As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Painting Thread a retrospective

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I'm still kind of torn on the skull placement. I like it on both parts, just can't decide which I like more.

I also wanted to try and paint glowing runes on the shoulders but I can't really get the effect going like I want. I'm doing the same thing I did for the shield on my first imperial knight but it isn't coming out right.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    the skull on top of the carapace was I felt a better place for it

Brainleech wrote: »
    the skull on top of the carapace was I felt a better place for it

Yea, I'm leaning more toward that position for it. Just something about the shoulder keeps drawing me in though. I think it is because it reminds me of a necromancer from diablo.

I did decide to work on some basing ideas while contemplating the skull.

This is for my brother's bloat drone. I used cork to create elevated ground, covered it in stirland mud, and based the water ways with caliban green. I then glazed in a neon green and then neon yellow more centered in the neon green.

I kind of wanted to cover the water ways in that new black crackle paint from GW and then cover the water ways in woodland scenics realistic water with a green tint but I feel like that will make the base too busy. I might either end it with the black crackle paint or skip the black crackle paint and just put the tinted woodland scenics water on there.

Pic for current progress.
    ctkadnsgnb6m.jpg
    88m5bfvzyodv.jpg

Also got a pic of the castellan with the second LED diode in.
    hfyesg632eqx.jpg

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Anyone know how well reaper bones takes the contrast spray primers (grey seer, specifically)? I know some primers don't work well with bones.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    Anyone know how well reaper bones takes the contrast spray primers (grey seer, specifically)? I know some primers don't work well with bones.

They work really well. Primed my frostgrave warband with contrast colors and had no issues.

I did not wrap the base I put the woodland scenic water on correctly and the water went around the back of the rocks. Nothing spilled out, just got places I didn't want it.

I hope painting it brown fixes it or maybe I can remove it easily?

I was feeling dumb for not dry brushing the rocks before pouring the water but now that I see I need to tidy up anyway I feel less dumb.

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    A king is born. (it's hard to see, but he has a little crown.)
    ufbh2dxn7axj.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    King Pork and his smoker club?

The water shrunk for some reason with the base I was working on. Didn't see any leaks. Might try to fix it by adding a bit more to that spot.

Got a lot of clean up to do.
    z6rlgwx9e9nm.jpeg
    biohzk29vsql.jpeg

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

They work really well. Primed my frostgrave warband with contrast colors and had no issues.

Super. Gonna make that job a lot easier.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    The water shrunk for some reason with the base I was working on. Didn't see any leaks. Might try to fix it by adding a bit more to that spot.

z6rlgwx9e9nm.jpeg
    biohzk29vsql.jpeg

What acrylic water did you use?

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I spent most of the evening building a Morghast and I already dread having to transport this model.

• W2W2 Registered User regular
    jhgu7ogwy5li.jpg

More Gaslands - while I have bought some bespoke bits for my other cars I am enjoying how lo-fi these models can be, just using bits of cardboard and plastic and whatever odds and ends you have laying around to up-armor these death machines is cool.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I spent most of the evening building a Morghast and I already dread having to transport this model.

I hated building mine and frankly, I don't plan on using them much if at all.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln

z6rlgwx9e9nm.jpeg
    biohzk29vsql.jpeg

I used the woodland scenics real water stuff.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Too lazy to take better photos at the moment. It was good timing that I'm waiting on some specialty glue to arrive before continuing with tiny ship - I finished a commission~

Some D&D monster that's the end boss of a campaign or something? It's really weird, anyway. <_<
    hf2l342r72dx.jpg

See, I totally still paint things sometimes. :P

ArcticLancer on

Super. Gonna make that job a lot easier.

Reaper minis work so well with contrast. Really anything with a lot of detail does. I plan on using contrast paints for my Infinity models.

