As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I'm a bit apprehensive about the "new" WHFB. If it's really just that, I fear it will split the already rather small local player base, and that I will have an army that is only usable in AoS.

We'll see, I guess.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I'm looking at potentially convincing my wife to pick me up an Age of Sigmar starter kit for Christmas. I want something to slowly "play" with my 4-year-old (almost 5) to peak his interest in the hobby slowly over the next few years.

He's currently very interested in miniatures in general. Any chance he gets, he wants to take out my copy of Descent to put the tile pieces together and play with the miniatures and stage "battles". I'm not really a fan of the game, so over time I've allowed him more and more freedom until currently the miniatures and tiles are kind of strewn about on different shelves and not neatly in their box. I know.

Would Age of Sigmar be a good choice? At first, just messing around with the miniatures with him, then slowly starting little mock battles. I'll have to simplify it a bit until he can actually read and play for real in a few years, but from what I remember dabbling in WH Fantasy like 20 years ago, this wouldn't be too bad. Move your dudes, roll some dice.

Thoughts?

Also side note, no green skins in Age of Sigmar? Whaaa?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Warhammer models might be a bit fragile for a 5 year old, I suspect.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Warhammer models might be a bit fragile for a 5 year old, I suspect.

From what I remember, they're about as fragile as Descent models, even sturdier if we're talking pewter.

Before I had kids, my reading of a kid in the single digit ages was pretty inaccurate. Not sure about your familiarity with that age, but 5-year-olds can be careful. All play would be together and supervised.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Maybe Underworlds? Leave out the cards at first and just playing it as a smash up fight could make a good intro.

Also there are totes greenskins in AoS. Both small and very large.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Maybe Underworlds? Leave out the cards at first and just playing it as a smash up fight could make a good intro.

Also there are totes greenskins in AoS. Both small and very large.

Can you still do that in Underworlds, just leave out the cards and play regular Warhammer battles?

I assumed there was more reading involved in playing Underworlds than Age of Sigmar--assuming I'm guiding him through, telling him what his rolls mean, what his units can do, etc.

Edit: And yes, noticed greenskins after posting. The name changes in AoS threw me off!

Also, keeping in mind I would make attempts to play the game with adults as well. Potentially could convince my wife to humour me from time to time as well.

Figgy on
  • Options
    Not quite regular Warhammer battles, but as a small skirmish dice chucking boardgame, sure.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    Would Age of Sigmar be a good choice? Move your dudes, roll some dice.

Yes!

AoS is very streamlined and has 3 playstyles- Matched (balanced gameplay with point values per units), Narrative (story-based), and FINALLY Open Play, which let's you get toy soldiers on the table, and roll dice at eachother!

Moreover, most of the info you need to play is located on index-card-sized cards you can buy per faction.

Heres an example, notice that unit attacks have flat values to hit and wound. It's basic math instead of comparing charts and crap:

Last you wants Orcs? We've got Orcs for you boy! The older models are contained in a catch-all book called "Grand Alliance Destruction" whereas the two new brand new Orc Armies are in a newly released book called Orruk Warclans, which features 2 different armies that can be used separately or together.

Ironjawz are da BIGGEST baddest orcs, and the army features a low model count, and chunky models-

and Bonesplitterz, which are feral orcs with warpaint and animal-bone weapons

• Options
    This is all very exciting and helpful information, thank you!

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I played underworlds with my 6 and 8 yr old nephews. They seemed to enjoy it, but it degenerated into play-as-in-toys rather than -games pretty quickly :)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm looking at potentially convincing my wife to pick me up an Age of Sigmar starter kit for Christmas. I want something to slowly "play" with my 4-year-old (almost 5) to peak his interest in the hobby slowly over the next few years.

You could track down the old Storm of Sigmar 'starter set' for AOS. It's no longer made by GW, but you can find it on Ebay or Amazon for around $35. It's dirt cheap and gives you 13 models to play with (and they're chonky Stormcast and chaos dudes, so they're not super fragile like Slyvaneth or skeletons/ghosts are, and they are easier to build compared to multi-part models). It comes with old rules (they're outdated, but if you're just looking for something to see if your kid is interested in tabletop stuff that doesn't matter) and some dice, plus a handful of missions specifically designed for learning how to play the game with just a couple models and then escalating until you're using all of them.

If your kid doesn't respond to it than you're only out $35, but if they end up liking it those two factions are pretty cheap to build armies with over time or use as painting practice when the time comes.

Of course, this is assuming that this isn't just a stealth excuse for you to start playing Age of Sigmar, in which case Soul Wars is still a pretty great deal if you like either of those factions.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I was using old playmats. I will think about it hopefully it's not a one and done printing

• Options
    edited November 2019
    It totally will be a one and done.

