage of it on US broadcast TV. Apparently it's sometimes on one of Fox's sports channels, FS1 or FS2, but I'm not even sure I get those channels. As of yet, I've never been able to watch a race in it's entirety.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
This discussion has been closed.