As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The newer action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    It's funny seeing it next to devastator gives it a whole different send of scale. If I can get one cheaply it's on the list now. Just for the sheer dumbass size of it

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    BBTS put a few Planet X items on sale, including Apocalypse (their Trypticon). 40-60% off

Apocalypse is now a bit more reasonable, still too pricey for me though.

wow at $215 apocalypse is pretty good. i might pick some of those up (non apocalypse sinc ei have him)

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I am highly tempted by that not-Trypticon

but this showed up: https://www.hlj.com/1-48-scale-riobot-afc-01h-legioss-type-eta-set88040

Too much cool plastic shit

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

but this showed up: https://www.hlj.com/1-48-scale-riobot-afc-01h-legioss-type-eta-set88040

Oh man that is way too awesome. Dangit, now I want one....

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

What if Macross but chonk?

edited November 2019
    So I managed to snag Siege Apeface from Amazon for $5 off this week. I finally had a chance to try and transform him and... I'm seriously annoyed with it.

Apeface and Snapdragon were two triple changers that I always wanted growing up and never saw one in person. So I was so stoked that they showed off Apeface earlier this year. I actually pre-ordered it from Hasbro when they went live and cancelled it so I could get it faster and cheaper from Amazon.

Back to the toy. In robot mode he is absolutely cool with all the articulation they gave him. But that all starts to fall apart when I try to transform him. His legs in bot mode are his ape torso and forearms. You can barely see it in bot mode, but it has the annoying fold the leg open and do this sort of origami folding of it to compress it down and form a solid mass. Hasbro/Takara Tomy has used this before in lots of bots before. The soft plastic that they used allows some flexibility which is a pro and con since you have to tab it into parts which doesn't work completely as designed. Then the "back" of the Ape mode (which the jet nose cone is also attached) is supposed to fold down and tab into the legs. Doing this didn't really work for me and then the neck area for the ape doesn't fit like all of the photos I have seen, which leaves it flopping about.

Then I tried to put it into jet mode and that is where I lost it. The cockpit/nosecone part of mine won't tab into the feet parts without the entire "back" and legs to untab and fall apart. So I decided to put him back into bot mode and walk away.

I'll try transforming him later and take some photos to share, but for now posed him and left him on my coffee table. It really pissed me off since I was looking forward to him. So much so that I'm thinking of cancelling my pre-orders for the entire Seacons and Astrotrain in disgust.

Edit: He is still available for $24.99 on Amazon here: https://smile.amazon.com/Transformers-Generations-Cybertron-Voyager-WFC-S50/dp/B07V8VNVHF/

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I've heard that the instructions for Apeface skips several steps that help him hook together better. You may want to check a YouTube review to see if you're missing something.

edited November 2019
    I've heard that the instructions for Apeface skips several steps that help him hook together better. You may want to check a YouTube review to see if you're missing something.

Yeah, their instructions are getting worse and worse over time. Heck, even Reflector (Refraktor or whatever they call him) doesn't have any instructions showing how to convert three of them into a camera. Thanks to fans it was figured out, so I'm going to go to watch some videos to see what I'm messing up. One point I did see was that my neck piece (or whatever you want to call the piece where the ape head attaches) has a slot that looks like it snaps into the connector for the cockpit/nosecone part but I'm afraid of pushing too hard and breaking it. Probably need to do that to get it to sit flush in ape mode. Another thing I saw on the TF2005 forums is that you have to be careful with the "wing" part since it is made of clear plastic and can break, so a little sanding will save that from happening.

Edit: My review was a bit harsh mainly because I was so looking forward to getting and playing with Apeface, which didn't happen last night. Plus I just needed to vent out my frustration rather than breaking him apart. So yeah, I'll leave him till I have some proper time to play with him and remember that some of these newer Transformers are a whole lot more fiddly than earlier ones (and G1 versions) which allows them to have more articulation and look a lot better.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    That's really disappointing to hear @Betsuni

I have no emotional attachment to apeface but he seemed cool so I wanted to get him but the fragility (or potential of) irks me. Fiddly bots or onces that require arcane rituals to transform were the entire issue with the bayformers stuff

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    My Apeface came in.... completely missing the instructions, which is kinda funny considering. It's not the perfect figure I was hoping for when I first saw the pictures, but I do really like it

Definitely the ape mode is the weakest part, but I was able to get the head/neck part to securely stay in place. It's definitely weird though. Like, you have to kinda hook that tab down into the chest, then press the jet's nosecone's tab into the back, which will pull back on that front hook and secure it. It doesn't look clean, but I'm pretty sure this is how it's supposed to work.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    edited December 2019
    Oh man... All of the Baby Yoda stuff that is coming out in May is way too adorable. I suckered myself into getting the 6 little figures, Black Series and the talking plush.