Which is also frustrating as I'd like to suggest it to family as Christmas present to me, but am not sure it will still be in stock by then! The Necromunda Underdog card incident has given me the fear.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options

You could track down the old Storm of Sigmar 'starter set' for AOS. It's no longer made by GW, but you can find it on Ebay or Amazon for around $35. It's dirt cheap and gives you 13 models to play with (and they're chonky Stormcast and chaos dudes, so they're not super fragile like Slyvaneth or skeletons/ghosts are, and they are easier to build compared to multi-part models). It comes with old rules (they're outdated, but if you're just looking for something to see if your kid is interested in tabletop stuff that doesn't matter) and some dice, plus a handful of missions specifically designed for learning how to play the game with just a couple models and then escalating until you're using all of them.

If your kid doesn't respond to it than you're only out $35, but if they end up liking it those two factions are pretty cheap to build armies with over time or use as painting practice when the time comes.

Of course, this is assuming that this isn't just a stealth excuse for you to start playing Age of Sigmar, in which case Soul Wars is still a pretty great deal if you like either of those factions.

Not a bad idea, but I'm not really into 40k.

And it's like... 35% because I want to start playing myself. And painting miniatures.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    On new Warhammer Old World Stuff: if they just blatantly rip off the War of the Ring rules, I say go for it! Best ranked battle rules GW ever produced. Throw in some ordering a la Warmaster and it may approach genius.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    @Figgy

I'd also suggest Underworlds. Nightvault starter is still for sale or you can get the latest starter, Beastgrave. The starter set is relatively cheap and it is a great gateway in to the wider hobby. It is easy to set up and play. With the added bonus that games don't last all day. Usually 40 minutes or so. Plus each Warband can be used in regular ol' AoS if it comes to that.

If you are dead set on more of a traditional tabletop wargame experience then Warcry is something to look in to. It is small scale skirmish warfare and matches are still fairly quick (maybe an hour?). Starter set comes with two Warbands, nice terrain and everything else you need to play. It is IMHO the best skirmish experience I've had.

If you want something still in the sphere of AoS, but maybe a bit different there is also Shadows Over Hamerhall. Multiplayer dungeon crawler where one player is the GM. Fun, but if I'm being honest I'd have to say that 40k's Blackstone Fortress is a far better system. It doesn't need a GM and can be played solo. Plus GW is supporting the fuck out of it. Either way. something to consider.

Everything I linked can be found on Amazon for cheaper.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I’m cautiously watching this Old World announcement. I’ve got my Vampire Counts just sitting there.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Besides a few boxes of Skeletons, a box of Dire Wolves and a Varghulf, all of which I never made, I don't actually have any WHF minis. If they give it the same treatment as all of their other improvements I might have to pick up at least a small force. Not sure who though. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Crossposting my first "Hogre"! As someone who never paints skintones, I think I did a decent job.
    warpig01_turn.gif

warpig01.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I have younger nephews who love playing board games, but tend to be a little rough with the minis. What I ended up doing was going through the reaper Bones line and finding models that looked roughly the same, and swapping them in when the kids want to play. They’re practically indestructible and there’s a million of them so chances are you’ll find a match.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Besides a few boxes of Skeletons, a box of Dire Wolves and a Varghulf, all of which I never made, I don't actually have any WHF minis. If they give it the same treatment as all of their other improvements I might have to pick up at least a small force. Not sure who though. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Mostly I’m hoping they make something that scales well. If I want to put down a handful of units I can still have a fun, balanced game.

• Options
    I have a tiny dark elf army
    My brother has a high elf and wood elf army but as he said would be unretire his armies? Probably no

• Options

Storm of Sigmar and Soul Wars are both AOS kits. This is the one that's ~$35:
    Rz2lXRB.jpg

I played a game of Underworlds and a game of Warcry tonight. The Underworlds game didn't go so well, I was playing Sylvaneth for the first time and my opponent was playing the new Grymwatch Warband. I came out swinging and got 8 points in the first phase, then immediately ran out of steam while my opponent clawed his way up to an 11/8 victory (secured by killing 3 of my models and then using Trapped in Time on the last survivor to prevent me from doing anything in the final phase).

Warcry was an entirely different story, however. Again he took Flesh Eater Cults, and I took Iron Golems. The only thing better than one Ogor Breacher is two Ogor Breachers using Onslaught, I went through his army like it wasn't even there.

There were a few broken bits on my Iron Golems sprue when I got the Warcry starter set, so GW was kind enough to send me a whole new Iron Golems warband sprue, then have some sort of mixup and send me an additional Iron Golems warband sprue a few days afterward. I built the second set, but the third is still on sprue (I'm waiting to see how well the new Slaves to Darkness stuff will integrate with my existing Blades of Khorne army before deciding whether to build it or sell it). After playing tonight though I am very tempted to make a three Ogor Breacher meme list.

