As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    I think there are decent odds that I'm the only male elezen in my entire FC.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Viera
    male duskwight elezen are a myth
    at least there's a lot of elezen NPCs though

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I toyed with the idea of using one of my freebie Fantasias to become a bunny but then I started playing ShB and found that I was too attached to my character to play anything else. A lot of that had to do with how animated our characters became in the new expansion. Besides, there aren't a ton of Highlander ladies so I'll still somewhat unique.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    I had 2 free Fantasias so I swapped to a bunny, then swapped back.

They’re good! But I’m quite taken with my giant, shredded femRoe

I did make a bunny girl alt just to mess around with, but never ended up playing her much.

She has an awesome name though.
    Her name is Adorable Sapling.

Viera
    Lars wrote: »
    I did make a bunny girl alt just to mess around with, but never ended up playing her much.

you let Feo Ul pick the name huh

BahamutZERO.gif
    Lars wrote: »

you let Feo Ul pick the name huh
    I really wanted to use that name after hanging out with Feo Ul. I was lucky it wasn't taken yet.

I should play that character more, since I feel bad about having a good name and not using it too much.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    That's a good-ass name.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    they gonna die in real life

X22wmuF.jpg
    Roegadyn
    It’s comforting in a way to know that you’re going to die and there’s nothing that you or anyone else can do about it.

• AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I had 2 free Fantasias so I swapped to a bunny, then swapped back.

They’re good! But I’m quite taken with my giant, shredded femRoe

i play a max height highlander lady. and while viera are pretty and all, they're just not buff enough.

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I browse the forum almost solely via bookmarks page. I didn't realize until I got home tonight that there was another thread up. I thought the old one just got quiet.

I still don't pick a race not because I fantasia too much but because I have too many alts and actually play more than one of them. But still, even if Viera can't wear most hats, mine can still wear this, so I glamour every headpiece into it because it fits this hairstyle.
    YSFTP5W.jpg
    (I think I mentioned this reasoning before, but I don't recall if that was here or elsewhere)

SabreMau on
    Viera
    woo my static finally cleared E2S, quietus phase can eat my entire butt

BahamutZERO.gif
    Roegadyn
    It should be illegal for raid finder to put you in O11, actually.

Like a fuckin war flashback

X22wmuF.jpg
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Au'ra
    turtleant wrote: »
    It should be illegal for raid finder to put you in O11, actually.

Like a fuckin war flashback

It's not a joke that O11 is harder than O12 casually. Larboard ho!

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Viera
    I've always found 12 harder, though I have a pretty small sample size as I came in at the end of Stormblood and only ran it like twice before Shadowbringers hit.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Roegadyn
    Basically when a wave cannon starts casting my brain locks up and I just panic choose a direction

X22wmuF.jpg
    Roegadyn
    Finally finished leveling all of my DOL/DOH jobs, and I only need 1 more level on my AST to hit 70. Then I guess I’ll start the 70-80 leg for everyone, but it’ll be nice to be in Shadowbringers content across the board.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    Larboard is the worst idea.

Not for nothing, I think, have they stuck to Left or Right for similar moves since.

Viera
    it's more than just the name, although the name certainly does trip people up. It's also a pretty fast cast, he casts it twice in a row and picks a side at random both times, and he spins himself 180 degrees after each cast which causes which side is which to invert

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Enlong wrote: »
    Larboard is the worst idea.

Not for nothing, I think, have they stuck to Left or Right for similar moves since.

The last boss of Grand Cosmos does the same type of thing, but fortunately it only does it once, it has a slow cast, and it's a pretty obvious tell. (don't be on the sword side)

edited November 2019
    Viera
    yeah the animation tell of which side he's holding the sword on is what makes his version much easier to me. Starboard/Larboard don't have any obvious visual tell for which version it is as far as I ever noticed, just a visual tell that he's doing one of them and you better figure out which one quick.

As much as I'm calling it hard though I also think it's a fun mechanic.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Roegadyn
    Also Omega is liable to get a cheeky hit because you'll forget it hits just a little more than 180⁰ after not doing the fight for a while.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    the real problem with starboard/larboard is that, up until that point, and outside of extreme/savage/ultimate type stuff, you're rarely at any real disadvantage for not reading the names of enemy attacks, so most players learned not to bother

omega actually made my healer main girlfriend say, out loud, "how the hell am I supposed to watch the party's health bars, and the boss, AND a *little text bar* all at once?"

fast-forward to shadowbringers and she's anticipating and shielding me for tank busters regularly because she's learned to look at the bar

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Ya dealing with enemy casts got a lot easier once I moved their cast bar to the middle of my screen and cranked the size up a few notches.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Hyur
    Wrapped up Rak’tika this weekend (oh god that song is permanently in my brain now help me).

May actually finish the story before the new year. Holy crap. I feel like I’ve been playing forever already.

At some point I gotta go back and do all those raids and trials I’ve skipped.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I use a lot of fantasias
    rhylith wrote: »
    Wrapped up Rak’tika this weekend (oh god that song is permanently in my brain now help me).

May actually finish the story before the new year. Holy crap. I feel like I’ve been playing forever already.

At some point I gotta go back and do all those raids and trials I’ve skipped.

LA HEE

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Any fight where I need to watch the action bar for attack names is pretty much poison for my ADHD brain. I'm already juggling too many things to keep track of. I only got through O11 by getting carried with like four or five deaths.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    easiest thing to do is set the boss to be your focus target, and put the focus target bar somewhere near where your eyes are focusing. This way you can see a cast bar start out of the corner of your eye and then look at it to know wtf is going on.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Lalafell
    I put my target bar right above ny cross hotbar and hotbars where I track ogcds and it works since my eyes default there

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    the real problem with starboard/larboard is that, up until that point, and outside of extreme/savage/ultimate type stuff, you're rarely at any real disadvantage for not reading the names of enemy attacks, so most players learned not to bother

omega actually made my healer main girlfriend say, out loud, "how the hell am I supposed to watch the party's health bars, and the boss, AND a *little text bar* all at once?"

fast-forward to shadowbringers and she's anticipating and shielding me for tank busters regularly because she's learned to look at the bar

I've seen a few streamers edit the UI to make enemy cast bars a lot bigger. I've been meaning to do that myself.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Yeah, I cranked the enemy cast bar up, and I also set them as my focus target and cranked the size of that up. I occasionally get annoyed when random people in party finder are bad at reacting to stuff like that, but then I remember that the text for a lot of people is probably both small and not in the center of the screen.

Viera
    setting the boss as the focus target and putting the focus target bar near the middle of the screen is invaluable for me as a healer since I often don't have the boss targeted

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    setting the boss as the focus target and putting the focus target bar near the middle of the screen is invaluable for me as a healer since I often don't have the boss targeted

My usual work is just hit the "target of target" button, to target a tank or whomever is being attacked, and then heal them. I also have a macro to heal the target of target for just healing tanks while dpsing bosses.

Having the focus target makes it really easy to just get back to the boss at any time.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    I enlarged the target bar, the target's cast bar, my debuffs, and the enmity list. It helps me notice when bad things are happening.

Roegadyn
    I also finished the Crystalline Mean quests.
    I've known Skip for for day and a half, but if anything happened to him I would kill everyone in the Crystarium and then myself.

This discussion has been closed.