Here is an Entertainment Earth link with photos:

https://www.entertainmentearth.com/s/star-wars/t?rs_oid_rd=1987281368534261&query1=Star Wars&theme=star-wars&sort=newly-added&utm_source=promo-BabyYodaHasbro-20191212&utm_medium=email&utm_content=promo&utm_campaign=hero

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Guyz I might have to start posting in this thread. I'm a collector of ball-jointed-dolls (BJD) and my favorite brand is called Smart Doll - these dolls are 1:3 scale which makes them about twice the size of Barbie. They have a lot of range of motion thanks to the joints.

Anyway I bring all this up because Smart Doll has recently acquired licensing to make dolls from: 1) DC and 2) Disney. He's heavily hinted that he'll be doing Star Wars dolls for which I am LIT. He'll probably also be doing Marvel dolls at some point.

The only full prototype he's shown yet is Super Girl, and she's not my favorite -

JfCAQzj.png

But he also posted this which tells me next prototype will probably be Bat Girl:

Fz30o39.jpg

Of the three properties he's mentioned, Star Wars would be my #1 must-get, but depending on how Bat Girl comes out I may want her, too. I'm not really sure who they'd do from Marvel, but potentially it's not just limited to films, it could include comic-only characters. That said, there's a limit to how many characters he can do, because his studio is small by choice. On the other hand, when he does a licensed character it's always a limited release, so once it's created he doesn't have to keep up with demand or anything, he just ships them out and works on the next one.

I'm just super on board with all of this and can't wait to see more.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Oooh, those look really cool! I can't speak for others, but I'd be game to see photos of your collection (and more stuff from this if it is SW based). That is also cool that a small studio gets a big license.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Oooh, those look really cool! I can't speak for others, but I'd be game to see photos of your collection (and more stuff from this if it is SW based). That is also cool that a small studio gets a big license.

Ah, I don't really collect figures other than my BJDs, and the only one of them that is licensed is from an anime I don't watch (Code Geass) just because I really liked the look of the figure. The upcoming Smart Doll stuff will be the only SW stuff I own, outside of a really rad Captain Phasma purse I own.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    So what makes it a ball jointed doll? I'm guessing the joints are ball like allowing realistic positioning? I have to admit that I have bought toys and Legos just because it looked cool and have no idea what sort of show/thing it is from.

Also, man that hair on the Supergirl doll looks almost real.

I never realized that Phasma made a neat looking purse till now. That is actually awesome.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Wow, 1:3 scale? That's seems pretty big! I'm guessing each doll would be around two feet tall? I imagine a collection of these would require a pretty serious space commitment.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I see dolls like those all the time when I visit Japan. Is it a Japanese company? I'm going to Tokyo in March and planning to get a bunch of stuff, if I see any cool doll I'll snap some pics

I see dolls like those all the time when I visit Japan. Is it a Japanese company? I'm going to Tokyo in March and planning to get a bunch of stuff, if I see any cool doll I'll snap some pics

Yes, they are Japanese! I would love some pics from there, he showcases a lot of stuff you can't buy yet (or that used to be on sale but isn't anymore)

They're in Tokyo: https://info.smartdoll.jp/en/posts/mirai-store-tokyo

And yes to answer Delduwrath's question, they are 2 feet and space is an issue. I "only" have 5 now, but I'm going to be putting up shelving so I can buy see if the new ones I'm craving.

So what makes it a ball jointed doll? I'm guessing the joints are ball like allowing realistic positioning? I have to admit that I have bought toys and Legos just because it looked cool and have no idea what sort of show/thing it is from.

I never realized that Phasma made a neat looking purse till now. That is actually awesome.

Ball and socket joints are what make a bjd, yeah. Most of the companies I know of that make the collector's item bjds are Japanese, but I've been seeing more American toy companies do barbie-sized bjd lately.

Oh man, I also just remembered that they could do a Spider Gwen with the Marvel license, and I would KILL for a Spider Gwen Smart Doll. Gebus I need to make more money.

Oooooh those are awesome. I love that guy's shop. Too bad they don't do the make your own according to the website since that looked like people had fun.