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I have a tiny dark elf army
    My brother has a high elf and wood elf army but as he said would be unretire his armies? Probably no

I mean it's 3 years out they said. But likely yes?

High elves were pretty integral in the old world and wood elves were no slouches either.

• Options

Storm of Sigmar and Soul Wars are both AOS kits. This is the one that's ~$35:
    Rz2lXRB.jpg

Ah ok, weird. A quick initial Google had some listings with 40k in the title.

Being in Canada, everything I can find has $30+ in shipping tacked on. Maybe I'll take a trip to a shop and see what they have.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Seems that someone realized that Squat'ing several lines at the same time to sell Fantasy Marines wasn't a good idea, even if AoS is decent otherwise.

• Options
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Seems that someone realized that Squat'ing several lines at the same time to sell Fantasy Marines wasn't a good idea, even if AoS is decent otherwise.

I think it's the opposite. AoS selling well enough to allow then to revisit those lines. Look at Cities of Sigmar, they've probably moved more Empire kits than they have in years! Going forward, they would just have to include circular and square bases on those cross play kits.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    TryCatcher wrote: »

I think it's the opposite. AoS selling well enough to allow then to revisit those lines. Look at Cities of Sigmar, they've probably moved more Empire kits than they have in years! Going forward, they would just have to include circular and square bases on those cross play kits.

Also since this isn't coming till 2022 means they have time to revamp a lot of the kits and such they squatted.

Though whether or not they actually DO this is another thing entirely. They may not feel it's worth the effort. Will be interesting to see.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Yeah considering all of Fantasy allegedly sold less than the Tactical Space Marine Box at the time, Fantasy was financially speaking a lost cause. AoS might have had a reeeeeeeeal rocky launch, but there's no denying it's gone gangbusters now. In Aus at least, at the biggest gaming convention AoS has 250ish players this year with a wait list. I think Fantasy had 120 places at its largest.

I mean I love The Old World and am glad it's returning, but I can also understand why GW blew it up from a financial perspective. Also AoS has turned into a game that is very worth playing.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    How is the guy who lit his WHFB army on fire in his backyard when AOS launched reacting to this news?

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Probably lighting his AoS army on fire right now.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Asher wrote: »
    Yeah considering all of Fantasy allegedly sold less than the Tactical Space Marine Box at the time, Fantasy was financially speaking a lost cause. AoS might have had a reeeeeeeeal rocky launch, but there's no denying it's gone gangbusters now. In Aus at least, at the biggest gaming convention AoS has 250ish players this year with a wait list. I think Fantasy had 120 places at its largest.

I mean I love The Old World and am glad it's returning, but I can also understand why GW blew it up from a financial perspective. Also AoS has turned into a game that is very worth playing.

While on one level this is true, I also feel it's fair to suggest that it might well have been GW's own fault that WHF was selling so poorly. Because they arguably mismanaged it pretty severely for a long time.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    They should have let Rick Priestly redesign it from the ground up; between Warmaster and WotR it should have been apparent that the guy has a peculiar genius for mass ranked battle games when not anchored to backwards compatibility with the previous edition.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    So they are hinting at those light elves pretty hard now aren't they?

Recent article ending in hysh-hysh instead of hush hush

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »

Which article is that. I only see the varanspire one that end with talking about Shyish.

• Options
    in the slaanesh army book it talks about how Teclis is gathering his forces for the coming fight so I am very curious what they are

• Options
    in the slaanesh army book it talks about how Teclis is gathering his forces for the coming fight so I am very curious what they are

Between DoK, the Idoneth book, and the lore in the 2nd ed. Core Rules for AoS, we have a rough idea about both the light and shadow elves.

The Light elves from Hysh are angelic and winged, and the shadow elves from Ulgu have devil tails and stuff.

• Options

Between DoK, the Idoneth book, and the lore in the 2nd ed. Core Rules for AoS, we have a rough idea about both the light and shadow elves.

The Light elves from Hysh are angelic and winged, and the shadow elves from Ulgu have devil tails and stuff.

I think the Dok hang out in Ulgu or at least a part of it it's understandable with the Khinerai

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    TheGerbil wrote: »

Which article is that. I only see the varanspire one that end with talking about Shyish.

Okay fine the article is a week old but that's still kinda recent right? Read the very last sentence.

Link is right here.

• Options

I think the Dok hang out in Ulgu or at least a part of it it's understandable with the Khinerai

It's been states outright that her daughters are different than Malerion's.

Her males are almost entirely weak withered.

This discussion has been closed.