As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Electric

Motherfucking

Wizard

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Ok after thinking about it for a few mins is it just me or are there basically no female fronted prog metal acts

I drew a blank aside from maybe... spiritbox?

can think of tonnes in other subgenres

obF2Wuw.png
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    @surrealitycheck

Triosphere, Rolo Tomassi, Dreadnought, Obscure Sphinx, Aghora, Madder fucking Mortem (aka one of the best bands on Earth), To-Mera, Bent Knee, mid-to-late-period albums from The Gathering, to name a few. Granted a lot of these are hybrids of progressive metal/rock and some other niche, but they still count. Atrox had female vocals for a lot of their records and they're pretty damn proggy.

So it's just you!

autothrall on
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i bought a shirt that says LEGALIZE DRUGS AND MURDER

also, here's a look to 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N0-mVDIIps

Vanguard wrote: »

Promo for this should be here any day and I can't wait!

Also just got one for the new Haeresiarchs of Dis which comes out next week.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    o ya rolo are a good shout im from the uk too and forgot them - i suppose its partly that a lot of those acts i dont think of as being "prog" first but being fair ya most of them count

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited November 2019
    Oh for sure. It's hard to nail down any 'pure' progressive metal bands down, male or female fronted. Dream Theater is probably the most iconic ideal of the style, but even they are progressive/power in places. Watchtower? Progressive thrash. Ihsahn? Progressive black metal. Opeth? Progressive/death metal (old) and now hard progressive rock (new).

It's a difficult thing to define, apart from maybe using varied time signatures and tempos, structured jamming sequences, heavy use of conceptual themes, but even then when you go back to archetypal prog rock bands from the 70s a lot of them didn't do that much of the time. These days I come up with percentages to cope with it. So, for Madder Mortem I might say they were 40% progressive metal, 40% gothic/doom metal and 20% groove metal or some nonsense like that.

autothrall on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Yeah these days Prog is kind of a difficult thing to define. It's a wide umbrella and seems to catch a lot of stuff that's kind of proggy but isn't like...Dream Theater or IQ or Spock's Beard or...

There's also the mini-genre art rock (like Radiohead) which blurs the line even more. But to me, prog music is music that defies traditional song structure which is usually a song built around one or two basic ideas, an intro, a verse, a chorus, and then repeated. Maybe there's a solo in there, and then there's an outro sometimes. With prog there's got to be a willingness to think outside the box with how your song is composed. The kicker to this is that there are a few prog bands out there retreading beaten prog-ground which is kind of the antithesis of what prog should be about, but that's kind of a big tangent.

I think the proggiest female fronted band I know is Bent Knee, which I think just released a new album actually. Oceans of Slumber is often thought of as prog too, so you might dig them. Faun Fables (more folky), Karnataka's pretty good if you like that symphonic style, White Willow is kind of a proggy art-rock band you might like?

I guess the question is, what kind of prog do you want?

edited November 2019
    autothrall wrote: »
    Oh for sure. It's hard to nail down any 'pure' progressive metal bands down, male or female fronted. Dream Theater is probably the most iconic ideal of the style, but even they are progressive/power in places. Watchtower? Progressive thrash. Ihsahn? Progressive black metal. Opeth? Progressive/death metal (old) and now hard progressive rock (new).

It's a difficult thing to define, apart from maybe using varied time signatures and tempos, structured jamming sequences, heavy use of conceptual themes, but even then when you go back to archetypal prog rock bands from the 70s a lot of them didn't do that much of the time. These days I come up with percentages to cope with it. So, for Madder Mortem I might say they were 40% progressive metal, 40% gothic/doom metal and 20% groove metal or some nonsense like that.

yeah exactly. i think theres definitely a sense in which like "traditional" prog as a vibe throughout rock music generally is a bit of a sausage fest, but its also unfair to specifically focus on some arbitrary cutoff for prog with metal when in any case for the label to really have any real purpose it has to include progressive variants of all bits and pieces because if it becomes by itself a narrow stylistic category then... whats the point

so here is the Final Definition: its Prog if its got Synths... and Corduroy

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Radiohead are progressive, but they're not Prog.

Dream Theater are Prog, but they're not progressive.

Discuss.

what happens when u have a band composed of amphibians tho
    frogressive rock

obF2Wuw.png
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular

Discuss.

I would like to light both of these bands on fire and listen to the recording of that.

steam_sig.png
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Discuss.

I would like to light both of these bands on fire and listen to the recording of that.

Considering Sons of Apollo performs a bunch of stuff from my favorite era of Dream Theater, I'm down for this.

If we're cherry picking members I'd like the meteor to take out Thom Yorke and Mike Mangini.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I'm partial to a bit of Radiohead myself, OK Computer only really these days though, didn't like where they went later on.

