As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TV] is the only parent I ever knew

minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying fieldnjRegistered User regular
In order:
1. Anya
2. Cordelia
3. Tara

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    oh i love game of thrones

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Amy is quickly becoming intolerable in this season of Superstore

Her scenes managed to be worse than Garrett and the obvious product advertisement

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    In order:
    1. Anya
    2. Cordelia
    3. Tara

These were your parents?

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    1. Harmony
    2. Tara
    3. Buffy Bot

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    In order:
    1. Anya
    2. Cordelia
    3. Tara

These were your parents?

If only.

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    Question:

When we are ranking Buffy characters, are we including characters in Angel? Cause that will heavily influence my answers.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    Question:

When we are ranking Buffy characters, are we including characters in Angel? Cause that will heavily influence my answers.

Only if they originated in buffy

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Oh there's like three episodes at the end of the last Expanse season I never saw, I was wondering why the trailers for the next season seemed like it was gonna skip the ending of one of the books.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Oh there's like three episodes at the end of the last Expanse season I never saw, I was wondering why the trailers for the next season seemed like it was gonna skip the ending of one of the books.

This is better than Christmas.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Question:

I was not. I only counted characterization based on their appearances in Buffy, personally.

For example, Wesley is probably my favorite character from the whole universe, but that's pretty much entirely based on his Angel characterization, so I wouldn't count him on a Buffy list.

Meanwhile Cordelia would probably make my top ten on Buffy, even if I'm not entirely sure where she'd land with my Angel rankings due to overall character stuff there.

It gets a bit dicier with like, Drusilla (probably a top five no matter what) or Faith (who I feel is fairly consistent between the two shows but both are necessary to showcase her breadth), but that's my general rule.

Straightzi on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    1. Anya
    2. Cordelia
    3. The Mayor

I just remembered a REALLY funny, VERY mean joke from Buffy, that I will spoiler for the sake of those watching for the first time
    When Cordelia was left in potentially-mortal danger, saying her final goodbyes, and they cut to a shot of a graveyard, and then pan over to Buffy and Willow talking about how Cordelia's fine and healing well

What an amazingly cruel fakeout

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Question:

I was not. I only counted characterization based on their appearances in Buffy, personally.

For example, Wesley is probably my favorite character from the whole universe, but that's pretty much entirely based on his Angel characterization, so I wouldn't count him on a Buffy list.

Meanwhile Cordelia would probably make my top ten on Buffy, even if I'm not entirely sure where she'd land with my Angel rankings due to overall character stuff there.

It gets a bit dicier with like, Drusilla (probably a top five no matter what) or Faith (who I feel is fairly consistent between the two shows but both are necessary to showcase her breadth), but that's my general rule.

I wish I could give all of this a few extra "agrees", FYI.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    1. Anya
    2. Cordelia
    3. The Mayor

I just remembered a REALLY funny, VERY mean joke from Buffy, that I will spoiler for the sake of those watching for the first time
    When Cordelia was left in potentially-mortal danger, saying her final goodbyes, and they cut to a shot of a graveyard, and then pan over to Buffy and Willow talking about how Cordelia's fine and healing well

What an amazingly cruel fakeout
    And then that got a reference in Angel, and it was great.

sig.gif
    How the hell did that Native American Thanksgiving skit on SNL make it to air?

Oh, right. Che and Jost.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I remember a comic I follow on Twitter tweeting (and then deleting because she doesn't want to hurt her career) that working on SNL right now sounds miserable because Jost spends most of his time in his mansion in the Hamptons and isn't an active part of the writer's room and frequently sends edits or sketch ideas last minute which the writers have to scramble with

Which

Explains a lot

CYpGAPn.png
    How the hell did that Native American Thanksgiving skit on SNL make it to air?

Oh, right. Che and Jost.

In a bit of cosmic comic timing:

I went to a gala thing last night, celebrating indigenous media artists. There were showcases for native youth, awards from and to native filmmakers, actors, writers. There was music and dances from native musicians. It was all very cool.

And when I got home from it, I turned on the TV, and THAT sketch was on.

I turned the TV back off and went to bed.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    I remember a comic I follow on Twitter tweeting (and then deleting because she doesn't want to hurt her career) that working on SNL right now sounds miserable because Jost spends most of his time in his mansion in the Hamptons and isn't an active part of the writer's room and frequently sends edits or sketch ideas last minute which the writers have to scramble with

Which

Explains a lot

Wow, being a head writer on SNL pays pretty well, huh?

