As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me remember an old arcade game

Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-FedRegistered User regular
It was fantasy based, side scroller, with various classes of characters you could play and level up. I remember one was a ninja and one was a wizard I think.

Not a lot to go on but this has been bugging me for years.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/229480/Dungeons__Dragons_Chronicles_of_Mystara/

This meets all your criteria except there probably isnt a ninja. Ive seen it in Arcades but I dont remember playing it.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/229480/Dungeons__Dragons_Chronicles_of_Mystara/

This meets all your criteria except there probably isnt a ninja. Ive seen it in Arcades but I dont remember playing it.

Nope, it was Magic Sword which wasn't at all what I described anyway!

• Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    I feel like you may be conflating Magic Sword with memories of Cadash too.

• Options
    No, I never saw Cadash outside of the Genesis.

I still think I may be getting this wrong tho, the game I remember had you almost constantly climbing stairs to the right and I'm SURE you could change classes while you played.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Magician Lord on Neo Geo

Primarily left to right, power ups would change your character and Ninja was one of those powerups.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    No, I never saw Cadash outside of the Genesis.

I still think I may be getting this wrong tho, the game I remember had you almost constantly climbing stairs to the right and I'm SURE you could change classes while you played.

If I recall you climb stairs to when you die and it shows how far you have progressed, you can change class while you play.. as long as you died and popped in another quarter. :D

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Magician Lord on Neo Geo

Primarily left to right, power ups would change your character and Ninja was one of those powerups.

Definitely not ML. It was an arcade game for sure.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Was it King of Dragons? IIRC, that had an arcade run.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Neo Geo was an arcade system, but there wasn't class-selection in Magician Lord.

What were the level styles? Enemies? Was it platforming or beat-em up health style? King of Dragons would be my next guess.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Yeah, King of Dragons (technically The King of Dragons but for some reason no one ever remembers the "The") is probably best known as an SNES game but it was a Capcom arcade cabinet years before that. There's no ninja character though so I'm not sure it fits.

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »

I think it was and I was getting that and Magic Sword brain-mushed.

Thanks all!