On a very unrelated note, new Cattle Decap!
    https://youtu.be/k3G2Iz8Vhd8

edited November 2019
    Some more atmospheric BM here, ebbs and flows between more ambient parts and nastier, raw black, I really enjoyed the last Jordablod album and as I'm listening to the promo for this new one I'm pretty thrilled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXPf4I5UWTw

autothrall on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I'm really digging the new Order Ov Riven Cathedrals. I dunno, I'd call it industrial tech death.

https://youtu.be/hbSQI3sXj1s

https://orderovrivencathedrals.bandcamp.com/album/thermonuclear-sculptures-blackness

That's pretty wild honestly, as soon as my mind even wants to write it off as tech wankery they shift into some cool orchestral/industrial sounding part and then some sick riff. Good find!

I just reviewed the new Deivos for all you Polish death fans, always a band you can rely on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhro5Urspr8

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I'm really digging the new Order Ov Riven Cathedrals. I dunno, I'd call it industrial tech death.

https://youtu.be/hbSQI3sXj1s

https://orderovrivencathedrals.bandcamp.com/album/thermonuclear-sculptures-blackness

Well kick me in the teeth and call me a dentist, this shit is right up my alley. Thanks for sharing, @Kakodaimonos!

Edit: Bought the CD on Bandcamp. These guys deserve the support.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    Moonreich just dropped a new EP

https://youtu.be/c1YI9ndezLg

in the uk theres an election rn and jeremy corbyn did a "nominate 3 people on twitter for a voter registration thing"

one of them was, uh, the lead singer of architects...?

obF2Wuw.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    SteevL wrote: »
    This is getting out of hand
    *Space Ninjas FROM HELL*

This is the only direction they could possibly go to top dinosaurs and saber-tooth tigers fighting with lazers.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    in the uk theres an election rn and jeremy corbyn did a "nominate 3 people on twitter for a voter registration thing"

one of them was, uh, the lead singer of architects...?

To follow up on this, I posted this picture in the Hiberno-Brittanic Politics thread, but for the benefit of the Hesher thread, they have previous - this is from just before the UK's 2017 general election:

ds9kho1c7gjb.jpg

Jazz on
    Hearing Victorius conflate Chinese and Japanese culture is pretty funny, but to be fair a lot of people did that in the 80s, and the 80s are the band's primary inspiration.

edited November 2019
    Hearing Victorius conflate Chinese and Japanese culture is pretty funny, but to be fair a lot of people did that in the 80s, and the 80s are the band's primary inspiration.

I think going forward, every Sho Kosugi movie from the 80's should be altered to have a track off their album put in as an ending credits theme.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    This album has grown on me quite a bit. When I reviewed it years ago I was lukewarm on it, but now I like it almost as much as the second album. I was wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jwnYNqI3P4

• EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    @autothrall Do you ever feel tempted to go back and re-write old reviews?

All these folks trying to be the Hiroo Onoda of the Loudness War...
    @autothrall Do you ever feel tempted to go back and re-write old reviews?

Not only tempted, I have actually done it. Not that often, but occasionally if I feel my opinion has swayed that much on something, then I think it's only right to adjust it later. Usually it's not a complete re-write of the review but a tweaking, because I usually don't shift opinion that much, just in small increments.

The new Running Wild EP is decent, but really this guy needs to pull a few different chords out of his mind palace. This sounds almost exactly like any minor combination or paraphrase of many other tunes he's already written. There are worse laurels to rest on but Rolf has already mastered this stuff a quarter century ago and at best it feels creatively limp and diminishing returns. Having said that, it's catchy enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovuV_tUhF9k

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    What is that putrid stink filling your nostrils? Well that would be Lord Mantis dropping a filth mired album on your face.

Interesting mix of things going on this time around, industrial bleeds into black which progressively infects the wounds of sludge metal.

I shall be giving this a few spins methinks!

https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/universal-death-church

• Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Vinyl pickup day!

7xqIRV0_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    Here's an interesting question for everybody: What albums have the largest difference between your original opinion and your current opinion? (Albums that you originally disliked and now love or that you originally loved and now dislike/are lukewarm on.)

For me, it took a while to figure out Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse. It was probably because the only black metal I was listening to at the time was faster stuff like Marduk and Immortal, so the more grandiose atmospheres just didn't click with me. I always thought "I Am the Black Wizards" was pretty cool, but that was about it. I don't remember when I finally "got it", but now it might be my favorite black metal album.
    As for the reverse situation, I say, with no small amount of shame, that twelve-year-old me thought DragonForce's Inhuman Rampage was the greatest thing since... well it was one of the first metal albums I ever listened to so, since ever. Needless to say, I don't think that highly of it now.

All these folks trying to be the Hiroo Onoda of the Loudness War...
    Hard to say for me. I have a lot of different buckets. There are albums I loved back in the day that I don't really like that much anymore but it could be just because I've listened to them a million times and am sick of them (like Master of Puppets or Aenima). There are albums I really liked but have kind of moved on from that sound or style and so don't revisit but I don't necessarily think are 'bad' (ie: Mudvayne's LD50).

On the other side there are albums that didn't grab me at first, like Black Crown Initiate's Selves We Cannot Forgive, but once I sat down and gave it a listen and it 'clicked' for me became one of my favourite albums of the last decade.