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Fun Fact: Colin Jost and Pete Buttigieg were both dorm-mates while at Harvard.

Fun Fact: Being in a Harvard dormroom with Colin Jost and Pete Buttigieg is an actual arena of hell.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    Those Buffy rules are fair, so I'll cut Wesley from the list, and not include Angel in my top characters, cause all the characterization of him I love is from Angel.

So it's then:

1.Tara
    2.Willow
    3.Giles
    4.Oz
    5. Spike

I really like what Tara brought to the show as a more true emotional center than Xander (who I've come to really dislike over the years) is. Willow is a dynamic and interesting character for every season of the show, and Alyson Hannigan just kills it as her. Giles is just a great, nuanced character who is also a mentor character who has some meat to his storylines. Oz is just fun. Same with Spike, he's a great villain and antagonist for the show.

BlankZoe wrote: »

Which

Explains a lot

Wow, being a head writer on SNL pays pretty well, huh?

His, uh, fiance does okay for herself.

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I’m just gunna take a stab and say Jost wasn’t doing so bad before SNL

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Gustav wrote: »

Oh, he's not one of those BOOTSTRAPS Harvard-to-TV-to-Hamptons-mansion types? But those are so common!

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Taking only character development from Buffy and not Angel:

1. Giles
    2. Anya
    3. Mayor Wilkins

Positions are in flux based on my mood, and may include runner-ups like Tara, pre-UPN Spike, Drusilla, and Her Splendiferousness Glorificus the Glorious One.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Finally watching Deadwood and man, everything lanMcshane says is gold.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular

Oh, he's not one of those BOOTSTRAPS Harvard-to-TV-to-Hamptons-mansion types? But those are so common!

wait are you not posting from the hamptons right now

do the stumptown writers not have one big mansion they all hang out at

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

wait are you not posting from the hamptons right now

do the stumptown writers not have one big mansion they all hang out at

Be careful or @Poorochondriac will stop being polite... And start getting real.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't know why I @'d him on that post.. I should go back to bed.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The mayor on Buffy always reminds me of Will Ferrell

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Cocksucker.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

His ability to make extreme piles of profanity sound like poetry is amazing.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    When I finally got around to starting Deadwood it was shortly after watching the last season of game of thrones, so I was really enjoying it up until at the end of the first season Timothy Olyphant starts going "I don't want it" and I had to step away

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Whoops!

Buffy:
    1. Anya
    2. Glory
    3. Drusilla
    4. Ethan Rayne
    5. Jonathan
    6. Angelus
    7. Giles
    8. Joyce
    9. Mayor Richard Wilkins III
    10. Cordelia

Angel:
    1. Wesley Wyndham-Pryce
    2. Doyle
    3. Lindsey
    4. Drusilla
    5. Darla
    6. Lilah
    7. Gunn
    8. Lorne
    9. Merl
    10. Groosalugg

Combined:
    1. Wesley Wyndham-Pryce
    2. Anya
    3. Drusilla
    4. Darla
    5. Glory
    6. Doyle
    7. Faith
    8. Lindsey
    9. Harmony
    10. Lilah

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Good list there. If Angel had 11 spots I feel like it's Skip

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    Yeah, Skip would be another one around that area. He's part of the Jasmine stuff, which drags him down a bit (Jasmine, while a plot I like a lot in theory, doesn't really work in practice - see also Adam).

I kind of enjoy the fact that I don't think anyone at all has listed either Angel or Buffy in their lists.

But yeah, Wesley is at the top of my Angel list, and for sure the whole thing if we're taking them combined, too.

I had Angelus on my Buffy list

That's sort of like having Angel

Straightzi wrote: »
    I had Angelus on my Buffy list

That's sort of like having Angel

"Sort of" is fair.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I have been slowly watching Deadwood for the first time since this summer. Like one or two episode a week whenever I am jogging on the treadmill. It is amazing for keeping my focus and distracting me from my crap body. I am nearing the end of the series and am sad. I need to find another show like it that I haven't seen before.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

I have been slowly watching Deadwood for the first time since this summer. Like one or two episode a week whenever I am jogging on the treadmill. It is amazing for keeping my focus and distracting me from my crap body. I am nearing the end of the series and am sad. I need to find another show like it that I haven't seen before.

Just jump into Justified afterwards if you need more angry Timothy Olyphant!

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Not enough people have Dawn on their lists.

For shame!

This discussion has been closed.