I thought my collection of Transformers and Macross was crazy with some of those being "big". But my biggest ones are still small compared to those.
    Cambiata wrote: »

Ball and socket joints are what make a bjd, yeah. Most of the companies I know of that make the collector's item bjds are Japanese, but I've been seeing more American toy companies do barbie-sized bjd lately.

Ah ok. That's cool that some are making smaller ones. Probably makes it easier to collect and display.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited December 2019
    Oooooh those are awesome. I love that guy's shop. Too bad they don't do the make your own according to the website since that looked like people had fun.

I thought my collection of Transformers and Macross was crazy with some of those being "big". But my biggest ones are still small compared to those.

Ah ok. That's cool that some are making smaller ones. Probably makes it easier to collect and display.

There's an entire subculture within bjd collecting of people who buy American bjds and then repaint the faces. The more advanced creators change the hair and to mods to the figure, as well. Those videos are how I got into bjds in the first place! A toy brand called Monster High is really popular for this.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyiaLkKVnjo

Edit: I picked that one at random and then watched it, and am annoyed that she removed all the articulation from the figure. So here's another channel, this was my original inspiration, I've watched ours of her videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acC4cN8tBms

Cambiata on
    Holy cow that is crazy awesome. That takes real talent to do that much detail to such a small figure. Here I thought that Gunpla was crazy. Thanks for sharing that video.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Those dolls look neat.

But also very large3

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
    Oh they are gigantic. And I just ordered a new one, whoops.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    My Furai 06 (IDW Megatron) model arrived today. I love the design of IDW Megs and I'm willing to sacrifice transformability for such an accurate headsculpt. I've never been 100% satisfied with a Hastak Megatron. The triple changer from a few years back was close, but was compromised by the headmaster gimmick and kinda crummy weapons.

I really want this to look good so I'm probably going to make my first attempt at panel lining, as well. I've done 2-3 gunpla kits before but never did any finishing on them.

Delzhand wrote: »
    My Furai 06 (IDW Megatron) model arrived today. I love the design of IDW Megs and I'm willing to sacrifice transformability for such an accurate headsculpt. I've never been 100% satisfied with a Hastak Megatron. The triple changer from a few years back was close, but was compromised by the headmaster gimmick and kinda crummy weapons.

I really want this to look good so I'm probably going to make my first attempt at panel lining, as well. I've done 2-3 gunpla kits before but never did any finishing on them.

I havent even stickered mine. Tbh it looks great without anything extra but I'd imagine it'll be incredible with additional details like panel lining

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Yeah one thing I'm not sure about is the Autobot badge. It's on a shiny background, so I might leave it off in favor of a reprolabel.

I also picked up Siege Ratchet this weekend, and I like him but he's sooo white. I wonder if TFs will take panel lining at all.

Ended up getting Siege Brunt, Siege Thundercracker...

And Generations Roadbuster (I've wanted him for a while, I just didn't expect anybody to go looking for him for me).

Note, I'm kinda fond of the Seekers this time around. The transformation makes sense and it looks very faithful to the tetrajets that you saw for all of 5 minutes in the cartoons. My only complaint now is that while Red Wing seems to be more common now (showing up in a few more online places), the set with Skywarp in it has all but disappeared.

Nobody wrote: »
    Ended up getting Siege Brunt, Siege Thundercracker...

And Generations Roadbuster (I've wanted him for a while, I just didn't expect anybody to go looking for him for me).

Note, I'm kinda fond of the Seekers this time around. The transformation makes sense and it looks very faithful to the tetrajets that you saw for all of 5 minutes in the cartoons. My only complaint now is that while Red Wing seems to be more common now (showing up in a few more online places), the set with Skywarp in it has all but disappeared.

Yeah, the tetra jet mold is really neat. I especially love how the "intakes" rotate and become the nose cone. Yeah, lots of people are really upset about Skywarp and Amazon's handling of it. I pre-ordered it long ago since I figured it would be rare to get. The set did come in stock once (and maybe twice) after that but for full price. Then now nothing. I know that some people were hoping it would go on sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday but they actually never came back in stock. It does suck that the third jet is now lost to time thanks to scalpers and Amazon. To be honest Hasbro should re-release him in the next set as a Siege/Earthbound box set just to allow people to get him for a decent price.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I got my new doll in today, and she's part of a new "semi-real" line that was designed specifically so that hey can start licensing video game characters - I'm assuming JRPGs but I'd love to see some American studios get in on it too. Looking at her today I realized that she would make a perfect Commander Shepard, and now I have to learn the craft necessary to make her some armor.
    e819659bxmm6.jpg

edited December 2019
    I got my new doll in today, and she's part of a new "semi-real" line that was designed specifically so that hey can start licensing video game characters - I'm assuming JRPGs but I'd love to see some American studios get in on it too. Looking at her today I realized that she would make a perfect Commander Shepard, and now I have to learn the craft necessary to make her some armor.
    e819659bxmm6.jpg

That is one really cool looking doll. Man, this is where a 3D printer would be awesome to make the armor.

