As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cliff Simon memorial [Stargate] thread

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I refuse that idea because it softened the blow of Farscape being canceled by giving me more Ben Browder/Claudia Black on screen.

It also gave us the joke about earth's limited gene pool for men and her section in episode 200!

"I have... NO idea what that was."

sig.gif
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Well, this thread was timely
    AN UPDATE FROM STARGATE COMMAND
    Dear Stargate Command member,

These past two years have been a joy for us to interact with you on Stargate Command. We have enjoyed our chats with you in our forums, reading your feedback, and most of all spending time with you at Cons around the world. We’ve learned that while you’ve supported our platform and mission, you prefer to engage with the franchise and fellow fans on communities where you already are: Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.

As a result, we have elected to end the Stargate Command service. As of 12:00pm US Pacific Time on 12/31/19, the Stargate Command service (both at stargatecommand.co and the Stargate Command apps) will be discontinued and all accounts closed.

We will be transitioning some Stargate Command content to YouTube. You can read more about the discontinuation of the Stargate Command service and the transition to YouTube in our FAQ.

Stargate fans truly are the best fans and we’re excited to continue connecting with you on the channels and via the communities you love.

Sincerely,
    The Stargate Command team

In retrospect, the streaming service dedicated solely to Stargate, a franchise that mostly ended 8 years ago, and the exclusive home of an entirely fucking terrible short series that served pitifully as a revival

well, it’s baffling that it was even up this long

sig.gif
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Regarding the Asgard and the protected planets treaty with the Go'auld, my understanding was that the Asgard signed it while they were secretly in an exisitential fight against the replicators. They tried to pass it off as indifference towards the natives of the Milky Way Galaxy in order to avoid letting on to the Go'auld, but I am pretty sure they straight up tell SG-1 the truth of why they haven't done more.

Caedwyr wrote: »
    Regarding the Asgard and the protected planets treaty with the Go'auld, my understanding was that the Asgard signed it while they were secretly in an exisitential fight against the replicators. They tried to pass it off as indifference towards the natives of the Milky Way Galaxy in order to avoid letting on to the Go'auld, but I am pretty sure they straight up tell SG-1 the truth of why they haven't done more.

It’s both. It’s true that by the late 90s the Asgard truly were in no longer a good enough shape to actually enforce their treaty, but they got there in the first place through arrogance and could have wiped out the Goa’uld much earlier if they hadn’t been so sure they were above it all.

sig.gif
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »

It’s both. It’s true that by the late 90s the Asgard truly were in no longer a good enough shape to actually enforce their treaty, but they got there in the first place through arrogance and could have wiped out the Goa’uld much earlier if they hadn’t been so sure they were above it all.

And the Ori wouldn't have been much of a threat if the Asgard were around.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    expendable wrote: »

Literally the asgard being useless to the problem is the subject of the last episode of the series. Their tech like instantly summons Ori ships in far greater numbers than can be handled.

In a full scale combat the goa uld would have won. The asgard were basically a single planet species of pseudo immortals. Not just below replacement rate they flat out don't reproduce. The only asgard that exist are the asgard from thousands of years ago jumping between ever degrading clone bodies. They had advanced weaponry that could outdo the goa'uld in single combat and could defend their world, but the idea they could take on the entire high council was always a total bluff. If the goa'uld weren't so petty and constantly warring with one another they probably could have figured that out and taken out the asgard, but they kept on believing the asgardian ruse because the protected planets treaty seemingly bound asgardian hands. Basically the goa'uld thought the asgard had way more force projection than they ever actually did and the protected planet treaty placed a ton of restrictions on the actions of the goa'uld but allowed the asgard to behave as they already had been.

Sleep on
  • SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    Also, SG-1 has one of the best Time Loop episodes of all time.

It's mandatory that I post this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VjJR7_9FX8

Sleep wrote: »

Literally the asgard being useless to the problem is the subject of the last episode of the series. Their tech like instantly summons Ori ships in far greater numbers than can be handled.

In a full scale combat the goa uld would have won. The asgard were basically a single planet species of pseudo immortals. Not just below replacement rate they flat out don't reproduce. The only asgard that exist are the asgard from thousands of years ago jumping between ever degrading clone bodies. They had advanced weaponry that could outdo the goa'uld in single combat and could defend their world, but the idea they could take on the entire high council was always a total bluff. If the goa'uld weren't so petty and constantly warring with one another they probably could have figured that out and taken out the asgard, but they kept on believing the asgardian ruse because the protected planets treaty seemingly bound asgardian hands. Basically the goa'uld thought the asgard had way more force projection than they ever actually did and the protected planet treaty placed a ton of restrictions on the actions of the goa'uld but allowed the asgard to behave as they already had been.

I thought it was just the Asgard Core or something drawing them in, there are previous episodes where Asgard tech-enhanced ships were used against Ori ships, but not weapons or the Cores. Maybe there was an Asgard ship itself involved a couple times? It's been a number of years since I watched though.

Steam

I thought it was just the Asgard Core or something drawing them in, there are previous episodes where Asgard tech-enhanced ships were used against Ori ships, but not weapons or the Cores. Maybe there was an Asgard ship itself involved a couple times? It's been a number of years since I watched though.

It was the core, but asgard weapons weren't a major factor of the war with the ori. Nor did they heavily participate (they were busy dying). The asgard weapons were a major factor in pegasus against the wraith and the replicators there.

