As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What was that game?

BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
Since you guys are wizards at this, help me out. These are the details I recall:

Sega Genesis
RPG (95% sure it was a JRPG)
Large number and variety of party members
Some kind of grid layout for battles
Large number of characters brought into battle (Eight? maybe more)
One part of the story involved ascending a mountain, then going inside a cave/chamber where a/the boss baddies were waiting for you.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    grid and large number of characters makes me think of tactical RPGs like the Shining Force series

https://youtu.be/eXOmHRyqwpg?t=3038

https://youtu.be/aPvcSyD4MSk?t=6400

BahamutZERO.gif
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Shining Force games are pretty much the only RPGs on the Genesis that made it out of Japan that would match that description. Or Warsong, but I never played that one.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Yeah, I'm leaning more towards Shining Force than Warsong based on the description, but both are pretty good!

(Warsong was known as Langrisser in Japan and had several sequels that never made it out here)

SteevL on
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Shining Force 2 might fit. I'm going to watch some accelerated speedruns to see if anything rings a bell.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Could it be for a different system? Ogre Battle hits the same notes otherwise

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Pedant alert: it probably isn't Ogre Battle. Even if he misremembers the Genesis for the Snes, the first Ogre Battle isn't grid based (and the cave/mountain doesn't make sense for it), and it's unlikely that he played Tactics Ogre on a 16-bit console, so that would have been on a later gen when it was re-released (PS1, maybe the Saturn too?).

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I'm gonna agree it was probably one of the Shining Force games.

steam_sig.png
  • OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    This one's been bugging me for a while:

PC game, early 90s
    Arcade-style maze shooter with 16 bit graphics.
    Hero was blue and there was a futuristic, sci-fi setting
    Game over screen had Chopin's Funeral March and the words "Another One Bites The Dust"
    Might have been developed in the UK?

OctoberRaven on
    Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • chokemchokem Registered User regular
    S U I K O D E N

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    chokem wrote: »
    S U I K O D E N

That's a PS1 game with a 6 player party cap. Doesn't really fit.

Shining Force 2 still sounds the most likely to me. I don't remember the first one very well, but you definitely do the climbing a mountain into a boss battle at least once in 2. You meet the bird people there as I recall if that rings a bell.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    This one's been bugging me for a while:

PC game, early 90s
    Arcade-style maze shooter with 16 bit graphics.
    Hero was blue and there was a futuristic, sci-fi setting
    Game over screen had Chopin's Funeral March and the words "Another One Bites The Dust"
    Might have been developed in the UK?

More visual information please, what perspective, map, etc

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    This was a long time ago, so there's really not much else. Top down perspective. I think the protagonist may have been blonde? I think the maps had a future-industrial look, like a spaceship.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Hmm. That sounds like Loaded on psone if I had to guess. Just a random hunch. I seem to recall that death screen quote and that's the only thing I can think of.

No, that's not it. It was 16-bit sprites and pretty colorful, and this was closer to the beginning of the SNES lifespan.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Dunno about the music (I've only seen screenshots), but maybe Super Smash TV?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    @OctoberRaven Please make your own thread, this one is for the OP and at this point it's not certain at a glance which game is being discussed in this one.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    Fair enough. I'll stop responding here.