I only wish it looked better on big flat surfaces. I wanted to do my Primaris Space Wolves in the contrast Space Wolves paint but I don't want to use it on the vehicles or dreadnoughts.
    Too lazy to take better photos at the moment. It was good timing that I'm waiting on some specialty glue to arrive before continuing with tiny ship - I finished a commission~

Some D&D monster that's the end boss of a campaign or something? It's really weird, anyway. <_<
    hf2l342r72dx.jpg

See, I totally still paint things sometimes. :P

That is horrifying and revives my desire to drop money on that kickstarter for wicked foundations. The models they are dropping look awesome.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

z6rlgwx9e9nm.jpeg
    biohzk29vsql.jpeg

Yeah, that stuff will shrink down. When I was filling in bases on my Wrath of Kings stuff, I had to use a few layers of it.
    22688481_10155673501398847_1816407967529266537_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ohc=6UvKZD5kWVoAQnKc6cf_Dp_A9jVWfuuXSd1CjCH5UgaRPDRWP4LXB1HJA&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=801d3f3413abc96f5a9cc02bbcb94aa3&oe=5E4050D2

23244047_10155707266208847_2946423104134442982_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ohc=IZQxY2o1bHgAQlrknVnoqM9ZNeIrq25ZlR-HuGPeWWvmMB9zXWtaN2KIA&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=a7c5fec8d52b60667e1ef36111e9abcd&oe=5E83851F

Extreaminatus on

z6rlgwx9e9nm.jpeg
    biohzk29vsql.jpeg

Yeah, that stuff will shrink down. When I was filling in bases on my Wrath of Kings stuff, I had to use a few layers of it.
    22688481_10155673501398847_1816407967529266537_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ohc=6UvKZD5kWVoAQnKc6cf_Dp_A9jVWfuuXSd1CjCH5UgaRPDRWP4LXB1HJA&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=801d3f3413abc96f5a9cc02bbcb94aa3&oe=5E4050D2

23244047_10155707266208847_2946423104134442982_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ohc=IZQxY2o1bHgAQlrknVnoqM9ZNeIrq25ZlR-HuGPeWWvmMB9zXWtaN2KIA&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=a7c5fec8d52b60667e1ef36111e9abcd&oe=5E83851F

Good to know, I thought I had messed something up.

I added another layer last night it should be done by tonight. Hopefully it comes out better this time. I used some putty for mounting stuff around the base since I use that to hold bases to things for painting. It has worked pretty well, no leaks at all.

• KoregKoreg Registered User regular

z6rlgwx9e9nm.jpeg
    biohzk29vsql.jpeg

What did you add to the water for that green?

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Nurgle's Rot technical paint slopped onto the bottom of the base and in various places under each successive layer. Then, after the last layer, kinda gooped it onto the sides of the rocks and grass to make it look like gunk building up.

Nurgle's Rot technical paint slopped onto the bottom of the base and in various places under each successive layer. Then, after the last layer, kinda gooped it onto the sides of the rocks and grass to make it look like gunk building up.

I'm trying to figure out how to mix woodland scenics water effect with nurgles rot so I can make some disgusting waves on the base.

Honestly, it's probably not worth it. It takes ALLOT of Nurgle's Rot to get that kind of effect.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

I'm trying to figure out how to mix woodland scenics water effect with nurgles rot so I can make some disgusting waves on the base.

If you check out different railroad/diorama scenery videos on youtube, they generally have a method for coloring water blue when making water effects with acryllic. I'd recommend doing what they do except with like cheap hobby paint green instead.

Edit: I think generally they actually use like pvc glue for wave effects on top of water effects. you could easily dye that stuff green but it would require a bunch of testing I think to not just get white with a slight green tint....

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    I've been looking at a few. The woodland scenics water effect looks really good on the woodland scenics water and really any water looking stuff. I bought it a while back and I've been looking for a reason to use it. With a little nurgle rot mixed with it, the water effect turns pretty nasty.
    3eurcor3fsz7.jpg

Also finished the second layer on the drone base. Looks a lot better but there are some glaring screw ups that I'm not sure how to fix.
    gy5hg9prlj25.jpeg
    berdb5dcxjfv.jpeg

I am thinking about getting the acrylic water to add to my bases for most of my armies. The theme I am going for is jungle and I am thinking about doing this to the epic scale warhound titan I got to show it walked though a grove or such but getting nothing but Z scale tropic trees is a pain

I am thinking about getting the acrylic water to add to my bases for most of my armies. The theme I am going for is jungle and I am thinking about doing this to the epic scale warhound titan I got to show it walked though a grove or such but getting nothing but Z scale tropic trees is a pain

From what I've experienced so far with this woodland scenics stuff I would almost recommend a clear resin instead. From the videos I've seen after the shrinking issue with the woodland scenics real water stuff it seems like clear resin just works so much better.