I think the thing I've pivoted most abruptly on was harsh vocals. I really liked early Opeth except for those damn harsh vocals. I kept thinking that I wish they'd make those kinds of albums but with only clean singing. Then over time I became accustomed to death growls and they became my preferred style in the metal I listen to. Then I started to love Opeth, which was ironic because shortly after they started putting out albums with only clean singing that I didn't like at all.

I was also blown away by the early Mastodon albums, which I still really like but don't think they're as good as I originally thought they were.

Elder was another band I slept on and then it suddenly clicked and they became one of my all-time favs.

Good question though.

That's a difficult question. There are rarely albums that I think are absolutely horrible and then change my opinion all the day to masterpieces. It's more albums that I think are average or decent quality and then they keep growing on me.

I'm still not 'there' with Morbid Angel's Formulas Fatal to the Flesh, but it has certainly continue to improve on me every time I sit down with it. Maybe one day I'll revere it like others seem to.

For the inverse, I will say I thought highly of Samael's Reign of Light for a brief while, and now I think it's truly mediocre at best.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    The one that comes to mind immediately for me, which might seem kind of crazy, is Elegy by Amorphis. I was still easing my way into metal that you didn't hear on the radio at the time, and had really only gotten into Carcass at that point. I was familiar with Amorphis from having seen the "Black Winter Day" video several years before, but I wasn't a fan of theirs. Elegy was the first album of theirs that I bought on a whim, and I was immediately turned off. It was mainly the almost polka-like rhythm and chords, which is not what I was ready for or expecting, and it sounded goofy to me at the time. I didn't really listen to more than the beginning of the first 2 songs before shelving it.

I later got Tales From the Thousand Lakes, which I quite enjoyed, and decided to give Elegy another chance. I pretty quickly thought "what was I thinking, this is awesome!" and it quickly became one of my favorite albums, which it still is to this day.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I remember buying Cynic's Focus from a local record store in 1995. Gave it a listen and was turned off by the weird new agey vocals at times. I put it away and didn't give it another proper listen for at least a year later. By then I had expanded my interests greatly and I could appreciate the whole thing a lot more.

It's rare or possibly nonexistent that I've gone 180 in the other direction where I dislike something I used to love, though. There are definitely examples where an album might've been overplayed by myself in the 90s and I don't have the urge to listen to it much anymore. Metallica's black album, for example. It was one of my entry points into hard rock and metal. I listened to it repeatedly back then. Nowadays if I want to listen to anything off of it, I'll avoid most of the songs used as singles and go to "Through the Never," "The God That Failed," and "My Friend of Misery." Since it was my entry point to the band, I don't really feel the same distaste for the album that other fans who followed the band from earlier albums do. (That being said, Master of Puppets became my favorite of theirs.)

For what it's worth, Megadeth's Countdown to Extinction was also an early entry point for me. It's very rare that I want to listen to most of that one anymore.
    The one that comes to mind immediately for me, which might seem kind of crazy, is Elegy by Amorphis. I was still easing my way into metal that you didn't hear on the radio at the time, and had really only gotten into Carcass at that point. I was familiar with Amorphis from having seen the "Black Winter Day" video several years before, but I wasn't a fan of theirs. Elegy was the first album of theirs that I bought on a whim, and I was immediately turned off. It was mainly the almost polka-like rhythm and chords, which is not what I was ready for or expecting, and it sounded goofy to me at the time. I didn't really listen to more than the beginning of the first 2 songs before shelving it.

I later got Tales From the Thousand Lakes, which I quite enjoyed, and decided to give Elegy another chance. I pretty quickly thought "what was I thinking, this is awesome!" and it quickly became one of my favorite albums, which it still is to this day.

Elegy was definitely not an insta-like for me when it came out, but it grew on me within a week or two. I really got into them incorporating some "weirder" stuff into their music. But at first I was disappointed that it didn't sound exactly like Tales from the Thousand Lakes. Tunoela was even more of a shock because they almost completely dropped the growled vocals, but now I see it as one of the best of the Pasi Koskinen era (below Elegy, though).

• FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    That's a difficult question. There are rarely albums that I think are absolutely horrible and then change my opinion all the day to masterpieces. It's more albums that I think are average or decent quality and then they keep growing on me.

I'm still not 'there' with Morbid Angel's Formulas Fatal to the Flesh, but it has certainly continue to improve on me every time I sit down with it. Maybe one day I'll revere it like others seem to.

For the inverse, I will say I thought highly of Samael's Reign of Light for a brief while, and now I think it's truly mediocre at best.

Didn't I's Between Two Worlds have the whole review re-written or am I just going crazy?

edited November 2019

Didn't I's Between Two Worlds have the whole review re-written or am I just going crazy?

I'm not sure if I re-wrote the review, but after a couple years that one really grew on me by the time I wrote it up. So yeah initially I wasn't too hot on that one either, I think I even talk about that in the review itself.

autothrall on
This discussion has been closed.