Oh man I forgot to mention that I think atlantis has by one of the best fan service episodes in all media with the episode midway [s04e17]. The episode with t'ealc and ronon dex.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Oh man I forgot to mention that I think atlantis has by one of the best fan service episodes in all media with the episode midway [s04e17]. The episode with t'ealc and ronon dex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZkqOKD1uFU
    I swear they started with this scene and wrote the rest of the episode around it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    I'll admit I'm just marathoning atlantis right now. Jumped into the episode "the queen" [S05E08], and I gotta say, holy shit the fact that the whole full cosmetic surgery happens off screen, perfectly, twice (first to do then to undo it), is simply amazing.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Forget Galaxy's Edge, give me a ride where I can pilot a Puddle Jumper.

I love it when sci-fi shows use super-advanced cosmetic surgery to make themselves look like the aliens.
    I want one to just say what it really is:
    "Doctor, we need our team to go undercover on a Klingon Bird Of Prey, can you surgically alter them to appear as Klingons?"
    "I guess I could, but we do have these rubber foreheads. Add a wig, some make up and some false teeth and you'll be set."

Holy shit just watched Sg1 5x12 wormhole extreme I forgot how deeply meta that episode was

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Holy shit just watched Sg1 5x12 wormhole extreme I forgot how deeply meta that episode was

And "200" does an amazing job of stepping it up in every way.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I fucking love Wormhole Extreme.

Einzel wrote: »
    I fucking love Wormhole Extreme.

I heard that they stole the idea from an amateur scifi writer.

Martin: So three shots disintegrates them!
    Director: Okay, you know what? I'm gonna pretend you didn't say that, because that is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard you say.

Steam
    SG-1: S01E04 Emancipation is the exact same script as Star Trek TNG: S01E04 Code of Honor. And they're both objectively bad.

This makes sense because the same woman wrote them.

Steam
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    SG-1: S01E04 Emancipation is the exact same script as Star Trek TNG: S01E04 Code of Honor. And they're both objectively bad.

This makes sense because the same woman wrote them.

And they're both the fourth episode. Creepy.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    My wife had seen the movie but not the show, so we started watching it.

Not super surprising, but the full frontal scene in episode 1 got completely edited on Prime.

Jragghen wrote: »
    Not super surprising, but the full frontal scene in episode 1 got completely edited on Prime.
    I might not put that on Prime, the showrunners were always pretty open about hating that scene and wanting to cut it. In fact, you might have gotten the directors cut version that removed a lot of stuff that they regretted. Did Carter give the reproductive organs speech?

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I might not put that on Prime, the showrunners were always pretty open about hating that scene and wanting to cut it. In fact, you might have gotten the directors cut version that removed a lot of stuff that they regretted. Did Carter give the reproductive organs speech?

I don't recall seeing it, but I also don't remember what it originally was for the comparison to land. nothing stood out, at least.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, it started out on Showtime and the first "episode" was basically a TV movie and it had boobs because "edgy premium cable".

BLM - ACAB
    Ignore the pilot, the first scene breaks the rest of the series.

The nudity was a network mandate and the showrunners explicitly did not want it

And it just clashes so hard with how absolutely nothing else in that whole franchise ever comes close to breaking PG-13

sig.gif
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular

I forget what scene that is.

BLM - ACAB
    edited November 2019
    The Geek wrote: »

I forget what scene that is.

Oh no im mistaken in my recollection they totally redial the gate they just redial it without confronting the fact that the interface is totally new to the jafa

Sleep on
    It happens off screen, so you can just infer they have one of the handy portable dialling things that T'ealc uses in Continuum.
    Which would make sense. They don't even send probes through to see what they're walking into, let alone if there's a dialling device. Making sure you have a way to dial out no matter what is just common sense.

klemming wrote: »
    It happens off screen, so you can just infer they have one of the handy portable dialling things that T'ealc uses in Continuum.
    Which would make sense. They don't even send probes through to see what they're walking into, let alone if there's a dialling device. Making sure you have a way to dial out no matter what is just common sense.

Technically they do send probes, in the form of Jaffa whom the Goa'uld see as disposable.

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Jaffa do know how to manually dial a gate though. They don't explicitly show how they dial it, but that way would be consistent with known Jaffa tactics from later in the series.

Edit: Get distracted and get super beat.

Gnizmo on
    In any case, the first season has a few cases of them not following the rules.
    I think there's at least one occasion where they get a signal from whoever's dialling in before the gate actually connects. That's some strong radio.

Yeah I don't think they had a strong sense of what the "rules" of the universe (or at least the stargates in particular) until well into the 1st season. I think either during or as a result of "Solitudes" (where they find the Antarctic gate) they were like "okay we need to know how these things work" and then they figured that out and someone said, "Oh I know what we need, a magic mirror that transports you to an alternate reality with absolutely no explanation for how that technology could even exist in the first place."

Stargate fandom website says the Mirror was made by the Ancients but I don't even remember that being explored, or where that would have been mentioned

Mirror planet is also the planet where they found the ancient memory device that connected Jack to barber Joe.

The mirror was incredibly powerful and completely unsecured, of course it was an Ancient design.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Love the new thread title

Children's rights are human rights.
    Honestly that line was just a golden piece of writing. I wanna know who on the writing team came up with it.

My favorite thing about it is that I can absolutely see it being a useful phrase to actually communicate an idea.