So I picked up a Machine Robo Steam Robo over the holidays and I so love him. I have a bunch of the original Machine Robos and some GoBots from my childhood, but the MR vehicles were special to me since I would only get one every so often at a store near my grandparents' house. We would go there and my brother and I would drool over each one of them and every so often we would get to choose one to take home with us. Luckily one of them was the Steam Robo and these new versions are really neat in keeping the similar designs, yet modernizing them by giving them more joints to pose. I have not even put this guy away on my display since I love playing with him so much. So far he's joined Warpath on my coffee table for my daily transforming. Once I do decide to move him to my robots display I'm not sure what mode I will leave him in since both are great.

His transformation is really interesting. His arms become the top back of the train while the rest of his head and torso becomes the front. The wheels on his legs fold out and become one side of the bottom each. It really is a great and fun toy to transform.

Here are some photos.
    MR_steam_robo.jpg
    MR_steam_robo_02.jpg

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    I don't know why I didn't think of 3D printing sooner, except that it's kind of pricey, but I already found plenty of 3d printing weapon files out on the internet, and sent files for a 1:3 scale Mass Effect Claymore to Shapeways. I'll be interested to see how it comes out.

e819659bxmm6.jpg

That is one really cool looking doll. Man, this is where a 3D printer would be awesome to make the armor.

So I picked up a Machine Robo Steam Robo over the holidays and I so love him. I have a bunch of the original Machine Robos and some GoBots from my childhood, but the MR vehicles were special to me since I would only get one every so often at a store near my grandparents' house. We would go there and my brother and I would drool over each one of them and every so often we would get to choose one to take home with us. Luckily one of them was the Steam Robo and these new versions are really neat in keeping the similar designs, yet modernizing them by giving them more joints to pose. I have not even put this guy away on my display since I love playing with him so much. So far he's joined Warpath on my coffee table for my daily transforming. Once I do decide to move him to my robots display I'm not sure what mode I will leave him in since both are great.

His transformation is really interesting. His arms become the top back of the train while the rest of his head and torso becomes the front. The wheels on his legs fold out and become one side of the bottom each. It really is a great and fun toy to transform.

Here are some photos.
    MR_steam_robo.jpg
    MR_steam_robo_02.jpg

The Action Toys ones? I considered them, but they seemed a bit pricey to me. Kinda look like the MP versions of the old GoBots.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Having they done the flying saucer gobot in the new line? That was a favorite of mine. (Actually I hated as a child, but I have fond memories of it now. Nostalgia's quite the thing.)

Nobody wrote: »
    e819659bxmm6.jpg

Here are some photos.
    MR_steam_robo.jpg
    MR_steam_robo_02.jpg

The Action Toys ones? I considered them, but they seemed a bit pricey to me. Kinda look like the MP versions of the old GoBots.

Yeah that is the one. It was on the pricer side, but they are a bit bigger than the originals. I would consider them more of a deluxe upgrade to the originals than a MP. At least this sized ones. I saw that they made bigger ones of Eagle Robo and Bike Robo that seem to be MP sized.
    Having they done the flying saucer gobot in the new line? That was a favorite of mine. (Actually I hated as a child, but I have fond memories of it now. Nostalgia's quite the thing.)

Nope, so far it seems they only did the bike, F-15, Drill Bot, Missile Tank, Blue Tank, SR-71, Space Shuttle and the train so far. I liked the spaceship too and some people are hoping for that one. But it doesn't sound like they are coming out with these very fast.

oosik_betsuni.png
    So I got a MP Hound yesterday, but there is a crack on it so I will not be able to share him with the thread. This bums me out since it looked really good. I guess I could take photos of the vehicle more and accessories if someone wants them.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited January 2020
    Not sure how well this is going to work:
    aa7fL2Lh.jpg
    U2srv7sh.jpg

WingedWeasel on
This discussion has been closed.