Also the GW bases are a pain to deal with when trying to close off sections of the base so the water material doesn't flow out. The angle I think is why the base I just put a picture up has that pushed in lip. The weird part is that those parts did have the water on them. I think I may have pushed it in when I was putting the putty around the base. I think I might try cutting strips from a soda bottle and wrapping that around.

From what I've experienced so far with this woodland scenics stuff I would almost recommend a clear resin instead. From the videos I've seen after the shrinking issue with the woodland scenics real water stuff it seems like clear resin just works so much better.

Also the GW bases are a pain to deal with when trying to close off sections of the base so the water material doesn't flow out. The angle I think is why the base I just put a picture up has that pushed in lip. The weird part is that those parts did have the water on them. I think I may have pushed it in when I was putting the putty around the base. I think I might try cutting strips from a soda bottle and wrapping that around.

Tape good old masking tape

I tried tape the first time. The issue I had with it is that it wont adhere to the rocky parts and the water flows behind them.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular

Have you tried aluminum tape? I've used it for pouring resin desktops. It's fairly rigid

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6

I tried tape the first time. The issue I had with it is that it wont adhere to the rocky parts and the water flows behind them.

It's hard to explain I feel most of the ones that use flower acrylic water use plastic to contain it but let it sit for days

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    First time posting my stuff (and I'm going to cheat and put my friend's stuff as well.

Cross posting from the 40k thread

ysBqXIe.jpg

Sks0jCC.jpg

Close ups of (some of my) T'au with the Riptide photo bombing the Commanders.
    lnKEWEY.jpg
    lq7JeMH.jpg
    aOK5lJm.jpg
    S1CgJda.jpg
    0rAyTNw.jpg

Close ups of my friend's Mechanicus (he's annoyingly really good)
    oedugFe.jpg
    izDMvxU.jpg
    fsoBp1U.jpg
    0f4cYzx.jpg
    daq3vlU.jpg

PSN Fleety2009
    So has anyone tried contrast paint over non contrast primer yet? I have an army to prime, could I get away with just getting the base contrast brush on flesh color for the contrast parts I want to do on my Ogors over rattle can white? I'm trying to avoid having to buy the $texas priced spray cans for primer.

steam_sig.png
    So has anyone tried contrast paint over non contrast primer yet? I have an army to prime, could I get away with just getting the base contrast brush on flesh color for the contrast parts I want to do on my Ogors over rattle can white? I'm trying to avoid having to buy the $texas priced spray cans for primer.

I have

I have

Did it turn out ok? If I have to prime white, then do contrast base then contrast layer, I am not sure its worth the effort over a normal base layer then fleshshading it.

steam_sig.png

I have

Did it turn out ok? If I have to prime white, then do contrast base then contrast layer, I am not sure its worth the effort over a normal base layer then fleshshading it.

Well at first I tired it as a paint on my black templars
    92ig7493peue.png
    8qbh87h7bfna.png

My Tyranids
    fjoykpsh1ygu.png
    As an experiment on my wraithguard
    4ncxbaqj02ih.png

I ended up doing their loincloths as it was cloth like

edited November 2019
    I airbrush Vallejo light grey primer on everything. The results are close enough to grey seer I imagine most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

That said I've yet to find an airbrush primer that is close to wraithbone
    @DiannaoChong

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Wraithbone is odd as a primer and a paint
    As I used to paint that plastic bone color for wraithguard/wraithlords
    2bsu1s85awpy.png
    8q1cmd0884xh.png
    It's wraithguard over white

I did a tyranid warrior primed with Wraithguard but it did not turn out the way I thought

edited November 2019
    Getting back into Death Guard after picking up some Nurgle Daemons recently...

Started off with contrast for the armor and really didn't like it. Tried to bring it back in line with regular paints.

Also my first real attempt at experimenting with rust pigment and weathering. Gave it a shot on the weapon and horns, and it's not perfect but it's pretty good. It's certainly tougher to get right than Typhus corrosion and ryza rust drybrushing.

uz29earc8sfl.png

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I love Papa's boys so much, they have easily been my favorite 40k minis to paint.
    just a stupid amount of character in each one.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609